English vs Polish Voice Acting

+
Have to replay in Polish one day. Voice fits Geralt well.

YES! This, this right here!

The Polish actor sounds more natural because he's not doing the character as some twenty-year old college pretty-boy trying to sound as yet another shitireotypical Clint Eastwood imitator, that is over-used in every. single. solitary "dark/gritty world themed videogame/movie/cartoon series/and shiucking audio book reading that has ever been made in the US since....Well, Clint Eastwood...At least it's not John Wayne...

But he still sounds like a mumbling moron from Montana...

Yeah, I especially like the German/Russian and French language as well, as they're not North Americans in a medieval European setting...Hell, everyone sounds like they're from the British isles, yet the main characters all hail from northern California, or some such...

Seriously, this is no surprise, as North America has a loooooong track record of butchering the voice-work with imported games...Domestic however, 100% top notch, lol, take a look at Kingdom of Amalur, everyone is from the British Isles, yet it was made in North America!

BTW, there is always going to be exceptions, so I don't need to point it out any further. ;^)

Last edited:
Ah the never-ending dubbing discussions.

Ultimately what I've come to believe, is that unless the dub is just objectively terrible: awful and/or undirected VA's and/or with a terrible script, then really it doesn't matter. Witcher 1's English Dub falls extremely close to the above category. However W2 & W3's English dubs are great (Fantastic even IMO), and I can only assume that most/all the other dubs for W3 are fine too. Just use whichever you are the most used to, the most comfortable with, and with the voices you like the best.
Polish is definitely worth giving a shot at some point though, especially if you plan on multiple replays, just because it has that different (Some would call it more "fitting") flavour and you're always bound to find a number of characters you think sound better for whatever reason.

<3 Doug Cockle. I don't care what anyone says.

Last edited:
I went with Polish right off the bat. I have done the same with other games in the past, like Assassin's Creed 2 in Italian. The biggest benefit, imo, is that having the dialog in a language I don't understand completely masks any bad and corny acting. The Polish actors could all sound like huge dorks if I understood them, but I don't so they all sound really good and the voices fit the characters perfectly.

After this last patch it reset back to english and I could only play for a bit before I had to exit out and switch it back, Polish is the way to go.

Never tried any other than English dub.

On English though: I hate when VO get fucking butchered in a terrible way. Personally I prefer an English accent if I'm playing a medieval like rpg.

However I don't like my French NPCs to speak like the English. Or Konami replacing a VA who has been the voice of a whole series...

I really wanted to give Polish a go but I just had to turn back to English after act 1... I don't know... just doesn't feel right to me.

actually, being polish by birth i can tell you that's a pretty generic narrative voice in polish film (common in low budget tv dramas)... pretty bland, doesn't quite fit either. english VOs are much better, the wording and context is better too. the polish text, at least in that sequence was very... generic... and stale.

Looking forward to hearing the other main characters in Polish (Yennefer in particular).

probably generic polish soap opera actress. soap operas are a 'thing' in poland, very much so :\ like italy/spain too...

you know like america had days of our lives, the bold and the beautiful, etc... then moved on to reality tv? well, poland is still showing re-runs of those shows, or making domestic versions ;o

BUT.... BUT.... if you want to watch a funny polish film, watch 'chlopacy nie placza'... :D prob funniest gangster film ever. pretty good commentary too, and well-formed. although 'ghost dog: way of the samurai' was pretty good, american film, had some funny moments, just not quite that good.

Last edited:
Jacek Rozenek and Cockle are tied afaic. Mainly because Cockle has upped his game so much from TW1. Overall, English vos have more variety and quality though. Polish may bring more authenticity but the NPCs still sound samey, which has been the case from the beginning. This shows just how good the English VOs are, as well as the artistic direction in cutscenes. Skip to 15:30.

It doesn't get any better.

Last edited:
The english voiceacting is fine.. except for the american voice actors. All of them. They're jarring and really out of place, they feel like they're more at home in GTA 5 than in witcher.

Let me say, i don't for a moment have an issue with Americans, or those voice actors.. as the same actors (triss and dandelion in particular) did a stunning job in WITCHER 2.. and you didn't even notice they were american.

Probably another CDPR lets try to be a good american copycat and failing hard. Which is pretty lame honestly as western gamers absolutely loved everything about cdpr before they decided to be a well behaved child in the american club. Almost bioware scene for scene sex scenes, platform exclusives to consoles.

Sorry. Its a shame they told the actors to be twice as a excited in this game for some reason where in the last game... tragic.

IsengrimR

I actually have to say, I'm polish, but I prefer english VA. Especially in Witcher 3, polish VA really seems out of place. I played Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 both in polish and english. In Witcher 1, polish VA is superior by a mile. In Witcher 2, there are both on more or less same level. In Witcher 3... well, I can't bring myself to play it in polish for more than 5 minutes.

Maybe it's just me.

I've said it time and time again, I honestly think the Polish VA is superior to the English one. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy the English VA, heck I don't even speak Polish for that matter, but the Polish version is just so much more pleasing to my ears.

Oh and Rozenek > Cockle. I love Cockle, but he can't stand up to Rozenek, IMO.

Top Bottom