Enhanced Edition installation problems and solutions

+
Hello, Kaplutnoir's the (nick)nameYesterday, in an impulse buy, I got myself this copy of TWEE. It cost me 35 €, which isn't too much, but is still some amount, and couldn't wait to get home. And that's where all the shit started, pardon my French please. First of all, the problem I found many on this forum had as well. Indeed, 'cyclic redundation check'. I tried installing again and again and again, but to no avail, at 80% of the installment proces, terror kept striking. After a while, I custom installed the game, without the extra adventures and the D'jinni creator. Worked well, finally, to my relief. Then I tried starting the game...to no freaking avail. After showing the 'loading disk' icon on my mouse cursor for about 5-10 minutes, it said I had to insert the original copy of TWEE. But this IS the original copy. I found several folks on this forum who seemed to have this problem too, bugt I didn't get a clear answer on how to avoid this. After 10 000 curses and pulling out nearly all of my hair, I decided installing again. And guess what? CYCLIC REDUNDATION CHECK FFS!!! Again, pardon my french, but how would you react yourself if you found yourself back at point zero after two days of trying to install this game? I just wanted to say, I really looked forward to playing this game, I was anxious to get home and start playing from the moment I payed at the store. Thanks Atari, for ripping me off so wonderfully. Not that I'm broke now, but when I lay down 35€, I expect getting something in return for it, right?I just want to say, I just gave up trying to install the game. I'm gonna have a lot more fun out of it by burning it in a huge bonfire. That's all I'd like right now, sit down with a beer, have a smoke, and enjoy watching that bloody hairtearing uninstallable game slowly being eaten by the flames.I hate you, Atari, and I even hate the Witcher a whole lot more. What's even funnier, as I started typing this last line of this reply, the forum started bugging like crazy as well. Guess you guys have a reputation to hold high huh?I'd say with sincere greetings as a closure, but hey, you know I don't mean that.( I was trying to install the Withcer once more during this text, and I'm glad to inform you that this time, it said it couldn't install by cause of an error in an I/O device, thanks again Atari)Bye,an extremely displeased customer.

I bought the normal Witcher version two days ago, and I'm having trouble upgrading to Enhanced Edition. I can start up the normal version and have completed registration for my game. However, I can't seem to install TWEE. I can start the installer in safe mode, but it will not allow me to log in. Networking IS enabled, the connection is working, I am even able to login to these forums in IE... but every time I input my login info in the TWEE setup, it fails to connect (with either "could not connect to remote server" or "unable to establish connection"). Antivirus or firewall are not running (safe mode!) and I have tried to switch off any cookie- and security related filtering and security option I can find in IE. It still won't connect. Is there a problem with the server? If not, what on earth can I do to get the connection working?My system is XP SP3. I have uninstalled .net Framework and updated back to 2.0, as well. More suggestions?

Kaplutnoir said:
Yesterday, in an impulse buy, I got myself this copy of TWEE. It cost me 35 €, which isn't too much, but is still some amount, and couldn't wait to get home. And that's where all the ****** started, pardon my French please. First of all, the problem I found many on this forum had as well. Indeed, 'cyclic redundation check'. I tried installing again and again and again, but to no avail, at 80% of the installment proces, terror kept striking. After a while, I custom installed the game, without the extra adventures and the D'jinni creator. Worked well, finally, to my relief. I'd say with sincere greetings as a closure, but hey, you know I don't mean that.( I was trying to install the Withcer once more during this text, and I'm glad to inform you that this time, it said it couldn't install by cause of an error in an I/O device, thanks again Atari)
Hello, after the game installation you should update to the latest version as the launcher was informing you: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=21009.0 I/O errors and CRC errors are prolly by antivirus or DVD software running while the installation process is working, do disable and quit any running application while the game is installing, and before starting the gameif the game still crashes after the hotfix installation, read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed ( use the older version of PCWizard if you have problems with the newer one )do attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder too
Kaplutnoir said:
I am even able to login to these forums in IE... but every time I input my login info in the TWEE setup, it fails to connect (with either "could not connect to remote server" or "unable to establish connection"). Antivirus or firewall are not running (safe mode!) and I have tried to switch off any cookie- and security related filtering and security option I can find in IE.
read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 ( there are tips about this and links to the needed .NET framework versions; do check the system clock tip as well )

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
I am even able to login to these forums in IE... but every time I input my login info in the TWEE setup, it fails to connect (with either "could not connect to remote server" or "unable to establish connection"). Antivirus or firewall are not running (safe mode!) and I have tried to switch off any cookie- and security related filtering and security option I can find in IE.
read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 ( there are tips about this and links to the needed .NET framework versions; do check the system clock tip as well )
Could you specify which bits of the FAQ apply to my situation? I have been going through the parts "Q: In case of Patch 1.4 installation errors" and "Q: The REGISTER.EXE keeps failing to register or Patch says i need to register my game" (although the latter isn't, exactly, my problem). I had missed that I should install also .net 3.0, thanks, I will try that next. The FAQ says not to install SP1 or 3.5 Beta, however, 3.5 is already OUT of beta - is it still unsafe to install these packs? Windows Update keeps trying to install them automatically on my machine. Date/time already confirmed and correct. The only thing I have not tried, under those two questions, is installing .net Framework 3.0. If that doesn't work, what then? (I'm not at home, so I'll try it later tonight.)

Okay, installed .net framework 3.0, so I've now tried every solution under the tpoics that apply to my situation... no dice, still won't connect on verifying the registration. Any more advice?

hattara said:
Okay, installed .net framework 3.0, so I've now tried every solution under the tpoics that apply to my situation... no dice, still won't connect on verifying the registration. Any more advice?
can you test it on another computer that has a different internet connection/ISP ?

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
can you test it on another computer that has a different internet connection/ISP ?
Not really, no. What would that accomplish, in any case? It's MY computer in MY house I want to play it on, not someone else's... :D

hattara said:
Not really, no. What would that accomplish, in any case? It's MY computer in MY house I want to play it on, not someone else's... :D
it won't need an internet connection after the patch installation anyway, but this way we can exclude your ISP as the error source

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
it won't need an internet connection after the patch installation anyway, but this way we can exclude your ISP as the error source
I don't really have the means to transport my entire machine to another house to test, and testing on another computer altogether would be pointless (if it installs, I still couldn't be sure if it's the computer or the ISP that's the problem). The apartment complex I live in has their own network in every apartment, so just borrowing a neighbor's connection wouldn't work... I guess I could try taking my router out of the equation. Any other suggestions? And do you know if .net framework 3.5SP is still a bad idea to install?

hattara said:
I don't really have the means to transport my entire machine to another house to test, and testing on another computer altogether would be pointless (if it installs, I still couldn't be sure if it's the computer or the ISP that's the problem). The apartment complex I live in has their own network in every apartment, so just borrowing a neighbor's connection wouldn't work... I guess I could try taking my router out of the equation. Any other suggestions?
not really :wall:

Hello, I'm new here and I'm writing for a very important matter, even if I've not played the game YET.I've just got The Witcher this Saturday after reading so well about it, so I've got a basic game version in a local store (Italy) by luck. After messing up for a while, I've been able to understand how updates work, but I have also seen that - in order to update the game - there is the need to digit username and password each time.Now this can be a serious trouble because *I LOVE* to keep the saves of my games and to open them every some and then! So this matter is confusing me a lot: if I want to play again this game in the future - thing that can be - I guess that the patches that I've got to upgrade my game to Enhanced Version will still ask again for User ID and Password even when the game will be no longer supported and, this, got discontinued. So I shall not be able to update the game anymore, right? And so I will probably not able to play my saved games and I will "loose" my game!Maybe it sounds stupid, but it is something very important for me.I'm seriously thinking to bring the game back to the store and ask for refunding, waiting for the enhanced version DVD. If so, I must bring the CD back to the shop until next saturday! In the mean time, do you think that I can still play the basic game updated and then move the saves to a "fresh" Enchanced version, if I choose to buy that one?Please, answer quickly: time is short...Thank you a lot!

Orion79 said:
I've just got The Witcher this Saturday after reading so well about it, so I've got a basic game version in a local store (Italy) by luck. After messing up for a while, I've been able to understand how updates work, but I have also seen that - in order to update the game - there is the need to digit username and password each time.Now this can be a serious trouble because *I LOVE* to keep the saves of my games and to open them every some and then! So this matter is confusing me a lot: if I want to play again this game in the future - thing that can be - I guess that the patches that I've got to upgrade my game to Enhanced Version will still ask again for User ID and Password even when the game will be no longer supported and, this, got discontinued. So I shall not be able to update the game anymore, right? And so I will probably not able to play my saved games and I will "loose" my game!
the savegames will workstop worrying about the future, as i presume that in case of any problems regarding the well being of the company or of the servers, a patch will be provided so that the game can still be updated :beer:

Recently updated from XP SP3 to Vista SP1, and had serious issues with the whole log-in/register/error thing. Adjusted things as much as seemed reasonable, and it still didn't work, and gave some serious thought to simply installing it on my husband's computer, because I knew for a fact that the game had liked XP. This bit was the important bit - the game likes XP better than Vista. I copied the launcher and register folders, the launcher and register .exe files, and TheWitcherGDF.dll onto a small USB flash drive, jogged upstairs, hooked it up to his computer (running XP SP3), clicked the register.exe file, and proceeded to logon and register with no problems! It was the same house, going through the same router, etc... I then ran regedit, found the HKEY USER file, exported it, popped the drive out, returned to my Vista, popped it into my registry, and ran my witcher upgrade - and it worked. No problems, no hassles, no hesitations. I know some people are having problems with XP installs, but try slapping those same files onto a flash drive and pester an XP buddy to get it registered. PS - The post I based my original info on said to get both HKEYS - the software and the user files from registry. If you do what I did, there will only be a current user file, not a local machine file, on the computer you hijack/beg/borrow/steal to register on. This is because the game is not installed on the secondary computer, only on the uncooperative primary one. Once you bring the current user HKEY together with the other, it will allow you to login and it will acknowledge your registry.Good Luck! ;D

mrk-z said:
is it okay that it modifing my files around 6 hours?oOI've got 4gb RAMCore 2 duo 3ghzXP x64
running the patch in Windows 95 Compatibility Mode as the FAQ said? and the hard drive light shows ongoing activity?

as you probably see only thing what is on my way to get "enchanted edition" 1.4 is "there is no old language pack pla pla pla" :wall: so were I can get it?

Metalflame said:
as you probably see only thing what is on my way to get "enchanted edition" 1.4 is "there is no old language pack pla pla pla" :wall: so were I can get it?
from here: http://www.thewitcher.com/community/en/www/installation_of_twee_in_four_easy_steps.html( you need both TWEE_upgrade.exe and the language pack files in the same folder with their original names )

Hi there,there is currently no way to apply patch 1.4, because it's bugged and it says that it will not apply because the game is not registered.Patch 1.2 works though.Is there a way to patch Patch 1.4, so that one can actually update the game?Registering is not an option as it doesn't work.Also, where do I set the refresh rate? obviously it's not in the graphics menu.thanx.

I keep trying to install the patch, and it keeps failing constantly to register. It is fucking ridicilous, because I just installed the actual game and it registered just fucking perfectly. Its just this god damned patch that wont register. All I get is an undefined 'error' message the first time I try to register it.Then I cancel the little window, and another opens up trying to login. This time I get this error message:notice: undefined variable:testlogin in /svr/www/secure/registration/index.php on line 301Seriously why the fuck would you need to register a fucking patch anyway? Its not as if you havent already fucking registered the god damned game. I'd n ot even bother to patch it if the original game wasnt so fucking ridicilously buggy from the beginning on. Shoddy fucking work. If I dont get this to work, I want my damn money back. Last fucking time I buy a game from a bunch of morons. INSTALLATION IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUCKING PAINLESS. REGISTRATION IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUCKING PAINLESS.

Zelos said:
Registering is not an option as it doesn't work.
why?read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 there are tips ther ( safemode and etc )do list what you tried and what errors you got
Zelos said:
Also, where do I set the refresh rate? obviously it's not in the graphics menu.
the resolution and refresh rate are set up through your video cards control panel
Zelos said:
I keep trying to install the patch, and it keeps failing constantly to register. It is ****** ridicilous, because I just installed the actual game and it registered just ****** perfectly. Its just this god damned patch that wont register.
the patch only checks if you are a registered userread the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 there are tips ther ( safemode and etc )do list what you tried and what errors you got

Top Bottom