Enhanced Edition installation problems and solutions

+
Yah i need help because i mean it says i need administrator permissions even though im the only admin on my pc.
You didn`t say which OS you`re using so i`m assuming 7 or 8 . Follow the link and download and install the 1.5 patch
http://en.cdprojektred.com/support/?support-product=the-witcher . Not 1.6.2 as that`s for MAC .
Then go to this link http://www.tagesprotection.com/main.htm?page=minimum.htm and click the 5.5 at the bottom then select the version that is correct for your system . After downloading then right click and run as admin and follow the prompts to uninstall the Tages drivers . Once complete then try the game .

EDIT : If downloading isn`t a problem you can use your cd-key to claim a digital backup copy from GOG with all patches already installed . http://www.gog.com/witcher/backup

Last edited:
Excuse me for my bad english ^^
I'm having a problem with the game and I've done and everything I found on the internet and nothing works.
The game closes is always alone and suddenly, for no apparent reason. No error quotes. He simply closes. Maximum appears: "The witcher has stopped working" and closes ...
Already added the DEP, I have put in compatibility mode, already started as administrator and always the same thing happens.
My version is the Steam Enhanced Edition Director's Cut 1.4.5.1304.
I've tried installing Patch 1.5 but it's this error: "Can not identify the installed version Unable to patch." And does not install ...
Please help me, I really want to play and is practically impossible to him closing all the time.

Note: There is only one save game, as many say that this happens because of many saves and send off. My only has a save and the same thing happens.
My Windows is 8.1 PRO 64X
Core 2 Quad q6600
GTX 550ti 1G GDDR5
Ram 4G
Already tested at all resolutions and the same problama happens.

Excuse me for my bad english ^^
I'm having a problem with the game and I've done and everything I found on the internet and nothing works.
The game closes is always alone and suddenly, for no apparent reason. No error quotes. He simply closes. Maximum appears: "The witcher has stopped working" and closes ...
Already added the DEP, I have put in compatibility mode, already started as administrator and always the same thing happens.
My version is the Steam Enhanced Edition Director's Cut 1.4.5.1304.
I've tried installing Patch 1.5 but it's this error: "Can not identify the installed version Unable to patch." And does not install ...
Please help me, I really want to play and is practically impossible to him closing all the time.

Note: There is only one save game, as many say that this happens because of many saves and send off. My only has a save and the same thing happens.
My Windows is 8.1 PRO 64X
Core 2 Quad q6600
GTX 550ti 1G GDDR5
Ram 4G
Already tested at all resolutions and the same problama happens.

The Steam version is already patched to the 1.5 version and that`s why the patch fails to install . There are a few things you can try . One of which is to download the witcher from GOG using your steam key here http://www.gog.com/witcher/backup . Another would be to test you memory using http://www.memtest.org

Hi Guys,
I was recently gifted The Witcher Enhanced Edition on Steam. I downloaded it, played it, enjoyed it and saved it. The next day when I went back wanting to play some more, I couldn't get passed the game menu (with new game, saved game, etc options). I'd log into Steam, the game would start, the strigoi scene would play in its entirety (regardless of whether or not I wanted it to) and then when the game menu came up, it would just freeze (becoming completely unresponsive even to keyboard controls etc). I've tried the patches, etc (though I see as well that the Steam version is already patched...my patch seems to have gone through anyway). I'm on 8.1 (not typically supported I know) but so is the person who gifted it to me and it works fine for them. Is there some other issue I'm overlooking here or is this about the O.S? PC specs are far above min requirements, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'd like to keep playing, so any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
I was recently gifted The Witcher Enhanced Edition on Steam. I downloaded it, played it, enjoyed it and saved it. The next day when I went back wanting to play some more, I couldn't get passed the game menu (with new game, saved game, etc options). I'd log into Steam, the game would start, the strigoi scene would play in its entirety (regardless of whether or not I wanted it to) and then when the game menu came up, it would just freeze (becoming completely unresponsive even to keyboard controls etc). I've tried the patches, etc (though I see as well that the Steam version is already patched...my patch seems to have gone through anyway). I'm on 8.1 (not typically supported I know) but so is the person who gifted it to me and it works fine for them. Is there some other issue I'm overlooking here or is this about the O.S? PC specs are far above min requirements, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'd like to keep playing, so any help would be much appreciated.

I take it you have done a Game verification check ? Also try running both Steam and the game as administrator .

Hi Tommy,

Running Steam as Admin indeed just fixed it. Not sure how to run the game as Admin though, not even sure where Steam puts my games. Wouldn't mind knowing for future reference. But yes, Steam as admin fixed the immediate issue. Thank you! =)

Hi Tommy,

Running Steam as Admin indeed just fixed it. Not sure how to run the game as Admin though, not even sure where Steam puts my games. Wouldn't mind knowing for future reference. But yes, Steam as admin fixed the immediate issue. Thank you! =)
An easy way for running any game as admin is to navigate to the game in question and find the game exe (not the launcher exe) then right click and select properties and click the Compatibility tab and put a check in the Run this program as admin box then click apply and ok .
If steam is at the default location it would be
C:\Program Files (X86)\Steam\steamapps\common\(name of yourgame)

Guest 3848219

Hi i have the witcher downloaded and cannot get the game to run, keeps saying not meeting min requirements, ran compatibility program ( i have win 8.1, 64bit ) for win 8 still same message , tried ' dontforceminreq ' still same, any advice would be welcome, dying to play this game, thanks everyone.

Usual cause for missing the minimum requirements is you have an Intel graphics card, or you have Optimus with an nVidia card that does not get detected.

For Optimus, make sure the game is assigned to the "high performance nVidia graphics card", or words like that,

For modern Intel graphics, make sure you are launching the game as
"\path/witcher.exe -dontForceMinReqs" with quote marks just as shown.

Guest 3848219

run game.

Usual cause for missing the minimum requirements is you have an Intel graphics card, or you have Optimus with an nVidia card that does not get detected.

For Optimus, make sure the game is assigned to the "high performance nVidia graphics card", or words like that,

For modern Intel graphics, make sure you are launching the game as
"\path/witcher.exe -dontForceMinReqs" with quote marks just as shown.

Hi GuyNwah, i tried that, made a copy of file 1 the_witcher_exe copied to desktop, properties,target field, placed it at the end of that, message said, filepath is not right !!, thank you.

---------- Updated at 10:26 AM ----------

Hi GuyNwah, did try that, doesnt make a difference, i uninstalled and re-installed, now its asking for service pack 2 ? on win 8.1 !!, thank you.

Usually just leave the game where it is installed (don't copy the executable, it knows where it is installed and will look for files in related directories). Just create a desktop shortcut to the executable where it is, and add the -dontForceMinReqs argument to the shortcut. The double quote marks are to make sure Windows doesn't break up a pathname that has spaces.

If it's not installing for you, you may have an old copy; get a new one from www.gog.com, and it will be completely up to date (and it's free, just furnish the key from your old copy).

Last edited:

Guest 3848219

Hi matey, will follow all those steps but have applied for a key as i dont have one , really hope this works, dont want to keep bothering you , thank you.
Hi again, tried that no difference, the link is the page where i downloaded it from originally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually just leave the game where it is installed (don't copy the executable, it knows where it is installed and will look for files in related directories). Just create a desktop shortcut to the executable where it is, and add the -dontForceMinReqs argument to the shortcut. The double quote marks are to make sure Windows doesn't break up a pathname that has spaces.

If it's not installing for you, you may have an old copy; get a new one from www.gog.com, and it will be completely up to date (and it's free, just furnish the key from your old copy).

Bump: Perhaps because I bought the enhanced edition several years ago (huge backlog :) ) and just II from GOG, I see no forum available for I (or III for that matter); I am asking for clarification since things may have changed in the last year. For "The Witcher I Enhanced Edition", I can get the latest patched edition as a download (not so good as I have satellite I-net) by supplying my key? If not, I am wondering if it works with Win7/64 and Nvidia GT545? I get an installation error message (I think something about directx) but it proceeds. At launch, it says I must launch as administrator (which I did). Familiar problem?

EDIT: Great first post! Looks like it was only a few weeks ago, not 2014. I'll just try for the free download from GOG in a few weeks when my download allowance isn't near exceeded. You may slap me silly.

Last edited:
Hello,
I just bought The Witcher: Enhanced Edition on Steam. After the download finished, I tried to launch the game, but I get the following error message:
"Serious lack of data
Client Server cannot be started. There is no witcher.ini in the startup directory or data paths set in witcher.ini are not valid."

I am runnning OS X 10.10.5

For what it is worth :) (Welcome Back...I hope!....?)

I purchased the full DVD set of The Witcher EE a long time ago when it was new. It ran fine under Windows XP including its service packs. Since I have played through at least 4 times, because I like this game so much, I tried a re-load under Window 7 Home Edition. I could never get the game to install or run properly and finally gave up and uninstalled it.

I recently upgraded to Windows 10. I tried an install, from my original DVD, using the compatibility wizard and taking it's settings (Vista Serv. Pack 2). I then skipped the V1.4 patch (I already have the EE) and applied the 1.5 patch using the same compatibility settings. I deleted the shortcut that setup made and went into my Witcher EE directory and created a new shortcut, using compatibility mode the same way again. I also went to the .exe, for the game, and used the same compatibility wizard settings.

I just tried my second attempt to run this game. I ran the shortcut I created as administrator. I just played for about 35 minutes with no issues. This is the longest, smoothest, playing session I've had for The Witcher in years. I'll post more later on whether I continue to enjoy success with this method or not. I do not have to load the DVD to play. I also previously owned several Mods and depending on my success running this game may try to install one or more later...we'll see. I hope this has helped anyone in any way at all. *pax*

---------- Updated at 05:41 AM ----------

Follow up to my original post.

I downloaded and installed the director's cut patch using the same settings as in my original post. I then ran the shortcut I created as Admin., and played for about an hour and a half with no issues.

I probably won't post here again unless I have issues to report. *pax*

My entire system crashed after I tried to run a mod on this setup! Everything was fine prior to that. I MIGHT try to reinstall, using the same methodology, and try again, without modding the install. IF I do I will report more later...just in case someone...anyone...happens across this information and finds it useful.

Hi,

The witcher 1 starts and plays fine for 20-30 miniutes before crashing to desktop with a graphics driver failure. I have to restart my computer to return to normal function.

The only error I get is that the graphics driver has crashed.

My specs are:

Windows 10,
Geforce GTX 675m (Fully updated)
i7-2670QM
8 gigs ram

I have tried a reinstall and all the obvious stuff.

Thanks for your help!

Top Bottom