Enhanced Edition installation problems and solutions

+
That's good quality information, well done. I don't quite agree with the IE uninstallation part to use another browser, but that's your own preference ;)That said, some problems other people might run into is downloading the patch from a location other than the official one. In that case, your downloaded file is often NOT an exe file but a rar or zip file. You need to extract that first before you can run your uploader ;)

c-r-u-x said:
c-r-u-x said:
c-r-u-x said:
It looks like its installing for me here, but i left the install for over 8 hours and its still modifying files.this has got to be the slowest install ive ever had, and its on a quad core, 8 gb ram, and a velociraptor hd, so none of the hardware is slow.-mk
Hey mk,I appear to be having a similar issue - and on a similarly heavy-duty rig, as well! I'm going on seven hours of 'modifying game files' now, and it's not showing any signs of finishing any time soon, either... beginning to wonder if it's actually doing anything at all! If yours ever finishes up (and works) please do post on here again and let me know! It might give me some small hope for the future... :p
Same here. I tried to install it for 6 hours yesterday afternoon till evening, then I aborted the patch and reinstalled The Witcher to start all over again.Now it's "modifying game files" for over 17 hours and no sign of life... what the hell??? :wall:c-r-u-x
i let mine run over 12 hours before aborting it, i even tried the extract trick and it still ran over 7 hours.... there are some good comercial patch programs out there too bad they thought they could do better as clearly they CAN'T !!!i have given up and removed witcher from my HD.

@ST_GHOSTDownloading the patches in rar/zip can be risky, but the natural advantage is less data to download ^^ The risk is that the person that uploaded the rar/zip form may have set a trap in the exe file. The rar/zip will naturally have a different MD5 than the exe, but we can't see what MD5 has the exe archived inside rar/zip. I'd go for the official servers even if they have a ping over 200.The measures of getting rid of IE may help some people, that means not everyone. It's for those people that find working with IE very limiting, annoying and dangerous. I remember when I switched to Firefox and my voyage across the waters of the Internet became enjoyable, that was great and I'd like to share it with other people.

I have to say, too, that I use Internet Explorer 7 -- along with IE7 Pro -- and have had no issues downloading large...HUGE...files. I was able to get TWEE_upgrade on the very first try. No need to re-download anything. In fact, I was downloading as many as 4 large files simultaneously without there being one error.

dem0nter said:
Downloading the patches in rar/zip can be risky, but the natural advantage is less data to download ^^ The risk is that the person that uploaded the rar/zip form may have set a trap in the exe file. The rar/zip will naturally have a different MD5 than the exe, but we can't see what MD5 has the exe archived inside rar/zip. I'd go for the official servers even if they have a ping over 200.
Indeed, but I just added the note for people who downloaded it off unofficial mirrors, like gamershell or fileplanet, where the files come zipped/rared rather than as plain exe.

Gspoon said:
i was under the impression that you cant really uninstall IEas in you might not see it but it is still their since its hard coded
You can manually uninstall IE, but honestly I don't recommend it. There are still such underdeveloped services like Creative AutoUpdate that won't work with anything else than IE.

Right. Well, I finally aborted after 8 hours of waiting. I've now uninstalled EVERYTHING Witcher-related, uninstalled all .Net Framework versions, cleaned out my registry with RegScrubXP and CCleaner, reinstalled .Net Framework from the ground up (1.1, 2.0, 2.0 SP1, 3.0, 3.0 SP1, plus all updates and hotfixes), and installed Windows XP SP 3, just for good measure.I'm now going to reinstall the Witcher fresh (AGAIN), and then attempt the installation of the Enhanced Edition one more time. If people have any suggestions (e.g., running the EE installation in Safe Mode; unpacking the installation files ahead of time; etc.) which they think might help, please do let me know!Here's hoping...-RoA

Update on my situation. Only the larger areas cause me trouble. The Swamp and Outskirts lag to the hells, but the Temple Quarter + Dike work perfectly. This is a new issue. Anyone have any idea what is causing it?

i ended up aborting.the files that i have are clean and complete, i even tried the uniextractor, but installation was never an issue for me. its the modification process that doesnt seem to be going anywhere.i have no antivirus apps because theres no need for them ( atleast for me ). ive been running forever without getting viruses. i only use trusted websites, and i am smart about email ( Actually i didnt even install any email accounts on this machine yet )i am now in the process of installing net all over again.i am actually curious if it could be securom that could be affecting this. i know that ever since i installed spore... acdsee, and other applications have been behaving a bit weird ( as in i cant launch them if i have this one particular software on. its odd. however, i am now on a fresh install of windows so that shouldnt be an issue because i didnt install spore here yet, but securom could have installed itself without telling me because it was in one of my dvdroms when i reinstalled windows.i will keep you all updated.what sucks is that i install 1.0 on my machine and it does it in under a few minutes. i launch it and it plays fine.installing the update works and happens within a few seconds, registering, confirmation about the registered game turns positive, and then it goes for the files to modify, and thats where i wait, and wait, and wait.anyway, ill get back with the net experiment.

The idea with Universal Unpacker (I used Universal Extractor - a free program based on Open Source, here is the link: http://uniextract.c1pher.com/uniextract15.exe) worked out :) Got patched in 10 minutes under Windows XP Professional SP2 :peace: And also there was no need in disabling/uninstalling firewall (Comodo), turning off antivirus (NOD 32 3.0).

Well i have still problem with this: I forgot to mention earlier that i have done obvious stuff like reinstalling game. So this time i write what i did:- I have uninstalled Witcher- Deleted Witcher folder- Disabled virtual drives- installed game from Witcher DVDThen i ran TWEE_Upgrade.exe and error occured.As you see files are ok:

volvox said:
I forgot to mention earlier that i have done obvious stuff like reinstalling game. So this time i write what i did:- I have uninstalled Witcher- Deleted Witcher folder- Disabled virtual drives- installed game from Witcher DVDThen i ran TWEE_Upgrade.exe and error occured.
do try the .NET thingie mentioned in the first post of this thread, i can't really advise any other solutionsI'll share my experience with the patching process:I'm running Windows XP, no firewall ( not even the one included in Windows ), no active anti-virus ( I'm careful to only download from trusted sources, and i double check with ClamAV just in case )...I'm running year long installations BTW, with no virii or trojans for the last 5 yearsI've got the Windows installation up to date, got .NET 1.1/2.0 and 3.0 ( 3.5 was in BETA status AFAIK, and it was useful only in VIsta anyway )i had a game installation patched to patch 1.3, started the patch, registered, while patching i was looking around to do something while waiting when the system freezed ( i was 3:30 AM i was sleepy already )so i restarted the system, wiped the installation, reinstalled the game to version 1.0, re-registered ( it was giving me the cookie error the first time i ran REGISTER.EXE, but it worked the second time ), run the patch, re-registered about 1 more time 'cause it wanted to, and then it worked, it started to patch, i went to bed, after 5 hours i woke up to the installed game, judging from the date the folders where modified it finished at 5:52 AMtried to run the game, the game crashed, messed around with sound acceleration, the game worked, replaced some Miles sound system files, the game worked with EAX and full sound accelerationthis install also works now, w/o DVD in drive in Linux + WINE, and the fun part is that it runs with the original Miles sound system files, and not with the Windows fix...strange

I've downloaded the files but I'm unable to update. After I launch the Upgrade program, the installer displays the following message box:>SetupNew\setup.cpp (138)PAPP:pVENDOR:pGUID:$@Windows XP Service Pack 3 (2600) I.E. 7.0.6000.16705And I get an OK button which simply removes the dialog box. Any suggestions?

miclark said:
I've downloaded the files but I'm unable to update. After I launch the Upgrade program, the installer displays the following message box:>SetupNew\setup.cpp (138)PAPP:pVENDOR:pGUID:$@Windows XP Service Pack 3 (2600) I.E. 7.0.6000.16705And I get an OK button which simply removes the dialog box. Any suggestions?
see first post: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=16868.0

I have some trubble aplying the EE patch, as well. I start the TWEE_UPGRADE.exe and agree to all the licenes. Then the porgramm told me to register my game. So I did. Then I reran the whole thing and then it aksed me to log in. No problem so far. But a few seconds later after checking the login data it tells me that there is no registered product on my system. What the hell am I doing wrong?

ambient-whisper said:
i ended up aborting.the files that i have are clean and complete, i even tried the uniextractor, but installation was never an issue for me. its the modification process that doesnt seem to be going anywhere.i have no antivirus apps because theres no need for them ( atleast for me ). ive been running forever without getting viruses. i only use trusted websites, and i am smart about email ( Actually i didnt even install any email accounts on this machine yet )i am now in the process of installing net all over again.i am actually curious if it could be securom that could be affecting this. i know that ever since i installed spore... acdsee, and other applications have been behaving a bit weird ( as in i cant launch them if i have this one particular software on. its odd. however, i am now on a fresh install of windows so that shouldnt be an issue because i didnt install spore here yet, but securom could have installed itself without telling me because it was in one of my dvdroms when i reinstalled windows.i will keep you all updated.what sucks is that i install 1.0 on my machine and it does it in under a few minutes. i launch it and it plays fine.installing the update works and happens within a few seconds, rjavascript:void(0);Cryegistering, confirmation about the registered game turns positive, and then it goes for the files to modify, and thats where i wait, and wait, and wait.anyway, ill get back with the net experiment.
Atleast you're trying, :beer:If I see the box on the shelves tomorow, I'll definitely buy it.

LicaonKter said:
see first post: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=16868.0
That's no help, if you don't tell this guy that his error message means the official site downloads garbage 75 - 80 % of attempts. (Maybe worse. I made three tries for the main file, all from the Polish site were truncated. At that point, anywhere but the official crap site seemed better.)

i have applied the patch and now when i want to play he give me an " Send or Don't Send " error......please help me :wall:

Top Bottom