Enhancing Mutilation Decks

+
Enhancing Mutilation Decks

One of the most funniest decks is the self-mutilation decks you can build with Skellige cards. Here some suggestions to improve the theme.

1. Savage Bear

Allow it to damage also spawned units. That would provide a small counter against spawned units as well as it can give the deck a better self-mutilation synergy when used with Crach an Craite. Tuirseach Axeman, Savage Bear + Crach an Craite combo would be more viable.

2. Gold Cards with Mutilation

Currently there are no card which benefit from self mutilation directly. There is Madman Lugos but that is about filling your graveyard rather then mutilation which leans more towards discard.

3. Gremist

Gremist deals 2 damage to three creatures and gains 3 strength for each. A very situational card with base strength of 5. If we put it under the looking glass your maximum gain will be a total of 3 strength at worst case and at best case where you cull 1 strength units your total gain is 6. On top of that, the card is not weather protected and when it gains 9 strength it puts on a large Scorch-me sign on him. Of course when used with Axemen he can be reimbursed the strength. Regardless we are here to enhance synergies and viability of the deck. Now some suggestions about the card. (Applying one of the below would enhance the card)

- Provide the card weather immunity hence it can be played on weather. This could be lorewise appropriate considering he is a druid.
- Reduce necessary damage from 2 to 1.
- Weather-clear effect instead weather immunity.

4. Warcry

A suggestion though I am not too keen on it. Instead doubling the current strength of damaged units, it could return the damaged cards back to their base strength and then double their strength. But then its bronze-ness would be open to discussion. Regardless the function of the card can be changed in a way to encourage further mutilation. A thematic the further you go down further you will jump back.

So far these are things which come into my mind based on my current experience with mutilation decks. I would like to hear what my fellow players think about enhancing mutilation decks.

Last edited:
I'd like to dedicate finishing the season rank 1 on the ladder to my mother, my lack of a real job, and...
:hurt:
SELF-MUTILATION.

A viable wounding deck would honestly be super sweet though, good work. :)

I like some of your suggestions, but i don't think that would change anything about its competitiveness, i tried to make a competitive self-hurting deck, i mean... i spent MANY hours thinking, testing, etc. and i have to say, while Warcry is lackluster and Savage Bear could use 4 strength, the real reason they don't work is you NEED to use Clan Tuiseach Skirmishers Axeman, but it's simply not possible, they're vulnerable to weather, they're on the middle row, so they're vulnerable to Aard too, they got 2-4 strength, so they're vulnerable to Mardroeme all game long and their scorch-me sign is even larger than that of Gremist. If they were usable you could get a lot more from Savage Bear and could make good use of Stammelford Tremors, which, on paper looks like it was born to fill that deck, but it doesn't work even there. Oh, almost forgot about Raging Berserkers, another creature that could fit this theme, especially considering it's one of the few cards that synergyze with most other cards in the deck, but they need to take damage to reach a decent strength and even then they're weaker than Longships and vulnerable to Aard, makes zero sense.
This kind of decks are so damn fun, so let's hope the addition of new cards can bring them to a competitive level, but if new cards don't, i'm afraid it would require more than 2 or 3 tweaks to the actual cards.

Last edited:
TheWalkingHawking;n7545160 said:
I like some of your suggestions, but i don't think that would change anything about its competitiveness, i tried to make a competitive self-hurting deck, i mean... i spent MANY hours thinking, testing, etc. and i have to say, while Warcry is lackluster and Savage Bear could use 4 strength, the real reason they don't work is you NEED to use Clan Tuiseach Skirmishers, but it's simply not possible, they're vulnerable to weather, they're on the middle row, so they're vulnerable to Aard too, they got 2-4 strength, so they're vulnerable to Mardroeme all game long and their scorch-me sign is even larger than that of Gremist. If they were usable you could get a lot more from Savage Bear and could make good use of Stammelford Tremors, which, on paper looks like it was born to fill that deck, but it doesn't work even there. Oh, almost forgot about Raging Berserkers, another creature that could fit this theme, especially considering it's one of the few cards that synergyze with most other cards in the deck, but they need to take damage to reach a decent strength and even then they're weaker than Longships and vulnerable to Aard, makes zero sense.
This kind of decks are so damn fun, so let's hope the addition of new cards can bring them to a competitive level, but if new cards don't, i'm afraid it would require more than 2 or 3 tweaks to the actual cards.

One thing I experienced about Tuirseach Axemen is that, if you can stack 2 or 3 of them on the row, they can survive the Aard + Weather combo. The weather reduces their number to 1 but Tuirseachs will buff each other, then Aard removes damage, then Tuirseachs will buff each other again. It is not a big consolation but sometimes it can surprise your opponent. On top of that, if there are any other cards on the middle row, they will die and buff Tuirseach battery.

Of course, we shall need more cards and tweaks to make things competitive. Just wanted to share Tuirseach's Aard immunity when stacked. Regardless I agree when you execute convoluted combos to buff them, they drop a fog to undo what you did...can be a "meh" situation.

Last edited:
I use a Crach An Craite - Tuirseach + Savage Bear deck, i love it, got me to rank 8 now, it's really fun to play, I also have Warcry in it which works fine really, also i have Olgierd and other cards, which all fit quite nicely.
If the internet doesn't have the deck, create your own lol ;)
I personally hate/don't like players using decks from the "Internet"(gwentdb/decks), but it's inevitable and how the world works i guess, heh.

Anyways, i wouldn't mind buffing my deck/those cards, but then again, it could become the next "meta" and everyone would be using it, and there wouldn't be any fun in that would it?
So yea, i changed my mind, i wouldn't like buffing the deck, too much. :p

Edit: But also i agree that there aren't many self-damaging cards or decks besides this one, so i would like to see an add-on to it.

Torrun;n7545290 said:
I use a Crach An Craite - Tuirseach + Savage Bear deck, i love it, got me to rank 8 now, it's really fun to play, I also have Warcry in it which works fine really, also i have Olgierd and other cards, which all fit quite nicely.
If the internet doesn't have the deck, create your own lol ;)
I personally hate/don't like players using decks from the "Internet"(gwentdb/decks), but it's inevitable and how the world works i guess, heh.

Anyways, i wouldn't mind buffing my deck/those cards, but then again, it could become the next "meta" and everyone would be using it, and there wouldn't be any fun in that would it?
So yea, i changed my mind, i wouldn't like buffing the deck, too much. :p

Edit: But also i agree that there aren't many self-damaging cards or decks besides this one, so i would like to see an add-on to it.

I always create my own decks and i reached rank 7 with mine when i was using my wounding deck, but it took so much effort that it probably deserved a lower rank. Back then rank 7 was somehow close to be competitive, still not enough to my eyes, i don't know if you reached rank 8 before or after rating changes, but now i wouldn't consider anything below rank 9 competitive, my standards could be too high tho.
On another note, this is one of the few decks Crach can come close to Harald, but even here Harald eats him alive in my opinion.
It's nice to see there really are some self-wounding lovers out there =)

Wounding decks were viable before 0.8.33 and the Savage Bear nerf. Now it's almost better to use Warcry in decks without Savage Bear or Tuirseach Axeman (whom I think you meant when mentioning T. Skirmisher before). I don't play ranked, so I can;t talk about how it performs there, but I have fun with it in casual. Gremist, Longships, Holger, Brokvar Archers and hunters, etc.Yennifer the Conjurer works well too, if you have her.

Treamayne;n7547480 said:
Wounding decks were viable before 0.8.33 and the Savage Bear nerf. Now it's almost better to use Warcry in decks without Savage Bear or Tuirseach Axeman (whom I think you meant when mentioning T. Skirmisher before). I don't play ranked, so I can;t talk about how it performs there, but I have fun with it in casual. Gremist, Longships, Holger, Brokvar Archers and hunters, etc.Yennifer the Conjurer works well too, if you have her.

Indeed, Tuirseach Axemen were the subject. Edited my older messages. Thanks for the warning!

I got carried away with excitement about bleeding Skellige legions over there. :hurt:

Last edited:
Ugralitan;n7547810 said:
Indeed, Tuirseach Axemen were the subject. Edited my older messages. Thanks for the warning!

I got carried away with excitement about bleeding Skellige legions over there. :hurt:

Weird that i made the same mistake, i guess we hit ourselves too hard :p

I came back with a new self-wounding deck and just reached rank 11, the deck feels pretty solid in any matchup(being Monsters consume decks the hardest one) so far, so i think i can keep climbing with it, but cards like Warcry,Stammelford's Tremmors and some silver creatures that would synergyze pretty well definitely don't have room in it, given current decks' size restrictions and the high amount of silver must-have cards Skellige has in the current meta(Sigrfrida, Restore and CA generators/deck thinners i'm looking at you).
The deck is so fun, so hard to play, has answers for pretty much everything, can pull out as much CA as any ST deck and it consistently draws 23-25 cards(if you don't draw any deck thinners in the first round it needs some careful planning and usage of Rally and some other deck thinners tho).
So it seems it wasn't so unrealiable in the end, but i don't like the fact that i can't add a good amount of high synergy cards just because the decks are so small and CA is the undisputed king when creating decks.

Top Bottom