Enter the Arena — GWENT’s new game mode!

+
How is everyone feeling about arena RNG? Been playing a ton of rounds. It seems like there is a really broad space to how it comes together and plays out. Some rounds I pull tons of gold and some just a couple. Anyone have thoughts on strategy so far?

AngeredBees;n10593402 said:
How is everyone feeling about arena RNG? Been playing a ton of rounds. It seems like there is a really broad space to how it comes together and plays out. Some rounds I pull tons of gold and some just a couple. Anyone have thoughts on strategy so far?

I logged in just to tell you that I love your name and am jealous of it now :]

Leaders should be drafted first so that you know the general idea of the deck you are going to make. That's how I see it but I might be wrong.

If you pick Eithne you will give priority to special cards. If you played the SK leader that sends 3 cards to the graveyard you will give priority to resurrection cards.

Same with queen arachas, it's usable only in consume decks.

Emyr is also useless unless you have runestones/silvers of quality.

Moorvan can only be used with the reveal mechanic.

Henselt is 100% useless too if you can't pull Kaedweni stuff.

Half of the leaders are currently really bad if you can't play around them.

I've also noticed a lot of stuff that is kind of unplayable/should be changed in arena.

Consume cards for example are really bad because usually you only get their base value instead of the usual combo value when they synergize well.

Most cards that "invoke" all their copies from the deck are also kinda bad, I mean, at most you will get 2 equal cards and even that is really hard.

Ciri: Nova is completely useless too.

I know the card pool is really low right now and giving more than 4 cards to choose from might end up giving too optimal decks.

My recommendation is that you should be given the option to have 35 picks, then make a deck with 25 cards (or more).

There's a lot of annoying situations were you pick for example Ithlinne as a gold on the 3 first picks because you love the card, then don't get a single Spell or Weather bronze card for the rest of the game. You expect to try out sweet stuff like playing a double full moon on a deck full of beasts, or double bad moon on opponents row, but most of the time you can't play the card because too many golds/silvers.

You could also limit the amount of Golds/Silvers in the deck. From the 35 picks make 6 guaranteed gold picks, 10 guaranteed silver picks and make the rest bronze picks. You should have plenty of stuff to play from without breaking the game. I've played Royal Decree into Dandelion:poet into Royal Decree into Vilgefortz into Aglaïs into opponents runestone into Burza into my own Runestone from the deck etc, making some really sick plays.

I also think the amount of golds should be limited. I have a lot of scraps to play arena (around 5.000) and I rate higher to have fun than sticking with a deck with 2-3 dead cards. Yesterday I conceded 3 straight decks after I saw they werent optimal, then the fourth 4 had 10 golds, 10 silvers and 5 bronzes, full of value and fun plays (Francesca into Imlerith:Sabbath, etc...).

You don't lose that much value from conceding the first game, it's usually a barrel + 30 meterorite powder from 150 scraps in exchange for not wasting 2 hours with a subpar deck.

Last edited:
Not been enjoying Arena mode personally, wins and losses felt pretty empty and so RnG riddled. The game already included an unhealthy level of RnG as it was and this mode has just exacerbated that imo.

Happy for anyone who is enjoying it but it's not where I'll be spending a lot of time.

Today my opponents DC'ed 5 times in arena, and I got 2 DC with perfect internet connection. :huh:

What is up with the rewards in Arena, I had 9-0 run and got standard Hjalmar which I already had 2 of.

I remember hearing something about getting a Gold you don't have.

They should clarify that and the Premium golds not being reward anymore.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Yes, either CDPR should disclose the rewards for each number of wins, or else we, the community, need to analyze our rewards to figure out if and how random the rewards for each number of wins (0-9) is.

I think it is not set in stone that you will get a Premium Gold for 9 wins... it was something that happened on a stream the first time and everybody concluded that this must be what's going on, while everything is still actually RNG™.

partci;n10609412 said:
I think it is not set in stone that you will get a Premium Gold for 9 wins... it was something that happened on a stream the first time and everybody concluded that this must be what's going on, while everything is still actually RNG™.
wasn't just one stream, afaict that's just how it worked on PTR.

I for one would definitely welcome some explanation of rewards, since they seem ridiculously random... I got more value out of losing 3 in a row on one run than I did out out of 2 wins on another. The lack has me completely disinterested in this mode because for all I can see it operates like a trash pile lottery, and I recommend new users avoid it like the plague.

Dominika

On the bottom right of the menu/scroll screen it seems i am unlocking shards but i never receive them. I have to keep paying with ore. This is very annoying.
Is it a bug? If yes could you please give me the 50 or so shards that i have earned?

Last edited by a moderator:
After extensive Arena playing I would like to offer just two suggestions that you can implement right now with no work necessary.

1) Make all cards in Arena Premium.

Because all players like moving cards and bunch of players are used to Premium decks especially after transmutation promotion. Besides it's a perfect hook for newer players to see how Premium decks look and feel so maybe they will shell out for met. powder. So it is actually great marketing tactic (might wanna reward the inventor, met. powder accepted :D)

2) Make rounds count for daily rewards.

Honestly I am baffled why do you disadvantage Arena players over all other players including Casual mod players, it makes no sense. Besides while Arena rewards are generous at the start, you get investment back easily, and at the end, that Gold card really stacks a lot of value, in between rewards are nowhere near as good to justify playing Arena over getting dailies even if you are pretty good Arena player. I like Arena quests and would like as well to generic play/win x matches quests to include Arena matches as well

Top Bottom