Epic Games version: Cloud saves not working in 1.6

+
Hello guys,

This is my first post. And sadly, it is a post about bugs :) This is about Cyberpunk (Epic Games version) no longer uploading the saves to the cloud (to be synced with other PCs) since patch 1.6.
I guess it is a conflict with the new cross-progression feature.

I know that the cross-progression is targeted more to PC - Console hybrid players, and only uploads the ONE LAST save.
But, for us (PC to PC players), why does this policy (only the last one save being transferred) also affect us? Before patch 1.6, when I played in Geforce Now, ALL the manual saves I made during the session will be transferred to my home PC, and vice versa. But since patch 1.6, only the last save is transferred.

How to switch back to the traditional cloud save system as before, which was handled seamlessly well by the store (Epic, Steam, and GOG).

Thank you.

Hello guys,

This is my first post. And sadly, it is a post about bugs :) This is about Cyberpunk (Epic Games version) no longer uploading the saves to the cloud (to be synced with other PCs) since patch 1.6.
I guess it is a conflict with the new cross-progression feature.

I know that the cross-progression is targeted more to PC - Console hybrid players, and only uploads the ONE LAST save.
But, for us (PC to PC players), why does this policy (only the last one save being transferred) also affect us? Before patch 1.6, when I played in Geforce Now, ALL the manual saves I made during the session will be transferred to my home PC, and vice versa. But since patch 1.6, only the last save is transferred.

How to switch back to the traditional cloud save system as before, which was handled seamlessly well by the store (Epic, Steam, and GOG).

Thank you.
Just a question, the option "cross-progression/save" is disabled in your game settings ? (it's enabled by default I think)
(if not, maybe disabling it could solve the issue, but it's just a guess...)

Just a question, the option "cross-progression/save" is disabled in your game settings ? (it's enabled by default I think)
(if not, maybe disabling it could solve the issue, but it's just a guess...)
I had also been thinking that simply turning off the cross-save (it's on the setting->gameplay) would solve the case.
But then I found something weirder.

1. I started the game in the GFN with the cross-save turned on because I need to load my last save in that CDPR's cloud (which has the cloud icon).
2. After the game has been loaded, I turned off the cross-save. By doing that, I was hoping that the CDPR cloud wouldn't interfere again.
3. Playing for several minutes, then manually saving the game. It was saved as usual with no cloud icon that time, so I assumed that the 'traditional' Epic Games cloud save has taken over again.
4. Exit from GFN.
5. After several minutes, start the game on my home PC and... that last save is NOT transferred there!

Now, this is what I am thinking:
During cross-save turned on, any saves created during that period seemed to have a special mark from CDPR. That mark said to Epic, "Hey Epic, this is mine. Don't touch it, don't upload it. I will handle it by myself."
So even if I already turned off the cross-save, and then re-saving, Epic still didn't dare to touch that resaved game because the save originally came from CDPR's cloud (cross-save).

This is confusing.

I had also been thinking that simply turning off the cross-save (it's on the setting->gameplay) would solve the case.
But then I found something weirder.

1. I started the game in the GFN with the cross-save turned on because I need to load my last save in that CDPR's cloud (which has the cloud icon).
2. After the game has been loaded, I turned off the cross-save. By doing that, I was hoping that the CDPR cloud wouldn't interfere again.
3. Playing for several minutes, then manually saving the game. It was saved as usual with no cloud icon that time, so I assumed that the 'traditional' Epic Games cloud save has taken over again.
4. Exit from GFN.
5. After several minutes, start the game on my home PC and... that last save is NOT transferred there!

Now, this is what I am thinking:
During cross-save turned on, any saves created during that period seemed to have a special mark from CDPR. That mark said to Epic, "Hey Epic, this is mine. Don't touch it, don't upload it. I will handle it by myself."
So even if I already turned off the cross-save, and then re-saving, Epic still didn't dare to touch that resaved game because the save originally came from CDPR's cloud (cross-save).

This is confusing.
Weird :(
I suggest to send a ticket to the support because yep, there is probably an issue > "Contact Us" button.
(there isn't special category about "saves/cross-progression", so...)
Is it possible to keep your progression and delete your saves ?
Something like : while playing with "cross-progression" disabled, go to the menu, delete your saves (in particular the one with the cloud icon) and create a brand new one.

'Lo!

Posts moved to a new thread.

Yeah, this sounds like it's probably a crossed wire between Epic and the game. Do have the Epic launcher downloaded specifically, or are you running the game through the Galaxy beta?

'Lo!

Posts moved to a new thread.

Yeah, this sounds like it's probably a crossed wire between Epic and the game. Do have the Epic launcher downloaded specifically, or are you running the game through the Galaxy beta?
Thank you for moving the post. I've been using Epic Games Launcher. Here is my complete post from the '1.6 Ongoing Bugs' thread:

Cross-progression of patch 1.6 prevents Epic Games' cloud save from syncing between different PCs.

Note: This only concerns PC users. I experienced this on Epic Games. Need your feedback if that also happens on other PC platforms (Steam and GOG).

I've already been informed that cross-progression only syncs ONE last save. But what happens with some previous saves we made before that last one?
For Epic Games users, once you activated the cross-progression, the manual saves you made WOULD NOT BE UPLOADED to the Epic cloud save. For example, during the cross-save turned on, if you made 5 manual saves on the PC, the 5th (last) save will indeed be synced (handled by CDPR's cross-save) so you can open it on other platforms (and of course, another PC). But the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th saves will stay forever in the PC where you originally played them (could be in Geforce Now server, PC in your office lounge, your friend's PC, etc.), and there is no way to retrieve them REMOTELY to your local PC. Imagine playing on GFN and suddenly you got a group of manual saves held hostage in the GFN server! In fact, before the patch 1.6, all of those 5 saves will also be transferred to your local PC.

Who are affected?
This will bring damage to those who:
1. Bought Cyberpunk 2077 from Epic Games, AND
2. Had a habit of hopping between different PCs and has been continuously keeping their progress synchronized alternately between those PCs (mainly between Geforce Now and home PC), AND
3. Wanted to get access to all of their manual saves.

How I found this (or, how to reproduce this).
Before patch 1.6 came, I've been playing alternately between Geforce Now and my home PC. I've made 115 manual saves, which have always been syncing from GFN to my home PC (and vice versa) perfectly so far.
After patch 1.6 went live (on both GFN and my PC) with the cross-progression turned on by default, I played in GFN for around 5 hours and made 5 manual saves (save 116, 117, 118, 119, 120).
It surprised me the next day I tried to continue on my home PC, that only the save 120 is transferred from that session.
*I have to remind you again that before patch 1.6 went live, all of those 5 saves would have been transferred completely.
I logged again to GFN, all the saves are still there, and tried to make 2 more saves (save 121 and 122). Switched back to my home PC, and now only the save 122 is transferred. There is no save 116-121.
Note: Save 0-115 are still intact on both systems, as they were made before patch 1.6 and aren't touched by this new cross-progression.

How this should be (note to the developers).
The new cross-progression feature should not interfere with the existing traditional cloud save mechanism (which has been handled well so far by Epic, Steam, etc.). PC to PC users should still be able to sync ALL of their saves as usual.

Ugh.

This is...unfortunately...what "cross-platform" can mean. When you're playing on a given platform, you're bound by that platforms rules and regs. A different platform does not supersede the given platform's policies.

Welcome to the dark future. I could say that humanity should have this (mostly) worked out over the next 10 years...

...but I doubt it.

So, in the meantime, what do we do?

Only play certain games on the platform that you know can provide what you're looking for in your playstyle. (Point in case: For me, I don't normally use more than 5 saves. So it's irrelevant. But for you, you'll need to do the digging to see which platforms allow that sort of saving on the cloud...or which ones will sync with cloud saving NOT on a platform that will allow the same.

Weird :(
I suggest to send a ticket to the support because yep, there is probably an issue > "Contact Us" button.
(there isn't special category about "saves/cross-progression", so...)
Is it possible to keep your progression and delete your saves ?
Something like : while playing with "cross-progression" disabled, go to the menu, delete your saves (in particular the one with the cloud icon) and create a brand new one.
Thank you for pointing the direction to report the problem. I have submitted this problem to them and waiting for their reply.

Meanwhile, I guess I found a way out. But I still need to see some results to show if it works or not. I'll share it here later.
Post automatically merged:

OK, I think I've found a workaround for this. The idea is to make an instance of a 'clean' PC, and then synchronize it to other PCs using Epic launcher. To do that, I have to sacrifice the 5+ hours of progress I made since that 1.6 glitchy cross-progression was active.

Here's how:
1. Launch the game from the Epic Games launcher from the PC whose save games are 'less tainted' by this cross-progression (PC which has less 1.6 saved games or no 1.6 saved games at all).
2. Once you are in the Main Menu, DO NOT point your cursor to "CONTINUE". If you point to it, a thumbnail of the latest cross-saved game will appear. Sometimes a message "cloud sync in progress" appears when you point it. Here we want to stay away from CDPR pulling anything from its cloud, so don't point/hover to it.
3. From Main Menu, go directly to Setting -> Gameplay. Scroll down and TURN OFF the "Enable cross-platform Saves".
4. Back to Main Menu, then Load Game, and choose a saved game that is still in the 1.52 version (or 1.5, or any version you played before the 1.6 version).
5. Play the game for a while, then do a manual save. Take note of the manual save number.
6. Exit the game. Exit the Epic Games launcher. Wait for several minutes (just to make sure that the save has been uploaded to Epic's cloud).

Now we go to the PC where you noticed the bug for the first time (PC that is still holding your saved games as hostages since they can't go uploaded anywhere). Do:
1. Launch the game from Epic Game Launcher.
2. WARNING: There should be a message about data conflict between the local file and cloud storage. This is expected, since this shows that the Epic Cloud save is working properly. If this message doesn't appear, then something's wrong (I can't recommend anything if that happens).
3. Choose the option "Cloud Storage" (to be downloaded to the machine). WARNING: This WILL DELETE any 1.6 save games you have played on this PC. But this is the only way.
4. In the game Main Menu, just like before, don't point/hover to the "Continue". Just go directly to the Setting -> Gameplay, and turn off the "Enable cross-platform Saves".
5. Back to the Main Menu, choose Load Game, and you should see the latest manual save you made on the first PC previously (pay attention to the save number, make sure they're the same).
6. Play the game as usual, save as usual. From this point, the Epic Games cloud save has taken control back. ALL of your manual saves from this point onward will be synchronized to all of your PC, and vice versa, just like before the existence of patch 1.6 :)

Note: This somehow has made me paranoid, as I have to make sure that cross-save is turned off (in the Setting -> Gameplay) before I run the game every time. In every PC :)

Cross-progression is indeed a good concept. And ideally, no one should have a reason to turn that button off. It's very unfortunate :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom