[EPILOGUE] Alvin's identity

+
No there isn't. The last chance you have to talk to Shani or Triss about there both future is in Old Vizima. You have two options for decision. One is that Geralt decides there won't a future for them both the other one is... more or less: yes. But it's all uncertain, depends on how this story ends. So it's a bit vague if they see each other again but the intension of both is there.

I haven't read all of this thread, but isn't it obvious that Alvin is the Grand Master?The two no-brainer can't-argue-against-it clues are right at the end, when you find the stone on him that you gave to Alvin, and when the King of the Wild Hunt tells you that you knew the grand master under another name.Other more subtle hints are they Jaqus' dialogue in the epilogue is based on what you say to Alvin in Act IV.

StevenStoop007 said:
ok thanks for help, was just curious and yes i was refering to final fight, just thought in ehanced edition it would be different and whats the sequel by the way?
The final cutscene implies a sequel and CDPR have made it known that there is a future for The Witcher world in games. If they don't make a sequel the community are going to surround their building and cut off supplies of pizza and vodka until they do (allegedly ;))

Voylodion said:
Voylodion said:
ok thanks for help, was just curious and yes i was refering to final fight, just thought in ehanced edition it would be different and whats the sequel by the way?
The final cutscene implies a sequel and CDPR have made it known that there is a future for The Witcher world in games. If they don't make a sequel the community are going to surround their building and cut off supplies of pizza and vodka until they do (allegedly ;))
I'm absolutely sure about that.I'll be one of the first.The ending of the story is open and we all want another game to continue it.I think this will be done but truly hopes to be soon because I just can't wait (probably) 2 years :evil:

Voylodion said:
If they don't make a sequel the community are going to surround their building and cut off supplies of pizza and vodka until they do (allegedly ;))
This is a very strong arguement The end of the "The Witcher's Secrets" quest is food to nourish our speculations about a Witcher sequel…The main quest ends with "Something ends, something begins. This could mean:# It means the mad grandmaster is dead and life goes on.# It's just a refered phrase of a Witcher's novel title.# It's a hidden hint the first story (TW1) ends and the next story (TW2) continues.

Hey all, haven't read the whole thread, but if Alvin really did travel trough time in Act IV and he became Jaques de Aldesberg, he would live from that past to the day Geralt killed him, so that means that Alvin would be born again, as the little boy Alvin. So GmAlvin is killed, but than where is the little boy?

What you've said makes little sense. The little boy you speak of was born, went back in time and (supposedly) became the Grand Master. Thus he can not exist in any other form than the Grand Master himself. Once Alvin went back in time (assuming he never roamed time freely from then on), he has no other recourse but to become the Grand Master. It's cyclical and self-fulfilling and....Oh God, i've gone cross-eyed,,, lol

Chuckles said:
The little boy you speak of was born, went back in time and (supposedly) became the Grand Master. Thus he can not exist in any other form than the Grand Master himself.
I agree with that!The first time I saw the end, I was stunned! :eek:What a dark and powerful ending...

Jacques de Aldersberg is discussed through Acts 2 and 3 by the townspeople. He is listed as head of the Order from the beginning, in the journal. So, how could Alvin suddenly become him? He would have had to teleport himself WAY back in time to grow up into the grandmaster. Or, as someone said, Aldesberg might have seen the error of his ways and sent himslef back as Alvin to change things, somehow. Possible.I think Alvin=Aldersberg, actually. I just don't see how it's possible. But, the evidence seems to point to that it's true.

MISSTRISS said:
I think Alvin=Aldersberg, actually. I just don't see how it's possible. But, the evidence seems to point to that it's true.
There are a couple of different places in the game which tell you that a Source like Alvin has powers to move through space and time (see Triss / Elder Blood book in game / Boy in Murky Waters). And from what I've heard, the novels involve time travel too. That is how it is possible. And the evidence that Alvin is Jacques, is overwhelming. I really don't see any argument could discount all the varous hints put in this game to point to this fact.I suggest that if you have trouble comprehending how Alvin could become Jacques, I suggest you go and hire out a movie which deals with time travel - like Back to the Future? lol. If you still can't get your head around it, well I won't blame you. Some people have difficulty comprehending the complexities and inherant paradoxal risks of time travel, and I don't profess to understand it all fully myself ;).Simply put, Alvin, in great emotional stress (fear) teleported himself away from the battle in Act IV to another place. Certainly, with the sudden and uncontrolled use of his power in this situation, it is likely he accidently teleported himself immediately back in time, although the actual event may have occurred sometime later. Untrained and likely unable to perform another leap forward again to meet back with Geralt, Alvin eventually grew up and became the Grand Master (see The Flower and the Flame book in game).

After thinking a while, I decided that Alvin's fate, although tragic, isn't really surprising. He obviously grew up amidst racist human society after teleporting, and everything Geralt thought him faded away over the years, until all that was left was a crazed fanatic.After all, didn't he play "kill the elf" with other human kids? Kinda bolsters my descision to help the non-humans even more. Humans disgust me in this game (rare examples apart).

Sapkowski's characters (even the "evil" ones) are very fleshed out, so the fact that Alvin is a product of his environment is very much in keeping with the spirit of the novels. It's not as simple as "he's just a boy, he can't have any evil in him" ... and even if he had no evil thoughts (ignoring the playing of "kill the elf"), he obviously was determined and had seen evil perpetrated. It's not at all surprising that a temporally displaced (going with the time travel option) person like Alvin could grow up thinking he "knew better" and slowly be poisoned by that overriding assumption -- after all, he's from the future!so i find that having Alvin teleport himself back in time and becoming the Grand Master is perfectly reasonable within the game and Sapkowski's universe in The Witcher saga :peace:

I posted this in another thread, but will just copy/paste it here too:I finally finished the game last night, for what it's worth these are my opinions, and these opinions were my thoughts as I finished the game - without reading anything here!Alvin and the GM and one and the same, far too many coincidences for me to think otherwise, he was such an important part of the whole story and then just disappears with no further impact on the plot? No, I am certain he became the GM.The final assasin - I wasn't sure about this, I looked at him and thought 'am I supposed to know who it is?' - so I conclude he is just another witcher, I think Geralt was just surprised to see another witcher who he did not know, now whether he is just from another witcher school or is some sort of mutated witcher, I think that will be answered in the sequel (I hope there will be a sequel!!).Great game, really enjoyed it and am sure I will play it again with different choices soon Smileyedit: I just found this walkthough: http://www.gamebanshee.com/thewitcher/walkthrough/frozenreflections.phpin particular:"After dealing with the King of the Wild Hunt, you’ll finish off the Grand Master by skewering him with your silver sword, which will cause you to re-appear in the Order Cloister in the Temple Quarter. You’ll encounter Dandelion there, as well as the Grand Master’s body. When you loot the remains, you’ll find the Secrets Stolen from Kaer Morhen, as well as a Dimeritium Amulet.Note: Yes, that’s right. When Alvin teleported away at the end of Chapter IV, he actually went back in time, and he eventually became the Grand Master. If you play through the campaign again, you’ll see lots of hints for this, like when you meet up with the Grand Master in the Swamp Cemetery and he says that he knows about you from a “very trustworthy source” -- that is, himself.After looting the Grand Master’s corpse, when you walk over to Dandelion, you’ll automatically start up a conversation with him, and that will conclude the quest as well as the campaign.“Something ends, something begins.”Note: In the ending movie sequence, you’re not supposed to recognize who the assassin is. You’re just supposed to notice that he has witcher eyes. So presumably the Grand Master’s experiments with the witcher mutagens bore fruit -- by somebody, somewhere -- but we’ll have to wait for the sequel to see how it plays out."

In previous posts, I've listed many reasons why Alvin might not be the GM. But I just ran across something new -- In The WitcherEE Guide US, on page 85, you'll find the following statement:"6. As Chapter IV progresses, Alvin disappears. To find him, you’ll need to go back to Vizima andask Triss for advice."Since the Guide was written by the developers, and as this sentence seems to imply that you will find Avin by asking Triss's advice (she tells you he could be anywhere; he could have traveled through time), this seems pretty strong evidence that the GM is indeed Alvin.The implication of the quote might be the result of an imprecise translation; and I'd love to hear translations of the same quote from different language versions of The WitcherEE Guide. But at this point, the statement sure seems to strongly hint that the GM is Alvin...Just wanted to pass that on.Regards to all The Witcher lovers._

I played the game first when it came out but only got to the start of Act IV when a patch was released which recommended starting again (and I couldn't be arsed!) So when the EE came out I bought that and just completed it and loved every second! The final fight was awesome and the ending videos and cutscenes were so well done I actually shivered at one point and got goose bumps! I played it through along the order path which I'm guessing makes a difference to the ending. Also, The Grand Master and Alvin?! And that assassin at the end, that was a witcher right? I must admit though, I played on normal and found the 'boss' fights oddly easy (to be honest the hardest fight was killing the trophy Wyvern in the swamp in Act II!). I only used two signs, aard (to silver talents) and igni (to golds) and the beast took one aard and was knocked down for an instant kill; The Professor and Azar at the end of Act II weren't too hard, spam igni and hammer Azar down; The Kikimore Queen was easy with igni being upgraded, just blast the workers with that to clear a path; Dagon was also really easy, I just ran in circles taking down the acolytes with two ignis! The Striga was quite boring to be honest, I just ran around the coffin with the candles on and aarded her if she got too close; Azar Javed was, again, easy, Berengar drew almost all his attacks (died though) and I just used crinfrid oil and igni to kill him amazingly quickly. That Zeugl was also easy for the same reasons, Siegfried took almost all the damage, igni took down the tentacles in one and strong silver style with crinfrid oil finished off the head! The final fight I also expected to be hard, so I had crinfrid oil on both swords and had taken a swallow (dominant nigredo), tawny owl, willow, maribor forest, full moon and Petri's Philter...turns out this was slight overkill as I had 112 endurance, well over 2000 vitality and just used Igni to kill off everything Jacques spawned and fully upgraded Strong Steel style to kill him with ease (then killed the King of the Hunt), after both these fights I had lost about 200 vitality! With all those potions I could almost continually cast Igni, took a tiny amount of damage and was basically just a machine!Will have to try it on Hard now! First thing I did after finishing was tell my made (who loves RPGs) to get it!

It was too easy in the end and you were an igni machine? You're a candidate for this mod: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=24499.0.I agree that normal game difficulty (including vanilla hard) is pretty easy, but you gotta learn everything new with the FCR mod, it's completely different (easy FCR is harder than vanilla hard). I am beating the medium difficulty right now and though I was whining in the beginning that it was too hard, I now (end of Act IV) wished I could switch to hard mode. :)Oh, and there's already a monster thread discussing the aftermath of the game, but I guess they'll merge it eventually.

The FCR mod makes significant changes to gameplay, since the objective is to bring the combat closer to the books. If you want the gameplay to be more or less the same as the original game, only with higher difficulty, just use the old Flash mod.

Yes, the FCR mod is much sought-after for all those who look for more challenge ;)@haydoxYou killed the Kikimore Queen with igni? Congratulation :beer:

Top Bottom