[EPILOGUE] Ending cutscene / cinematic discussion

+
Nope, kept them both alive...although I'm not sure how you were supposed to kill the striga...I just backed off every now and then and that seemed to allow the time to ebb down without me actually killing her. I guess you just go in relentlessly with the strong style if you want to finish her off? Was wondering if I was going to have to fist-fight her like in the intro :)

you can fight the striga in many ways. I'm not sure I've heard of anyone managing to fight her using only Geralt's fists, but i'm sure there are a few willing to try :)You are certainly never forced to replicate the opening sequence. That just tells you the story of how she first became a striga and how Geralt cured her then. In the game, it is her 'relapse' that he is curing.

Thanks....actually I just realised my original theory falls down if I kill the Striga, because then obviously Radovid's son can't marry Adda. I see you were subtly guiding me to that :wall: Time to kill the striga in the replay, I'll report back with my new interpretation soon :)

Is there multiple endings to this game?I ask because, supposably every decision the player makes affects the whole game which would also affect the overall outcome of how you played and who you helped or killed.I just finished my game about 10 mins agoMine ended in a very cool fight scene with an assassin - Amazing effects and a great ending.For those who haven't finished the game yet, you'll like the ending (Don't want to give away too many details)This game was great, hope there is a sequel on the horizon.

There absolutely are differences to the details of how the game ends depending on your choices, but that particular cut scene at the end is the same one for any variation :)

As for Grand Master being Alvin, yeah it's true. But about the assassin at the end. I figured something like this: When alvin teleported to somewhere, possibly to another time, I believe that he traveled past his own timeline, creating two Alvins. Okay, since the Alvin from the future who traveled to past, is now alive before he was born, he was taken as a pupil by some witcher, possibly one from one of the other schools, he underwent the training and mutations and became a witcher (I base this to the phrase in which Alvin says that he'd like to become a witcher, altough, in -THAT- time it was not possible, so when it was possible in the past, he took his chance). While the future Alvin was being trained, another Alvin was born. He, instead of becoming a witcher, learned to use his inheritanced powers and later on, became the Grand Master.Then the events of The Witcher take place, and meanwhile Geralt is killing the Grand Master, the younger (born after the first Alvin traveled back in time) is hired to kill the king.So, when Geralt is getting his reward from the king, the younger Alvin enters the castle, and attacks the king. Ofcourse, as seen in the film Geralt stops this.So now you ask, on what I based this. Well if you compare the charesteristics in the Grand Master who is shown in the game and the assassin showed in the engding film, you can see some, in fact, quite many features that look the same. The nose, assassins beard (and hair) color, and stuff like that. And he also kicked Geralt's leg, which had been crushed before, altough this could have been result of his training so he could notice flaws in opponents defence.Altough for this to happen, it would require that the two Alvin's never met, because that would create a paradox.This is my view of the issue, but as we know, it's just a theory.

Just finished the game yesterday for the first time. Once more someone should give CDPR major props for developing/producing a game with such an intense atmosphere and great story. Kept me going for some time without ever feeling bored the slightest bit! Brilliant work and an outstanding effort!!! Thanks CDPR!!! You got yourself an instant classic here, IMHO...Now for my thoughts towards the ending/cut-scene:1) I totally agree with everyone that Alvin is the Grandmaster, or let's say they are very close connected. The whole story indicates this and the GM appears for the firts time after Alvin has gone in Act IV..., just consider the things he says to Geralt in the last few minutes of the story... seems very much like we're deaing with the same person here.2) Now for the assasin: Dunno if this thought has crossed some one else's mind as well (too lazy to read all the 39 pages to the max. extend), but I think the assasin refers to nobody in the game. It's a plot hook for a future adventure. Maybe The Witcher 2, maybe another official adventure, maybe something else, who knows?Look at the story: Salamandra is destroyed, the Order and the Elven Rebels are destroyed as well (depending on your path, I think). Who would send an assasin to kill the king? Most everybody who disagrees with his leadership. Could be the elves, could be the remains of the Order. But considering the way that Foltest and Radovid the Stern talk to each other the last time you see them, I think it is also possible that Radovid sent the assasin now that he knows Temeria is in turmoil.I personally don't recognise anybody from the game in the assasin's face. I admit though, it could be Alvin if we're all mistaken in the GM = Alvin-Theory, but I don't think so. Remember the way Geralt and Foltest look at the assasin? It's a mixture of not-knowing and surprise. If they don't know it, how are we supposed to know who wants the King dead?I bet the conclusion comes in another adventure (hopefully the second part).

Def96 said:
Now for the assasin: Dunno if this thought has crossed some one else's mind as well (too lazy to read all the 39 pages to the max. extend), but I think the assasin refers to nobody in the game. It's a plot hook for a future adventure. Maybe The Witcher 2, maybe another official adventure, maybe something else, who knows?
i aggree with this one. the assassin's face is not even like Geralt's face. It can give a base to a sequel. The only fact about it is his eyes: witcher's eyes. That could mean that the stolen secrets have been used by someone else than the Grand Master, maybe he shared it with someone, or something. Or maybe a new fraction in the witcher's guild? :eek:

Doctahg said:
I thought the assasin looked just like THE KING!!! Seriously!
yeah, I've said that as well, but the last time I saw the cutscene I totally changed my mind.. the nose is entirely different... it's probably an illussion of the eye, because the last face you see before the assasin is the king's face... now I believe it doesn't look like anyone from the game and the whole point is that a witcher tried to kill the king... so maybe in the sequel we will have good witchers and bad witchers... sth like that

Having watched the movie numerous times we can clearly see that Geralt uses his swords one at a time. Silver for those weak against silver and Steel for the hard armored or also humans. The assassin wielded 2 swords at once dual wielding so it is possible with "cat's" agility it could be from that school. However I think it might have been someone created to possibly lure Geralt and try to assassinate him as Geralt is a threat to not just the kingdoms but the world itself just by the fact that not only is he a legend but possibly one of the best witchers aside from his mentor. It is fully possible that a rival kingdom wanted Geralt dead or sorcerers using broken texts created a witcher like assassin to kill geralt and the king putting someone else in power. Witchers and non humans aren't exactly welcome so any chance to kill one especially one so prominant and well known like the white wolf Geralt would bring in a lot of coin and recognition for killing him and removing problems not to mention keep the power system in tact so those who have power keep it and gain more of it.

Currently it is unknown who the assassin was.But there are quite a few theories.I think it might be better if I give you a link to a already existing discussion:http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=3975.0

A little late response...Like the others, I agree Alvin is probably Grandmaster.As for the Geralt/Assassin(Daryls theory) thing...I think the ending just shows, that despite Geralts effort and the fact he saved secret witchers documents, there is somewhere someone, who is able to do mutations and thus create new "witchers". Just simple "It´s not over, even when you thought it is".

Aetika said:
A little late response...Like the others, I agree Alvin is probably Grandmaster.As for the Geralt/Assassin(Daryls theory) thing...I think the ending just shows, that despite Geralts effort and the fact he saved secret witchers documents, there is somewhere someone, who is able to do mutations and thus create new "witchers". Just simple "It´s not over, even when you thought it is".
Doesn't that also go with what the whole world the game and the saga is about? Nothing is Black and White and everything is seemingly in shades of gray. Not all things pure are pure and not all things monstrous are monsters.

Ok let me be a voice of dissent RE Alvin.It is possible that Alvin is the GM, but certainly not a given. For one, the Salamandra were after Alvin. Why exaclty would they be after Alvin if Jacques deAl... was in fact directing Salamandra? Additionally, I believe at the end of the 3rd act there is a cutscene with the GM and some Order troops. This is all happening when Alvin is supposed to be with Triss. Also, it is clear the GM is active in the world during Act III. E.g. Sigfried is getting presented with a medal and the Order/Salamandra's plans are in motion. All the while Alvin is asking for candy at Triss's house. The debt mentioned in Act V could be any number of things in Geralt past -- the game certainly has no problem referring somewhare cryptically or ambigiously to characters and situations from Geralt's forgotten past. It also could be the the GM realises that Geralt's presence helped accelerate some of the chaos that he wanted to bring to Vizima. The "kill the elves" line in Act IV could just be a child influenced by what they hear from the adults around them. It seems like he was playing kill the elves with the OTHER CHILDREN, a sign of the times more than a sign of any tendencies towards bigotry. In fact, in the epilogue, Jacques pretty much says that the non-humans were just a convenient way of creating chaos. There is no underlying hatred there, just the end justifying the means. Of course, I don't what the witcher world says particularly about time travel, but I would like to think that the same person cannot inhabit the same time frame multiple times. I can accept time travel where a person in his totality can move across time. But time travel where the person essentially splits into two separate entities that are somehow conjoined is too much of a plot contrivance. I;m inclined to think that Alvin is either brother/relative of Jacques, perhaps even a clone...

Oh, I hate the idea of clones in fantasy world of Witcher. :-\ I´m more willing to accept, that Alvin is relative to Jaques, but still I don´t think so. Salamandra went after Alvin, but I think no certain reason was stated. They could just capture him(and deliver to GM, I suppose. Or use him in another way). From my perspective, either Alvin is GM or he is just Source(with no relationship with GM).

Yes I hate the idea of clones as well, but I hate the idea of the same person existing twice at the same time even more. I actually think that he is just another Source, but people might find this not as interesting. It makes more sense really for Salamandra to go after the boy because of his innate magical power. It all really depends on how common or rare Sources are in the world, which I do not really know.

hmm, explanaition of the dimetrium amulet then?The game hints to the end very strongly, that the Grand master is Alvin, because, all the things the Grand Master Later says is what Geralt has taught Alvin (and of course changes depending on what geralt said to Alvin)

Top Bottom