[EPILOGUE] Which boss is toughest?

+
for me, I cannot blame my machine, it runs both very nicely (I only get choppiness in Act three when exiting a building) -- i can only blame my own gaming skills or lack thereof :)

I started this game on HARD and when i came to the beast i died so many times i actualy concidered to just replay it on a easyer difficulty luckly i didnt. Looked for info here and noticed i totaly forgot about using specter oil XD. Since on the monster info it just said sensitive to steel. And figthing the beast with abigal on hard with no oils is "pretty" hard, since he doesnt get those fighting pushbacks, that he does with the oil. But even with the oil it costed me a few tries. The plant monster that gives you a thropy in chapter 2 whas allso hard since i didnt came prepared for that, in the end i avoided it and came back later when i gained a few levels + the armer costing 5k. Than it whas easy, in my opnion the talents + gear make you a bit to strong even on hard it gets pretty easy arround the end of chapter 2. At chapter 5 i whas just a tank, with just a swallow potion the GM + his adds couldnt even do enough damage to me to out damage the healing effect of the swallow potion, basicle i could just go to the toilet and go back and Geralt would still be at 100% (concidering this whas on hard i dont want to know how this fight would be on easy) Its a great game but for me it starts on its hardest and becomes easyer in each chaptor.

XixonDale said:
I started this game on HARD and when i came to the beast i died so many times i actualy concidered to just replay it on a easyer difficulty luckly i didnt. Looked for info here and noticed i totaly forgot about using specter oil XD.
Yeah, what I noticed was some people here saying that killing the beast on "hard" difficulty was a breeze, and others replaying the scene dozens of times before getting past it. The thing that makes it easy to kill is having your Aard as high as possible (like all bronze talents), something I learned after 2 dozen tries, lol.

Thaler said:
Thaler said:
I started this game on HARD and when i came to the beast i died so many times i actualy concidered to just replay it on a easyer difficulty luckly i didnt. Looked for info here and noticed i totaly forgot about using specter oil XD.
Yeah, what I noticed was some people here saying that killing the beast on "hard" difficulty was a breeze, and others replaying the scene dozens of times before getting past it. The thing that makes it easy to kill is having your Aard as high as possible (like all bronze talents), something I learned after 2 dozen tries, lol.
Even if you had Aard maxed out, it was very much luck-based previously; you more or less had to get a stun before it stunned you. Now, with EE it seems it's more balanced: I at least survived two stuns from it (of course, dealing with the barghests first helped that a lot).

I beat the Beast yesterday again, and it was a breeze again. I even used some added difficulty mods. I went into the breach with Spectre Oil, Thunderbolt and Blizzard, then proceeded to slash the infernal hound to spectral pieces with Fast Style. The poor thing never had a chance to retaliate, and I barely lost any health, even though I'd prepared a couple of Swallows. Hope this helps someone. :)

Tahumage said:
The last bosses (Koshkey, Zeugl, GM, Wild Hunt) were too easy.Koshkey: First cast Quen to protect yourself. Second Yrden for pain, and throw it backwards, and then Igni, Igni, Igni, Igni...dead Koshkey. It didn't even touch me.Zeugl: Igni, Igni, Igni, Igni, tentacles gone, more Igni, dead Zeugl.GM: Kill the Fire beasts first (Fast style) Then Quen - Yrden - Igni over and over.Wild Hunt: Igni, Igni, Igni, Igni...Full powered up Igni is absolutely amazing powerfull !!!
Yeah .. I think for my second playthrough (enjoyed the first on 'Normal'), I'm gonna restrict myself by 'maxing out' my Signs at level 3. I may take all the others up to level-5 if I start having trouble TOO much, but the high-level signs can just blow through most fights and make things too easy if you've also kept up with your other skills & side-quested a bit. Maybe 'Hard' plus not-using 1/4 of my Skill Points gained (the 1/4 that would have gone high-level signs) will make the difficulty "perfect" for ME. :peace: I think that 'maxing out' Igni especially, and to some extent Aard (the knockdown/disarm/STUN all-purpose "save me!" sign) is what makes the game "too easy" for much of the last half, so I'm just going to "save up" the points that I would have put into those skills and go through the game on Hard that way and see how it goes. :wave:

petestar1969 said:
The only problem I had with the beast is the annoying ring of fire and general business of the fight in terms of so muich going on that my PC struggles to keep up.I had similar problem in burning Vizima in chapter 5.If my PC didn't bog down the beast would be as easy as the Koschey..
I have similar problems, got a nice fast -CPU-, but a bare-minimun (for this game) video card, so my main 'slowdown' problems were similar to yours .. I actually had to go down a notch on resolution and turn all the settings from "medium" to "low" to be able to PLAY in Vizima during Chapter Five (when you're outside so much, and all the flames and crowds of people stress out your computer more than any other environment). After I finished Five and got to the Epilogue, though, I was able to turn everything back up to the previous levels. Pretty game, either way. :angel:

On this question I'm torn between voting for the Beast and for the Professor. All the other fights felt a LOT easier than those two. With the Beast, admittedly, I probably was lacking a damage talent or two here and there, so I won the fight from, say, the 10th attempt perhaps. I needed to pause and change from group to strong(or was it fast?) style and vice versa depending on whether there were anybarghest around. Also, of course, keeping Abigail alive. It was a tougher battle in the sense of the amount of time and nerves it took off me but when I reach that point again in the game maybe I'd be better prepared.The Professor fight on the other hand, I passed it from the first try but just barely. The Prof.'s "shock shield" was nasty and the 2 kikimore warriors around force you to lose precious seconds changing swords. Hmm, so what now...I'll still vote the Prof.

Frightener - Never fought it, went to help TrissThe Beast - Sided with Abigail, group for the barg-minions, stun and coup-de-grace for the Beast... neeext (even with a few stuns failing... that fire/smoke shader made my comp slow to a crawl though... as in the burning city near the end)Golem - zap zap zap... neeext (unless of course you zap yourself... as i did, four times)Werewolf Vincent - Never fought him, Carmen is scaryProfessor - I forgot how I beat him, so he couldn't have been that impressive ...neeextKikimore Queen - Why on earth would they put a one-shot kill boss in a place where so many things rely on dumb luck and timing? I nearly quit the game after the first dozen triesDagon - Hack, hack, spawn, hack hack spawn... rinse and repeat... neeextBerengar -Pushover, he didn't even manage to exploit a known weakness... neeextStriga - Run run run run run run run, woah dizzy, oh time's out... neeextKoschey - Big mean tough mf ...tied for third place with Azar JavedAzar Javed - As expected, not easy to beat... mostly due to stuns ...tied for third with his petZeugl - More time consuming and frustrating than anything... neeextGrand Master - Tough, annoying... second place, would be first if not for Queen KikiKing of Wild Hunt - Meh, can't even recall how I beat him... neeextOther Monsters with Name: Coccacidium - Seriously... after dying five times I was a hell of a lot more careful in the swamp

LithMaethor said:
Golem - zap zap zap... neeext (unless of course you zap yourself... as i did, four times)Werewolf Vincent - Never fought him, Carmen is scary...Dagon - Hack, hack, spawn, hack hack spawn... rinse and repeat... neeext...Other Monsters with Name: Coccacidium - Seriously... after dying five times I was a hell of a lot more careful in the swamp
Thanks for the post; it made me chuckle.Golem: He's a lot harder if (for some reason I can't remember) you CANNOT make the lighting posts activate. ;)Werewolf: Carmen?! Oh, well, maybe if you were considering her for a girlfriend (which .. er.. let's not go there).Dagon: Seriously. I was -very- disappointed by this fight against a DEMIGOD. >sigh< I -so- wanted this one to be epic.Coccacidium: Yeah, these -dominated- the swamp, and .. oh, where else did they kill me a few times.. Act Four, in the fields somewhere? :)

the posts only work properly in a lightning storm, is there one going on right now ? if not, the druids can oblige (for the low, low fee of 500 orens) :peace:

Coccacidium was by far the hardest for me until I realized it doesn't shoot very far nor go underground; first time I beat it, I used Swallow+Tawny Owl+Blizzard and barely beat it on bottom of my health. Nowadays I simply Igni Fireball it or Igni Run it and it's easy as heck, but the first fight was TOUGH. Azar Javed was the second toughest for me since I didn't have the anti-Knockdown potion and thus beating him took time. I found Beast was easy as heck (second playthrough I had the Circle of Elements+Place of Power to Aard it to oblivion; first time I simply had specter oil and beat the tar out of it), Kikimore Queen was fun to kill with the sword and Devil's Puffball as learned online (although I did Aard it once; it's not dumb luck, you just need to go about jumping and Aard the last beams once you're outside them). Golem was surprisingly fun to Yrden+Harvall to death; too bad it's so slow it cannot actually pose a real threat to your life.Frightener was the most boring fight I ever had; I hate fights where you need to go through certain pre-determined patterns. Savolla was more interesting, although didn't feel like a real mage, standing there getting beat. I was really looking forward to an actual Sorcerer-battle with Azar, but to my disappointment, he was just a souped up beater (although a tough one at that). Teleport dodging, stunwaves and offensive magic, protection fields and summons, THAT's what I was looking for. My signs are more magic than what Azar used in the entire fight, and he was supposedly the man who beat Triss in a mage duel. Dagon fight was also hugely disappointing. He just walked in circles as I killed his losers. Professor died as I was groupstyling his lackeys. I actually didn't notice him, so he can't have been that tough. Although the animation was cool. Zeugl was yawn, although it certainly could've proven difficult. The Grand Master and the King should've done some epic stuff; Grand Master being an immensely powerful source should make for more than a swordfight, and King of the Wild Hunt being...well, yet another divinity should've really made for an epic specter fight.

Elealar said:
Coccacidium was by far the hardest for me until I realized it doesn't shoot very far nor go underground; first time I beat it, I used Swallow+Tawny Owl+Blizzard and barely beat it on bottom of my health. Nowadays I simply Igni Fireball it or Igni Run it and it's easy as heck, but the first fight was TOUGH. Azar Javed was the second toughest for me since I didn't have the anti-Knockdown potion and thus beating him took time. I found Beast was easy as heck (second playthrough I had the Circle of Elements+Place of Power to Aard it to oblivion; first time I simply had specter oil and beat the tar out of it), Kikimore Queen was fun to kill with the sword and Devil's Puffball as learned online (although I did Aard it once; it's not dumb luck, you just need to go about jumping and Aard the last beams once you're outside them). Golem was surprisingly fun to Yrden+Harvall to death; too bad it's so slow it cannot actually pose a real threat to your life.Frightener was the most boring fight I ever had; I hate fights where you need to go through certain pre-determined patterns. Savolla was more interesting, although didn't feel like a real mage, standing there getting beat. I was really looking forward to an actual Sorcerer-battle with Azar, but to my disappointment, he was just a souped up beater (although a tough one at that). Teleport dodging, stunwaves and offensive magic, protection fields and summons, THAT's what I was looking for. My signs are more magic than what Azar used in the entire fight, and he was supposedly the man who beat Triss in a mage duel. Dagon fight was also hugely disappointing. He just walked in circles as I killed his losers. Professor died as I was groupstyling his lackeys. I actually didn't notice him, so he can't have been that tough. Although the animation was cool. Zeugl was yawn, although it certainly could've proven difficult. The Grand Master and the King should've done some epic stuff; Grand Master being an immensely powerful source should make for more than a swordfight, and King of the Wild Hunt being...well, yet another divinity should've really made for an epic specter fight.
I agree, they should have ramped it up a notch and forced us to use every last potion, especially on hard.

Koschey for me, but Golem frustrated me becuse I had trouble hitting the right timing for lightning strike. One wrong move and you are dead with Golem and Koschey is just incredibly tough and deals rather high damage. I am a bit suprised Beast got so many votes. I didnt find it particulary hard. Actually, I would say I rather enjoyed fighting it and ending with a nice aard stun and horizontal slash.

Koschey was a piece of cake i played it on easy,then normal and now im playing it on hard i just drank Kiss then ive used igni and strong silver and after 10 seconds koschey was down

It depends really, I just played through the game for a second time on hard difficulty, but didn't find any of the fights particularly hard. On the other hand, when I first played it years ago (damn, has it been that long?!) on normal, I remember having a harder time. The one fight that stands out the most was with the Beast, at the time my PC wasn't up to par with TW and those fires burning all around slowed me down. ;) I had to restart a couple of times during the other fights too, most notably the Kikimore Queen, took me ages to figure that one out. The rest I can't remember, so they couldn't have been that bad. During the second go, I expected things to be harder (I had ramped up the difficult after all), but no...not really. Again, the fight with the Beast was tricky, but this time I came prepared. After going through the game once, I had begun to appreciate the uses of potions and oils. Swallow and specter oil did the trick here nicely. However, as has been mentioned, I attribute the difficulty of the fight more to the lack of tools in your arsenal. That said, neither the Beast nor any of the other bosses required a reload. Apart from the Kiki Queen and not due to her, but because I collapsed the passage on myself :D The biggest problem was the damned Coccacidium in the Swamp, a real ****** that one. Took me about 10 tries to finally get it down. Had to use Blizzard, Golden Oriole and Swallow for that one. I had the Ritual of Magic buff on me as well, hoping to use Igni to toast that beastie. The truth, however, was that only after I dropped Igni from my rotation did I succeed. While the animation lasted the Coccacidium managed to land in a hit or two on me, which often proved fatal. The same is true for other Archespores and Echinopsae (sp?) you meet early on, they can be difficult as they often manage to poison you and get in a few hits before you actually reach them. A honourable notice goes to the Alghoul, forgot his name, in the crypt in Chapter I. At that time he was just too much for my health pool, Swallow could not keep up. Luckily, Geralt is one fast bugger so I solved the problem by running around a lot. I also found it quite funny that some poor old Alghoul took me more time to take down that one of the "legendary" monsters out there.The Golem was a bit meh. I got the lighting storm but forgot to activate the obelisks, so I had to take him down the hard way. Again, it was a lengthy fight, but not difficult at all. Even with stuns, the overgrown pile of stones could not get my health down below 70%. As others mentioned, often the danger came from unexpected sources. Most often groups of enemies that overwhelmed you with numbers, such as drowners in Chapter II. That or stuff that could rack up big damage relatively quick, like Kikimore Warriors, which were always a nuisance to battle. I was a bit disappointed, however, because I went through 95% of the game without using most of the potions. Swallow and Cat were the ones I brewed most. I used Wolf once or twice, but mostly forgot about it. The famed Thunderbolt I used only once...that's right, in the very beginning. I carried three of them around, waiting for a good opportunity (I'm a bit of a skinflint in such regards...:p) to use them, but it never came. White Raffard's I had to turn to a couple of times, but no more than 3. The most crucial one being in the fight with the Koschey, as it managed to get that nasty bleed on me. No oils (apart from once or twice) or bombs either and I only used Aard for most of the time, with the occasional Igni. Didn't level them up too much though, stayed at bronze talents. I should get that mod that boosts up the challenge, then I feel I'll be more worthy of voting in this poll :)

Guest 2091327

I voted the Kikimore Queen, cause I think it's the only boss that actually killed me (possibly once by the Beast too, as it was darn early). I tried to take her on myself, and that didn't work at all. Then I walk into the other cave and after being trapped here or there tried to take down the structure. Apparently Geralt can't take a ton of stones on top of him :D Succeeded after 5-6 tries though. Don't know if it was scripted or not, but the thing died just in front of my feet in the back corridor, so I thought I had to reload - again.I did play on easy (think I chose it anyway), but the Professor, Javed, and the final two bosses on top of the world went down easily. Or at least without me risking death. Same with the Striga, though she at least gave me a proper fight. I tended to stick mostly with sword skills too, with the occasional Aard or Igni spell. Ended the game on level 40.From what I've seen of TW2 trailers it will be a whole new ballgame. The Big Burning Tower Face Dude looks rather frightening...

I voted for Koschey as this was the only monster after chapter 1 that managed to kill me more than once (i.e. I was surprised/unprepared on occasion by others). The Beast was undoubtedly very difficult in Chapter 1, but I put that down to not knowing how to fight properly at that stage as well as not having the stats. The spider queen was also difficult, but I count that as a problem to be solved rather than a fight. I think the poll result accurately reflects my experience of the game.I played on hard difficulty and upgraded in the following priority order (roughly):StrengthDexEnduranceGroup SilverGroup SteelStrong SilverStrong SteelFast SilverFast SteelIntelligenceAardIgniOther signs with what was left over in bronzeSo I got to level 5 for all sword fighting attributes and skills, level 4 Aard and Igni, and level 2 for the other signs. I also prioritized Group styles for additional high level bonuses as well as extras that helped reduce nasty effects like bleeding and stun. I guessed the biggest danger would come from multiple opponent attacks, and apart from this Koschey creature, so it proved. My group styles proved devastating, so much so that I was slightly dissappointed with how easy it was to lay waste to the Grand Master and King of the Wild Hunt and their respective entourages at the end. One bottle of Swallow, one of Tawney Owl, one Wolverine, a 60% extra damage rune for the steel sword I got from the village blacksmith (the 3000gp one) and some Argentine coating for the Silver I got from the Lady of the Lake and they didn't stand a chance.It was over in five minutes in one take. Definitely too easy at the end.

Top Bottom