Equip - An Artifact Nerf Suggestion

+
When artifacts are not the main part of the deck, everything is fine, mostly. However, when artifacts are combined with a creature-less control deck, things might get out of hand. Furthermore, spamming up to 4 artifacts on both sides as the opening play (in the third round), can be a bit boring. So, how can we solve this issue (without completely destroying artifacts)? By introducing the equip mechanic:

Variation 1: Equip: this artifact can only be played next to a unit.
Variation 2: Equip: this artifact can only be used when there is a unit next to it.

Either way the idea is to have more units on the board and another way to counter artifacts.

An easy and straightforward fix, me thinks.

EDIT: added variation 2.

I totally agrre we you. But I suggest a 3rd option. Make artifacts lockable... 4th: bring armor back to the game, give "heavy" units armor or make arifact what give armor to units.

I think as well artefacts should all be gold so only one of each allowed in a deck. 2 lances or 2 shields is just stupid and boring.

From all the suggestions I have read I feel the following things would fix artifacts: limited number in each deck. In thronebreaker there are alota for special cards, could be something like that or just making them gold. And then artifacts are attached to units. It makes perfect sense that a spear needs a soldier to wield it, or a portion needs a medic or alchemist to brew and deploy it. That unit gets destroyed? Artifact is unusable until another unit picks it up, so to speak. B Think it will provide much more room for balancing and interesting mechanics. I also read someone mentioning units can have abilities like giving artifacts charges or reducing them. Love that too! It could end up so complex and not at all binary.

I am confident cdpr will work on this. Now I just need them to prove me right :)

In other words, artefacts would require units -- 'crewmen' -- to activate them. Well, I like the idea.

As an artifact user I agree with the subject. I am not as crazy as some Eithnes (once I had an opponent with 8 artifacts out of 10 cards in the third round). The most reasonable option would just keep artifacts disabled until there is a unit nearby. This will decrease the total amount of artifacts in the decks to reasonable amount. Also will give a chance for control decks to counter artifacts (i foresee Saesenthessis+Sihil combo).
Overall I like how artifacts work and I wouldn't want them to be nerfed badly.
I hope devs read these threads and will do their best to improve the game! We have faith in you, guys!

I think the following is the best
Variation 2: Equip: this artifact can only be used when there is a unit next to it.
is nice. But actually equip should be the standard, and Direct Usage:This artifact can be manually activated at any time should be the exception.
Combined with an armor system that gives artifacts high armor(e.g. 7/6/8) so that artifacts can be removed by removal, but only at a greater cost, then you can remove most of the binary artifact removal, you get a mostly balanceable interaction possibility.

Going to toss out another option.... After thinking about it for a while I reached the conclusion artifacts make this game worse. I was struggling to find any iteration where this wouldn't be true. Then I realized it isn't the concept of artifacts at all. It's artifacts designed like MC Spear, Scale Shield, Ales, etc. Artifacts like Summoning Circle, Cadaverine, Vandergrift's Blade and Bloody Flail are not actually all that bad. They're synergistic with specific cards, not abhorrently expensive and, most importantly, unique.

The proposal is this... Shift all artifacts toward the design of Vandergrift's Blade and away from the design of MC Spear. Vandergrift's Blade relies on units being played to generate value. It does not function without units. This means interaction from both players to make it work. Spear, on the other hand, relies upon no synergies. It's ping 1 per turn. The lack of interaction is the problem. The lack of interaction only exists due to the lack of reliance on any unit synergies.

To throw out an example... Spear could damage a random enemy by one whenever the owner places a unit on the board. Wyvern Scale shield could boost an orders unit by one whenever the owner places a unit on the board. Obviously these are simplified examples for illustrative purposes. The interactivity problem is solved. The purpose of artifacts shifts toward supplementing units. This, I think, would be fine.

Any/all special cards should only work in conjunction with units. Artefacts need to "belong" to someone, else it makes a complete mockery of the card game and the Thronebreaker "battle" aspect. How can you throw spells without having anyone to cast it?

So true this. It makes sense that artifacts need to be equipped by units as suggested. I find it funny to see a lonely MC Spear killing off a small unit. What did the unit do? Tripped, fell, landed on the spear?

In my opinion, the focus should be entirely on units fighting each other, with artifacts being able to boost and enhance these units. I would even go so far as to say that there should be no artifact cards on the battle field (except traps). The equipped unit gets a clear artifact icon on the card. Agree with Void_Singer that when a unit is destroyed, the equipped artifact should be gone as well. When equipping artifacts would give units a boost, increased damage and/or specific abilities, this would make artifacts interesting to play, but the focus would be on units fighting each other.

Last edited:
While a good suggestion, there has to be one exception: The Frightener artifact. The way it works, it simply makes no sense to have units next to it. Not to mention that it's hardly played at the moment anyway, despite having a really cool concept.

Additionally, Mastercrafted Spears need a reach of 1. They are melee weapons after all. That way they can damage an enemy one row away (enemy melee) or an ally to trigger abilities (Queensguard)

While a good suggestion, there has to be one exception: The Frightener artifact. The way it works, it simply makes no sense to have units next to it. Not to mention that it's hardly played at the moment anyway, despite having a really cool concept.

Additionally, Mastercrafted Spears need a reach of 1. They are melee weapons after all. That way they can damage an enemy one row away (enemy melee) or an ally to trigger abilities (Queensguard)
The Frightener is not a problem - you can simply use an ability for that, or alternative, just don't apply Equip.

The Frightener is not a problem - you can simply use an ability for that, or alternative, just don't apply Equip.

It is because you are destroying your own units to trigger it. Say you play your deathwish unit next to it. You then destroy it. What happens? does the timer go down? Does it not?

That's why Equip cannot work in that case, not without making that card even worse at least. In my opinion it shouldn't either.

It is because you are destroying your own units to trigger it. Say you play your deathwish unit next to it. You then destroy it. What happens? does the timer go down? Does it not?

That's why Equip cannot work in that case, not without making that card even worse at least. In my opinion it shouldn't either.
You didn't read correctly. I was saying that you either have an ability Equip applied to most artifacts but you should leave it out for The Frightener or Equip is standard and you apply an ability to The Frightener to make that an exception.

I'm all for "equip", where it makes sense of course, so not for ambushes. But potions, weapons, things that boost, damage and give charges, yes. For Frightener, as it is "Dormant", why not make it a medium strength unit that gets boosted to 12 and immune when it gets "Awake"?

Just throwing it out there as an idea for more focus on units (battle between armies), perhaps a separate provision limit can be created for special and artifact cards. So for example, a deck has max 165 provisions, of which max 55 provisions can be used for special or artifact cards.

Thinking about Equip in more detail, it may actually not be the best solution for artifacts. Although I really like the realistic concept of equipping units instead of playing specific artifacts on the board, removal of an equipped unit would be pretty strong (removing unit and artifact as one card) and technically it may be complicated to implement Equip.

To me the best solution now seems to be the one that CDPR is already thinking about: to give artifacts a bit of armor. Armor destroyed - artifact gone. Armor points don't count for the score and artifact potential value will be higher if played early. Playing early increases the risk of removal, so that's a nice balance. I would suggest to keep the "destroy an artifact" cards as there are not that many anyway.

Thinking here, the idea of artifact is not even so bad, just a few of them that are not working in a nifty way is healthy for the game.

Look at that simple, spear, whenever opponent put a unit in the field suffers 1 damage.

Shield, whenever an alidao appears, reinforce in 1.

Of course, go improving other artifacts, for example, only 1 range range or combination with the cards.

Thinking here, the idea of artifact is not even so bad, just a few of them that are not working in a nifty way is healthy for the game. Look at that simple, spear, whenever opponent put a unit in the field suffers 1 damage. Shield, whenever an alidao appears, reinforce in 1. Of course, go improving other artifacts, for example, only 1 range range or combination with the cards. Sihil - whenever an enemy unit dies increases its damage by 1, whenever 1 ally dies, decrease its strength by 1, this is an example!

Top Bottom