Equipment Imports to TW3

+
This news worries me allot, i did all the pain and hard work then for nothing in my witcher 2 ?
I finished the game 2 times previous month on darkmode, so this means the save import is kinds useless?
No weapons or armors carried over, no special npc,s like saskia, rochem yorvet, anais, siegfried wil be seen in the witcher 3?

Great just great all the hard work for nuthing, if u can do the same thing if u talk with that barber.
I still buy the game, but cd projekt red lost a bit of faith now from my side.

So you play a game so that you can import the gear to the next game? Sorry, that's ridiculous. No one ever promised such a thing. Further more, the open world and thus the gear scaling concept of TW3 renders this option pretty much impossible.
How do you picture this? How strong the items would be? Level 1 "epic gear"? You'd still switch to better weapons/armor at level 3. makes no sense.
There's no logical reason to import items from the previous games.

Choices, that's a whole different story. Then again, We've made so much of them, that there's no way TW3 can include every one of them, the branching into different situations, dialogues, states of the world...it's unreal to pull off, be realistic.

Last edited:
Old Gear

Soo... IDK if it's been answered anywhere or even hinted at. I'm going through another replay of TW1 (and then TW2) and the question is, how is gear transferring from the old games going to work? More importantly, will I be able to transfer Raven's armor and Aerondight from TW1 to TW2 to TW3? I've legit gone through TW2 using Raven's Armor only and it was fantastic. I want to be able to use it in TW3 also.

Soo... IDK if it's been answered anywhere or even hinted at. I'm going through another replay of TW1 (and then TW2) and the question is, how is gear transferring from the old games going to work? More importantly, will I be able to transfer Raven's armor and Aerondight from TW1 to TW2 to TW3? I've legit gone through TW2 using Raven's Armor only and it was fantastic. I want to be able to use it in TW3 also.

Short answer: NO.

Long answer: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/22268-Equipment-Imports-to-TW3?p=1633547#post1633547

There's also the thread where ppl discuss these things, as you would imagine, this topic was brought up many times before.

edit: Aaaand I see the moderators are quicker than a child after chilli, so there you go 15 pages on that issue:)

Would be nice if you could somehow upgrade your weapons with runes & ores or something (at a great price maybe?) as you go through the game.

All right, friends, sad news: My question was answered by Miles Tost, on the recent GOG.com Twitch stream ([video]http://www.twitch.tv/gogcom/v/4721705[/video]), and it seems there'll be no equipment carried over from the previous games into Wild Hunt. Hard to swallow, but it looks like they want everybody to start even, and seek out their new gear.

Yup, caught that too... a shame, really, I was hoping we could use our old armor/weapons a bit longer and upgrade them (like we could in TW2). I'm also not particular fond of the starting armor (if that IS the starting armor) since it looks a bit too... modern?

Ah well, maybe the modding community can do something about that...

I'm also not particulary fond of the starting armor (if that IS the starting armor) since it looks a bit too... modern?

I wouldn't describe it as "modern", but I'm no fan either. As soon as someone works out how to unpack the game files, I'll be modding that to the nearest I can find to Raven. And probably the same with every other armour I switch to in the game afterwards. Just like I did with TW2.

It's nice if you can import your old armor and weapons; it still shows the accomplishment you have reached in the previous games. However it's sad that it only effective in the first part of the game and then you need to change your equipment. In that case the developers would need to make sure that you could upgrade those items, or just make them non-essential, so that they are a reminder of your past accomplishments but don't affect anything else.(It's too bad that the armor and the sword aren't even referred to in TW2.)

You can't just import the gear link ;)
You have actually to model this things anew, because of the new engine.

No you don't. At most you have to redo some normal maps or such, but the 3D mesh is the same, made in 3DS Max/Maya.
You don't have to remake any asset from scratch just because you move to a new engine, it reads 3D polygons just the same.
The one time you ever remake them is when you move away from an engine that had some technological limitations, like not being able to render as many polygons as the new engine. Which was the case with W1 -> W2 transition of gear imports. So they make new assets since old ones are too low poly to fit with the rest of the assets in the new game.
W2 assets already had a lot of tris, they wouldn't need to be remade for W3.
It's not even a new engine, it's the same engine as Witcher 2 just reworked and upgraded. I'd reckon a lot of the same engine code is still present.

Last edited:
No you don't. At most you have to redo some normal maps or such, but the 3D mesh is the same, made in 3DS Max/Maya.
You don't have to remake any asset from scratch just because you move to a new engine, it reads 3D polygons just the same.
It's not even a new engine, it's the same engine as Witcher 2 just reworked and upgraded. I'd reckon a lot of the same engine code is still present.
The number of polygons differ a lot ( characters now have 100% more polygons compared to W2)
So you do have to do redo it nearly from scratch. Of course even this would take a good programmer kinda some hours for an armor + sword.
I just wanted to state that it's nothing like copy a link as someone here mentioned earlier.

Regarding the ones getting angry cause talking to the barbier equals having actual save games:
What's the matter ? Where would be the positive aspect to force players playing W2 to be equal from the start ? Why to close quests/items etc for other ones? Everyone should be able to enjoy the game as conplete as possible.

For all missing an armor/sword: maybe you find one that you even like better
Progressing is one big aspect of rpgs, so why you want to have either a sword from W2 that is overpowered or that you have to dumb for a lvl 2 sword ??

For all missing an armor/sword: maybe you find one that you even like better
Progressing is one big aspect of rpgs, so why you want to have either a sword from W2 that is overpowered or that you have to dumb for a lvl 2 sword ??

I think that the problem is that people did get attached to certain equipment, especially Aerondight or Raven, that had a story to it. And the Act III equipment in TW3 didn't really get much use - especially Addan Deith and Caerme, again with stories behind them.

The balancing is obviously a problem, they'd need to either nerf them or delay them becoming available, neither of which is satisfactory for a lot of players.

On the other hand, this is something that primarily affects PC players, so modding is an option. Personally, I'd go with modding equipment that's already in the game and using assets similar in appearance, it'll be easier than creating new assets, if polycount is a problem.

The number of polygons differ a lot ( characters now have 100% more polygons compared to W2)
Yea, for characters. Not for most other assets that take up such a small amount of space on the screen. You're not going to redo a sword that's already high poly in W2 to an even higher poly one for W3. It's just diminishing returns, goes against smart optimization of assets.
I bet my left nut the swords in W3 aren't any more detailed than they already were in Witcher 2.
There are already assets like some bags and barrels reused from W2 if you look at some W3 videos, and it's clear they're the exact same assets. There's probably plenty of others I've just missed.
Point is, they could have imported these weapons with relative ease, but they chose not to. All just to make the newcomers feel like they're not being left out, and instead make some of the long time fans feel like they are.
I'm not really one to care about some of the gear carrying over, but it's not an issue of having to complete remake the assets.
What I do care about however is hearing that quest related items aren't being carried over either. That just leaves scepticism about how much decisions will even matter from the previous game, if at all.
I never expected any huge changes, just small things here and there, but it seems like we're not even getting that. Probably even less carried over than W1 to W2.
Are we even going to hear about previous characters like Saskia, and whether we broke the spell over her or not? Or even see or hear about characters like Sile if we chose to let her go or kill her?
From the info we already have I'm getting a big fat fucking NO here.

Last edited:
What I do care about however is hearing that quest related items aren't being carried over either. That just leaves scepticism about how much decisions will even matter from the previous game, if at all.
I never expected any huge changes, just small things here and there, but it seems like we're not even getting that. Probably even less carried over than W1 to W2.
Are we even going to hear about previous characters like Saskia, and whether we broke the spell over her or not? Or even see or hear about characters like Philippa if we chose to let her go or kill her?

Well, given that they've gone to the trouble of creating the barber to allow players to import their decisions if they can't use savegames, those decisions must have SOME impact. I agree, it's not likely to be much, and I wouldn't be optimistic that the game will care whether (for example) you saved Abigail, or rescued the Elven Women. But yes, I expect some impact from the major characters in TW2, even if it's just an update through dialogue.

(And I'd really love to know which choices you made that allowed you to kill Philippa, but I'm guessing that was just a typo :) )

Who even cares about equipment or quest items. The Vran armor was alright, but not that amazing. And aside from Addan Deith, there weren't any "important" swords. And quest items? There was only Melitele's Heart, which was really neat, but, again, useless.
The lewd tattoo has already been confirmed and that's honestly good enough for me, as far as importing "the little things" goes.

Yea, for characters. Not for most other assets that take up such a small amount of space on the screen. You're not going to redo a sword that's already high poly in W2 to an even higher poly one for W3. It's just diminishing returns, goes against smart optimization of assets.
I bet my left nut the swords in W3 aren't any more detailed than they already were in Witcher 2.
There are already assets like some bags and barrels reused from W2 if you look at some W3 videos, and it's clear they're the exact same assets. There's probably plenty of others I've just missed.
Point is, they could have imported these weapons with relative ease, but they chose not to. All just to make the newcomers feel like they're not being left out, and instead make some of the long time fans feel like they are.
I'm not really one to care about some of the gear carrying over, but it's not an issue of having to complete remake the assets.
Are we even going to hear about previous characters like Saskia, and whether we broke the spell over her or not? Or even see or hear about characters like Sile if we chose to let her go or kill her?

You're poor left nut ( why the left not the right ? :D just curious ? :D )
Let's be serious, as I stated just before, I agree on the aspect that if the devs would have wanted to import some armors/swords it would habe been achievable - relativley easy.

Nevertheless your point that the did not import old item stuff is because of newcomers is just wrong. The only thing that matters here is the gameplay.
As @Dragonbird stated above there would have been two options: On the one hand making the items totally low-level ( --> no one would use them for long ), on the other hand make the items legendary but then gameplaywise it would suck.
Regardless this whole point, I think there gonna be swords/armors looking similiar and when you finally craft/achieve them you gonna feel satisfaction and thus being much better than just having them at the beginning ( all players just could download the save files anywhere )

Regarding the decission concerns of yours, I agree. Hopefully they do have some serious impacts.

You're poor left nut ( why the left not the right ? :D just curious ? :D )
Let's be serious, as I stated just before, I agree on the aspect that if the devs would have wanted to import some armors/swords it would habe been achievable - relativley easy.

Nevertheless your point that the did not import old item stuff is because of newcomers is just wrong. The only thing that matters here is the gameplay.
As @Dragonbird stated above there would have been two options: On the one hand making the items totally low-level ( --> no one would use them for long ), on the other hand make the items legendary but then gameplaywise it would suck.
Regardless this whole point, I think there gonna be swords/armors looking similiar and when you finally craft/achieve them you gonna feel satisfaction and thus being much better than just having them at the beginning ( all players just could download the save files anywhere )

Regarding the decission concerns of yours, I agree. Hopefully they do have some serious impacts.

As I stated earlier: In TW2, the Raven armor and endgame swords gave you a little edge 'till you hit the mid/end part of Chapter 1, if you upgraded them properly... I don't really see why that wouldn't be possible to in Wild Hunt... They could very well make them viable through the prologue, or even longer if you upgrade them too... not every armor/weapon, of course, but the most interesting/legendary ones.

...as far as the dagger and Melitele's Heart go: Geralt could get them later in the story, if they become quest relevant. Maybe he stashed them with Triss?

Last edited:
I have to admit, i'm pretty dissapointed to not even see Aerondight being imported into the game. The other equipment i made was just extra. I collected pretty much everything on a Dark mode save, for both sides of the story.

Top Bottom