Equivalent of Arena in Gwent?

+
Equivalent of Arena in Gwent?

Or a game mode somewhat similar to Arena (as seen in Hearthstone)?

I made a post also asking for a draft sealed arena type mode i think it would be really cool if cd red did a limited mode.

i just wonder if they did with out factions, I think it would be very goood if you just get 6 packs and build a deck and play.

Doubt there will be an equivalent 'Arena' at launch, (since there wasn't one for Hearthstone either.)

However, some parts wouldn't, seemingly, be too difficult to bring over.
You could have matches where biting frost is constantly in play, where Siege units are not allowed at all, weathers change per turn.

These are things that will be in the story mode already (Or similar)

Doubt there will be an equivalent 'Arena' at launch, (since there wasn't one for Hearthstone either.)

However, some parts wouldn't, seemingly, be too difficult to bring over.
You could have matches where biting frost is constantly in play, where Siege units are not allowed at all, weathers change per turn.

These are things that will be in the story mode already (Or similar)

I think you are confusing Arena and Tavern Brawl. Arena has been in Hearthstone since launch. In case you don't know it is a mode where you pay a bit of gold, you get to draft a new deck one card at a time from a random selection of 3, and then you play with the deck until you get 3 losses at which point you get knocked out and rewarded depending on how many wins you got in that time.

I personally think something arena-like would be fantastic, though I would prefer a format where you get, say, 100 random cards and you have to put a deck togehter with those (but that might be too intimidating or overwhelming for new players)

You're absolutely right, I was thinking of Tavern Brawl. D'oh! :facepalm2:

Arena would be an excellent addition and I think it is something I'd be VERY happy seeing.
I WANT IT!

Arena allows these things:
- New Players and Veterans will get random cards, so there is no advantage to having built up a larger card library.
- All players are on equal footing when choosing decks. (Except some random luck)
- Makes losses more tense and meaningful.
- Rewards at the end! :smiling2:
-It allows you to try out Deck combos and strategies you couldn't normally do because you don't have the cards to do it in standard Multiplayer.

This Needs To Be A Feature!

jarci

Forum regular
Actually i think new players will enjoy this more than normal competitive ladder because for ladder they will need have some cards for solid decks but you can start play arena right after registration if you have some experiences with similar games. Personally i will enjoy picking one card from multiple options much more than just get limited number of cards right after entering arena and create deck from it and if draft is not limited by time it will be also very good type of game for new players

An arena mode is a nice idea but mach making must still be good otherwise this mode can be extremely frustrating. Experience player can do much more with random cards than new players. But it also depends on how complex the mechanics are going to be. The TW3 Gwent was pretty straight forward so random cards are random cards.

An "Arena" or "Draft" game mode?

Recently I have been looking for other CCGs to fill my time with while I wait for the Gwent beta and I found a CCG called Eternal which has a very interesting mode called "Draft". I am not in the Eternal beta myself so I may be wrong, but from what I understand you basically open packs (which you have bought with in-game currency or real money) and chose cards from those packs to build a deck and compete against other players doing the same and in the end you keep all of the cards you have "drafted". I know a very similar game mode exists in HEX too.

Gwent is probably going to have a game mode where you make a deck of random cards. What I want to ask is if that game mode is more like the Arena in Hearthstone or more like the "Draft" in Eternal and HEX.

While many players enjoy the Arena in Hearthstone, I personally prefer the "draft" since it offers better rewards and a more enjoyable experience. (I have played "draft" in HEX and I had a lot of fun with it.)

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

mjul

Forum veteran
I don't like the Draft mechanics since they exclude players who have no packs to open. Any mode in the game should be open to all players and if there is a threshold then it should be very low, like in Hearthstone.

I'd like to see some variation of this mechanic in an alternate play for Gwent but I don't know how that should look. Should it be totally random, should it be faction specific? Gwent's mechanics are different enough that they warrant a somewhat unique approach to these modes of gameplay.

You have a point. I would be totally happy with a different approach to the Hearthstone type Arena.

Mjul has a very valid point. Having players actually playing the game mode is kind of important. It's not like no one plays arena in hearthstone, but there are a fair amount of people agreeing that arena is a little bit underplayed. Both the devs and some arena streamers have stated that they really want more people to play arena and are both thinking of ways to make that happen. Designing a game mode with an even higher threshold than hs arena might not be a great idea.
I don't really have any experience with other drafting mode's than hs's, but i don't think a " sealed draft mode" necessarily is more excluding to players though. You might be able to come up with clever designs to not make that a problem. I can't think of any, but that could be the case :) But yeah. Probably not. CDPR should really be careful with the threshold and a "sealed draft mode" probably lies beyond that line. We'll have to see what they come up with. I have faith they will think this through :)

As I understand it, you are saying Arena is too competitive and requires too much skill for players to play? Isn't Arena supposed to be skill-based? If you mean the price for Arena, you can get the gold fairly quickly. It's just 50 more than a normal pack and that is one daily quest and 3 wins more. If you are lucky you get the 50 gold with only one daily quest. Draft, however, really is more expensive since you actually have to buy multiple packs to play and that makes it less accessible... But yes, the most important thing is the enjoyment players get out of it. I too have faith in CDPR to make a skill-based, enjoyable and accessible gamemode. Unfortunately, I too don't have any ideas to offer. :(

Last edited:
during pax they were asked about draft they did not know what it was so gwent will not have it Sad times.

If they really want gwent to be a e sport draft would have been added. this really hurts the game in my opinion we will see though.

Last edited:

mjul

Forum veteran
during pax they were asked about draft they did not know what it was so gwent will not have it Sad times.

If they really want gwent to be a e sport draft would have been added. this really hurts the game in my opinion we will see though.

They didn't say no. They said they were looking into it. I think there will be some mode similar, but how that'll work I have no clue.

They didn't say no. when you have to explain the mode you are talking about that's a no at least on release. (singleplayer and nilfgaurd will come out before it) I was really hoping they would at least show single player,so it sounds like they are still working to get a model to test it. Charging money for it without showing it is a hard sell but we will see what's going happen moving forward. I hope they just don't leave us in the dark until October. No real big places left to show or talk about the game so we might be waiting a while for something new.

Dont forget it was only the Narrative Desinger / Art Director and Community Manager.
And I hadn't heard 'draft' mode - When he started explaining it one of them recognised it as something similar to Hearthstones Arena.

when you have to explain the mode you are talking about
Draft and Arena is basically the same concept, major difference is the entry fees vs rewards. It's just that HS is so popular, almost anybody who never played other card games will not have heard of Drafting. There's no question a similar game mode is already in the works for Gwent.

I am really not so sure they would of said something by now if they are working on a mode like this, I mean they really haven't shown off the deck builder so I really don't a mode like this is coming. Somebody would of said something by now. Our best hope to have it put after the game comes out to much in the pipeline now.

Mateusz from the panel doesn't work on the multiplayer side of the game, so isn't involved in the design of multiplayer features. He's our narrative designer and creates great stories, which is why he's heading up the single player content for Gwent :)

We have a separate team of designers working on multiplayer content and game balance, who have a lot of experienced with both physical and digital competitive games. They are focused on game balance at the moment for the standard mode as we feel this is the most important thing to get right first :)

Top Bottom