Equivalent of Arena in Gwent?

+
Mateusz from the panel doesn't work on the multiplayer side of the game, so isn't involved in the design of multiplayer features. He's our narrative designer and creates great stories, which is why he's heading up the single player content for Gwent :)

We have a separate team of designers working on multiplayer content and game balance, who have a lot of experienced with both physical and digital competitive games. They are focused on game balance at the moment for the standard mode as we feel this is the most important thing to get right first :)

It's great to hear there is at least a chance for a draft mode. Hope dies last!

Mateusz from the panel doesn't work on the multiplayer side of the game, so isn't involved in the design of multiplayer features. He's our narrative designer and creates great stories, which is why he's heading up the single player content for Gwent :)

We have a separate team of designers working on multiplayer content and game balance, who have a lot of experienced with both physical and digital competitive games. They are focused on game balance at the moment for the standard mode as we feel this is the most important thing to get right first :)

Sounds great! There is no need to rush a draft mode. Just take your time :)

I'd love to see a draft mode where you simply get x troops, y characters and z heroes along with any specials you'd like and you get to build a deck with it. x,y and z need to be high enough so that it offers real choice and flexibility, while being low enough that you get different sets each time and can't just build standard competitive decks.

For me draft mode is very high priority - it keeps the game varied and interesting. I also love deckbuilding and draft really lets you do that in a very entertaining way.

I feel it'd be like this:

- A choice of 2 Decks? (maybe 3?)

- Card Draws.
- Special Cards: [Scorch / Horn / Epidemic] Pick 1 - for example and many other 3 combination Choices further on through the Drafting Process.
- Troop Cards: [ Blue Stripes / Dun Banner Light / Bun Banner Heavy] Pick 1 (Receive all x3 copies)
- Character [ 3Random Neutral or Class Characters] Pick 1
- Heroes [ 3 Random Neutral or Class Heroes] Pick 1.

Repeat more often Special cards / Troop Cards.

Possibly an opportunity to Pass on Special Card - Reducing Deck size but no guaranteeing you'll get what you hope for in the end.

Maybe, even, the Drafting should go for a max Deck Size and you can Pass on Troops, Character and Heroes aswell - say if you get a 3 way choice you hate. You reduce Deck Size but might not get what you hope for and when your at the minimum Deck Size Requirment, you can no longer Pass. (Maybe you should have taken those Dun Banners from early cause now all you got is Witcher 3 Poor Fucking Infantry style cards haha)

- Seems like Leader Cards should be picked Last. (So you can base it around the cards you get)

Gets me quite excited actually, could see quite odd Decks with high variety in my opinion.
You wont always have an amazing strategy but it just means you gotta work with what you get and really make Scorches, Weather and Horns Count

Last edited:
Assumptions on Arena (draft) mode

Dear All:

I'm a card game fan, and I feel very lucky to get the access to KTS. After a few hours playing, I find this game is really interesting and quite different from HearthStone. I understand developers now are busy working on the standard (constructed) and single player mode, but Arena (draft) mode is also indispensable to a card game. So I think I can expect it coming in the future.:gathering:

Here are my assumptions on the Arena mode. I'm not a game developer, but I hope my assumptions can make contributions (even a little) to the development of the game. As HS is so popular, I may use some terms from HS in order to make my expression more clear.

Part I:
1. Using Arena ticket: 150 gold (100 gold = one pack just like HS). The ticket can also be obtained by completing daily missions (if any).
2. Choosing your faction: There are two random factions players can choose from.
3. Drafting: Players start to choose one from two random cards with the same rarity. They repeat this until the deck has 25 cards. The first, 10th, 20th pick will always offer character or hero cards. It's like HS, but the difference is that each faction can use their own unique ability during drafting. The abilities are as follows:

• Pick Two: It means this faction can choose both cards in one pick. It is better to use this ability when the system provide two good cards in one pick. This ability can be used once in one draft.
  • Pass: It is opposite to the first ability. This faction can pass one pick by choosing no cards. It is better to use this ability when the system provide two weak cards in one pick. This ability can be used three times in one draft.
  • Three Options: After using this ability, the system will provide 3 cards to choose from in the next pick. Players can use it at the 9th and 19th picks. So they have more character or hero cards to choose from. This ability can be used three times in one draft.
  • Promote: This ability is passive. It indicates that the last pick (25th pick) must be character or hero card (just like the first, 10th, 20th pick).
4. Choosing leaders: Players can choose their leaders after drafting. All leaders in the faction are available.

Part II:
In Witchers 3, players' choice will decide the ending of missions. In Gwent, I suggest a similar system as shown in the figure. After drafting, players should evaluate their decks by themselves. It is a good deck or a moderate one? Then they will complete three missions in a row.
View attachment 75590
Each mission has three options to choose from: easy, moderate and hard. These three options indicate different requirement for wins. The easy one can be finished by making one win, three wins for moderate, and five wins for hard. In each mission, players can only lose one game. Otherwise, the arena is over and players will be rewarded according to the bonus points they obtain.

One win makes one bonus point. And if players finish all three missions successfully, they will get 3 more bonus points. So if you draft a powerful deck, it is better to always choose hard option in the three missions, and you will get 5+5+5+3=18 bonus points which means a lot of rewards like packs, gold, dust or even card backs. If you draft a weak deck, it is better to choose the easy option. By finishing the three missions through easy options, you will obtain 1+1+1+3=6 bonus points. All these are based on your "self-assessment”, and we should avoid underestimation or overestimation on the quality of decks.

That's all for my suggestions. I hope they can help. :)

PS; I know many people are asking for chat or emote. But please remember to add squelch option like HS. Because someone doesn't want to be interrupted when playing a game.

Thanks for reading and sorry for my poor English.:gathering:

Attachments

• Capture1111.JPG
    Capture1111.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
In Gwent you should always pick the leader first to build around him .. It's totally different to hero cards in HS and TESL

Anyone else interested in an Arena(Hearthstone)/Take Two(shadowverse) type mode?

I was thinking getting cards without paying kegs is hard and it also feels more like a chore. It would be cool if there was a mode similar to Arena in hearthstone or Take Two in shadowverse.
Also what are you guys thoughts on a monster hunting quest mode? you go up against specific npc decks relating to a monster. It also be u going up against a human as well so we can get the other classes involve.

ignisrex;n6892050 said:
I was thinking getting cards without paying kegs is hard and it also feels more like a chore. It would be cool if there was a mode similar to Arena in hearthstone or Take Two in shadowverse.
Also what are you guys thoughts on a monster hunting quest mode? you go up against specific npc decks relating to a monster. It also be u going up against a human as well so we can get the other classes involve.

ignisrex;n6892050 said:

For those of us that don't play hearthstone or shadowverse, could you explain a bit more about how those modes work and why you like them?

I'm not familiar with Shadowverse, but I'm familiar with the Arena mode in Hearthstone, and I don't see why it couldn't work here.

The short version: Instead of using your own card collection, you make a deck by selecting a class, and then going through a process of choosing cards from a semi-randomized selection - you're shown 3 cards, you pick one and discard the other two, and repeat until you have a complete deck. You don't get to keep the cards in that deck, they only exist for your Arena run. You then play against other players until you either lose three times, or accomplish 12 wins, and get a reward based on how many wins you got. The Arena mode has a cost to enter - $2 or 150 gold, I believe - and the "break-even" where you get back about 150 gold's worth of rewards is at 3 wins. Even if you lose three straight, though, you still get a pack of cards (valued at 100 gold).

Last edited:
Yes, please 'Arena' like mode, will be great addiction. Its great be able to mix play between 'Constructed' and 'Arena'.

Of course it should have entry 'fee', otherwise people would just start new 'run' immediately if they don't get great deck.

Last edited:
Nekojin;n6892310 said:
I'm not familiar with Shadowverse, but I'm familiar with the Arena mode in Hearthstone, and I don't see why it couldn't work here.

Pool card is too light.

Making the drafting auto pilot after 2 or 3 picks atm.

Cant wait for something like that in gwent,so we can earn rewards and have fun in "fair" and more random and fun gamemode,instead of grinding lvls.

Sorry if I resurrect this thread but I'm very interested in an "arena mode" in Gwent. It was by far my favourite mode on HS, even with all its shortcomings. Let's just hope they have it on schedule :)

yes arena mode has been promised by the devs and we will see it in the future but as someone mentioned here the amount of cards we have in game aren't enough right now, so introducing more cards seems to be the first step towards an exciting arena mode. and since this game is not based on classes but factions each faction needs a lot more cards and a lot of variety. also currently the game's mechanics aren't so much tuned towards draft mode, for example let say you pick skellige as your initial faction to then go into drafting, skellige has good amount of variety in it compared to other factions, like wounding, discard, queensguards, warcry, but queensguard archetype can't be played efficiently if you can't get all 3 queenguard cards in your draft. what is certain is there will be an arena mode just have to wait and see how it works out.

Yeah, an Arena draft mode would be cool. It would be nice to have something else to spend ore on if you have most of the cards you want already

Top Bottom