Eredin says 12 sentences during the whole game and.....

+
I played TW1, and I think that story in TW3 is on par with TW1. Yes, Eredin is better in TW1, but other than some issues with the story, especially at the end TW3 has better story (and especially compared to TW2, which IMO had worst story and atmosphere of all 3 games).

I played TW1, and I think that story in TW3 is on par with TW1. Yes, Eredin is better in TW1, but other than some issues with the story, especially at the end TW3 has better story (and especially compared to TW2, which IMO had worst story and atmosphere of all 3 games).

TW2 story is one of the best in the franchise.
It is mature, complex and unpredictable, with a wise use of the political subject.
And Letho can beat Eredin ass from a characterization standpoint.

Before that thread I never ever thought about this issue, and believe me I really love charismatic villain in movies, video games and books.
You're right encounters with Eredin could have been better but is it that much an issue? I mean even if they do 2 years of debugging and enhancement there will still be more important things to do than that IMO. Even if TW3 is the best game ever IMO there is other thing that are a total mess, the villain is just disapointing not a big deal.

Before that thread I never ever thought about this issue, and believe me I really love charismatic villain in movies, video games and books.
You're right encounters with Eredin could have been better but is it that much an issue? I mean even if they do 2 years of debugging and enhancement there will still be more important things to do than that IMO. Even if TW3 is the best game ever IMO there is other thing that are a total mess, the villain is just disapointing not a big deal.

The villain is part of a bigger problem which concerns the entire Act 3 and the White Frost issue.
In order to be worried about Ciri (which is the point of the plot) who want to kill her have to be more complex than "I'm just evil because...reasons".

But at least is a bigger issue than the lack of Triss scenes (that thread has reached 200 pages....)

The villain is part of a bigger problem which concerns the entire Act 3 and the White Frost issue.
In order to be worried about Ciri (which is the point of the plot) who want to kill her have to be more complex than "I'm just evil because...reasons".

But at least is a bigger issue than the lack of Triss scenes (that thread has reached 200 pages....)
Fuck Triss. Really hated that she was in the first 2 games and I was happy that I finally can get rid of her.

I agree that entire act 3 and epilogue do not make much sense if you consider the books, but outside of that it's not that bad.

Its simple. This story is from Geralt perspective, and believe or not, Eredin didnt felt the need to explain all his motivations to him. Its up to player to link the dots together... or would you rather have him start talking like every single bad villain is in all movies and games just before he is defeated by main protagonist?

Eredin's motivation would be clear to you if you read books, and played previous games carefully.

How many times to people have to tell you? You should not have to read the books or play the previous games to appreciate Witcher 3. Any time people try and excuse something by pointing to EXTERNAL material, you know that the product can't stand on its own two feet.

Some people point out that they don't understand how some dialogue and some characters can be great, while at the same time the main villain is crap. What often happens with projects like this is that different characters are written by different people, so maybe the dudes (dudets) that wrote Eridin and the hunt are just shit at their jobs?

If it was any other character I would agree, but this s Eredin Breac Glass, the main nemesis of Both Ciri and Geralt, to put it in Breaking Bad terms: He is the danger. There is no excuse, he should have had more work done to his parts in the game which I hope CDPR does eventually if they decide to.

God damn I spent so much time in the last few days being an Eredin fanboy, for good reason though.

Some people point out that they don't understand how some dialogue and some characters can be great, while at the same time the main villain is crap. What often happens with projects like this is that different characters are written by different people, so maybe the dudes (dudets) that wrote Eridin and the hunt are just shit at their jobs?

CDPR's writing team is not made out of idiots, they are made out of brilliant writers, but I guess they did not have enough time to flesh out the Wild Hunt that much.

Last edited:
so maybe the dudes (dudets) that wrote Eridin and the hunt are just shit at their jobs?

I don't know how they are used to work, but I don't think that such important character are under the control of some shitty writers which Mr. Iwinski met and hired under a bridge.
I want...I want to think that they had to rush all for the deadline of the project.

How many times to people have to tell you? You should not have to read the books or play the previous games to appreciate Witcher 3. Any time people try and excuse something by pointing to EXTERNAL material, you know that the product can't stand on its own two feet.

appreciate? obviously, you don't appreciate it anyway... but knowledge of books explains a lot, you just dont like (dont understand) the story, but thats your problem. This is Witcher game, Geralt story, based on books. therefore books play important part in it. believe it or not.

appreciate? obviously, you don't appreciate it anyway... but knowledge of books explains a lot, you just dont like (dont understand) the story, but thats your problem. This is Witcher game, Geralt story, based on books. therefore books play important part in it. believe it or not.

What do you not understand? It doesn't matter what the book explains or does not explain. The game is standalone and no one should be forced to rely EXTERNAL material for the story to shine. That's like excusing a Lord of the Rings movie, that only covers the epilogue, then saying "well it all makes sense if you read the books! So therefore this is an excellent film!"

Also, believing that the story is under-appreciated because people are too stupid to understand it, is not a convincing argument on your part.

Its simple. This story is from Geralt perspective, and believe or not, Eredin didnt felt the need to explain all his motivations to him. Its up to player to link the dots together... or would you rather have him start talking like every single bad villain is in all movies and games just before he is defeated by main protagonist?

Eredin's motivation would be clear to you if you read books, and played previous games carefully.

Like many people who told you already, that should not be an excuse, I personally read the books and know Eredin's plans, but that is no excuse, one example to use outside the Witcher series is someone like Loghain in the Dragon Age series, his portrayal in the game did not speak of his intentions or plans or his real self like he was presented in a book that was focused on his backstory, but because he wasn't portrayed that well in the game he was a generic villain, simple as that, there is no excuse.

If it was any other character I would agree, but this s Eredin Breac Glass, the main nemesis of Both Ciri and Geralt, to put it in Breaking Bad terms: He is the danger. There is no excuse, he should have had more work done to his parts in the game which I hope CDPR does eventually if they decide to.

God damn I spent so much time in the last few days being an Eredin fanboy, for good reason though.

CDPR's writing team is not made out of idiots, they are made out of brilliant writers, but I guess they did not have enough time to flesh out the Wild Hunt that much.

not much to "flesh out... Eredin's intentions were set up in books quite well. He wanted to kill Ciri to prevent her offspring to destroy his world. He knew her child will be even more powerful than her, he didnt believed in Avalach's experiments, or attempts to force her to have a child with their former king. So, once he got rid of him he tried to kill her, and when she escaped, he just continued the chase. after all he was commander of Red Riders, he had all military power, nobody could challenge him..

The game spend too much focus on Skyrimasation, Consolisation and Casualisation(i do not mean this negatively. More like a good introduction for new players who are not familiar with the Witcher universe). Yet it's still one of the best RPGs ever crafted. Having said that, The Witcher 2 was a 2 step forward, 1 step back from the original Witcher. The Witcher 3 was 10 steps forward, and 5 steps back from The Witcher 2. But these steps were important ones. The narrative aspect, while still of very quality took a big hit.

Now to the topic, i was also very dissapointed with the general portrayal of the Wild Hunt and Eredin. The elves of Tir Na Lia, are arrogant and self centered yes, but they are also sophisticated creatures. Eredin is doing what he does for the good of his people. His definetely not worse than Emhyr or Radovid. If anything he is better. However they are depicted as stupid brainless evil creatures. They feel more like Lord of The Rings Orks, rather than the intelligent elder race that the books present us.
Also the resolution in the end should not have been a stupid swordfight between Geralt and Eredin, but rather something else. Besides people forget oftenly that Eredin, while a good Elven warrior, he was just that. He was never the supreme swordfighter. Ciri beat him in a swordfight when she was like 15, before even her powers were developed. She had much harder time against Bonhart. Considerng this, of course Geralt in a 1vs1 swordfight would rape Eredin with ease. That's why i would prefer another device plot that would lead to a resolution. And of course that would include presenting the motives of Wild Hunt, and not depicting them as Catroonish Villains taken out from a Steven Seagull movie, but doing justice to them.

Like many people who told you already, that should not be an excuse, I personally read the books and know Eredin's plans, but that is no excuse, one example to use outside the Witcher series is someone like Loghain in the Dragon Age series, his portrayal in the game did not speak of his intentions or plans or his real self like he was presented in a book that was focused on his backstory, but because he wasn't portrayed that well in the game he was a generic villain, simple as that, there is no excuse.

you cannot compare Dragon age book with Witcher books... lol, books were written long before there was any plan for a PC game... W3 had to be true to the original book, they couldnt make Eredin something he was not... his intentions set in book were kept in all games - to wipe all elder blood humans, so there is no chance humans could get through the portal and attack them.

But that is exactly the point. The problem of TW3 is that pretend to stand on its own feet.
What define us as a person? Our memories, and our past.
But there is no internal memory in TW3 of the first 2 games.

The entire Alvin issue is related to just a letter. Alvin is the anti-Ciri, a child of the Elder Blood which gone crazy because of the lack of proper magic training.
Alvin is basically what would have been Ciri without the Yennefer training.
But there is no memory of him. It could have been led to an interesting regret of Geralt about him, on in some discussion about him between Geralt and Ciri, or Geralt and Triss, or Geralt and Eredin. But he is just forgotten.
Or...why Eredin pursued Geralt in the outskirts or in the Alvin's final illusion? No mention to that.

What do you not understand? It doesn't matter what the book explains or does not explain. The game is standalone and no one should be forced to rely EXTERNAL material for the story to shine. That's like excusing a Lord of the Rings movie, that only covers the epilogue, then saying "well it all makes sense if you read the books! So therefore this is an excellent film!"

Also, believing that the story is under-appreciated because people are too stupid to understand it, is not a convincing argument on your part.

Difference is, you can find all these things in W3 game directly, if you payed attention which you obviously didnt,...

Biggest problem with the TW3 narrative is that CDPR felt the need to try to tie up the big loose end from the books, even though it seems that even the author of the saga really had no idea or desire of how to resolve that.

Top Bottom