Eredin says 12 sentences during the whole game and.....

+
you cannot compare Dragon age book with Witcher books... lol, books were written long before there was any plan for a PC game... W3 had to be true to the original book, they couldnt make Eredin something he was not... his intentions set in book were kept in all games - to wipe all elder blood humans, so there is no chance humans could get through the portal and attack them.

I can, because the same rule applies, whether the books were written back in the 90's or not the same rule applies, having a good backstory in something that is not in the game itself should not be an excuse at all, from the perspective of a player that only played the Witcher 3 game, would he/she know of Eredin's character and plans and would he/she consider Eredin and interesting character like he was in the books? No, simple as that, which is disappointing seeing that I am an Eredin fanboy :p

not much to "flesh out... Eredin's intentions were set up in books quite well. He wanted to kill Ciri to prevent her offspring to destroy his world. He knew her child will be even more powerful than her, he didnt believed in Avalach's experiments, or attempts to force her to have a child with their former king. So, once he got rid of him he tried to kill her, and when she escaped, he just continued the chase. after all he was commander of Red Riders, he had all military power, nobody could challenge him..

Yes, he had all the power and might he wanted, we hear of his intentions from Ciri and Avallac'h in the game, but that was not enough for his character development at all, he needed a lot more presence in the game, whether by having him send visions to Geralt to torment him or just adding more to his final scene in the game.

Yes, he had all the power and might he wanted, we hear of his intentions from Ciri and Avallac'h in the game, but that was not enough for his character development at all, he needed a lot more presence in the game, whether by having him send visions to Geralt to torment him or just adding more to his final scene in the game.

More "dream scenes" like this.

I mean...if I compare this Eredin to his TW3 version...is night and day.

In the VGX, Sword of Destiny and Elder Blood trailer he was talking more, but most of those lines are removed from the final game i didn't hear them. Correct me if i'm wrong but only thing i remember from them in the final game is "Witcher i was hoping you'd come". Where'd all the other lines go which were making sense about his actions?

In the VGX, Sword of Destiny and Elder Blood trailer he was talking more, but most of those lines are removed from the final game i didn't hear them. Correct me if i'm wrong but only thing i remember from them in the final game is "Witcher i was hoping you'd come". Where'd all the other lines go which were making sense about his actions?

Yes, I noticed that.

"I come for her, of the prophecy."

Or this.

[video=youtube;kbXvl7-XlaY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbXvl7-XlaY[/video]

"We've been here before...etc..."

Or the dialogues between Geralt and this randome peasant in this trailer, which I know for sure it was in a playable demo back in 2013, probably set in Skellige.

People keep making excuses for poor writing because it is CDPR, saying they ran out of time or were rushed to meet deadlines. The game was postponed twice, and had over 3 years of development, claiming that they were rushed is a shit excuse for poor writing.

People keep making excuses for poor writing because it is CDPR, saying they ran out of time or were rushed to meet deadlines. The game was postponed twice, and had over 3 years of development, claiming that they were rushed is a shit excuse for poor writing.

Well you have to put into perspective that this huge game was only made by a team of 200 developers with half the funding of a normal AAA game and ten times the complexity at least, so yes, for once, there is somewhat of an excuse, but I agree, even though what they have achieved is one of the most impossible games to make, people should highlight the faults as well, but time constraints is a thing, sadly.

Corypheus I had fun fighting. He was a great enemy for my Andrastian Inquisitor of Faith.

Cory was a joke and a reused DLC villian, he got owned by the Inquisitor at every mission he was no threat after Haven
Eredin is not much better though

The villain is part of a bigger problem which concerns the entire Act 3 and the White Frost issue.
In order to be worried about Ciri (which is the point of the plot) who want to kill her have to be more complex than "I'm just evil because...reasons".

But at least is a bigger issue than the lack of Triss scenes (that thread has reached 200 pages....)

Sorry but I don't share you're point of view, you don't give a sh*t of Triss and whant more or better of Eredin? I respect that but you can't say it's a bigger Issue:

Eredin content is 'just" poorly done, nothing to catch interest but it work good enough (as I said Ididn't even get this issue before reading this thread)
Triss (and not only Triss, the whole romance choice thing saddly) IS BROKEN, there is already more than 200 pages about it so I'm not going to argue about it but what If on the last fight with Eredin you should go through a dialogue before the fight and you get only "Well?" from him and nothing happen?
And what if after killing him EVERYBODY act like nothing happen and still worrying about the Wild Hunt Threat?
And I can go like this for long because there is lot of bugs or missing dialog and not only for Triss but there is nothing like that regarding Eredin.

So yeah for me Eredin shouldn't be a focus for the futur hypothetical improvements of the game as it doesn't ruin the experience as much as other issue.

Sorry but I don't share you're point of view, you don't give a sh*t of Triss and whant more or better of Eredin? I respect that but you can't say it's a bigger Issue:

Eredin content is 'just" poorly done, nothing to catch interest but it work good enough (as I said Ididn't even get this issue before reading this thread)
Triss (and not only Triss, the whole romance choice thing saddly) IS BROKEN, there is already more than 200 pages about it so I'm not going to argue about it but what If on the last fight with Eredin you should go through a dialogue before the fight and you get only "Well?" from him and nothing happen?
And what if after killing him EVERYBODY act like nothing happen and still worrying about the Wild Hunt Threat?
And I can go like this for long because there is lot of bugs or missing dialog and not only for Triss but there is nothing like that regarding Eredin.

So yeah for me Eredin shouldn't be a focus for the futur hypothetical improvements of the game as it doesn't ruin the experience as much as other issue.

I'm not saying that Triss is not an issue.
I'm just saying that a secondary character is not as important as the main villain. The villain who pursued your daughter and it is the pillar of the entire plot.

Its simple. This story is from Geralt perspective, and believe or not, Eredin didnt felt the need to explain all his motivations to him. Its up to player to link the dots together... or would you rather have him start talking like every single bad villain is in all movies and games just before he is defeated by main protagonist?

Eredin's motivation would be clear to you if you read books, and played previous games carefully.

I would like him to have a personality and characterization without having to headcanon the books. I know the books very well and know his motives, but it's CDP's job to make them clear in the game.
I know that a conversation like with Letho or de Aldersberg right before we kill him wouldn't work, but there are other ways.
Like people have mentioned, Eredin could have haunted Geralt in his dreams. They used this tool once at the beginning of the game and could have used it again to provide the needed interaction between him and Geralt.

Ciri/Eredin would have been even much easier. A playable flashback of the Tir na Lia events from Lady of the Lake. This would have solved most of the problems with Eredin, the Wild Hunt and Aen Elle.
CDP would just need to add:
- a conversation between Avallac'h and Ciri, in which Avallac'h is trying to convince her to make a child with the Aen Elle king.
They could explain the relation between him and Ciri, his relationship with Lara Dorren and how Ciri is a descendant and got her elder blood gene from her, what excatly going on with the white frost and why he helps her.

- a conversation between Eredin and Ciri in which Eredin tries to convince Ciri to poison the king They could explain the relation between Eredin and Ciri and why he haunts her in the game . A short conversation would have added a lot to to currently non-existent characterization of Eredin.

- a conversation between Eredin and Avallac'h showing us that they want the same (survival of the Aen Elle) but have different approaches in what way to accomplish that.

- Ciri trying to escape our of Tir Na Lia. While doing this she would find human slaves and graves. We know from Witcher 2 that the Wild Hunt abducts human children to use them as servants/slaves but this didn't play any role in Witcher 3. This would have been an easy way to implement this.

- while spending time in the Aen Elle world they could give us an in depth look on the Aen Elle (their world. history, motivations etc) and the threat of the White Frost for their world. This would help us to understand why they are chasing Ciri.

This playable flashback would solve most of the problems with the non-existent characterization of the Wild Hunt, Aen Elle and Eredin and I think it wouldn't be that difficult to implement it afterwards, because it's pretty seperated from the rest of the game. (playing as Ciri in a seperated area)

Furthermore interaction between Eredin and Ciri/Geralt is not the only way to improve Eredin's character, but he has to have some interaction with anybody. Let him speak with his generals, or Gheel's or Avallac'h. I don't care, but let him speak with somebody.Otherwise we get what we have now. 12 sentences and less than 5 minutes screentime during 40-50 hours of story.

On a side note. I remember reading a german interview with someone from CDP last year and they talked about cut content. They mentioned two examples. One was the ice-skating with Ciri, the other one was a mission in which Geralt infiltrates the Wild Hunt. I bet this should have served as a opportunity to give them a deeper characterization. I don't know why it was cut, bit if they cut something like this they have to give us a replacement. Unfortunately they didn't and now we have a bland and shallow antagonist.

Last edited:
Like moonknight said, Eredin is far more important story-wise and lore-wise than Triss is, even Yennefer.
Wild Hunt is in the title of the game, ffs...
Simple peasants from White Orchard have more personality than Eredin Breacc Glas, King of Wild Hunt, leader of Dearg Ruadhri, charismatic Aen Elle from Tir na Lia, handsome Elf Cirilla almost fell in love with, he has been following Geralt through entire Witcher 1...Damn. :D

Wild Hunt is in the title of the game, ffs...
Simple peasants from White Orchard have more personality than Eredin Breacc Glas, King of Wild Hunt, leader of Dearg Ruadhri, charismatic Aen Elle from Tir na Lia, handsome Elf Cirilla almost fell in love with, he has been following Geralt through entire Witcher 1...Damn. :D

And the same treatment was reserved to Priscilla and Margarita.
It's all so...rushed.

I remain unconvinced that Eredin is the villain. The Wild Hunt is big and scary, but not much more than a MacGuffin. If you read the books, then maybe it's a bigger deal, but if you read the books, then you know more about him. I guess I kind of understand why some people are disappointing with this or that aspect of the narrative, but to me that stuff wasn't that important to the story.

I remain unconvinced that Eredin is the villain. The Wild Hunt is big and scary, but not much more than a MacGuffin. If you read the books, then maybe it's a bigger deal, but if you read the books, then you know more about him. I guess I kind of understand why some people are disappointing with this or that aspect of the narrative, but to me that stuff wasn't that important to the story.
Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt

And the same treatment was reserved to Priscilla and Margarita.
It's all so...rushed.
Only 3 years of game development and it's one of the biggest games I've ever played, while one of the most polished games of such scale (yes, there a lot of bugs, but much less than in other games of such size). In Witcher 2 act 3 looked also rushed, but improved greatly in EE (except for stupid ending music change, but I'll try to change it myself later). If you haven't played original W2 - there were no quests with Cynthia in A3 on Iorveth path, no explanation why one of the Foltest kids is captured and other is dead on Roche side. Actually entire A3 was like 10 minute long, not counting mini-game quests (go to the city, talk to NPC, then either do Roche/Iorveth quest or go to Triss, talk to NPC - end of A3). Also in the epilogue city looked like nothing changed with your actions. They even changed how the city looks in EE - it has much more details.
Compare for example Dragon fight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brO4I2TCw70 (original)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJDF6dujKuk (EE)

Last edited:
Only 3 years of game development and it's one of the biggest games I've ever played, while one of the most polished games of such scale (yes, there a lot of bugs, but much less than in other games of such size). In Witcher 2 act 3 looked also rushed, but improved greatly in EE (except for stupid ending music change, but I'll try to change it myself later). If you haven't played original W2 - there were no quests with Cynthia in A3 on Iorveth path, no explanation why one of the Foltest kids is captured and other is dead on Roche side. Actually entire A3 was like 10 minute long, not counting mini-game quests (go to the city, talk to NPC, then either do Roche/Iorveth quest or go to Triss, talk to NPC - end of A3). Also in the epilogue city looked like nothing changed with your actions. They even changed how the city looks in EE - it has much more details.
Compare for example Dragon fight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brO4I2TCw70 (original)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJDF6dujKuk (EE)

And now the same error has been repeated.
Or better...
I know that in TW2 they run out of time and money (it was supposed to be and Act IV in Dol Blathanna), but in TW3 seems that they encountered the same problem.
So...it would have been better to cut some side quest (which, at a certain point of the main quest became pointless) and put more effort into the main quest and the characterization of main and side characters.

And now the same error has been repeated.
Or better...
I know that in TW2 they run out of time and money (it was supposed to be and Act IV in Dol Blathanna), but in TW3 seems that they encountered the same problem.
So...it would have been better to cut some side quest (which, at a certain point of the main quest became pointless) and put more effort into the main quest and the characterization of main and side characters.
Do you have any sources that suggest Witcher 2 was planned to have a fourth act?

Like moonknight said, Eredin is far more important story-wise and lore-wise than Triss is, even Yennefer.

Ahem, I partialy disagree. He might be more important story-wise for Witcher 3 solely, but lore-wise Yennefer is perhaps 100% more important than him, no matter if you look at the whole saga or just Witcher 3. Just my two cents...

Top Bottom