Eredin says 12 sentences during the whole game and.....

+
Claims of legitimate criticism that are on their face abusive, such as "criminal lack of characterization", are not legitimate criticism at all. They only serve to show that such criticism is disrespectful and may safely be ignored. If you want your criticisms to be taken seriously, do not make them in such a bitter, badgering tone.

Moderator direction to keep criticism respectful, humane, and constructive should not result in dispute but result in other posters reviewing their criticisms more carefully to make them more constructive and less abusive.

True communication occurs only in an atmosphere of mutual respect, not one of self-proclaimed superiority and entitlement.
We're criticizing a story, any sort of practical criticism is legitimate.
Perhaps not respectful towards CDPR personal and they may ignore our comments, but nor did we expect they'll relate to it as is now, did we?

Now, as for the 'entitlement' well, we were promised a game with a great story and conclusion to the series and got neither, I think it's rather legitimate for us to complain about it

No, not any sort of criticism is legitimate. When you cross the line between criticizing a story and denigrating the authors, you make your criticism not only loathsome but easily dismissed as without meaningful content. Stick to that which you profess to write.

No, being the purchaser of a game does NOT make you entitled or give you any cause to think you are. Lose that attitude if you plan to continue to post here.

---------- Updated at 04:47 PM ----------

Reminder: Disputes over forum moderation are to be conducted by PM and not in public. Post deleted for that reason.

With that, let's return to discussion of Eredin's dialogue and the Hunt's story, please, rather than a meta-discussion of criticism, and the editing process. Although I accept partial responsibility for leading this conversation off-topic, I think it is time to bring it back. If, however, there are no new comments of constructive value left to add, nor proposals as to how the story can be improved, but instead only complaints and frustration, this thread may be headed for closure.

While I realise people want CD Projekt RED to know we feel the Hunt was poorly portrayed, repeating this over and over again, in rather disparaging phrasing, becomes very tedious and redundant. The point has been made. I feel the REDs are aware of it now. There are 55 pages of posts here, and the Hunt has been soundly criticised elsewhere as well. If the Team wants to redress the matter, they've sufficient feedback by which to judge any improvements they may wish to make.

Please, weigh words carefully before posting next.
Thank you.

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I have been out of the loop and missed a lot, but this a topic I've always been passionate about.

From what I've read of this enlightening thread, it still very much confuses me that their reasons for not including Eredin and more Wild Hunt content was technical. I mean, I'm not a developer but I can't quite seem to grasp this concept when they're not being limited from creating expansion packs and extra content to add to this game. If they can add in this much content, post-launch and it hasn't broken the game, why can't they do the same with Eredin and his merry band of misfits?

Has the voice actor gone on strike and asked for a raise they can't afford? Perhaps the author himself has strictly forbidden them from developing the characters any further? Any of these reasons would've made a lot more sense than "the quest no longer fit the story we are trying to tell" or "technical limitations".

Last edited:
There's no reason given, but I'm pretty sure it's neither of...
Has the voice actor gone on strike and asked for a raise they can't afford? Perhaps the author himself has strictly forbidden them from developing the characters any further?

Maybe they CHOSE not to?

Those who were posting in this thread wanted more Eredin. The people posting in the Blood and Wine thread want Blood and Wine to come out soon. The Iorveth and Saskia thread posters would love Iorveth to be brought back, and the Triss/Yen threads would like to see more Triss/Yen content, and then there are the threads asking for a third expansion and so on...

CDPR need to balance ALL of these requests. And, at the end of the day, this is THEIR vision, THEIR design. THEIR choice. There's really nothing to be gained by inventing strange and tortuous reasons.

Last edited:
Those who were posting in this thread wanted more Eredin. The people posting in the Blood and Wine thread want Blood and Wine to come out soon. The Iorveth and Saskia thread posters would love Iorveth to be brought back, and the Triss/Yen threads would like to see more Triss/Yen content, and then there are the threads asking for a third expansion and so on...
Which means we need Bloredin, Iorskia, Trinneffer and Wine and Stone. . . and all of them soon.

CDPR need to balance ALL of these requests. And, at the end of the day, this is THEIR vision, THEIR design. THEIR choice. There's really nothing to be gained by inventing strange and tortuous reasons.

Yes, but as been extensively covered in this thread, this isn't just a minor oversight. Eredin is the primary instigator of events that allow there to be a story at all in Witcher 3's main campaign, one could argue he is just as important a character as Ciri or Geralt himself. Why would you put 'Wild Hunt' in your game title and play up the character in trailers as someone important and then proceed to reduce his presence in the game to be some background character?

Nobody is disputing this is their vision, at this stage I'm just asking them to properly explain their vision. It is just a very confusing vision with strange logic and if they can't fix the problem all we really want is a satisfactory answer as to why for closure. The only official response for this seems to be that the story changed and so Eredin and Wild Hunt backgrounds needed to go? How does that make any sense if they are all still in this game and play important roles in the story?

Last edited:
Yes, but as been extensively covered in this thread, this isn't just a minor oversight. Eredin is the primary instigator of events that allow there to be a story at all in Witcher 3's main campaign, one could argue he is just as important a character as Ciri or Geralt himself. Why would you put 'Wild Hunt' in your game title and play up the character in trailers as someone important and then proceed to reduce his presence in the game to be some background character?

Nobody is disputing this is their vision, at this stage I'm just asking them to properly explain their vision. It is just a very confusing vision with strange logic and if they can't fix the problem all we really want is a satisfactory answer to why for closure. The only official response for this seems to be that the story changed and so Eredin and Wild Hunt backgrounds needed to go? How does that make any sense if they are all still in this game and play important roles in the story?

It doesn't make much sense but i guess you won't know how far you'd have to go to make stuff fit unless you have to (am talking about the big info leak in 2013 - 2014 which i think was a catalyst for story changes etc.). Anyway, if you've read through this thread - and a whole lot of others, reddit for example has some as well - then you can see that a lot of people brought this up but it hasn't been addressed and, at this point in time, I don't think it will ever be unless they somehow shove some flashbacks in BaW to fill in some of the things related to Geralt's memory (wouldn't put my hopes up though). Just take it for what it is and wait for RedKit :)

unless they somehow shove some flashbacks in BaW to fill in some of the things related to Geralt's memory (wouldn't put my hopes up though).

That's exactly what I was going to suggest in the B&W thread. But in light of all this new information, it seems the devs are actually determined not to include any more Eredin/Wild Hunt content. Absolutely bizarre.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest in the B&W thread. But in light of all this new information, it seems the devs are actually determined not to including any more Eredin/Wild Hunt content. Absolutely bizarre.

I think they're too few of them now on the Witcher boat to actually do anything about it - most of the CDPR staff are pretty much on the Cyberpunk train by now. They did address this albeit indirectly (I've posted a link to one of the RED's answers about this here thread somewhere midway through these talks) and I do think they are now aware that the Wild Hunt should & could have been handled a bit better (take for example all their statements about Gaunter O'Dimm and what they wanted to achieve through his character) but it's way past the point of doing anything about it now. We'll have to wait & see buddy.

You'll have to wait quite a bit then. RedKit isn't coming out. :p

I know they said they had no plans to release anything else at the time modKit came out & people asked for more but things might change after BaW comes out. I guess we'll all find out sooner or later.

The Iorveth and Saskia thread posters would love Iorveth to be brought back, and the Triss/Yen threads would like to see more Triss/Yen content, and then there are the threads asking for a third expansion and so on...

Dont forget the succubus... :teeth:

Joking aside, if i had to choose between additional romance content or further Wild Hunt improvements, i would choose the second option, without thinking and without doupts .

A few more sentences here and there, maybe one or two flashbacks and viola. I know, not soooo easy, just saying ;)

Perhaps they will add nothing, other than maybe a couple more small free DLC quests not related to the main story and characters. This approach would be fair to everyone, non-controversial, and cost effective. :p It would be an understandable decision to focus on CP2077 after Blood and Wine is released.

I don't have time to go through this whole thread. but could they not have added the the cut "Wild Hunt Infiltration" quest to the Cave of Dreams. Instead of Geralt's fear being Eredin himself, make it so that Geralt fears riding for the Hunt again, aboard the Naglfar. Remove the other two characters that accompany him to the Cave, and make a dream-like sequence where Geralt is a member of the Hunt. This gives the writers an opportunity to further explain Eredin's - and the Hunts' - ambitions. This quest could subvert the whole protection of Ciri thing that the rest of the game has going on, by ending with the Hunt finding Ciri on Skellige, similar to the actual plot, and then a fight breaks out between Geralt and Ciri.

I think this would be much smarter. No cheesy fight with Eredin in the cave, as well as some opportunity to express his views about Ciri.

This could also lead into a discussion with Yen about Geralt's lost memory, solving that inconsistency too.

I don't have time to go through this whole thread. but could they not have added the the cut "Wild Hunt Infiltration" quest to the Cave of Dreams.

Is that the deleted q211_canaris main quest ? It might have been too difficult to build that into a lower level secondary quest, as it would originally have been an integral part of the story in the third act (which has been changed since the 2013 version), and The Cave of Dreams can be played before characters like Avallac'h and Caranthir are introduced.

This could also lead into a discussion with Yen about Geralt's lost memory, solving that inconsistency too.

There is already a conversation related to that in Yennefer's default dialogue. Perhaps it could have been more detailed, but when it comes to exposition of past events, the game tends to provide only the minimum amount of information that is needed. And both of them say they only have some vague memories of what happened while they were with the Wild Hunt.

I wonder if the cut content about The Spiral (see here, the red parts of q311) would have revealed more of what happened between the books and the first game ? From the bits like "Novigrad destroyed by nature" and "spell effect of two sorceresses in Rivia", it looks like something that could have allowed the player to see flashbacks of the past and also the potential future.

Is that the deleted q211_canaris main quest ? It might have been too difficult to build that into a lower level secondary quest, as it would originally have been an integral part of the story in the third act (which has been changed since the 2013 version), and The Cave of Dreams can be played before characters like Avallac'h and Caranthir are introduced.

There is already a conversation related to that in Yennefer's default dialogue. Perhaps it could have been more detailed, but when it comes to exposition of past events, the game tends to provide only the minimum amount of information that is needed. And both of them say they only have some vague memories of what happened while they were with the Wild Hunt.

I wonder if the cut content about The Spiral (see here, the red parts of q311) would have revealed more of what happened between the books and the first game ? From the bits like "Novigrad destroyed by nature" and "spell effect of two sorceresses in Rivia", it looks like something that could have allowed the player to see flashbacks of the past and also the potential future.

Nope, I'm talking about a cut quest that was mentioned in a PAX AU talk. I think Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz hosted it. Geralt would have infiltrated the Wild Hunt with some magic spell by pretending to be a Hunt soldier. There was going to be a mechanic that if Geralt acted too suspiciously, they would figure it out and then the quest would fail. This quest would have given backstory about the Hunt and Eredin.

Yeah, I know that dialogue with Yen is in the game, but it's still not explained why Geralt doesn't have his full memory back. He's still missing pieces. According to this video, he's meant to have to have it back completely.

That Spiral content is very definitely interesting, but perhaps not entirely on topic for this thread. :p I would have liked to have seen those parts though.

Last edited:
Nope, I'm talking about a cut quest that was mentioned in a PAX AU talk. I think Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz hosted it. Geralt would have infiltrated the Wild Hunt with some magic spell by pretending to be a Hunt soldier.

That might be something that was cut early, then, or is it possible to find it in the leak ? I thought q211 could have been it based on some of the comments in the alpha bugs document, but it seems that is a different quest after all.

Yeah, I know that dialogue with Yen is in the game, but it's still not explained why Geralt doesn't have his full memory back. He's still missing pieces. According to this video, he's meant to have to have it back completely.

Although that interview is from early 2013, maybe it was changed since then, and Geralt only has full memory of the events from the books.

Top Bottom