Eredin says 12 sentences during the whole game and.....

+
Though I was not that irritated with all these, all of the criticism above are well put. I guess I filled the lacking parts in my head by somehow adding in bits and pieces with what I remembered from the books.

So, I just finished my Witcher 2 replay, and rewatched some of the old W3 trailers. Man, imagine what could have been. :(

"He was different from all other elves. There was no shame in his gaze. He had never suffered persecution. he had endured no massacres, humans had not taken his land. This elf was not of this world."

[video=youtube;KsdIaG66r-M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsdIaG66r-M[/video]

We have been here before. We watch your petty world slumbering. You cannot defy the cold from our steel, you can only... surrender.

White Wolf... at last. I come for her, of for the prophecy. Every decision you make will bring devastation. Each choice will lead to a greater evil. -> Great Witcher 1 throwback there.

Eredin almost has more dialogue in the trailers than he does in-game. :p

This one also mentions 4 Wild Hunt commanders. I believe that was from when Ge'els was going to be one. Here's some other concepts.

Last edited:
It's truly bizarre. They built him up for three games over what...8 years? Not trying to rub it in, but I will never understand what went wrong here. How do you mess up a villain you've known about for that long?

It's truly bizarre. They built him up for three games over what...8 years? Not trying to rub it in, but I will never understand what went wrong here. How do you mess up a villain you've known about for that long?

In the first game he was not really a villain, now that the Wild Hunt had to be the main antagonists and there is no mystery around them, the writers just might not have had any really good ideas. But it does not look like the Wild Hunt was a particularly high priority in the development, either.

In the first game he was not really a villain, now that the Wild Hunt had to be the main antagonists and there is no mystery around them, the writers just might not have had any really good ideas. But it does not look like the Wild Hunt was a particularly high priority in the development, either.

I disagree with this. I think they had a bunch of reall cool ideas, but most got cut. I think the Hunt's role was originally much more important as seen in this video.. Speculating, but I think when the main plot was changed from hunting the Hunt, to tracking Ciri, that's when a lot of the problems occurred.

Geralt: You Bjorn of Dalvik?
Bjorn: Dalvik... is no more.
Geralt: I gotta hear what happened there.
Bjorn: What's it to you? Go! Be on your way,
Geralt: I was following the Wild Hunt, but lost its trail. I was hoping you could help.
Bjorn: Another come to hear the madman's tale? Well, you're out of luck.
Geralt: No one believes your story, right? Took you in like good hosts should, but they don't trust you.
Geralt: Well, that's not me. I might believe you. I've faced the Hunt, got a score to settle with them.
Bjorn: You know nothing. You didn't see what I saw.
Geralt: If you don't want to talk, don't. I just need to know which way the Hunt went.
Bjorn: I saw a long ship, made of the claws of dead men. The wraiths drove everyone to the shore, my daughter too.
Geralt: Naglfar! Which direction did it go? This is important.
Bjorn: East. They flew off towards Hindarsfjall.
Geralt: Thanks for your help.
Bjorn: Tell me, why do you seek them? No man who meets the Hunt, returns to this world.
Geralt: I returned.

They also said, in the 2013 interview with Game Informer, that the Hunt would not be another ancient evil, but that they would have had clear motivations and goals. Geralt would also constantly feel their presence lingering over him. Again, I think that was the orignal plan.

Man, I would kill to read these earlier scripts. The dialogue is fantastic.

Last edited:
Speculating, but I think when the main plot was changed from hunting the Hunt, to tracking Ciri, that's when a lot of the problems occurred.

They also said, in the 2013 interview with Game Informer, that the Hunt would not be another ancient evil, but that they would have had clear motivations and goals. Geralt would also constantly feel their presence lingering over him. Again, I think that was the orignal plan.

Man, I would kill to read these earlier scripts. The dialogue is fantastic.

Yeah, the early idea for the plot was way better IMO. So much cut content... It's sad. :cirisad:
Well, the same thing happened to Witcher 2, with this defference that we know a lot what was removed/changed.

But I'm curious about original concept of Burning Village. I know it was supposed to be on Skellige and looks like we could interrupt what Wild Hunt was doing there (according to trailers, screenshots and concept art). Do we know something more?

I disagree with this. I think they had a bunch of reall cool ideas, but most got cut.

That is true, although the fact that most of the ideas ended up being cut (even early in the development when time and resources were not a problem yet) in some sense agrees with my previous statement about a lack of really good ideas. That is, assuming that they were cut because they did not work well enough in practice, rather than the Wild Hunt being made a low priority.

They also said, in the 2013 interview with Game Informer, that the Hunt would not be another ancient evil, but that they would have had clear motivations and goals.

They do have clear motivations and goals in the game, but these were made fairly simple, and do not leave much room for making them interesting characters from Geralt's or Ciri's point of view. Thus, even a relatively small amount of screen time was enough to explain what they want, and there is not much reason for them to interact (other than by attacking) with the player's character. In the previous games, the antagonists were more "grey" characters (even temporarily allies at some points), and that allowed for making them more complex and interact more with the protagonist.

@sv3672

I think there's more to this story, then just cut content or unrealsitic ideals. Going from that video, they seemed to have a pretty good idea about where the plot was going.

Here's some more dialogue with Crach about the Hunt. I think this is why he shows up at the end of the game, to fight them.

The entire scene with Dalvik was moved to Velen, and I don't think it's as effective there.

Crach: Greetings, White Wolf. You took your sweet time coming.
Geralt: I was hunting a forktail. Udalryk paid good coin for its head.
Crach: Udalryk!? Hahaha. That tight-fisted bastard. Probably haggled like a fishmongers wife, but we'll not talk in the stables. Come! I shall tell you why I summoned you.
Crach: You've no doubt heard about Dalvik? Whole village burned to ashes, its inhabitants gone.
Geralt: Another border skirmish with Madman Lugos?
Crach: Nay! The sole survivor claims it was wraiths. The Wild Hunt, on a raid.
Geralt: Where's this survivor now?
Crach: His name's Bjorn. Lost his child in Dalvik. Now he lives with his brother, in Farylund.
Geralt: I'll talk to him. Could be over the shock by now.
Crach: Foul times are upon us. Always took the Wild Hunt for a dark vision, a nightmare that fades with the rising son.
Geralt: Gotta go to Farylund. If the Hunt's been there, I might find something that'll get me back on its trail
Crach: I was hoping you'd stay for the evening feast. As the years go by, I have fewer and fewer mates who'll join me for a drink, and a few old war stories.
Geralt: Another time, Crach. Need to talk to Bjorn as soon as possible.
Crach: In that case, godspeed! And remember, you'll always be welcome in my home.

Last edited:
Geralt: "You Bjorn of Dalvik?" Bjorn: Dalvik... is no more. Geralt: I gotta hear what happened there. Bjorn: What's it to you? Go! Be on your way, Geralt: I was following the Wild Hunt, but lost its trail. I was hoping you could help. Bjorn: Another come to hear the madman's tale? Well, you're out of luck. Geralt: No one believes your story, right? Took you in like good hosts should, but they don't trust you. Geralt: Well, that's not me. I might believe you. I've faced the Hunt, got a score to settle with them. Bjorn: You know nothing. You didn't see what I saw. Geralt: If you don't want to talk, don't. I just need to know which way the Hunt went. Bjorn: I saw a long ship, made of the claws of dead men. The wraiths drove everyone to the shore, my daughter too. Geralt: Naglfar! Which direction did it go? This is important. Bjorn: East. They flew off towards Hindarsfjall. Geralt: Thanks for your help. Bjorn: Tell me, why do you seek them? No man who meets the Hunt, returns to this world. Geralt: I returned

Where's that from?

Here's some more dialogue with Crach about the Hunt. I think this is why he shows up at the end of the game, to fight them.

Regarding Crach in the final battle, it may be because of cut content in On Thin Ice and Battle Preparations that it is not well explained why he appears there. This part of the game looks somewhat unfinished even compared to the - already cut down - plans from mid-2014. Apparently, there might have been a battle on the sea between the Wild Hunt and Crach's and Emhyr's fleet, with destroyed ships etc., and even in the released version there is an unused part of the scene where Eredin kills Crach (q501_07_gmpl in the w3dialog.txt file). Also, in Battle Preparations there is a scene (q210_06c) where Crach is about to sail to Undvik, although I do not remember seeing it (perhaps because it is only for the case when Svanrige becomes the king ?).

@sv3672

Is this line in the game? It should be, and I recall hearing it, but now that I'm trying to find it, I can't.

"Geralt, have some dignity. You know how this will end."

I thought it was said during Cave of Dreams, but it's not there. Is it a combat line, perhaps?

Last edited:
Apparently, there might have been a battle on the sea between the Wild Hunt and Crach's and Emhyr's fleet, with destroyed ships etc

Damn.
This, and the cutted battle in novigrad would have changed so much....

"Geralt, have some dignity. You know how this will end."

I thought it was said during Cave of Dreams, but it's not there. Is it a combat line, perhaps?

It is in Eredin's voice set (eredin_vset.w2scene), and it does look like a combat line, but I am not sure exactly when it is said.

The way i see this situation is a bit different. I think Eredin having not many lines and the villains side not being detailed fits well with the story. As i see it in the story, Geralt,Ciri and Yennefer did not care who the villain was. In that sense we do not see a lot of details concerning Eredin or Wild Hunt or any other villainous group. Because they didnt care. I felt like Geralt and Yennefer were ready to face anything to save Ciri. They could be wraiths, ghosts, elves or evil clowns for all they cared. At some point Geralt says something like: ''It just so happens we are willing to do anything for some people''. I think that was it. Less talking more doing. He loved Ciri they were gonna hurt Ciri so he reached back to his sword. For whatever might get in the way. So if Eredin said 12 sentences during the story, to Geralt that was 12 sentences too many.

Last edited:
The way i see this situation is a bit different. I think Eredin having not many lines and the villains side not being detailed fits well with the story. As i see it in the story, Geralt,Ciri and Yennefer did not care who the villain was. In that sense we do not see a lot of details concerning Eredin or Wild Hunt or any other villainous group. Because they didnt care. I felt like Geralt and Yennefer were ready to face anything to save Ciri. They could be wraiths, ghosts, elves or evil clowns for all they cared. At some point Geralt says something like: ''It just so happens we are willing to do anything for some people''. I think that was it. Less talking more doing. He loved Ciri they were gonna hurt Ciri so he reached back to his sword. For whatever might get in the way.

If they were going for a vague, mysterious threat not meant to be fully explained, like the reapers in ME1 or the Hunt in TW1, there are far better ways to do it. The cut content along with other difficulties clearly screwed this aspect of the story. I refuse to believe they thought what little Eredin said would be sufficient. The Reapers, incidentally, are a text book example of how to ruin a villain. They were fucking terrifying in the first game, but seeing how Bioware killed their potential is clear in hindsight. The devs didn't plan it through. It feels similar to the Wild Hunt, actually. When I got to Eredin and everything just fell flat I was thinking it's ME3 all over again.

If they were going for a vague, mysterious threat not meant to be fully explained, like the reapers in ME1 or the Hunt in TW1, there are far better ways to do it. The cut content along with other difficulties clearly screwed this aspect of the story. I refuse to believe they thought what little Eredin said would be sufficient. The Reapers, incidentally, are a text book example of how to ruin a villain. They were fucking terrifying in the first game, but seeing how Bioware killed their potential is clear in hindsight. The devs didn't plan it through. It feels similar to the Wild Hunt, actually. When I got to Eredin and everything just fell flat I was thinking it's ME3 all over again.
The hunt in TW1 was mysterious Geralt was curious yet not much was known. This here in TW3 is different i think. It s not that he couldnt interact more with the villains because they were unknown. He could. There could be more interaction. But the story i think made it so that Geralt just doesnt wanna interact with them. He s like to heck with who or what they are we gotta look out for one another. I think it would be weird if there was a bunch of interaction between Ciri, Geralt and Yen and Eredin. Eredin wanted Ciri. They werent about to agree.

Top Bottom