'Error: Couldn't Switch to Requested Monitor Resolution'

+
Hi there!

Ever since the latest Windows 10 update, I haven't been able to open Gwent. The game fails to launch and the following error message appears:

Switching to resolution 1600x900 failed, trying lower one
Switching to resolution 1600x900 failed, trying lower one
All resolution fixes have failed
Screen: DX11 could not switch resolution (1600x900 fs=1 hz=0)

I have Googled numerous fixes and none of them have worked. I installed Nvidia GeForce, but the program doesn't seem to work upon installation (I get a black screen and my mouse cursor buffers indefinitely; I left the window open for half an hour with no change). Reinstalling GeForce and restarting the computer both had no effect. I've reinstalled Gwent, I've checked off the 'Disable fullscreen optimization' box in my computer's Compatibility Settings, I've changed my native screen resolution and tried to launch. I've even gone so far as to try to roll back the Windows update, but the button that lets me regress to a previous version of Windows literally isn't there anymore, and even if it was, that would only be a temporary solution, because I can only postpone updates, not permanently cancel them.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Error.png
    Error.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 559
It might be a Unity related issue. But the 1600 resolution is still available to your Windows operating system?

While googling I found a website where downloading one of these files was suggested:
For 32-bit OS: Windows6.1-KB2670838-x86.msu
For 64-Bit OS: Windows6.1-KB2670838-x64.msu

But I don‘t know if that works with Gwent too.

It might be a Unity related issue. But the 1600 resolution is still available to your Windows operating system?

While googling I found a website where downloading one of these files was suggested:
For 32-bit OS: Windows6.1-KB2670838-x86.msu
For 64-Bit OS: Windows6.1-KB2670838-x64.msu

But I don‘t know if that works with Gwent too.

Hi there, thanks for the response!

Where might I find those files? I looked them up, and it seems like it was an update for Windows 7. Would something like that still work for me? I've got Windows 10.

If you are referring to the windows update being for windows 7 instead of 10 when you actually have windows 10 installed, then you need to uninstall that particular update. You can do that by going to control panel > uninstall a program > view installed updates (left side).

TLDR: However i havent ever heard of windows update installing an update for the wrong version of windows, so if that's not the case just ignore what i wrote earlier.

This sounds like an issue with your nvidia driver however. It is possible that you installed a driver for the wrong video card.
Have you tried reinstalling the nvidia driver and geforce experience and performing a "clean install" ? It's a box you have to tick before installation that's supposed to restore all nvidia settings to default.

If that doesnt work, you might want to contact support, ultimately it's the most reliable way to fix your issue.

Top Bottom