Ethereal abuse

+
I think the card is broken, eveybody is using it with fruits leader and if you don't have a lock, you are *****d. On top of that, it can be copied with Caranthir. I'm tired of playing against the same combo over and over.

And the sound the creature makes is creepy.

Last edited:

Tyr117

Forum regular
I think the card is broken, eveybody is using it with fruits leader and if you don't have a lock, you are *****d. On top of that, despite being doomed, it can be purified and reused in later rounds. I'm tired of playing against the same combo over and over.

And the sound the creature makes is creepy.
Very cool card, it's not op though, I won Vs them mostly with Skellige.

while it is a strong card, it has an easy counter in either lambert or row punish. if you are tied of playing against this, tech some of those two options and its gg.
besides.. those two options are also very strong against a lot of other archtypes that see some play.
I have been playing lambert for a while now and even before the expansion he rarly got less then 10 points. now i have huge 14+ point swings every other game.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Yeah, i see this card has become very popular, i've even heard its the best card of the expansion.

I've also heard, and even thought so myself, that it cant be stopped, but yesterday found out that's not the case at all.

I thought locks wouldnt work unless you immediately locked both (with Auckes or NG stratagem+lock), but all you need is to lock the rightmost ethereal, and the left one wont transform the locked one because its still a demon.

Locks were pretty much neglected before this expansion, and with veil, i thought they would become even less popular. Maybe its the Ethereal threat that will cause a lock resurgence...

Yesterday i also found another (NG exclusive) counter to ethereals. All you need is play an enforcer, the opponent plays ethereal, you play a mage infiltrator between them (3dmg to each) and finish both with your 2 charges.

And finally, there's row punishment like lacerate, Lambert Swordmaster, Regis - all these allow you to ignore the ethereal swarm and punish later. Also, the new SK warriors with their Hemdall+GS punishes this really well.

Guest 4368268

Think we ought to slow down before we nerf this one into oblivion. True, it's not a card where you can easily and efficiently play around it, but I think that's OK in the same way I think endrega larvaes are OK. I think a problem with Ethereal is and is going to be that it's fairly cheap and you can therefor slide him into your deck and if it goes off it goes off tremendously and if it's countered it's not the end of the world. Think this is a case where making him higher provision(s) will do the trick.

Guest 4404014

3p/turn engine is too powerful for 8 provisions. Taking into account that conditions are easily met, it should be top provision card, the whereabouts of 10, maybe?

Yeah, i see this card has become very popular, i've even heard its the best card of the expansion.

I've also heard, and even thought so myself, that it cant be stopped, but yesterday found out that's not the case at all.

I thought locks wouldnt work unless you immediately locked both (with Auckes or NG stratagem+lock), but all you need is to lock the rightmost ethereal, and the left one wont transform the locked one because its still a demon.

Locks were pretty much neglected before this expansion, and with veil, i thought they would become even less popular. Maybe its the Ethereal threat that will cause a lock resurgence...

Yesterday i also found another (NG exclusive) counter to ethereals. All you need is play an enforcer, the opponent plays ethereal, you play a mage infiltrator between them (3dmg to each) and finish both with your 2 charges.

And finally, there's row punishment like lacerate, Lambert Swordmaster, Regis - all these allow you to ignore the ethereal swarm and punish later. Also, the new SK warriors with their Hemdall+GS punishes this really well.
Monster player often run consume units with Ethereal. They eat the locked one and the transfornation is going on. But movement can be a really good counter. Imagine, your 14 Points Ozzrel will be moved in to the Ethereal row... Or your Goliath, Yghern, etc. :smart:

Guest 4404014

Monster player often run consume units with Ethereal. They eat the locked one and the transfornation is going on. But movement can be a really good counter. Imagine, your 14 Points Ozzrel will be moved in to the Ethereal row... Or your Goliath, Yghern, etc. :smart:

No they can't. Moved units go to far right.

No they can't. Moved units go to far right.
I did it with Wild Hunt Bruiser :beer: 14 Points Ozzrel to a 4 Points Ethereal :D I don't say,it's always doable, but WH decks and Scoiatael decks run some movement...sometimes it is really good (requires planning of course and you need luck, so you're right, it's not really a counter, but fun if it happens :) )

DRK3

Forum veteran

I still havent updated my Ethereal deck, its the same as day one, but i didnt run consumes because i still didnt know that locks would 'stop the train'. Although i do run movement, when i built it it was not meant to be a good MO deck with Ethereal, it was a full-on Ethereal deck that swarms the entire board with Ethereals, on 2 different rounds.
So yeah, no Ygherns or Ozzels here, why use those stupid units when i can get a +20pt Triss TK.
I also run purifies, not really sure why, but now i know they're useful for unlocking the ethereals.

And yeah, Ethereal probably needs a nerf, going to 10pr would be a huge difference because he wouldnt be able to be Renewed (and he's definitely worth the 13p Renew)

Its not technically a 3pt engine. Its 2 pt with FOY. you can max on space. Othercards can put up way more points.

And yeah, Ethereal probably needs a nerf, going to 10pr would be a huge difference because he wouldnt be able to be Renewed (and he's definitely worth the 13p Renew)
Nobody plays on pro rank with Renew because you need 18pr and it would be too slow.
Ethereal is not op currently need balance first Skillige and Oneiromancy.

It's a really good card, not easy to play around it.

Yes, you can lock it but the opponent includes couple of purifiers and then what?

I think the best solution for this season is to let it multiply. With newly introduced archetypes you got to have 2 Lacerates and similar row removals. So, you can use it for a row of demons too. And for the monster(s) that grow fat hopefully you will have a reset or something.

Is ethereal as bad to play against compared to non-interactive MO frost decks? Seriously, it's so toxic, just play frost and control cards and wait till your opponent passes and play a unit to win.

Ethereal is only really a problem combined with Fruits of Ysgth. With any other leader it seems fair.

The infinite value of the Fruits leader combined with ethereal is where it starts to feel a bit busted. I'm not sure which of the 2 is the problem then, ethereal or being able to use your leader every turn with fruits?

DRK3

Forum veteran
Ethereal is only really a problem combined with Fruits of Ysgth. With any other leader it seems fair.

The infinite value of the Fruits leader combined with ethereal is where it starts to feel a bit busted. I'm not sure which of the 2 is the problem then, ethereal or being able to use your leader every turn with fruits?

I disagree, Ethereal can also work on other decks thanks to cards like nekkers and nighwraiths. I didnt find this myself, a fellow forum user played with me and showed me his deck and he was able to make Ethereal work without Gerni.

I think Ethereal is ridiculously undercosted, 8 provisions is ridiculous, he provides almost that value on deploy, and can carry an entire round, he's harder to stop than almost any other engine... i would say he should be at least 10provisions, maybe even 11 or 12 (and he was the card i was most excited for in this update, im not speaking out of spite)

I disagree, Ethereal can also work on other decks thanks to cards like nekkers and nighwraiths. I didnt find this myself, a fellow forum user played with me and showed me his deck and he was able to make Ethereal work without Gerni.

I think Ethereal is ridiculously undercosted, 8 provisions is ridiculous, he provides almost that value on deploy, and can carry an entire round, he's harder to stop than almost any other engine... i would say he should be at least 10provisions, maybe even 11 or 12 (and he was the card i was most excited for in this update, im not speaking out of spite)

I agree with you that it's provision cost is probably too low. At least with other leaders there is a bit more room for counterplay with removal and movement.

Ethereal is severely space constrained (36 max points on a row, insufficient to expect to carry a long round). Moreover, it synergizes very poorly across rounds (cards that support Ethereal don’t support much else). I will withhold judgment until I have much more experience.

Top Bottom