Ethereal abuse

+
Ethereal is severely space constrained (36 max points on a row, insufficient to expect to carry a long round). Moreover, it synergizes very poorly across rounds (cards that support Ethereal don’t support much else). I will withhold judgment until I have much more experience.

I think it synergizes quite well with insect swarm, but anyway you can replay Ethereal in later rounds as well.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Ethereal is severely space constrained (36 max points on a row, insufficient to expect to carry a long round). Moreover, it synergizes very poorly across rounds (cards that support Ethereal don’t support much else). I will withhold judgment until I have much more experience.

You said it yourself - 36 points on a row. This can be easily done with Fruits of Ysgith on a full R3. Those are 36pts for only 8 provisions and your leader ability, and you can still do whatever you want with the remaining 9 cards and other row.

Also, unless you kill both Ethereals as soon as they're played, they are hard to stop - you lock one, the opponent can either consume, purify or move the locked ethereal to keep the ethereal spread going.
And it doesnt synergize poorly between rounds when you can use Caranthir+Ethereal, even Renew Caranthir to play Ethereal all 3 rounds if needed, and movement so not to limit the Ethereals to one row.

And it doesnt synergize poorly between rounds when you can use Caranthir+Ethereal, even Renew Caranthir to play Ethereal all 3 rounds if needed, and movement so not to limit the Ethereals to one row.
if not draw combo almost always loses.
It is strong but not constant like Sk.

DRK3

Forum veteran
if not draw combo almost always loses.
It is strong but not constant like Sk.

If you build an entire deck around Ethereal, then you need to add a Royal Decree or Oneiromancy to make sure you get it. Even if you miss Caranthir you probably still can make it work.

And comparing it to SK, the current dominant faction doesnt prove Ethereal is fine, just that isnt as broken, and actually vulnerable to it thanks to GS+ Hemdall/ Wild Boar of the Sea.

Also, something i forgot to mention - Ethereal decks currently seem non-threatening because, at least the ones i've seen, tend to have 0 control/techs, not a single damage card, lock or tall removal, so you can do whatever you want against them, but it's a matter of time until players realize they can pull any deck with Ethereal, its a card that doesnt really restrict your deckbuilding at all apart from needing some tutors to be sure you get it on the board.

Have to agree with an earlier poster. SK great swords eats up ethereal.

Bleed damage as many Ethereal as you can. Then play Wild Board of the sea with a greatsword for a massive point swing. Regis is also effective, but given they have nerfed Regis hard, I wouldn't bother.

I even fed Ethereal Patricidal Fury in one game to set up a big swing.

But I do agree that provision cost is way too low at 8

If you build an entire deck around Ethereal, then you need to add a Royal Decree or Oneiromancy to make sure you get it. Even if you miss Caranthir you probably still can make it work.
I know how it worked got he plays a pro rank with version of Redrame Deck but op is not Ethereal.

I don't really think it's OP, it's a wide deck that actually works, and if you have wide damage, you can punish this pretty hard, but if you don't have well then it's like playing Vs tall engine decks without tall punishment, you are in trouble.
you either have to have something equally strong or you need Counter. If people learn to use Wide damage more, ethereal is not really a big deal, it's just a very viable Wide Deck, which we didn't have before.

Last edited:
In my opinion it should be a Monsters card only (not neutral), also add devotion to it maybe. Just to help a faction that has been the weakest for so long.

In my opinion it should be a Monsters card only (not neutral), also add devotion to it maybe. Just to help a faction that has been the weakest for so long.
I suppose it could be quite funny in a firesworn deck, but it pretty much already is a monster's faction card.

In fact I think I might put it in my firesworn deck. Call the exorcist!
:beer:

Think this card only makes sense in a monster insectoid deck or monster fruits of ysgrit. The reason is you can basically add a value of 3 per turn. However, especially when you play insect swarm you have to think in alternatives
- Kimimore Queen with Thrive can add significantly more value especially when you are able to have two queens. Then you can add a value of 2 for each insectoid each turn.
- Aeschna: Can Add a value of 1 for each insectoid one time, but you have the danger of tall removal

=> So for insectoid swarm your first choice should be Kimimore Queen and Option 2 Ethereal. But you have enough provisions for all.

I suppose it could be quite funny in a firesworn deck, but it pretty much already is a monster's faction card.

In fact I think I might put it in my firesworn deck. Call the exorcist!
:beer:

=> This does not make sense at all. You can at maximum at two value for a firesworn deck. And you have much better opportunities for them. The Card with 12 minus (10- Amount Firesworns), Whoreson Senior, The new deathblow of firesworn.

=> I think it is ok to leave it to neutral.

Think this card only makes sense in a monster insectoid deck or monster fruits of ysgrit. The reason is you can basically add a value of 3 per turn. However, especially when you play insect swarm you have to think in alternatives
- Kimimore Queen with Thrive can add significantly more value especially when you are able to have two queens. Then you can add a value of 2 for each insectoid each turn.
- Aeschna: Can Add a value of 1 for each insectoid one time, but you have the danger of tall removal

=> So for insectoid swarm your first choice should be Kimimore Queen and Option 2 Ethereal. But you have enough provisions for all.

=> This does not make sense at all. You can at maximum at two value for a firesworn deck. And you have much better opportunities for them. The Card with 12 minus (10- Amount Firesworns), Whoreson Senior, The new deathblow of firesworn.

=> I think it is ok to leave it to neutral.
LOL
It's a religious themed deck with a demon on the loose. It doesn't need to make sense competitively. It's purely for my own amusement.

I pretty much only play SY congregate because Cyrus Hemmelfarts ridiculously over the top taunts are so glorious.

Top Bottom