Ethical Means of Acquiring all Mutagens?

+
Ethical Means of Acquiring all Mutagens?

Spoilers ahead!

So I'm at a bit of an impasse in my NG+ game where I only have a handful of decoctions left to make, and the completionist in me is saying "make them" while the roleplayer in me is saying "I can't bring myself to kill these".

So the ones in question I have to complete are

Troll - I know there's some "bad trolls" you fight, that you don't have much option but to kill, I just am unsure if they can drop mutagens? I prefer to not kill trolls when given the option.

Ancient Leshen - Not quite so torn up about this one, but still appeasing the beast seems a better option than killing it, but I'll slay it without losing much sleep if I must

Doppler - A pickpocket hardly deserves to be killed right? But I need that Mutagen... is this the only Doppler I can even kill?

Succubus - Woe betide Geralt who himself is not immune to lust. Alas must there be only one succubus who can fill my alchemical needs?

Is there any alternative means for acquiring these mutagens? It's such a shame to eschew a moral decision in these quests simply because I wish to round out my decoctions (even if I never end up using those ones specific)

- Troll: It is quite possible that the Missing Miners troll is the only one dropping a mutagen. I did kill some bad trolls last time, and never got the mutagen. Didn't go out of my way to hunt bad trolls though, so maybe some others drop the mutagen. But... if the Missing Miners troll should be suffering from a DoT (bleeding, poisoning...), he'll be hostile after the chat. Then you can get your mutagen... ;)

- There's another Ancient Leshen in HoS. He drops a mutagen.

- Two succubi, though I am not sure if both drop the mutagen. The one from the witcher contract, and the one in Practicum in Alchemy.

- Doppler: the other doppler, during Skellige's Most Wanted doesn't seem to drop anything. Only killed him once and that was a while ago though.

---------------------------------

Edit:

I actually just found a Troll mutagen by killing a bad troll in the cave with the 3 farting trolls or from the one in the nekker monster den just across the Pontar river (next to the two endrega monster nests).

So that is alright. The drop rate isn't too hot though I think I killed 8 trolls in this playthrough, and I only got 1 mutagen.

That leaves the succubi and the doppler as the unethical ones. ;)

Last edited:
I always feel I can kill the contract succubus as she's killing humans, but that's up to you. And I currently have the succubus decoction, so I must have got it from her - I never kill the one in Skellige.

Same with the Ancient Leshen. Given that Geralt doesn't know what'll happen if he kills it, the decision is simple for me - it's a monster, it's killing humans. It has to go.

Troll, yes, definitely. I've always managed to get one eventually and I've NEVER killed a talking troll. The specific ones I'd consider "probables" are the farting trolls, the one where the Master Armourer stuff is, and the two non-talking ice trolls near you rescue Hjalmar's archer guy.

Doppler - I don't have. I do have a vague recollection that in one recent playthrough though some other monster dropped a doppler mutagen, presumably because it had killed a doppler sometime. Could be wrong though, so I wouldn't count on it.

It could be worse. There could be a godling decoction.

I did go ahead and kill the Doppler and Succubus, the Ancient Leshen will have to go as well once I get that far (already seen the spare option on all of these anyway). Aside from slight conscience pains though, at least there's no lasting repercussions for killing them, and I think you can still do enough "good deeds" to get spared the full wrath in Skellige's Most Wanted

Top Bottom