+
DannyGuy;n9515411 said:
You should be more clear about what you mean by "Ethnic characters."

In Gwent Northern Realms = England, Whales, Scotland
Skellige = Sweden, Finland, Norway
Nilfgaard = Germany, Austria
Scoia'Tael = ?????
Monsters = ?????

I assume you meant nonwhite ethnicities. In which case, I expect Ofeir to be the next faction in Gwent. Ofeir = India

Nilfgaard is France too, since Toussaint is part of Nilfgaard.

RidiculousName;n9515961 said:
I must respectfully disagree with this. I see no connection between Skelligers and us Finns. Maybe those who live in Åland, but that's it. :)

And to keep this post more on topic, I will say that I'm interested to see whether any Ofieri characters get their own Gwent cards. Really liked most of those guys in Wild Hunt, so I definitely hope so.

Yeah, was thinking about that too. Thought it should say Denmark instead of Finland.

Riven-Twain;n9515571 said:
Ay, they're still hardy fighters, with a taste for drink, an inclination to be quarrelsome, and an extensive knowledge of mining and demolition.

As for Norse druids, it's rather an amusing notion -- particularly the hats.
I thought it was an open secret. I'm talking about who the Dwarves are depicting in fantasy and fairy tales... Looking ArianeGrosmont
Sapkowski is also quite open on the matter.
cajsoccer;n9515651 said:
I always kinda thought the Ofieri were most similar to the Ottoman Turks.
That is not my quote, mate...
cajsoccer;n9515931 said:
I'm not trolling, I was just curious if there were non-white Gwent characters. I guess referring to them as "ethnic" was not the right way to go about asking.
Probably, only Ofieri and Zerrikanians (not sure what they would be). Oh, there's also Zangvebar and its "white horses with black stripes".
I mean, the elves, the monsters, etc. isn't enough for you?

Zefyris;n9517821 said:
Nilfgaard is France too, since Toussaint is part of Nilfgaard.
If anything, Toussaint is rather medieval Navarre than France.
static-ghost;n9516861 said:
The World of the Witcher is based on Medieval Europe and Poland, no ethnics at that time.
DOn't be so sure. Sicily, Iberia and Midi in general were quite "ethnic". I hate the damn word...

Last edited:
HenryGrosmont;n9519061 said:
If anything, Toussaint is rather medieval Navarre than France.

DOn't be so sure. Sicily, Iberia and Midi in general were quite "ethnic". I hate the damn word...
What would be more "of Navarre" than "of France" here? It's southern France for Toussaint, but not as south as Navarre. I don't see anything in Toussaint hinting at Navarre more than France. Especially considering that Navarre wasn't speaking French but Basque instead, whereas Toussaint IIRC uses many French words.
Also, nothing from Toussaint seems to be reminiscent of Navarre's History to me, either. The whole way Navarre and the idea behind it was originally formed is very peculiar after all.

Last edited:
Zefyris;n9520761 said:
What would be more "of Navarre" than "of France" here? It's southern France for Toussaint, but not as south as Navarre. I don't see anything in Toussaint hinting at Navarre more than France. Especially considering that Navarre wasn't speaking French but Basque instead, whereas Toussaint IIRC uses many French words.
Also, nothing from Toussaint seems to be reminiscent of Navarre's History to me, either. The whole way Navarre and the idea behind it was originally formed is very peculiar after all.
Many Navarese were totally speaking one of the "French" languages as well. Being a part of the French crown would do that to you, you know. Toussaint, being a satellite state and Anarietta being a sovereign on her own (esp in the books where Nilfgaard treats the duchy as such and respects its borders), would be a hint at something of the sort. Bearn could be another choice, with Gaston's brilliant court. Also, nothing like France we know existed at the time. Southern part of the kingdom wasn't even speaking proper French and had its own assembly, parallel to the North. And in the game, there's a mix of "French", "Oc" and even Iberian accents. Lastly, speaking the language wouldn't make you French either. King of Bohemia and Holy Roman Emperor spoke "proper" French better than German or Czech.
Sorry, if that sounds condescending but that's kind of part of my specialty as an historian Medievalist and it looks much more plausible to me than "France".

Last edited:
Please, don't get Henry started on medieval Europe: he knows everything about it, and I hate it when he's right.

HenryGrosmont you think you can make fun of us 'dwarves', with our long noses and fondness for alcohol and gold, simply because you've got a little dwarven bun in my oven? ;)

ArianeGrosmont;n9521321 said:
Please, don't get Henry started on medieval Europe: he knows everything about it, and I hate it when he's right.

HenryGrosmont you think you can make fun of us 'dwarves', with our long noses and fondness for alcohol and gold, simply because you've got a little dwarven bun in my oven? ;)

Expanding the tribe? Congrats

I suppose that ST are almost Italians. Francesca and Schirrù for example. Also Avallac'h and his "Vedraaaaiiiii!!!"

Last edited:
You're nothing but one, not so tiny now, ball of hate then, aren't you?

That was... uncalled for? Also, your people being depicted as Dwarves has nothing to do with me.
Theodrik;n9521471 said:
HenryGrosmont take my point for the history lessons.

:nice:
Hah, it's nothing. When I first read Game of Thrones though, about 15 years ago, I began searching for anything that could connect a character in the books to the real English participants, families and factions during War of the Roses. Expanding into a Hundred Years War wihth Dorne, etc. Crazy? Maybe... but it keeps my memory occupied and fresh.
idomyownstunts;n9523561 said:
Well, there's a poll. The Who Hates When Henry Grosmont is Right poll.
I have a huge fan base then. Ask ArianeGrosmont. She had a piece of cloth where she would embroider a little something every time I was right. Now, we have a whole Bayeux tapestry in the house...
TheShift;n9523771 said:
Expanding the tribe? Congrats
Yeah. Less time for Gwent...

*thank you :cheers:
maabush;n9523951 said:
I suppose that ST are almost Italians. Francesca and Schirru for example. Also Avallac'h and his "Vedraaaaiiiii!!!"

Italians? Why? Btw, Shirru has nothing to do with Scoia, he was one of Vilgefortz's henchmen and a half-breed. Iorveth though (and you used his line, not Avallach's - also quite an unpleasant person in the books)... is a very minor character in the books. Too bad Isengrim isn't a leader in the game... hmm, maybe it's time for CDPR make him such?

Last edited:
Actually, we have a drinking game: I down a shot whenever Henry's right. Needless to say, I'm so sober, I've forgotten what alcohol tastes like..
also, it was waaaaay over 15 years ago when you first read SoIaF, Henry: remember? 15 years ago you gave the books to me for the first time, and you had already read them (there were only 3 at the time) twice by that time.

Last edited:
ArianeGrosmont;n9524171 said:
Actually, we have a drinking game: I down a shot whenever Henry's right. Needless to say, I'm so sober, I've forgotten what alcohol tastes like..
also, it was waaaaay over 15 years ago when you first read SoIaF, Henry: remember? 15 years ago you gave the books to me for the first time, and you had already read them (there were only 3 at the time) twice by that time.
I had to proofread this... you know why. Can't keep her away from the booze...

My word, this is entertaining, wondering a wee bit off topic, but entertaining, nonetheless.

(Also, here's to us mediaevalists, HenryGrosmont ! My areas of speciality are legend, myth, and [mostly Arthurian] romance.)

On-topic personal opinion: Since questions such as this arose a few times during Witcher III, I will observe that, although diversity, tolerance, and acceptance are extremely important in our modern global community, a work of fantasy, set within a limited, mediaevalesque European-inspired region, needn't necessarily include what we might consider 'ethnic' diversity, merely for the sake of present-day political correctness. Although I believe it preferable to provide inclusive, representative figures, where possible, there remain the questions of whether the effort actually enhances the 'theme' of the game -- as a genre of entertainment -- and whether it is appropriate to the setting, or atmosphere of the imaginary world which is being highlighted in the game?

cajsoccer;n9513921 said:
Are there any in Gwent? I don't really care or think it's an issue at all, I'm just curious. LOL

there are elves, dwarves, driads, ice zombies... plenty of ethnicity to pick

Top Bottom