Eureka! I figured out what is wrong with this game/story[Spoiler]

+
You are alone. There is a reason why the game turns into crap the moment Jackie dies. Why did we all love Jackie even though we spent so little time with him?
Because its what he represents, a big brother, a friend, a compadre, someone to lean on, someone to experience the world with, a loyal friend, he is Batou! Once he is gone you are alone and you have nobody to confide in or to experience the world with. This goes against standard RPGs where companions are everything. Yes keanu reeves comes into the picture with his douchy one-liners and emo attitude but I rather he didn't show up at all. He does not fill Jackies function at all. And so you become the loneliest protagonist in any RPG ever.
In CP2 I hope we can have several companions that follow you around and that you can bond with.

True... kinda. My guess is that Johnny was supposed to fill that role somewhat for the rest of the game... but if that was the intention, CDPR totally blew it by revealing the fact that "he" is basically killing us, right off the bet. Also, as it stands now, we probably should have had much more time working with Jackie (and maybe even other "companions") before the Heist, but all of that was probably cut.

In the end, V being hardcoded as a Solo, and not the member of a crew, is one of the earliest... and to me, disappointing... things we kinda knew from the marketing material...

While yes your solo, i for one dont feel alone for a good bit of the game, im always being text or called or sitting in a mission with someone, the exception being some side missions and general exploration and even then i got Johnny muttering to me

The only problem, as been discussed multiple times, is the lack of content for every character you encounter, especially if you romance someone.

Theres a huge disconnect between what V feels and what i the player feel in regards to jackie, the very first time i played all i felt was "oh ok" while V was pretty much the same because what the dialogue options said never represented what V said or how she said it, the second time i choose differently and while V was a wee bit emotional i, the player, was still sitting like "hurry up already an give us your bike"

I felt no emotion for any character in the game bar V and only feel emotion at the game come the end credits and this is because every single character is underdeveloped, maybe to big a cast, maybe not enough time, who knows, what is there is very well writing and greatly voiced by all but as ive said before it all feels nothing more than a prologue for the cast since all your ever giving is a tease to these ppl into how they live and who they are, then just as you the player start to bond, form a friendship or a romantic interest, it's over, and then yes you do truly feel alone because then the world just dies and becomes stale and boring.

Nah man, Keanu is with you every step of the way! s/

Seriously though you know what this game needed? Quest structure like the Borsodi heist from TW3: Hearts of Stone. You got a job but you need a team of experts. So you go around recruiting a certain number of people in order to gather the crew you need. You can't get everyone, you have to choose based on how you want the mission to actually progress. They all bring something unique to the table and change specific parameters of the quest. That and they all have various levels of loyalty so when something goes wrong some characters would abandon or betray you.

Yep.

What's worst is you have Misty, Vic and Mama Welles who exist and are the people most important in Vs life after Jackie and they are absent pretty much after the start.

Other character criminially underutilised is T-Bug, missed an opportunity there for another persistent character through the whole game - and their role would have slipped into the story perfectly.

I've said it before, and I'll say it a thousand more times, I love Keanu, I like the idea / role of johnny - but the game is at it's strongest and best when it is leaning hard into all those other relationships.

Yep.

What's worst is you have Misty, Vic and Mama Welles who exist and are the people most important in Vs life after Jackie and they are absent pretty much after the start.

Other character criminially underutilised is T-Bug, missed an opportunity there for another persistent character through the whole game - and their role would have slipped into the story perfectly.

I've said it before, and I'll say it a thousand more times, I love Keanu, I like the idea / role of johnny - but the game is at it's strongest and best when it is leaning hard into all those other relationships.
...and again, probably was the original intention to meet Misty, Vick and Mama Welles gradually over the course of the prologue/first act. Same probably goes for T-Bug, who might originally even have had an option to survive the Heist...

...and again, probably was the original intention to meet Misty, Vick and Mama Welles gradually over the course of the prologue/first act. Same probably goes for T-Bug, who might originally even have had an option to survive the Heist...

i have a feeling tbug is still alive if they chose to continue the story.

Sorry to say that. at least for me, the best part of the story was The Heist. Story goes flat after that. Sure, the little team ups with Judy, Panam and Takemura are okay but they pale in comparison with the connection you have with Jackie. Everyone needs me immediately and constant phone calls and text messages from fixers try to sell me cars is beyond irritating.

Sorry to say that. at least for me, the best part of the story was The Heist. Story goes flat after that. Sure, the little team ups with Judy, Panam and Takemura are okay but they pale in comparison with the connection you have with Jackie. Everyone needs me immediately and constant phone calls and text messages from fixers try to sell me cars is beyond irritating.
Fun-Time-cp77.jpg

You are alone. There is a reason why the game turns into crap the moment Jackie dies. Why did we all love Jackie even though we spent so little time with him?
Because its what he represents, a big brother, a friend, a compadre, someone to lean on, someone to experience the world with, a loyal friend, he is Batou! Once he is gone you are alone and you have nobody to confide in or to experience the world with. This goes against standard RPGs where companions are everything. Yes keanu reeves comes into the picture with his douchy one-liners and emo attitude but I rather he didn't show up at all. He does not fill Jackies function at all. And so you become the loneliest protagonist in any RPG ever.
In CP2 I hope we can have several companions that follow you around and that you can bond with.

I agree that this is the main problem of the game.

You know a lot of people, but you're always alone.

Just like in FF XV, when they showed that Noctis and Luna were a couple, but never get to live with each other - only by "dog mail", despite her loss was really heavy for the character and with a very impactful animation, in reality the player never got to know her - so it was a shallow loss. Same goes to Noctis father.

But in FF VII, Aerith loss was much more meaningful, for the player specially, giving that "We can't let this Sephiroth guy get away with that" feeling. That's because she was very well developed as a character for storytelling AND for gaming purposes: she was always in the party, the player interacted with her, had very good stats as a healer - so she was useful, had some story with her in some parts of the game.

So, considering what was done in Cyberpunk 2077, V and Jackie become friends are resumed by the Youtube Promo video, instead of being properly developed in game missions, and all other friends/romantic options have some meaningful moments of talking, but you never get to do things wih them.

You can't call them to eat, drink and dance. Can't call them to help with some jobs and so on (except for Judy on one of her own missions).

When Jackie goes, it's a sad moment, very well planned, but a missed oportunity to make it carry more dramatic weight, to be more meaningful. Same goes to T-Bug, which you never really get to know, so when she passes it's like "ok, these things happen, people die".

And I only felt the weight of Jackies death when I visit Mama Welles and how she behaved, not because I bounded with Jackie (because the friendship was a promo youtube video, not actually game missions). To be honest, the weight of his loss is thanks to the spectacular job made by the voice actors (male and female).

So, the same goes for other meaningful friends/romance in Cyberpunk 2077. They're nice, but because you don't really do anything with them, no activities, no jobs and they forget you as soon as their plot missions are done, there is this feeling of emptiness, that something is missing. This is a big letdown in this department.

So what I would do if I could update things while keeping the story structure generally the same is make the montage playable, which in turn would require opening up the world sooner instead of after the heist. Plus it is established IIRC that V has met one or two fixers before hand, like Wakako.

This would require rebalancing certain areas, but what this means is that the open world opens up sooner, not right when you are told that you have a implant that is killing V. It also helps with the build up of the heist as that becomes the center part of the story and then everything with Johnny happens after wards.

This I think would help with pacing, and the feeling that the game is too short, and so on.

I quite enjoy the story and see Jackie's death as integral to the plot, so I completely disagree there.

I do agree that a companion system would be nice though. You could have people like Judy or River backing you up.

So what I would do if I could update things while keeping the story structure generally the same is make the montage playable

Since my first play through seeing all that footage it's been on my mind it is all cut content to get the game together in time for launch, I'm not holding my breath but if we got that prologue as a DLC I wouldn't be surprised. (or disappointed)

I will even go as far as to say that I couldn't of cared less about Jackie and his demise, sure he was cool and I watched a montage of some cool stuff I suposedly got upto with him, but I didn't, it was just a quick skippable video.

It's almost the same as in a movie when you hear the character talking about something cool but you don't see it. I think in that medium it is called "show don't tell" not sure what to call it in a game, hmmm, "play don't show".

After meeting Rogue & getting her contact, you can call her & an option to ask is "Got any jobs for me?"
What she basically tells you, is that she has jobs but not for you & that you work alone because you 'botched' the Arasaka heist at the beginning of the game... She says a bit more than that, but that's the gist of it.

You are god damn right! I was feeling somehow strange, but never really realised how and now everything suddenly makes sense. Everyone is leaving you or just ignoring you after you bond with other Night City's characters, you are just alone till end of your days, literally :(

After meeting Rogue & getting her contact, you can call her & an option to ask is "Got any jobs for me?"
What she basically tells you, is that she has jobs but not for you & that you work alone because you 'botched' the Arasaka heist at the beginning of the game... She says a bit more than that, but that's the gist of it.
V botched it. Yep, they summoned the darn emperor and everything. I knew there was a plot twist. V is a corporate assassin all along! /s

Good point.

Imagine Cyberpunk 2077 quest system in The Witcher 3.

You'll be always followed by a messenger in a horse, that fetches you with some: "Howdy, mr. witcher, Lord Shennanigan needs you to defeat this griffin over that mountain, but spare the griffins and the cows, to avoid the Demon Cow to apear. More details on the pigeon parchment".

But you never get to know who Lord Shennanigan actually is. Never talk to the guy and have 0 personal reasons to help him.

Imagine the Blood Baron quest in Cyberpunk 2077 format:
A messenger approaches Geralt while he is in the middle of a fist fight:
Messenger: "Hello, witcher, peasant words says that you're looking for a white haired girl, and that some baron out there might know where to look"
Geralt: "What do you mean by that?"
Messenger: "More details on the pigeon parchment"
Then the messenger flees.

But instead of money, Geralt get Ciri's location info.

Imagine that 60% of all side quests are all Geralt behaving in a passive way, and being told what the next job is by random messengers, and everytime he has to read some pigeon parchment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom