Everything about weapons

+
Gillian_Seed;n10188392 said:
It's just something that I personally enjoy in video games. One of my favorite aspects of gaming, especially in RPG's is character leveling/building and combat which is something I enjoy doing for its own sake when the combat system is both rewarding in terms of loot and fun.

I feel stat/property variations of otherwise identical weapons adds next level variety and value to the weapons and armor as well as endgame purpose being that you can continuously strive for better gear if only in various iterations of what you already have...but by that point you've likely invested hundreds of hours into the game and gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it.

While Su would also prefer these systems to carry over to 2077, I believe in this context she's just educating you on what the PnP source material is like. In 2020 (the PnP), there is no "character levels", just skill levels. Gear doesn't level up or do extra damage just because, similar thing with armor.

Perfectly fine to want that sort of thing in 2077, even if not all of us do - maybe it's even what will end up happening, we really don't know just yet. It would be a pretty big departure from the source material, of course, but stranger things have happened!

Suhiira;n10187912 said:
No real "god roll gear" in the game tho.

you forget that the CH-19 orbital sniper system exists... essentially a magical space-based "you die" button. :p

Guest 4149880

Snowflakez;n10188342 said:
Right, I totally agree. When I said difficulty settings, I was specifically referring to Fallout 4, nothing else. I was just saying that Fallout 4's melee system doesn't allow you to run into bullets with impunity if you are playing on anything other than easy, which seemed to be the implication eraser was making. Just clarifying a point.

Devil's advocate here, but we don't know for sure that 2077 will actually use a level-less system. They could just wind up doing what they did with TW3, which would then make difficulty settings more likely.

I'll be pretty disappointed if they do go that route, of course (as most of us would) but it could happen. I don't really know what compromises they feel they need to make to turn this project into a real thing, or what their reasons for doing so might be, though.

I understand your point on Fallout 4. I was only distinguishing the difference in design I'd like to see different for 2077 from Fallout 4 in an open world rpg anyway.

As much of a fan I am of Witcher 3, I don't care for its progression system much. The player level vs enemy level restrictions specially was simply artificial. High level enemies created a linear path when the damage received was just too high for no reason other then guiding the player through the game at certain levels. And I'd really hate to see that again in 2077. As well as the weapon/gear level restriction. I just don't like that kind of design personally but I'm preparing myself for Cyberpunk using similar system to Witcher 3.

I would prefer progression system based solely on the characters skills rather then where they rank in level in regards to the enemies of the world. Meaning that if the player wanted to attempt dangerous missions very early on, regardless of the challenge it could be possible. That might result in some nice tech early on and the skilled and knowledgeable players should be rewarded for these type of things if they attempt and complete them. Let the games challenge dictate how far individual players can go rather then holding them back because of levels. That's what I'm hoping for.

Even Dark Souls requires stat levels for weapons but I find it doesn't make a difference in that case because in that respect, the stats are directly related to weapon damage scaling so of course it makes sense to only increase them higher then its requirements. But when talking weapon progression, Cyberpunk shouldn't look to Dark Souls, there is no comparison there. Its an entirely different system.

But Dark Souls allows the players to go as far as they can in the game regardless of player level and enemy levels are unknown. Levels in DS are merely who your character is, the enemies don't give a shit what level you are, they just want to kill you. Its up to the player to fight back and overcome, or stealth around, or however they see fit. Giving players a challenge and the options and let them figure it out. This concept should be strongly looked at the most in design of 2077, in my opinion.

I personally hope CDPR breaks the norm with this game and don't try and compromise the vision for simplistic features. Of course they want to sell this game to as many people as they can. Make an easy ride mode for those who only want to play it once. But keep that separate from the hardcore experience we all want.

Last edited by a moderator:
eraser7278;n10188592 said:
you forget that the CH-19 orbital sniper system exists... essentially a magical space-based "you die" button. :p
I stand corrected !

And while certainly a "precision weapon" if your target is a city ... or an army ... it's somewhat less useful vs an individual.
But hey ... it's ultimately controlled by one Corp or another ... so what it there's a little collateral damage, the execs and their families will be exac'd before hand, and the rest is expendable.

BeastModeIron;n10188612 said:
I would prefer progression system based solely on the characters skills rather then where they rank in level in regards to the enemies of the world. Meaning that if the player wanted to attempt dangerous missions very early on, regardless of the challenge it could be possible. That might result in some nice tech early on and the skilled and knowledgeable players should be rewarded for these type of things if they attempt and complete them. Let the games challenge dictate how far individual players can go rather then holding them back because of levels. That's what I'm hoping for.
You and I both.

BeastModeIron;n10188612 said:
But Dark Souls allows the players to go as far as they can in the game regardless of player level and enemy levels are unknown. Levels in DS are merely who your character is, the enemies don't give a shit what level you are, they just want to kill you. Its up to the player to fight back and overcome, or stealth around, or however they see fit. Giving players a challenge and the options and let them figure it out. This concept should be strongly looked at the most in design of 2077, in my opinion.
Again I couldn't agree more.

Last edited:
but then who has a cool million bucks + the cost to put the damn thing in orbit? plus it's kinda a one use thing because once you start using it, other people will be looking to take it down... besides it's kinda small scale, for that price I expect "rods from the gods" city killing effect on target... maybe we'll get that in chrome 5?

Top Bottom