Everything about weapons

+
RLKing1969;n10106951 said:
Not a big fan of the SKS. I'm an American, so I guess I am partial to the old Garand frame. To each their own though.

No argument here, my SKS is my official "money pit" gun. by that i mean it cost me $150 up front, and I've paid gunsmiths at least 3 times as much to fix various issues with it... like that one time it decided to slam fire whenever i let the bolt fly...and would then burst fire for multiple rounds...the soviets had ample cause to ditch it.

I'm also an American, can ya tell?

MURICA, FUCK YEAH!

the pins have a dense core of hardwood with a plastic casing, which makes for great hanging/knockdown targets. It doesn't hurt that you can also pick them up free, or nearly free when a local bowling alley swaps out their pins. I use them in place of 2 liter bottles of water now, since we're constantly in a drought... I miss the hydro-static effect in action :(

eraser7278;n10111481 said:
I use them in place of 2 liter bottles of water now, since we're constantly in a drought... I miss the hydro-static effect in action :(

What is this thing, "drought?" Sounds very Dark Future. Up here in BC we know only water. SO MUCH WATER.

eraser7278;n10111481 said:
the pins have a dense core of hardwood with a plastic casing, which makes for great hanging/knockdown targets.
Good point.
Guess I'm boreing ... I use paper.

Guest 4149880

All this talk about guns but what about the melee. I personally love this design. If this is any indication of what's in 2077, I'm hyped.

BeastModeIron;n10154352 said:
All this talk about guns but what about the melee. I personally love this design. If this is any indication of what's in 2077, I'm hyped.

I saw that a bit ago, I forget where. Some Imgur album of weapons from the trailer, yeah?

I too hope we get some pretty sweet melee weapons in the game, though how exactly they work is up in the air. I guess they could just do a Witcher-like system, but even I'll admit it was a bit too simplistic to be super engaging. I'd like to see something a bit more fleshed out.

God, I'm just now remembering how terrible Fallout 4's melee weapons were...

BeastModeIron;n10154352 said:
Feel free to bring your knife to my gunfight !

The "problem" with melee weapons in games dominated by firearms is it presupposes there's some way for people to dodge bullets or be essentially bullet proof. Fine for a fantasy setting, not so in anything remotely resembling a realistic one.

Last edited:
Melee and hth skills have their uses in close quarters where reaching or pointing the gun might just take enough time to give a throatpunch or reaching a jolt with your cattle prod. And long arms are pretty useless as other than clubs (did you possess that melee skill?) after a certain distance.

You’ll be thankful for having those skills when the opportunity for them arises, but it certainly shouldn’t be viable or wise to assault a riflesquad head on with a knife, not even with some leg enhancements. That’s a fight best avoided without guns.

kofeiiniturpa;n10154762 said:
Melee and hth skills have their uses in close quarters where reaching or pointing the gun might just take enough time to give a throatpunch or reaching a jolt with your cattle prod. And long arms are pretty useless as other than clubs (did you possess that melee skill?) after a certain distance.

You’ll be thankful for having those skills when the opportunity for them arises, but it certainly shouldn’t be viable or wise to assault a riflesquad head on with a knife, not even with some leg enhancements. That’s a fight best avoided without guns.
Even at point-blank range I'd take a handgun over a knife or hand-to-hand.
That said, they are quieter and never run out of ammo :rolleyes:

Guest 4149880

Snowflakez;n10154482 said:
I saw that a bit ago, I forget where. Some Imgur album of weapons from the trailer, yeah?

I too hope we get some pretty sweet melee weapons in the game, though how exactly they work is up in the air. I guess they could just do a Witcher-like system, but even I'll admit it was a bit too simplistic to be super engaging. I'd like to see something a bit more fleshed out.

I expect melee to play a part, but if the game has a big variety of weapons, I don't expect them to have much depth in terms of how the player uses them. As one weapon like a katana can be used in many different fighting stances, but m
aybe Witchers light and heavy attacks.
I would expect to see a more streamlined set of moves for each weapon type then unique animations for each one as it could get quite complex once you venture down that road.

I don't think the game will go the Nioh route and give each melee weapon multiple stances but I do hope melee is deep enough to make it a viable combat option rather then guns if one chooses.

Also the difference in combat depending on player perspective will also play a part.

I think Bethesda has awful melee mechanics. Its simply an animation with no real regard or interaction to what you're actually hitting. Floats over enemies and makes a contact sound. Nah, they should stick to what works in Witcher 3 where the weapons actually feel real, make contact with other enemy swords and executions.

Snowflakez;n10154482 said:

Melee combat in Fallout 4 seems to be much like Skyrim, perhaps even simplified because I do not think there are shields in the game, for example. A melee system that is an evolution of the one in Witcher 3 would already be decent, obviously with some modifications to suit the cyberpunk setting. But realistically guns are overall more effective, melee weapons might be most useful in specific situations.

Suhiira;n10155362 said:
Even at point-blank range I'd take a handgun over a knife or hand-to-hand.

Sure. A definite upper hand.

Sometimes, though, the circumstances are just such that the tables are turned even for the pro gunslinger.

sv3672;n10157542 said:
A melee system that is an evolution of the one in Witcher 3 would already be decent

Ohh, I'm not so sure about that. All those somersaults and pirouettes and frantic, almost aimless flailing... What'd be the evolution and what'd be left of the inspiration material in the end? I always took the melee/HtH in Cyberpunk to be more blunt as a performance than that, and much more quickly resolved.

kofeiiniturpa;n10158362 said:
Sure. A definite upper hand.

Sometimes, though, the circumstances are just such that the tables are turned even for the pro gunslinger.

Ohh, I'm not so sure about that. All those somersaults and pirouettes and frantic, almost aimless flailing... What'd be the evolution and what'd be left of the inspiration material in the end? I always took the melee/HtH in Cyberpunk to be more blunt as a performance than that, and much more quickly resolved.

What's the alternative? What's a reasonable, realistic (in the sense that it's likely that they do it), achievable system they could implement that makes melee fun, effective, and not terribly over the top?

Note, I'm asking what you think could actually happen, not so much your ideal, dream system. Not that I'm against pitching those ideas, that's just not what I'm asking here specifically.

Aside from that, I agree that from a pure aesthetics/spectacle standpoint at the very least, TW3 was a bit over the top. But screw it, I thought it looked good. I'm all for a more grounded, realistic system of course - not saying no to that.. but I enjoyed TW3's, too, for what it was.

Last edited:
Snowflakez;n10158672 said:
What's the alternative? What's a reasonable, realistic (in the sense that it's likely that they do it), achievable system they could implement that makes melee fun, effective, and not terribly over the top?

Note, I'm asking what you think could actually happen, not so much your ideal system

I have no idea what would be a "reasonable, realistic alternative" -- what could "actually happen" -- that's not at least in part "my ideal system". Maybe it just turns out to work like all these other hack and slashes of late in this regard... Dark Souls, Witcher 3, Nioh, what all else there were.

Last edited:
concealable and less lethal melee weapons have some niche uses, but the combat system at the heart of cyberpunk is based on Reality (tm) and not "good clean fun." if you're holding a melee weapon, your opponent is holding a firearm, and there is more than a few meters distance between you...reality dictates you loose. Even assuming the most favorable conditions for the melee combatant, as found in the Tueller drill, it's estimated that a knife wielding assailant can cover 21ft (6.4m) and attack before an officer can draw and fire. If you're looking for a game where wielding a katana is just as effective as an assault rifle, then you need to go play shadowrun :p

eraser7278;n10159162 said:
concealable and less lethal melee weapons have some niche uses, but the combat system at the heart of cyberpunk is based on Reality (tm) and not "good clean fun." if you're holding a melee weapon, your opponent is holding a firearm, and there is more than a few meters distance between you...reality dictates you loose. Even assuming the most favorable conditions for the melee combatant, as found in the Tueller drill, it's estimated that a knife wielding assailant can cover 21ft (6.4m) and attack before an officer can draw and fire. If you're looking for a game where wielding a katana is just as effective as an assault rifle, then you need to go play shadowrun :p

Seemed like the Psycho in the trailer did just fine with arm blades alone. Probably wouldn't need quite that level of cyberwear, but there are clearly ways to mitigate the disadvantage "bringing a knife to a gunfight" comes with.

Plus, I don't particularly care in this instance whether or not guns are more effective than melee weapons or not. If I want to use a katana the entire game, I'm damn well gonna if the game lets me. That's the beauty of RPGs - player agency and choice. I wouldn't do it in a PnP, of course, because there's no such thing as reloading, but thats also the beauty of video games (non-ironman video games, that is).

If this is going to be a game I'm going to play for over a thousand hours (As was the case with TW3), it's going to need variety. Not needing to stick to strictly guns for every single playthrough is just a way of adding variety.

Snowflakez;n10159202 said:
Seemed like the Psycho in the trailer did just fine with arm blades alone.
VS unarmed opponents?
Of course she did.

As to her body plating making her impervious to police issue assault rifles ... artistic license.

Suhiira;n10159642 said:
VS unarmed opponents?
Of course she did.

As to her body plating making her impervious to police issue assault rifles ... artistic license.

Yeah, the body plating was what I was referring to. I'm very inexperienced with CP lore so I just assumed that was a normal thing, if expensive. You don't think we'll see that in the game to some degree?

Maybe not total immunity (I imagine that much force should still do SOMETHING to the body...), but some sort of armoring to make melee playstyles more viable would be welcome.

Not that I won't use guns. Definitely will. Probably 70-80% of my playthroughs will be gun-focsed, with occasional melee use as needed/when appropriate.

Top Bottom