Everything about weapons

+
Everything about weapons

There was stated already, that in CP 2077 there will be tons of different weapons.

What do you think is the direction, which should CP take in weapon design ?
What kinds of weapons would you like to see in CP ?
How should action with these weapons look like and how should AIM work ?

Great questions!
  • Hmmm... I'm not sure I understand this one. Do you mean art direction, or functionality?
  • I'd love to see a lot of concealable weapons, sticking with the theme of the high-tech cyberpunk universe. Blades hidden within your clothes, or the arm-blade scythe things we saw from the woman in the trailer. Pistols that are almost completely silent (I'm pretty sure 60 years from now we'll have figured out the whole "true silencer" thing), maybe a few thermal weapons that don't rely on ammo to function. "High tech" weapons that can screw with opponent implants - say, maybe you hack into their arm blades and slice them up with them, that sort of thing. Ultimately, I'd like to see a lot of ultra-deadly weapons, that require great skill to take full advantage of.
  • This is a tough one. On one hand, I think shooting mechanics like GTA V worked well, but on the other hand, this is an RPG that is based on a very gritty, realistic tabletop game. You can't walk through bullet fire from 3 enemies and expect to survive in the Cyberpunk world, at least not as you could in a game like GTA. So, aiming and gunplay would either need to be lightning fast and deadly, or slower, more methodical and deliberate. I really don't have a good answer for this, it's tough.

Snowflakez;n9901061 said:
Do you mean art direction, or functionality
Functionality, but design is also a topic :)

Seems to me you like to play quite a assassin style, and to be able to use many strategies, including equipment of enemy.
This sounds cool, e.g. as if enemy has flamethrower and tank with fuel on his back, this could be shot to explode, etc.. :)

Snowflakez;n9901061 said:
On one hand, I think shooting mechanics like GTA V worked well, but on the other hand, this is an RPG that is based on a very gritty, realistic tabletop game
Yeah, that is the topic here.
Maybe it would be cool for each kind of weapon to have different AIM,
In witcher you could throw bomb, but target point (white dot on screen) was destination already (where the bomb drops on the ground).
It would be cool that the point would be more or less direction to "somewhere in mid air" and then it falls depending on physics, etc.. (wind can be used, or weather,...)
You know - real life bow shooting like :)

Look at CP2020, there's your weapon design philosophy.
Realistic (keeping game mechanics in mind) portrayals of real weapons and realistic probable future ones.

There's absolutely no need to "invent" weapons for CP2077, just look up the real-life stats of real ones.

Suhiira;n9901341 said:
Look at CP2020, there's your weapon design philosophy.
Realistic (keeping game mechanics in mind) portrayals of real weapons and realistic probable future ones.

There's absolutely no need to "invent" weapons for CP2077, just look up the real-life stats of real ones.

Well, it's 57 years after CP2020, so I think inventing new weapons is perfectly viable.

Guest 4149880

Mike Pondsmith describes there being various guns iterations over the years, seeing modern guns and what they'll look like from the year 2050, 2060 all the way up to 2077, as well as new guns that no one has seen before. Yes of course new guns will be invented for 2077, but you'll still see older weapons as well.

BeastModeIron;n9901501 said:
Mike Pondsmith describes there being various guns iterations over the years, seeing modern guns and what they'll look like from the year 2050, 2060 all the way up to 2077, as well as new guns that no one has seen before. Yes of course new guns will be invented for 2077, but you'll still see older weapons as well.

Yep. That's even part of the PnP - new weapons come along, variants of old weapons and old weapons still in play.

By 2077, well, should be interesting.

the design of the guns may change, so long as we still have to buy them off fixers like this guy.

Snowflakez;n9901361 said:
Well, it's 57 years after CP2020, so I think inventing new weapons is perfectly viable.
Well ... let's see ... 2017 - 57 = 1960 ...
M1911 ... still in use (introduced 1911)
M2 HMG ... still in use (introduced 1933)
AK47 ... still in use (introduced 1949)
M14 ... still in use (Introduced 1959)
M16 ... was in prototype stage at the time

Firearms aren't going to change all that much between 2017=> 2020 => 2077.

Last edited:
Suhiira;n9901911 said:
AK47 ... still in use
Spotted a Counter-Strike player! Maybe in CP2020 but the real AK-47 didn't go past prototype stage and contrary to media, developed in 1948. The real version is just AK.

metalmaniac21;n9902051 said:
Spotted a Counter-Strike player! Maybe in CP2020 but the real AK-47 didn't go past prototype stage and contrary to media, developed in 1948. The real version is just AK.
Oh, there most certainly are changes in the details, the M16A4 is a VERY different weapon from the M16, M16A1, M16A2 but the basic design and operating system are virtually identical.

metalmaniac21;n9902051 said:

Uuuuhhh.what? That's contrary to everything I know, what history taught me, what the internet says and what my Russian soldier-driver knows. Boy, would he be surprised to learn his beloved AK-47 isn't...?

It's accurate that the Russian military just officially labeled it the "AK" but it was the 1947 version that saw actual dissemination, distinguishing it from earlier versions. Much the same as the version developed in 1974 is the AK-74. Still just an "AK" or Avtomat Kalashnikova but there has to be some way to differentiate the versions.

Thus the 47/74, AKM and 103 versions.

And the 47 version absolutely went past prototype and was the primary Warsaw Pact weapon for years.

if anything in small-arms changes radically It'll be the ammo... but not the way Pondsmith predicted. caseless was the wiz bang future tech when CP2020 was adopted, but the wall came down and the G11 tech never took off.

current military development seems to be focused on polymer cased telescoped ammunition, in an effort to reduce the weight and bulk for warfighters. with 60 years to go, it might just be ready for deployment by 2077. If this takes off it means cartridges will get shorter and fatter, which could have further implications down the road.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Small_Arms_Technologies

Sardukhar;n9902411 said:
It's accurate that the Russian military just officially labeled it the "AK" but it was the 1947 version that saw actual dissemination, distinguishing it from earlier versions. Much the same as the version developed in 1974 is the AK-74. Still just an "AK" or Avtomat Kalashnikova but there has to be some way to differentiate the versions.
First time hearing it. AK-47 badge wears two pre-release prototypes. One mentioned earlier testing prototype pack (1500 units, year 1948), just before the true 'AK' went into use in 1949 and the other model with long wooden fore-end. Again, two differend models, two different 47's... So which one you and your Russian soldier-driver talks about? IDK, I only saw "AK-47" literas in computer games besides them. Sure it's acceptible to label it "AK-47" but not recommended, because every instruction book mentions either "AK" or "7-62mm Avtomat Kalashnikova model 1949", which is too long, and at least I prefer to follow the book.
Sardukhar;n9902411 said:
Much the same as the version developed in 1974 is the AK-74. Still just an "AK" or Avtomat Kalashnikova but there has to be some way to differentiate the versions.
Yes, there was a way. AK was replaced by AKM in 1959, and AKM was replaced by AK-74 in yes, 1974... The end of story.
Sardukhar;n9902411 said:
Avtomat Kalashnikova
"Automatic Carbine" also, the general name for assault rifles presented on the competition back when AK was in development.
Sardukhar;n9902411 said:
And the 47 version absolutely went past prototype and was the primary Warsaw Pact weapon for years.
The source was written with latin alphabet I guess?

Last edited:
Suhiira;n9901911 said:
Well ... let's see ... 2017 - 57 = 1960 ...
M1911 ... still in use (introduced 1911)
M2 HMG ... still in use (introduced 1933)
AK47 ... still in use (introduced 1949)
M14 ... still in use (Introduced 1959)
M16 ... was in prototype stage at the time

Firearms aren't going to change all that much between 2017=> 2020 => 2077.

I mean, they've literally said there will be "New equipment adopted to reflect over 50 years of mankind progress", so I do think there's going to be a pretty nice variety of new weapons that we haven't seen before. Technology advances at a rapid rate once it gets going, and faster, smarter computers and AI starts coming out, while producing weapons and other pieces of gear becomes faster and more streamlined than ever.

Does it really matter one way or the other? What's wrong with discussing ideas for new weapons?

Guest 4149880

Sardukhar;n9901781 said:
Yep. That's even part of the PnP - new weapons come along, variants of old weapons and old weapons still in play.

By 2077, well, should be interesting.

That's going to very interesting aspect of 2077, especially if you can get access to very old weapons in game, which in the year 2077, old guns would look modern to us in 2017. And if new weapons are RFID secured then using old guns might be a necessity until you can acquire the high tech gear.

Snowflakez;n9905191 said:
I mean, they've literally said there will be "New equipment adopted to reflect over 50 years of mankind progress", so I do think there's going to be a pretty nice variety of new weapons that we haven't seen before. Technology advances at a rapid rate once it gets going, and faster, smarter computers and AI starts coming out, while producing weapons and other pieces of gear becomes faster and more streamlined than ever.

Does it really matter one way or the other? What's wrong with discussing ideas for new weapons?
Perhaps I misunderstood you, so many people have a "Buck Rogers" image of weaponry (hell, tech in general) in CP2077.

Guest 4149880

Suhiira;n9906021 said:
Perhaps I misunderstood you, so many people have a "Buck Rogers" image of weaponry (hell, tech in general) in CP2077.

In what aspect? Technology so far advanced, its more akin to intergalactic civilization?

Guest 4149880

Suhiira;n9906151 said:
That or what reminds me of a 1920's view of 2000, with robots and flying cars *grinz*.

The way people view how the tech is being used maybe, but not that fact its still exist in the world, just in a much different way then expected I suppose.

Top Bottom