Everything is fine

+
I wish CDPR had stayed true to the vision represented in the first teaser trailer back in 2013. It was much MORE gritty, like Blade Runner, Terminator or Deus Ex. The actual game feels tonally very similar to games like Far Cry, GTA or Watch Dogs 2, i.e. very colorful and bright.

From the gameplay weve seen it does look similar. That marketing emphasizes the fun side, but I think that's because everybody likes fun, and normally big marketing campaigns try to appeal to as large of a base as possible.

I wish CDPR had stayed true to the vision represented in the first teaser trailer back in 2013.

I had given up gaming for good because I was so dissatisfied with the hobby considering the time and money invested wasn't worth the payout... then I saw that original teaser trailer and bought a PS4. Since then after unknown amounts of hours and money spent, here I am still waiting for the game that caused me not to give up on my favorite pass time. I'm still hyped but its definitely not the same game I jumped back in for.

Dunno how people are saying the game isnt what was shown in 2013

What we got in 2013 was a title introduction with a cool scene of the NCPD and MaxTac intercepting a cyberpsycho mass murder. It was gritty, sure, but what makes people think Cyberpunk 2077 isn't gritty? The advertising sure focuses on a lot of color and action, but by no means is there a lack of grittiness. Homelessness and corporate abuse is rampant, the world is in ruins, a shadow of its former self, sex workers give their bodies to AI to be controlled for sex work, the NCPD are present at numerous crime scenes across the city where there have been murders and the like. Scavengers kill people for their cybernetics and harvest them and there's ruthless gangs who will kill anyone without a second thought.

It's gritty as fuck, but it's got that California coastal vibe mixed in, which Cyberpunk 2020 had in droves, too. It's got punk, but it's gritty. I really don't understand what people were expecting a game based on the 2013 video would be, given how little it truly showed us. We had a cyberpunk game revealed to us, and afaik, the game seems to be very true to the TTRPG it stems from.

Don't let all the colors and neon lights distract you from the actual gritty world you live in.

Sure, marketing might emphasize on this but if you look past the marketing angle at some of the scenes themselves and what they show of the world and take it out of the marketing context or presentational spin the scenes are given, then you get a different picture. Or should get one.

How? This can be as simple as mentally removing the hip hop or up-beat / rock music track that they put on a particular scene and if different scenes are shown in quick succession, try to imagine one particular scene on its own. You are there longer, there is no music influencing you, perhaps you witness something without music at all and just ambience sounds and other people talking, cheering, yelling, whatever they might be doing.

You basically need to take many shown scenes out of the trailer contexts and you get a different "mood".

The point is, I feel what we get to see will be actually "realistic" (within the universe of Cyberpunk of course) instead of a more artificial feeling "dark sci fi" future that is completely bleak in all facets of life. I am pretty sure even some of the perceived "quirky" scenes will feel a bit to a lot different without the trailer or marketing frame if viewed or witnessed on their own.

What I mean is that even with daylight and colors, many things that have color or quirky aspects would turn more grey, if that makes sense. You'll simply see more facets of society that don't all have to be visually dark, but yet remain dark or similar in context of the setting. It's perhaps also often a sort of "make-believe" blending world masking the actual grittiness behind it.

I'm perhaps currently bad at precisely expressing what I mean, or rather to convey the exact thoughts and emotions, but I have a feeling most people will notice down the line as they play and witness it themselves.

Perhaps in other words, I think it'll actually feel more like Deus Ex like it was compared to anyway, but with more colors - without being a semi-goofy or quirky GTA that is comedic in its approach in many cases.

TL;DR: Not always does it have to be dark and monochromatic to be gritty and I feel it would get kind of over-used or bland if only this style and approach was dominant.

Dunno how people are saying the game isnt what was shown in 2013

When I say gritty in this context I don't mean violence and gore, but rather the visual artistic representation of the world. The California setting is very generic in my opinion. I think it would've been more unique to go for a monochromatic visual palett, because it's so rare to see that in the the gaming space. The TT in 2013 at least gave us an impression that the artistic vision, in terms of setting and tone, aligned itself more closely with IP's like Ghost in The Shell, Blade Runner or Deus Ex, and not GTA, Far Cry or Watch Dogs.

I'm perhaps currently bad at precisely expressing what I mean, or rather to convey the exact thoughts and emotions, but I have a feeling most people will notice down the line as they play and witness it themselves.

TL;DR: Not always does it have to be dark and monochromatic to be gritty and I feel it would get kind of over-used or bland if only this style and approach was dominant.

I have the same problem in terms of expressing exactly what I mean, simply because subjectivity, i.e. feeling or intuition are very difficult to convey to another person, if not impossible. But as I already explained to another user the California setting can quickly become very generic, because we've seen it so many times before. Maybe my main concern is that the colorful California summer-vibe will permeate everything and make it feel like a more trivial or generic experience.

This really isn't a critique of the game, but simply an expression of my own personal preference. I am sure the game is going to be amazing fun and that I will enjoy it tremendously regardless of my concerns. We all have our favorite interpretation of a dark dystopian future, and I understand that this game is based upon MP's take on Cyberpunk, and I look forward to becoming more familiar with this particular vision of the future.

The more I think about this topic the more I ponder.

Back in 2012 when 2077 was revealed as the next CDPR IP project, in a small room with a small crowd they had thisup on the projector.
Capture.JPG

In January 2013, a teaser trailer was released and announced for PC
Pre-production began when CDPR finished Witcher 3 Blood and Wine DLC (2016), with like 50 people
June 2017, the preliminary designs were stolen and threatened to be released to the public.
2018 Pre-alpha shown at E3, gamescom etc and eventually to public.
E3 2018 PlayStation 4 and Xbox One announced as added to list of release platforms, E3 2019 the additional gameplay trailer and so forth with the addition of Keanu as Johnny Silverhand (Keanu himself said they only approached him in 2018) Announced release date.
CD Projekt Red partnered with Digital Scapes in October 2018 to craft additional tools.
then Nvidia in June 2019 to achieve ray tracing in real time.
and QLOC in January 2020 for quality assurance and Jali Research for the lip sync.

- So as CDPR ( I cant remember who atm, posted as much on twitter last delay) said lots of very last minute systems were tossed together late in development, literally only 2 years of development in its current states or current plans, not to mention the lip sync and ray tracing. Since Johnny became a co-protagonist and so forth with the story and dialog revolving around that, how much had to be changed to even fit that in.

Next gen consoles were only announced in 2019 and they had only just added the old ones in 2018. The game obviously has gone through several rewrites, revamps and direction changes in its development history..not that that is unusual for any iterative process. But the game overall has had only 2 full years of development in its current state. How much of the design from 2017 or 2016 still exists or was used at all?
Not the UI, lifepath or character sheet which can be seen from 2018 compared to the video just released, and with Johnny only being added as a co-protagonist in 2018 (at least with Keanu at the helm) what was the original plan and how much has changed just due to that.

But with the promise above plain as day....nothing more or less.

So
1. Yes they more than likely did this in spades just from what they have shown so far.
2. Remains to be seen, but also highly likely.
3. Probably as best as they could for a video game, still mixed on what they have done to the source mechanics myself.
4. No, sadly only 2 (roles) classes and mixed ability of the two does not a varied selection make no matter how many skills or abilities there are. Skills and perks are not classes.
5. Also seems so, probably way more than they have shown already but even the glimpse and teases have been very numerious more so in the recent clip of the cyberware equipment UI page and weapons trailer.
6. This remains to be seen on December 10th and...... beyond, because CDPR DLCs are usually crazy involved as well.

In the end many argue that the game has been in development for 8 years, when it has not been and it doesn't take much to find the facts that it hasn't been.
But from 2016 to 2018 there was at least that first bit to create that 48 minute gameplay trailer for E3 and playable pre-alpha that press played, then to now with the most recent gameplay and everything in between.

Enduring all the vitrol, the hate ..the spite, the jealousy...of the internets usual vocal minority. The fans giving views and likes as if they were candy at halloween. The crunch which of course everyone has hated and the internet took offense too, but literally won't care about till they hear the word next time (mostly).

Yet here we are , copies shipping....stores about to get their displays and so forth ready and the various other things that are going on as the day closes in.

Despite the release date delays (Which given that in 2017 when CPPR recieved funds from the Goverment to fund 2077, the release date was stated unofficially as 2019...) really doesn't matter in the end.

The promise above, the FIRST actual promise that could be controlled by CDPR has held up almost fully with one slight design changed the rest remains to be seen.

In the end it is only a game not life or death and really there are more important things in life

But everything is fine.....life goes on.

(Made you read a wall of text) :oops:

I sincerely doubt the game will be released on december 10 , I believe that it will be postponed to March or April 2021.

Your comment hasn't aged well, mate. LOL :LOL:

Keep your predictions to yourself next time, aight?

Your comment hasn't aged well, mate. LOL :LOL:

Keep your predictions to yourself next time, aight?
Well as far as everything goes right now March or April 2021 might be the date when the game is actually has most bugs fixed and is playable

Top Bottom