Everything We've Heard So Far About Cyberpunk 2077

+
Bloody well done mate! This thread is oozing with dedication :cool:
Thanks man! If anyone is interested I am open to anybody who wants suggest additions are corrections on the already completed sections.

Right now I'm planning on taking "the Net" section out of "It's a City of Dreams" and making a separate section for "Virtually There" on the net and netrunning. This will also allow a bit more info on factions in A City of Dreams. Sometimes I dislike the 10000 character limit.

Is that official?
Mike Pondsmith said it last year. It was during a more general explanation was of what "cool" meant ... so "keep your cool" instead of "that guy is cool!" Here's the actual article and quote:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/14/e3-2018-cyberpunk-2077-has-a-cool-stat-heres-what-it-does

“Most gun fights end because someone loses it and can't keep it together,” Pondsmith said, which he learned from speaking with a friend in the Rangers. “I wanted to get that sense of you project that you're together, you can keep it together.”

He went on to explain that “everything you've got is a statement,” and that while style is still important, how you carry yourself is too. “You’re wearing your big-ass armored jacket and you’re carrying your big-ass weapons, but it’s not just that. It’s that you looked badass doing it, and that people give you some respect on the street.”

Pondsmith also said that Cool isn’t just the Cyberpunk version of the more traditional RPG stat Charisma. “You can have a tremendous amount of cool and have very little charisma,” Pondsmith explained. Basically, there’s a difference between talking your way out of situations and just throwing off a vibe that commands respect.

As for Cool in Cyberpunk 2077, Pondsmith likened it to how CD Projekt has also adapted 2020’s Lifepath system. “They are all things that basically and subtly influence how people will see and perceive your character.”

Pondsmith says he believes it will also influence dialogue options, but didn’t share specific details on that. He spoke about the idea that people who might otherwise draw weapons on you when you walk in the door would not want to mess with a particularly cool character.

Unsurprisingly, when Cyberpunk 2020 first came out, Cool is similarly talked about. “People joked about [Cool]. At first, everybody built their Cool up.” It’s no different now with 2077, and I’m sure it won’t be long after release before we see an all Cool speedrun.

So the article was paraphrasing what he said, but that's the line.

Mike Pondsmith said it last year. It was during a more general explanation was of what "cool" meant ... so "keep your cool" instead of "that guy is cool!" Here's the actual article and quote:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/14/e3-2018-cyberpunk-2077-has-a-cool-stat-heres-what-it-does

So the article was paraphrasing what he said, but that's the line.

I knew that one.
I've become very word picky and seeing "believes" and "idea" automatically place it in the "not confirmed" info (for me at least).
I'm trying not to be burned again.

A couple things. I only had one at first but I'll read it thoroughly to see if there's anything else.

https://www.pcgamer.com/johnny-silv...backstory-makes-him-perfect-for-keanu-reeves/

It's very possible that PC Gamer mis-reported (happens to the best of 'em), but I think the situation with Johnny/Alt was a bit different than you described here.

Also, I don't believe this has been confirmed anywhere: "But if V decides to forego driving herself, there are other options in Night City, including taxis and NCART, the city's light rail service."

As a flavor statement in the context of 2020, it fits, but 2077, I don't think any Reds have been willing to comment on what sort of public transit will be available or how they will work.

EDIT: Oh, and this should go without saying, but great work! Thanks for all the effort.

The only correction I might have is regarding the Johnny Silverhand stuff.
Which Silverhand stuff? In the brief history?

Johnny showed up again in the final book for the Cyberpunk 2020 line, which was set in 2024 during the Fourth Corporate War. Johnny was out for revenge against Arasaka, having learned that Alt survived as an AI in their possession and was being forced to develop Soulkiller v3.0 for them. Once again Johnny led a team of Edgerunners into Arasaka territory, but was pinned down by their security forces, led by a cyborg named Adam Smasher.

Johnny threw himself at them as a distraction, allowing his team's netrunner, Spider Murphy, time to rescue Alt and send her out into the Net. Smasher shot Johnny with an autoshotgun, tearing him in half. Then, to cement the fact he was definitely dead, a nuclear weapon was detonated in the building, reducing it and a portion of Night City around it to radioactive rubble (something the city may still be dealing with in Cyberpunk 2077).
Isn't that what I said? The first bit (the short story Never Fade Away) I skipped over because 10000 characters sneaks up on you fast.
At the end of the story, most of the major NPC's (led by Johnny Silverhand) gained entrance to Arasaka Tower, assaulted the labs on the 120th floor, destroyed Soulkiller, and rescued Alt (who was consumed by Soulkiller) by uploading her into the net as a digital construct. However, the team was ambushed by Adam Smasher, who killed Silverhand, and hunted down the other members until he was confronted by Morgan Blackhand.

Simultaneously, another team made it's way to the Arasaka Database, trying to make a copy of it and then destroying it with a small tactical nuke. As Smasher and Blackhand fought in Arasaka tower, the tactical nuke exploded and the tower collapsed. Once it became clear that he had been defeated, Kei Arasaka detonated a nuke of his own resulting in a secondary, devastating explosion that destroyed the City Center of Night City.
Or did you mean some other part?

Also, I don't believe this has been confirmed anywhere: "But if V decides to forego driving herself, there are other options in Night City, including taxis and NCART, the city's light rail service."
RE Taxis - https://www.ign.com/videos/2019/06/...idden-details-in-new-trailer-ign-live-e3-2019 4:30ish into the video. NCART you can see in the demo, and V inside of in the E3 2018 trailer. + the Night City Metro Map. I suppose NCART could be not ride-able ... but IMO that seems very unlikely.

Last edited:
The style you pick for V will be important mechanically in the game. The clothes you choose to wear all have stats associated with them. Take for instance V's jacket in the E3 2018 demo. It had no visible "level" to the jacket, but did have several damage “resistances,” namely 30 resistance to physical, thermal, electrical and chemical damage. Also, the jacket increased V's “street cred” leveling speed by 5%. So style is more than just what you look like, it's important to how the game plays.

Marrying clothes of specific appearance with specific stats is almost 100% of the time a bad idea in game design. I'd rather CDPR didn't do it. The reason is that the player will be forced to choose between two bad choices (Do I want the stat boost or do I want a jacket that looks good) and will be disappointed no matter what. Visuals and style is important in its own right. there are games that build their endgame mainly around cosmetic improvements and for example skins that you spend real world money on in overwatch (40 million players) are 100% cosmetic. Yet they are enough to finance the game.

It's far better to detach the skin/appearance from stats.

The reason is that the player will be forced to choose between two bad choices (Do I want the stat boost or do I want a jacket that looks good) and will be disappointed no matter what.
I don't agree that's choosing between two bad choices. Choices should have consequences.

I don't agree that's choosing between two bad choices. Choices should have consequences.

This is a "glass is half empty or half full" question. The reality is that many people think "half empty". This is why majority of games that have gear with stats, separate visuals from the gear these days. You can choose the visuals separately. (Example at the very least my favorite game atm, AC:Odyssey) If visuals are separate, its impossible to be disappointed, best of both worlds.

Actually it's not a real choice/consequence, as the malus (having lesser stats) doesn't apply to players which tastes naturally match with the better stuff.

It would be a real choice/conscequence:
-If the "great looking low stats" stuff was great looking for every player and acknowledged by the game as such.
-If the "bad looking high stats" stuff was bad looking for every player and acknowledged by the game as such.

Friday Night Firefight is up.

This is a "glass is half empty or half full" question. The reality is that many people think "half empty".
Sure, but it's not the case that every the player is stuck with two bad choices, that premise is based on opinion.

It would be a real choice/conscequence:
-If the "great looking low stats" stuff was great looking for every player and acknowledged by the game as such.
-If the "bad looking high stats" stuff was bad looking for every player and acknowledged by the game as such.
But then that's the game telling you what is or is not stylish. I'd rather let the player make the choice if utility or style is more important to them (assuming the don't like the look of their best gear). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

Friday Night Firefight is up.

Sure, but it's not the case that every the player is stuck with two bad choices, that premise is based on opinion.

But then that's the game telling you what is or is not stylish. I'd rather let the player make the choice if utility or style is more important to them (assuming the don't like the look of their best gear). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

In the real world, you don't get magic stats from your armor. So since we're already in fantasy land, it may be preferable to have a cosmetic overlay. There is that "Style" menu, after all. Though the devs say they can't discuss how it works yet (but have confirmed it is still there).

Anyway, let's not de-rail Rawls' thread here.

Regarding what I said before, I spent some time trying to understand how to word what I perceived as differences, but I realize I was getting the two Johnny Silverhand/Alt Cunningham stories mixed up. Or maybe you updated your original post. Either way, I swear it seemed off to me, but now it looks fine. Probably my fault. :censored:

Regarding what I said before, I spent some time trying to understand how to word what I perceived as differences, but I realize I was getting the two Johnny Silverhand/Alt Cunningham stories mixed up. Or maybe you updated your original post. Either way, I swear it seemed off to me, but now it looks fine. Probably my fault. :censored:
No worries :). It's a somewhat confusing story told across 3 different source books. Which version of soulkiller is this now? Does digital ALT have free will? Wait, Johnny had TWO assaults on the same corp a decade apart? How many nukes were there again? How is there a digital copy of Johnny in 2077? I need a drink...

boots of speed.jpg

I don't understand why this is even a debate. Its not a question of opinion, rather the fact that everyone has their individual opinion on what looks good and what doesn't. Corollary: Randomly assigning stats to gear with different appearances will always produce a situation where player doesn't like what the gear looks like, but might want it for the stats. What gear looks like has zero ingame implications. Thats fully out-of-game, and I don't understand why you think mixing these is a good idea.

The industry standard (having a 'style' tab where you can choose the appearance for the item separately) simply has zero negatives. There will never be anyone who is annoyed by this choice, since no choice needs to be made. You can always choose your favorite appearance for the best item. I am pretty sure devs will go with this, because I don't think they are stupid. The game is intended to be enjoyable, why not choose the option that maxes out enjoyability and minimizes disappointment. Cold logic, no opinion involved.

Every single AAA-game I can think of right now does it like this, style separately. Wow, SWTOR, Assassins creed, GTA5, etc.

Last edited:
But then that's the game telling you what is or is not stylish.

Isn't it what is already planned anyway?
I think I read something along thoses lines somewhere.

I'd rather let the player make the choice if utility or style is more important to them (assuming the don't like the look of their best gear). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

Well, that means some player won't have to choose, where other don't.
Not that my dickgirl V cares anyway, I was just pointing that if it's really meant as a choice/conscequence it should be either for everyone or no one.

Top Bottom