Everything We've Heard So Far About Cyberpunk 2077

+
Alright. Everything updated. As always, if you have any suggestions for information to add or correct, let me know.

Updated It's a City of Dreams, And I’m a Big Dreamer, The Age of Braindance Decadence, We’ve Got a City to Burn, Tales From the Street, Putting the Cyber in Punk, Gear From the Streets, The Gift of Gab, and Soul and the New Machine, based on information from several sources over the past six weeks, including info on the music, V's apartment, the Night City Map, script size, how health regeneration works, details on the open world design, day-night cycle impacts, NCDP behavior, quest design, cyberware modifications, and etc. Thanks to @Shavod for continuing to be an excellent source of information revealed in Polish media and community events.

Guest 4406876

Too bad Cyberpsychos are considered game over in the videogame, You can actually play them in Cyberpunk 2020, or even fight against the demon if your character is pushed too far, and it's actually something interesting to have to deal with. A GM would never say "boom you're cyberpsycho go home game over". Also that would have been great to see actually in normal gameplay in cyberpunk2077 for the mere fact that is actually one of the most RPG features a player could think of. Dealing with your own limitations and allowing you to go over the edge, choices choices..but I guess not too much choices unfortunately.

Too bad Cyberpsychos are considered game over in the videogame, You can actually play them in Cyberpunk 2020, or even fight against the demon if your character is pushed too far, and it's actually something interesting to have to deal with. A GM would never say "boom you're cyberpsycho go home game over". Also that would have been great to see actually in normal gameplay in cyberpunk2077 for the mere fact that is actually one of the most RPG features a player could think of. Dealing with your own limitations and allowing you to go over the edge, choices choices..but I guess not too much choices unfortunately.
Local GMs (one of them wears blue collar) treat it as a game over as opposed to optional plot device, that;s all. Writing & recording those additional dialogs, setting the scenes and programming scripts costs money-money-money.

You can actually play them in Cyberpunk 2020, or even fight against the demon if your character is pushed too far, and it's actually something interesting to have to deal with. A GM would never say "boom you're cyberpsycho go home game over".

Nope and nope. Standard rules from the Corebook:

Cyberpsychosis.JPG

Note that you aren't "sane" at Emp 3 and less - you are about to be, or are mentally ill from the disease of technoshock. By 1, you are a violent sociopath.

But by 0, you are an incurable Cyberpsycho and your character is done. You cannot be saved at this point - that has to come before 0 Empathy. And that means getting shot/secured by the Squad, dragged in, unplugged, etc.

At 0, though, it's over.

Dunno where you guys are getting these rules, I guess homebrew? Which is fine, but Cyberpunk 2020 wants to make it very very clear - at 0 Empathy, you are done.

Guest 4406876

It is playable, by the referee, but i can assure you in 99% of cases nobody follows strictly the rules and , at least in my gaming group with a great GM as we had improvising all the time because we would break his plans every time ,he let us play the cyberpsychos, because everyone was very attached to their character. Still it's not a game over. All this because it was fun and unpredictable in the outcome. The same applied to Vampire the Masquerade, who's the GM that takes away a character from the player because "it's written in the rules that I have to play it"? If the player has good talent in handling the situation why not. Still it's a videogame in this case and they have to keep it in line, I get that. Or else it would become impossible to actually make it work. Unless we teach our PCs to be impredictable , improvising AI , that would be very cyberpunk XD.

PS: this is one of the reason our gm always let us play if Cyberpsycho, in order to make you play mostly against these hunting squads, or else it would be him against himself unless other players were playing particular characters which is often very unlikely if part of the same "party", effectively making this section useless from a gameplay RPG perspective (I own this book i hope I don't violate any rule by posting it, if so please let me know):
cpt.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually it's worst than that to implies that Cyberpsycho is the only problem coming from Cyberware. Before that you already are becoming less and less socially able, but that would implies an actual social system.

Guest 4406876

Actually it's worst than that to implies that Cyberpsycho is the only problem coming from Cyberware. Before that you already are becoming less and less socially able, but that would implies an actual social system.
That's exactly what i was implying with that little consideration. An RPG

7 sections updated. Will go back through again tomorrow to make more additions/corrections. Suggestions always welcomed.

Would be nice to have 100% clear confirmation that techie was removed from the game:
It's a fluid class system which means it's never been "I select techie, or netrunner or solo". The skills were just conceptualized and grouped according to those archetypes. According to Miles Tost on discord yesterday we still have techie-related skill checks in the game. The Tech stat, techie skills (crafting and engineering) and associated perks are still there too with exception of the Flathead control. My understanding is that the Flathead is no longer something that is controlled by V, apparently because they found it's uses redundant with other things V already could do herself.

Last edited:
do we know how many skills we have now?
Yeah it looks like 12 skills, 2 or 3 branching off from each of the five stat. Then there are between 19 and 30 perks options associated with each skill. So 250ish perks.

CHARACTER PROGRESSION
The character creation options we choose in character progression give benefits to the player. For instance, stats play a huge role in character progression. A stronger character with a high body stat and the appropriate cyberware installed can rip open locked doors with her bare hands. A higher cool stat makes it so that V's aim with guns is steadier during combat. These stats progress depending on whether you invest points in them, as well as if you install cyberware that improves them.

However stats also have another purpose, they act as gates to skill/perk progression. Skills and perks are separate mechanic systems that each provide ways to customize and improve V. For instance if your body stat is too low, you’ll eventually hit a wall in some melee skills/perks until you increase your body. If you get stuck, you’ll be able to respec attributes in some fashion, too. From what we've heard about in the 2019 demo, and a Twitter Post Regarding Stats & Skills last year, it sounds like skills will be broken up into twelve sections that improve as you use them. Skills are improved by successfully performing actions, or by installing Cyberware. The twelve skill categories that were reported.

Here are a few of the perks mentioned in one preview: having a rocket launcher for an arm; having no weapon sway or bullet spread for full, 10 second killing sprees; being gifted with 50% less shotgun recoil because you’ve dismembered somebody; receiving a cyberdeck memory regen speed that gives you God-like, Neo from The Matrix hacking abilities for a while.

The other progression systems (like stats and perks) are improved by leveling up and earning XP through the main quest, or street cred through side quests. XP is your traditional experience points like Geralt earned in the Witcher 3. Street cred is how is how V improves her reputation, which in turn gets more people interested in her services. The more you work on the streets, the more assignments you do, the more contracts you complete, as a merc, you gain a bigger name for yourself. This works both for gangs and for the other potential employers that you might get and results in unlocking new quest givers and vendors as you increase V's street cred. However, building up your street cred as a mercenary also has some drawbacks. Once V's name gets out there more she becomes more recognizable, that actually might be a detriment in some missions. People will recognize you and that's not always a good thing if you want to stay incognito. Separating main quest and side quest experience points is important to the balance of the game, because it will help ensure that V does not out level the main quest.

Once you earn these experience points, V can use them to invest in various perks that exist in a perk tree. The perks seemed to be organized so that they fit within the skill categories mentioned above. Each attribute has two-to-three perk trees which each have 20-30 different perks in them (so at least 240 perks total).

Last edited:
It's a fluid class system which means it's never been "I select techie, or netrunner or solo". The skills were just conceptualized and grouped according to those archetypes. According to Miles Tost on discord yesterday we still have techie-related skill checks in the game. The Tech stat, techie skills (crafting and engineering) and associated perks are still there too with exception of the Flathead control. My understanding is that the Flathead is no longer something that is controlled by V, apparently because they found it's uses redundant with other things V already could do herself.

Minus for some of us, not being doing things ourselves is actually the point, that's the reason why the "summoner" gameplay is popular in RPGs.

At least that confirm the Immersive sims direction of the game.

I hope that next game (if there is one) we'll get an even more RPGish game, with other things than combats being treated equally as combat, which would makes other Classes playable, as starting background choices totally could have been made for other classes, it's just that the game doesn't know how to give those character their edge with gameplay mostly focused on combat.

PS: why isn't that topic a sticky yet?

so it still looks like this? And any word about social skills? (intimidate / persuade) so far the dialog system looks really disappointing.
almost always only 2 dialog options :(

Screenshot_2019-11-14-12-45-50-1.png

so it still looks like this? And any word about social skills? (intimidate / persuade) so far the dialog system looks really disappointing.
almost always only 2 dialog options :(

A review said that the perk/skill tree had effectively doubled in size from the last time we saw it. I wouldnt be too worried.

Top Bottom