Evolution of Key Firearms in the Cyberpunk Timeline - Where to Next?

+
I actually really like how AK 47 was used in Elysium. It shows perfectly why things that work, doesn't change all that much. Thats the reason why knife is in usage for thousands of years. Few street level, low budget modifications, and you can turn good old Kalashnikov into droid killer.

Trouble is the 7.62x39mm is a fairly low penetration round due to the small powder charge and any droid would have inherent armor.

Trouble is the 7.62x39mm is a fairly low penetration round due to the small powder charge and any droid would have inherent armor.

Okay, A) compared to what in terms of powder load? The 5.56? Or the .50 cal? and B) why would a droid have inherent armour? I mean, I expect someone would armour them for combat, but how much? I expect infantry to be armored for combat, but apparently that's been too darn expensive for decades. Changing now, though.

Okay, A) compared to what in terms of powder load? The 5.56? Or the .50 cal? and B) why would a droid have inherent armour? I mean, I expect someone would armour them for combat, but how much? I expect infantry to be armored for combat, but apparently that's been too darn expensive for decades. Changing now, though.

Compared to other rifle caliber rounds. The 7.62x39mm is a GREAT round vs unarmored targets at moderate ranges (up to say 300m) but at longer ranges or vs anything but lightly armored targets (say anything better then a Vietnam era flack jacket) their limitations quickly show. That's one of the reasons the Soviets/Russians adopted a new cartridge.

While hardly 100% certain a droids outer shell is probably harder to penetrate then skin. And it's inner structure isn't subject to hydrostatic shock (since it doesn't have blood), and while not "armor" per-say the net result is much the same, harder to damage then a human.

But you can't use current knowlage about Kalashnikow's 7.62x39mm ammo, cause it's not the one used in films. I mean, 7.62x39mm doesn't explode on impact like in gif above. Add this weird SF thingy on the barrel, so...

You can't use ANYTHING from most films.

You know what I mean. :p

One thing, that surprised me most, when I fired modified AK 47 (kbk AK-MS) for the first time, was not recoil, or weight, but how loud this god damn piece of metal was. Still can't see myself using it without earplug.

I loved my M-14 personally, loud, I suppose but I could reliably hit at range and didn't have to worry about if my target was going to go down.

I loved my M-14 personally, loud, I suppose but I could reliably hit at range and didn't have to worry about if my target was going to go down.

You're..you're so OLD. M-14. Pfff.

I found .308/7.62 to be pretty reliable as a penetrator at 200 yards plus, at least compared to 5.56 or 30-30. i'd rather knock down an animal with .308 than 5.56 - although .303 is even nicer.

Top Bottom