Executioner ability (how do you get it?)

+
Executioner ability (how do you get it?)

I've posted about this on a few boards and gotten no conclusive answer. I got one detailed explanation of how one person got it, but I could not replicate their results (meaning, I still didn't get the ability). I can't find any detailed, specific information on who I have to kill in the game to get the ability.

Here are the paths I've followed (and NOT gotten the ability):

***Massive spoilers follow if that isn't obvious...

1. Killed Malena in the ruins, let the ghost take Rupert and Gridley, let the spirits kill Mavrick, killed Adam Pangratt, and let Roche kill Henselt.
2. As above, but didn't kill Mavrick
3. As in 2, but also considered Vencel's fate in Smell of Incense, and made sure to kill him and his crew.

And as you realize, this means I've had to play through a lot of the game a few times (and my first playthrough I didn't even include b/c I didn't know about the ability). So, I'm bursting with confusion. Maybe here I can get some clarification.

Does Vencel Pugg and the Smell of Incense quest even factor in at all?
Does it matter that in all playthroughs I've let Aryan LaValette live?
Does Mavrick have to die or not?
Does it matter if I kill Malena by my own hand or can I simply reveal her for a liar and turn her over to the guards?

I'd really love a walkthrough for getting this ability. Thanks.

I checked the Wiki and it seems that the Wiki authors weren't completely certain either. Here's what it says:

Seems you might have to kill at least three guilty npcs (Malena, Gridley & Rupert,Adam Pangratt and maybe Mavrick) AND let Roche kill Henselt.

(Roche's path) at the end of Chapter 2.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Character_attributes#Abilities

Edit: I reread your post and it sounds like you already had most of those people die. Perhaps you have to kill the people directly yourself instead of letting the ghosts have them.

WardDragon said:
I checked the Wiki and it seems that the Wiki authors weren't completely certain either. Here's what it says:

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Character_attributes#Abilities

Exactly - and based on their info, I should have gotten the ability, but again there are details to these situations - take Malena for example - she can go with the guards through two different routes (both of which presumably lead to her death), but does this count as me killing her? Ugh. I am more stressed out by this than I should be - it's supposed to be fun, not frustrating, y'know?

Greywulf said:
Exactly - and based on their info, I should have gotten the ability, but again there are details to these situations - take Malena for example - she can go with the guards through two different routes (both of which presumably lead to her death), but does this count as me killing her? Ugh. I am more stressed out by this than I should be - it's supposed to be fun, not frustrating, y'know?

Personally I'm not too worried about gaining these abilities, but if you really want to try one more time then my best guess would be to kill them all directly yourself instead of letting other people/ghosts kill them.

WardDragon said:
Personally I'm not too worried about gaining these abilities, but if you really want to try one more time then my best guess would be to kill them all directly yourself instead of letting other people/ghosts kill them.

I thought so as well - but there is no direct way to kill Rupert and Gridley directly - it seems to be the ghost gets them or they go their own way unharmed. And obviously, there's no way for Geralt to kill Henselt directly either.

Heh-heh. And as for my worry level, I have to play it through perfect. I can't have missed out on something that I could have had - imagine all the farming I've done to acquire mutagens...

Greywulf said:
I thought so as well - but there is no direct way to kill Rupert and Gridley directly - it seems to be the ghost gets them or they go their own way unharmed. And obviously, there's no way for Geralt to kill Henselt directly either.

Can you just pull out your sword and attack them? The Wiki says it's possible to kill them (mentions looting a diagram off of one of them) but doesn't specifically say how.

And yeah, the Wiki says to let Roche kill Henselt.

Greywulf said:
Heh-heh. And as for my worry level, I have to play it through perfect. I can't have missed out on something that I could have had - imagine all the farming I've done to acquire mutagens...

You have far more patience than I do :p

You should also let the guards burn the villagers alive in the first level in the quest woe to the vanquished.You can also kill random villagers in some of the towns I think.

WardDragon said:
Can you just pull out your sword and attack them? The Wiki says it's possible to kill them (mentions looting a diagram off of one of them) but doesn't specifically say how.

And yeah, the Wiki says to let Roche kill Henselt.

You have far more patience than I do :p
I don't know about personally killing Rupert & Gridly, but you can loot the bodies after the Spirit is done with them and get that stuff. At least I was able to.

Got it!

...I had to replay all the way from the prologue and kill Aryan LaValette in order to get the executioner ability. And then, over the course of the next 2 acts, you must kill Adam Pangratt, let Roche kill Henselt, let the ghost kill Rupert and Gridley, and, at least in my playthrough, kill Malena personally by lying to the guards and letting her lead me into her trap. I also killed Vencel Pugg, but I cannot say for sure that this matters. Perhaps he is an option if you didn't kill Rupe and Grid or Malena. Importantly for me is knowing that you do not have to kill Mavrick (as suggested on the wiki) b/c this fails that quest, and that would have stunk.

So the tradeoff here is that you will sacrifice the Strong Back ability from carrying Aryan out of prison, but you will have the opportunity to get the executioner ability.

Lotsa thanks to LenSquig on the GOG boards for his help - I would've never backtracked far enough to solve this one on my own. Thanks, man!

Greywulf said:
Got it!

...I had to replay all the way from the prologue and kill Aryan LaValette in order to get the executioner ability. And then, over the course of the next 2 acts, you must kill Adam Pangratt, let Roche kill Henselt, let the ghost kill Rupert and Gridley, and, at least in my playthrough, kill Malena personally by lying to the guards and letting her lead me into her trap. I also killed Vencel Pugg, but I cannot say for sure that this matters. Perhaps he is an option if you didn't kill Rupe and Grid or Malena. Importantly for me is knowing that you do not have to kill Mavrick (as suggested on the wiki) b/c this fails that quest, and that would have stunk.

So the tradeoff here is that you will sacrifice the Strong Back ability from carrying Aryan out of prison, but you will have the opportunity to get the executioner ability.

Lotsa thanks to LenSquig on the GOG boards for his help - I would've never backtracked far enough to solve this one on my own. Thanks, man!

Please - Can you put this save-game to any host and give link for download this save-game to look on this?!

Top Bottom