Expansion Cards Always Too Strong

+
All the new cards in expansion are so strong.
Expansions doesn't mean it makes other previous decks obsolete.
It should add to the game, not replace it.
It should "Expand" the game. Not substitute all the other cards.

Devs.

New card/expansion doesn't mean it has to be the top 3 meta... (or in expansion.. be all of top 10)
It doesn't! Sure they can be good, but not EVERY card has to be "super strong."
Please practice SOME RESTRAINT with the new cards.
It's like.. you guys got reallllyyyy excited and just was like.. "naw.. not strong enough. lets add a bit more POWER, MAKE IT EVEN STRONGER HEHEHE."

Let's look at Kolgrim... It's almost... the devs worked on it half way.. then forgot to put some restraints on it.. it's like an oil well, but no cap once it's placed. +10 everyround if not killed. Why not just make it "order" unit... or melee: .. or only on deploy, not every round... or... you get my point.

Let's look at Gezras of Lydia... mm do I have to explain... Same concept as Kolgrim. Endless points if not killed. not +2 every round. I'm talking about +10 every round.

Lets look at Keldar, a unit that costs 9 provision. Same concept as above.. endless points if not killed.. +4 -6 every round...
It creates a 2 witcher adept every round at adrenaline 4.
It has Resupply. which creates a witcher adept as well.
It's a 4 1 armor card.
with the->
The griffen whicher adept is a 4 provision card.
It transforms another card as itself AND gives it shield.

Viy... That's been talked about too much in other posts..

Basically here's my point.
Expansions doesn't mean it makes other previous decks obsolete.
It should add to the game, not replace it.
It should "Expand" the game. Not substitute all the other cards.

Here are my suggestions.
Nerf ALL the expansion cards... really tone them down a bit..
Think before releasing.. People are really starting to get frustrated.
Do more artifacts and traps. Tap into those cards, those are some great concepts.
(Poor Wyvern Scale Shield.. I've never seen it played.. EVER.. poor baby T.T... )

But see, people can't really "play' with other cards, when the meta... is just too strong, and too simple to build.

Don't become EA. Don't become Blizzard Entertainment.
What made Blizzard great was it thought about quality before money making. They didn't have to. People loved the game. Blizzard grew it's fan base.
Ask yourself. Are you GROWING your fanbase? Or is your fanbase shrinking? Are they leaving the game out of frustration?
Why make expansions... when it produces a result of more people leaving because of it? Isn't that a waste of time and resources? Isn't the point of an expansion to have more people play the game, love the company, ... and of course spend more money.

This happens in every card game and is something normal.
It is also desirable in the regard that an expansion thus shakes up the meta.
The following balance changes should then adjust some over the over-/underpowered cards.

If you look at the meta you will still find Shield Wall, Warriors, Lippy, Carapace, Nature's Gift, Elves and Ball centered NG decks from the previous format, those decks may have added a few new cards, however in principle still function the same way as before.

If anything this expansion does not fit your description of "It should add to the game, not replace it.".
Some of the largest changes actully come from the balance changes done to NG, making several older cards viable (e.g. Alba Armored Cavalry).

I agree with op to a point.. I do think some of the new cards mentioned (I would include cat witcher) are too strong for what they cost and the amount of setup required to get maximum value, which is basically none. I think the way they implemented adrenaline is the real problem. It should only be based on the cards on hand at the time the card is played. Adrenaline should not have been integrated into "fire and forget" engines, imo.

I disagree that it has replaced the entire game... True you see the cards added to a lot of existing decks, but those decks are mostly still what they always were... They just have another BS "finisher" now that they didn't have before.

Guest 4375874

I agree with op to a point.. I do think some of the new cards mentioned (I would include cat witcher) are too strong for what they cost and the amount of setup required to get maximum value, which is basically none. I think the way they implemented adrenaline is the real problem. It should only be based on the cards on hand at the time the card is played. Adrenaline should not have been integrated into "fire and forget" engines, imo.

I disagree that it has replaced the entire game... True you see the cards added to a lot of existing decks, but those decks are mostly still what they always were... They just have another BS "finisher" now that they didn't have before.
it's nowhere near that simple. One card can add consistency to several other cards....echo cards for example, one of the other regrettable additions to the game. Decks with Oneiromancy aren't "what they always were". There's little to no risk when you can draw whatever you need when you need it and that works for or against you depending on the faction. A tutor heavy deck like NG for example doesn't even need it and so while others have to make the sacrifice to use it because that's the only way to win, NG doesn't have to. This means devotion decks are all but dead for almost all factions but not others which goes back to what he was saying initially.

Decks with Oneiromancy aren't "what they always were". There's little to no risk when you can draw whatever you need when you need it and that works for or against you depending on the faction.
I believe you are aware though why cards like Oneiromancy and improved tutors (especially Amphibious assault) were added to the game - endless complaints on forums and reddit that success in the game boils down to who is lucky to draw their best cards. Hell, even nowadays you see people demanding to be less reliant on draws.
These tutors were aimed to solve exactly this - ensure that you are able to play your most efficient cards at your decision, or at least significantly increase the chances you are able to.
If anything, this came as a fan-service, though as times pass people generously keep forgetting things like this.

As long as the power level between certain golds and the rest of the cards is as huge as it is today, demand will be high for tutors and other ways to play them.

This means devotion decks are all but dead for almost all factions but not others which goes back to what he was saying initially.
Almost all factions is not simply a hyperbole, but almost totally false. They are working just fine for SK, SC, NR and for NG. Before the latest expansion, one of the best decks out there was a devotion SY Congregate build. Thinking about it, they are pretty good for almost everything except MO.

This is literally another Arnaghad situation. An ultra-greedy card gets announced, everyone goes ape, then it's released and surprise it's an ultra-greedy card that requires zero tall removal and no locks from the opponent to find value

Top Bottom