Expansion hype?

+
Before CC there were daily reveals, special leaks given to content creators as a reward for cooperating with Gwent. I was not around for the next three expansions so I don’t know the drill very well. That said, we have no advertising, no official release date, no card reveals, far as I can tell no official website for the expansion, and basically no evidence outside of the dev stream. This may be a function of Covid, but it doesn’t seem likely that an expansion is coming next month. Does anyone who watched the stream have any insight or details they can share?

That said, we have no advertising, no official release date, no card reveals, far as I can tell no official website for the expansion, and basically no evidence outside of the dev stream.

We've had a (mini-)expansion drop before with only a few days warning. Because of this, you cannot really make any assumptions.

There was a post on Reddit which said they would do an advertising campaign this time. Not sure how reliable that is, but still.
In any case of they are going to do something I assume it's going to be late this month.
I hope they get the expansion out by early June though. Another month of stale meta would be unbearable

DRK3

Forum veteran
I think this time, they will announce the expansion 15-30 days before its release, maybe they announce it late this month, and release it at the end of June, like the Novigrad update last year.

just speculation but perhaps the lack of details and advertising for the next expansion may have been affected by the Coronavirus outbreak.
I have no idea whether the outbreak has significantly affected cdpr’s hq and whatnot

Guest 4368268

If I had to guess, it's coming end of June and will start being promoted from the beginning of the next season onwards.

If I had to guess, it's coming end of June and will start being promoted from the beginning of the next season onwards.

You shouldn’t have to guess. In the old days they gave firm dates and missed them. Now they seem to be avoiding giving out info so they cannot fail again. I get that Covid is mucking things up, but the devs should be communicating with the players. We should have a firm release window, details on new tags, and a roadmap of plans for the game for the rest of the year.

I'd like to share a thought, but I'm not sure if my reasoning is legittimate here.

Assumption #1: they scheduled expansions ahead of time
Fact: we will have an expansion in Winter and last Winter month remaining is December
Fact: Merchant of Ofir was a surprise release in December of last year
Assumption #2: MoO didn't leave them enough time to start making the expansion in 2019
Fact: year is made of 12 months
Assumption #3: they assigned the same amount of time to prepare both expansions

Conclusion: release of the expansion in the middle of the year (June)

What do you think?

DRK3

Forum veteran
The hype for me at least, comes from how bored i feel about the current state of the game, there isnt anything new to try, even the new leader abilities didnt bring out that much in gameplay.

I even stopped spending RPs and buying kegs, no reason to do, might as well spend them when something new arrives.

And im one of those that suggested the dev team should focus more on balancing than in making expansions, but that was on 2019, when expansions hit at an incredible rate, this year its been so slow (and i know, COVID and all...) that we just need new content desperately to shake things up a bit...
And hopefully get rid of this poison meta, otherwise 2020 in Gwent wont be year of the wererat but year of the poison. :facepalm:

So will there be a new expansion this summer? Because i am saving my ores for a long time. I want to craft my missing cards though. If expansion is delayed somehow, i want to know it. But devs have weak relationship with community. They even share details regarding new patch after few hours the patches got released. Please don't blame covid, all these stuff can be done online easily. They are not making physical work at all. They should be more open to players.

So will there be a new expansion this summer? Because i am saving my ores for a long time. I want to craft my missing cards though. If expansion is delayed somehow, i want to know it. But devs have weak relationship with community. They even share details regarding new patch after few hours the patches got released. Please don't blame covid, all these stuff can be done online easily. They are not making physical work at all. They should be more open to players.
The next expansion is probably going to be revealed during the tournament (30. - 31. 5.). It should get released in June or early July, or maybe even mid-June. But there are no official informations.

Before CC there were daily reveals, special leaks given to content creators as a reward for cooperating with Gwent. I was not around for the next three expansions so I don’t know the drill very well. That said, we have no advertising, no official release date, no card reveals, far as I can tell no official website for the expansion, and basically no evidence outside of the dev stream. This may be a function of Covid, but it doesn’t seem likely that an expansion is coming next month. Does anyone who watched the stream have any insight or details they can share?

Alot of players would seemingly be happy also if current cards changed enough to make the game interesting again. There is alot of room to do this since the game has changed so much the last year. Alot of cards are either too bad or too good.

However, the probability is there will be an expansion during the summer. About 90 cards in total where 72 of the cards can be selected in the deck builder.

Guest 4368268

I hope this expansion introduces some creative and strong ways to create points rather than trying to take away/avoid your opponents'. Please, no more crazy removal cards. Having 50% or more of my opponents deck revolve around trying to sabotage whatever I'm doing is really making the game feel tedious.

I hope this expansion introduces some creative and strong ways to create points rather than trying to take away/avoid your opponents'. Please, no more crazy removal cards. Having 50% or more of my opponents deck revolve around trying to sabotage whatever I'm doing is really making the game feel tedious.

I hear you but I disagree. Defense is essential to Gwent or the game literally becomes overrun by engines. In that system it becomes who plays the best point generating faction and who draws the best cards. I would be up for less binary removal like poison, but only if there was a trade off like a neutral Cahir type card or something that makes an opponent take x damage every time any of their cards get a boost (I am thinking two damage any time any boost of any value is given. Could be an artifact.)

Guest 4368268

I hear you but I disagree. Defense is essential to Gwent or the game literally becomes overrun by engines. In that system it becomes who plays the best point generating faction and who draws the best cards. I would be up for less binary removal like poison, but only if there was a trade off like a neutral Cahir type card or something that makes an opponent take x damage every time any of their cards get a boost (I am thinking two damage any time any boost of any value is given. Could be an artifact.)
I won't argue with that, I don't want it to be but a point vomiting festival where neither side cares about what the other person is doing. It's just skewed way too much towards control atm. I think Gwent's at its best if both sides try to build their own sandcastle and have to time and think carefully about when and how to utilize their removal. Making control significantly more expensive than boosts should do the trick.

DRK3

Forum veteran
What we know from official sources: two Gwent expansions planned for 2020, one in the summer one in the winter.
The first one wont bring new scenarios but it probably will bring support to existing archetypes.

What we can infer: Summer lasts from 21st June to 21st September (or close to that), but people in entertainment media tend to "make" Summer start earlier, for example some marvel movies are considered summer blockbusters and they're released at end of April, also when they say Summer it never means September, but early June is game... :shrug:

The expansion could come in August, but players would be too pissed off waiting so long for new content, besides they've already started talking about it, even know the exact number of cards it will contain, so its more likely an early summer release (June or early July) than a late one.

Top Bottom