Expansion says "unique relationship"

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Geralt is not gay, and he should remain as such.

Wait, you mean I've been role-playing the character of Geralt incorrectly this entire time? Now I have to totally rethink that scene with the dwarf.

All deflecting jokes aside, ungrudging acceptance and equal, realistic representation of all sexual orientations, and identifications in various media is a noble and commendable goal, which would bring Humanity another step nearer to overcoming its internal prejudices and fears; and thereby advancing towards a more civilised, enlightened, tolerant, and unified people. With this admission, and the admission that we, as a people, still have a ways to go in pursuit of such fair and unbiased representations, comes the reality that, as many others have remarked before now, Geralt of Rivia is not the most ideal, nor the most flexible candidate for such endeavours. The creation of new characters, rather than well-established ones, with histories and personalities all their own, would serve this cause far better, and more naturally.

Is this finally fanservice not strictly tailored to straight males?

Please, leave us be. I know it is more progressive to steer away from the standard white straight male power fantasy... but you know what? Sometimes it is good to give in to it. Bioware is addressing the whole range of sexual preferences in their games, you can go there to find your fix of LGBTIQ people. In Dragon age three they didn't leave out any letter of that acronym.

Is this finally fanservice not strictly tailored to straight males?

I do not think they meant it would be unique in that way. Most likely it refers to Shani, and calling it a "unique relationship" is better for marketing.

All deflecting jokes aside, ungrudging acceptance and equal, realistic representation of all sexual orientations, and identifications in various media is a noble and commendable goal, which would bring Humanity another step nearer to overcoming its internal prejudices and fears; and thereby advancing towards a more civilised, enlightened, tolerant, and unified people. With this admission, and the admission that we, as a people, still have a ways to go in pursuit of such fair and unbiased representations, comes the reality that, as many others have remarked before now, Geralt of Rivia is not the most ideal, nor the most flexible candidate for such endeavours. The creation of new characters, rather than well-established ones, with histories and personalities all their own, would serve this cause far better, and more naturally.

You are aware that in the late 80'ies/early 90'ies "humanity" (ie. western society) was already on the best way to get rid of racism, homophobia and many of the other unproductive and childish crap, plaguing modern society, and that American social scientists with their political correctness where one of the major factors that dragged that shite back into the limelight, rekindling discussions earlier generations already had. Are there still issues? Sure, but if you think for one second that injecting social agendas into art and entertainment will get rid of them, then think again. The only reason why this discussions are going on these days is: Money, since gaming is a multi billion dollar market, which many factions and individuals try to control and take advantage of.

You are aware that in the late 80'ies/early 90'ies "humanity" (ie. western society) was already on the best way to get rid of racism, homophobia and many of the other unproductive and childish crap, plaguing modern society, and that American social scientists with their political correctness where one of the major factors that dragged that shite back into the limelight, rekindling discussions earlier generations already had. Are there still issues? Sure, but if you think for one second that injecting social agendas into art and entertainment will get rid of them, then think again. The only reason why this discussions are going on these days is: Money, since gaming is a multi billion dollar market, which many factions and individuals try to control and take advantage of.

I merely remarked that the ideal goal of human equality is a fine thing. The current reality, and the present methods of pursuing that ideal leave much to be desired. Social agendas, inserted into entertainment, merely for the sake of political correctness aren't always the most productive, or effective approach. (As an aside, there seems a disproportionately large emphasis of importance placed upon human sexuality and sexual activity, regardless of preference, in society at large. Ultimately, it is by no means the most urgent, or threatening issue facing Humanity's survival and coexistence, today.) However, I've made my comment on the topic, and, since I'm not looking for an argument, nor wish to make a larger issue of this than it already is, I'll return to my jokes.

Last edited:
I don´t have anything against gay things but in this game you play as Geralt - straight man who enjoys boobies, and if CDPR would turn him into a gay, probably all the hardcore fans would riot, so just dont think about it. I don´t care it they would include this option in Cyberpunk for example but not here.

I cant believe that guy said... "I got tired of looking at 90 pairs of tits..."

.....where is picard when you need him??

Still, it's far better then anything BioWare came up with... I mean: Thedas may be a dark fantasy world full of superstition and racism, but being a homosexual or trans is a-ok... right? Or, commander Sheppard may (implied to) be straight for two games, but he can "decide" to be gay in the third one and that's absolutely believable... I mean, it's a decision after all, isn't it?

Well I did not mention Mass Effect, I mentioned DAI as a good choice if you want a game with gay romances as it has no previous games in the series that shape the protagonist. In Mass Effect you can just reject all female advances from the beginning, you don't have to start a relationship, but it does come out of no where I agree.

Geralt on the other hand is an established character based on books, and the story from the books is very important to the lore of the games. If how Bioware does their romance stuff is believable is subjective, at times I like their romance stories and at other times they are not good. I don't have anything against gay romances at all, to each their own. But I don't see that fit at all with Geralt. Would be like making James Bond gay, would not fit the character.

I actually won't be surprised by Geralt going gay.
Hating all womenkind and jumping ships would be the ultimate outcome of a long term relationship with Yen, and Geralt had it long time coming.

I merely remarked that the ideal goal of human equality is a fine thing. The current reality, and the present methods of pursuing that ideal leave much to be desired. Social agendas, inserted into entertainment, merely for the sake of political correctness aren't always the most productive, or effective approach. (As an aside, there seems a disproportionately large emphasis of importance placed upon human sexuality and sexual activity, regardless of preference, in society at large. Ultimately, it is by no means the most urgent, or threatening issue facing Humanity's survival and coexistence, today.) However, I've made my comment on the topic, and, since I'm not looking for an argument, nor wish to make a larger issue of this than it already is, I'll return to my jokes.

Didn't want to stub your nose there, sorry. ;)

You are, of course right... the strong emphasis on "sensitive topics" in today's society is explained quite simply, though: It's the easiest way to garner attention and generate outrage from the, dare I say, superficial masses, to produce all manner of effects, be it popularity of certain people, political power, financial success, etc. Not many of these ploys have any real value or lasting effect, of course...

Anyhu... rant over. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom