Expansions - Before or After the main game?

+
Expansions - Before or After the main game?

Hi, guys.
I started the playing the game a couple of days ago and I was wondering, should I install the expansions (the first one, the second when it's available) right now, or wait for after I finish the main game?
I've had similar situations with other RPGs and noticed that expansions usually have some high quality gear that kind of overpowers my character and ruins the challenge for the late game stages. Also story integration is sometimes off, if I install them before finishing the game.
Thank you.

Storywise I suggest:

Play main game until act 3 (after bold mountain quest). Then start hearts of stone and finish it. Finish the main game story. And then start BaW (as a conclusion).

Gameplay wise:

Finish main game, finish hearts of stone and afterwards BaW

Hi, guys.
I started the playing the game a couple of days ago and I was wondering, should I install the expansions (the first one, the second when it's available) right now, or wait for after I finish the main game?
I've had similar situations with other RPGs and noticed that expansions usually have some high quality gear that kind of overpowers my character and ruins the challenge for the late game stages. Also story integration is sometimes off, if I install them before finishing the game.
Thank you.

I would say install both asap. IMO HoS is best played during main quest (I prefer to play it during the main quest "Brothers in Arms"). I haven't played B&W yet obviously, so I can't really tell you when it's best to play. My hunch is that I will prefer to play that as another late game expansion (but before end game). The epilogues to the main story are so good that they really ought to be the end of the game IMO. B&W could change my mind, but if I had to guess, this would be my answer.

I prefer playing Hearts of Stone before going to Skellige with the crew. Gives you a nice boost in terms of levels and stats. However I regret that it is not a proper after game DLC because that means it doesn't necessarily fit into the game that well. The Weapons are nice and will help you mightily in the endgame BUT the story itself doesn't really lend itself to playing it before finishing the main story since you simply don't believe Geralt would take that much time for a wedding and a demon and what not when at the same time Ciri is in danger and needs help.

Blood and Wine definitely seems like an after main game DLC to me for similar reasons.

Top Bottom