Expansions causing fps loss

+
Hello, I came here because I'm having a weird 10 fps loss when playing the switched 3 dlcs.
My computer is below the minimum requirements, but I managed to play the whole base game with an average of 25 fps thanks to a program called BES and a mod to limit fps. So I uninstalled the game and reinstalled now that I bought the docs. I loaded the save after the ending and started the Hearts of Stone doc, and saw the fps drop. When I load an older save, or start a new game, my fps is the normal 25. but when I load the dlc it drops to 11-15.
I'm asking this here because I can't create a thread yet.

EDIT: When I fast traveled to Novigrad the frames went to 18-20. Then I fast traveled again to some random area on the map and the fps returned to 25. So the problem is that the new areas, for some reason, are more demanding on the computer. Does anyone know how to solve this?

Last edited:
First of all, it's always good to mention your PC specs first (CPU, GPU, Ram...).

As far as I know, the DLC's don't really affect the vanilla version that much, but some regions in TW3 can be more demanding than others.

Personally, I would suggest rolling back to a much older GPU graphic driver version. Older ones might be better optimized for the game which might help your computer.

It's also a good idea to close every non-essential background application. Maybe even your antivirus software. In case you are using other mods as well, that can also cause problems. I have no experience with BES and the mod you mentioned.

And don't forget to lower as much in the settings as you can. Lowering the resolution can also help a great deal.

First of all, it's always good to mention your PC specs first (CPU, GPU, Ram...).

As far as I know, the DLC's don't really affect the vanilla version that much, but some regions in TW3 can be more demanding than others.

Personally, I would suggest rolling back to a much older GPU graphic driver version. Older ones might be better optimized for the game which might help your computer.

It's also a good idea to close every non-essential background application. Maybe even your antivirus software. In case you are using other mods as well, that can also cause problems. I have no experience with BES and the mod you mentioned.

And don't forget to lower as much in the settings as you can. Lowering the resolution can also help a great deal.
Those tips could help with common performance problems, but this affects specifically the dlc content. Same drives, same hardware. I don't even change the save, simply using the contents of the dlc causes drop in fps.
Post automatically merged:

I started Blood and Wine to see if it was also affecting the performance.
For those who don't remember it starts with a fight against common bandits in a small village still in the map of the base game.
I fast traveled to the village, was having 25 fps until I entered the house and the cutscene began. The fps dropped to 17.
During the fight, I was getting around 14.
The cutscenes after that were all around 15-18 fps. the fight with the goliath gave me around 15.

This problem is very weird. it seems like just using the dlc content, areas, enemies, NPCs, cause fps drops.

Last edited:
I would not dismiss those tips. It's still a performance problem on your end, even if it may be caused by the DLCs for some reason.

The only other reason I can think of why the DLCs would have an effect in your case is that maybe the game requires more RAM due to the larger region. If your PC doesn't have that, it might struggle (just a theory, I haven‘t observed this problem myself).

Or the problem is caused by BES or the mod you mentioned. Maybe it's struggling with the DLCs for some reason.

I don't think there's much else you can do. And again, if your PC doesn't meet the minimum requirements, certain issues are to be expected along the way, unfortunately.

It's really not a wise move to play games on systems that do not meet minimum specs. Basically, min specs ensure that, even if the system struggles, it will be able to work through whatever processing the game needs while maintaining overhead to ensure stability. If one runs a program that exceeds the hardware specifications, it's very possible to suffer from stability issues, weird glitches in the game, or in extreme cases, file system errors or even hardware damage if the PC gets pushed too far past its capabilities.

Hence, any performance issues you're seeing could be the result of any number of things not running as designed. The DLC will load more into RAM (on top of the base game) and in several places will be overriding the files of the base game, "modifying" them in real-time to handle things the way the DLC wants instead. This creates layers that are processed on top of what the base game is already doing. That's likely why you're seeing a universal performance loss.

In the end, I'd really recommend not pushing your system too hard. Especially if you start seeing massive hanging or crashing, I'd play something else. If damage is going to occur, there likley won't be any warning.

I'm experiencing the exact same thing. Once the main game ended and Blood and Wine started, I noticed about a 10 fps drop as well. My system exceeds the recommended requirements so that may not be the issue.

I'm experiencing the exact same thing. Once the main game ended and Blood and Wine started, I noticed about a 10 fps drop as well. My system exceeds the recommended requirements so that may not be the issue.
We don't have crystall ball, just write what is ur PC specification... otherway nobody can help you.

Top Bottom