Experimenting with baseline consume...

+
Experimenting with baseline consume...

I've recently been trying to make the basic consume version (no nekker spam) work and I ended up with this list:

Kayran
Woodland Spirit
Ge'els
Whispess: Tribute

Maerolorn
Frightener
Giant Toad
Ozzrel
Mandrake
Monster's Nest

3x Nekker
3x Celaeno Harpy
3x Harpy
3x Forktail
2x Slyzard
1x Foglet

I know there was a similar list somewhere, but it had Arachasae Behemoths if I recall. I saw it a couple of times at the start of Midwinter, when everyone thought Nekkers were dead because there was no carryover. I tried that version and it doesn't really work, because of too many bronzes. When you know your opponent is not running control, you can spawn one from Monster's nest but usually you don't need more.

I'd say it fares alright, and is viable for low ranks and casual play. Similar to Deathwish, a Celaeno Harpy + Forktail combo is 8 + 18 points, more than D'ao with Griffin. Then the Queen into eating all of the harpies is at least 19 points plus boosting every Nekker by 3. However it takes a bit getting used to really, in order to learn to play it (I was rubbish with it initially :p )

Usually I save the Toad for last and eat the Nekker that's in my hand if I've managed to tutor the rest with Maerolorn + consuming them. But if you go straight in Round 3, you can consider eating the Frightener, to also activate Ozzrel. Also if the first Nekker gets mandraked, it's better to drop the other in order to bring the third :) Plus the Toad has got some good synergy with Ge'els, by drawing whatever Ge'els puts on top.

Slyzards are great tutors, obviously. And you can use one from round 1, after you've eaten the Celaeno Harpy. Finally, the Leshen is pretty good all around, especially with the foglet, for some pressure in a long round.

Has anyone tried the baseline consume? are there any suggestions? :) I've been thinking of placing the Imperial Manticore there somewhere but the silvers are pretty tight. and the Toad is fairly useful. What do you think?

I did try that composition in the past and it sucks. Too low tempo and too easy to counter just like Nwarriors/Nekker. With Handbuff and Greatsword meta, the second option has a better chance but still, the opposite side can shut it down.

Like I said, at first it sucked indeed. But now that I am used to it, it fares alright. Against greatswords you can eat their biggest one with Ozzrel and your short round finisher with nekkers is pretty powerful, enough to match theirs.

The primary problem with this list is that, just like every monster deck ever, there is a very high possibility of a bricked draw, since there are so many things to mulligan. I am even thinking of swapping out Ge'els.

ser2440;n10846261 said:
I am even thinking of swapping out Ge'els.

Muzzle, but it is just to tech against GS SK. And vs Handbuff it could be dead, or yet not that usefull.

To tech against Great sowrd is hard, even if u Eat one, they still have Coral that turns it to 2. Yet they still have 2 big finishers often higher than the Nekkers. And there falls the problem again, Mandrake. Thhis damn skellige with STR buff reminds me the dwarfs meta.

In this meta MO just lacks of cards to tech effectively on targeted archetypes.

A good card to tech well against these 2, in particular, would be Unseen Elder, but unfortunately, it doesn't fit with consuming. Monster lacks of decent removals that are not bound to weather/Boons

And btw, recently Sweers is out again. Just saying.

Last edited:
you just need to make all rounds medium length. Greatswords thrive in long rounds. You on the other hand have far shorter combos and need fewer cards to put out a lot of points. If you focus on medium length rounds, they can't strengthen the greatswords that much. Also, they usually focus on strengthening one, and even with coral, eating it takes a lot of power away from them.

The main problem of this version though is how inferior it is to the nekker spam consume. The greedy version will win EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Plus recently I had a match where the last 6 cards at the bottom of my deck were 3 forktails and 3 Celaeno harpies and I couldn't do anything :p Worst draw ever.

erathias;n10854221 said:
Consume deck MUST play 3x Slyzard

Slyzard = Power play AND Thin

It's so important than Nekkers.

Even the 2 Slyzards that I run often brick. There's an incessant amount of tutors there. The greedy version can run 3 Slyzards, this one cannot

ser2440;n10850881 said:
nekker spam consume. The greedy version will win EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Plus recently I had a match where the last 6 cards at the bottom of my deck were 3 forktails and 3 Celaeno harpies and I couldn't do anything :p Worst draw ever.

In such scenario you win condition is having all the 3 nekkers in hand on the first round. So, u can survive at Coral and Mandrake on the first 2 nekkers. The third will save you. But if they run muzzle too, GG! And it is likely to happen as soon as they notice consume nekkers is up again.

Your chance is to run muzzle as well to take it back. Yet, a lot of conditions are required in order to win with this deck, while other archetypes are not so locked. I just can't believe they dared to nerft Monster nest 2 patches ago without seeing where mosnters were slowly falling on the meta.

Same bullshits happens against alchemy. Even one shotting Arachas behemots, and putting back in the deck your dead nekkers so they nullyfit ur last reosrt too... The crone res.

But again, this archetype it is too well known by players and so everyone knows how to tech against it. Transgerncy just found the right moment to push it to the top.

Last edited:
I have a question. On the last gwent challenger some players presented us with interesting and clever decks. My question is quite specific. What do you think about the Freddybabes monsters deck? Is there any sense in creating such a deck and playing it on the ladder? Is it possible to achieve satisfactory results? Has anyone tested it at all? I am currently in the 20th rank in the seasons. Does playing with this deck make sense on this level? Thank you in advance for all the answers: D

ROACHviel;n10910821 said:
I have a question. On the last gwent challenger some players presented us with interesting and clever decks. My question is quite specific. What do you think about the Freddybabes monsters deck? Is there any sense in creating such a deck and playing it on the ladder? Is it possible to achieve satisfactory results? Has anyone tested it at all? I am currently in the 20th rank in the seasons. Does playing with this deck make sense on this level? Thank you in advance for all the answers: D

Hmm, Freddy's deck has one notable weakness in that it relies solely on the cows to summon the harpies. If you don't draw Germain or your opponent kills them before you can, you'll have to be prepared to keep drawing harpies for the rest of the game.

A possible way to counteract that would be Leshen, as the wolf tokens are beasts as well. Running Leshen in my deck has saved me more than once when I got to play it on an empty board and then eat the wolves to summon the harpies. You can always use Monster's nest and/or Frightener to move units in the fog afterwards. However, Freddy's deck has pretty tight golds (Draug, Yen, Kayran, Ge'els).

Of note, the Draug - Yen - Ruehin combo is one of the best and least popular combos in Gwent. I've been using it as my finisher in my moonlight deck since the PTR of the Midwinter. The only things you have to watch out for is Schirru - Epidemic, Ballistas and recently, Alchemy's black blood. Freddy could mitigate the former by banning Brouver in the tournament (yet the latter still costed him when Tailbot spawned a Nekurat and killed his cows). Ballistas shouldn't be too much of a problem because you ought to save your finisher for the short round, when they'll have probably played their Ballistas

ser2440;n10911121 said:
Of note, the Draug - Yen - Ruehin combo is one of the best and least popular combos in Gwent.

Yeah, it's an interesting combo, although I don't like having too many cards I have to save for late in the game.

I tried to built a deck around Ruehin once (to have more ways to get value with this card) but sadly that wasn't that impressive.

devivre;n10911451 said:
Yeah, it's an interesting combo, although I don't like having too many cards I have to save for late in the game.

I tried to built a deck around Ruehin once (to have more ways to get value with this card) but sadly that wasn't that impressive.

That's the thing, you don't have to.90% of the times I don't play Ruehin or play it prematurely. In my moonlight deck it is still 15 points (8 + 6 wolves + the Draug) plus a body in the graveyard. You really only need 2 cards for the end, Draug and Yen or Draug and Ruehin, and Ge'els makes sure you need to have drawn only 1 usually.

*EDIT* Also that was the deck I was playing against Freddy himself the only time I've encountered him in Ranked :p I had a coinflip advantage but sadly I didn't draw the Draug or my spy, and I have a feeling he didn't draw his Ciri: Nova

Update time. I've been using this deck after the patch hit, with 2 changes. First, I swapped Foglet for a reconnaissance. Secondly, I swapped the Woodland Spirit for Caretaker. It now leads to fewer bricked hands and the extra tech is very useful against veterans. Also, if you don't get to draw Ozzrel, it's always nice to have that Caretaker there :)

It seems to be performing really well. What I like is that it is one of the few things that can reliably counter this if you know what you are up against (kayran eating Sabbath, Mandrake Olgierd)

I do think the nekker spam has got the advantage still though

rrc

Forum veteran
ser2440;n10957652 said:
Update time. I've been using this deck after the patch hit, with 2 changes. First, I swapped Foglet for a reconnaissance. Secondly, I swapped the Woodland Spirit for Caretaker. It now leads to fewer bricked hands and the extra tech is very useful against veterans. Also, if you don't get to draw Ozzrel, it's always nice to have that Caretaker there :)

It seems to be performing really well. What I like is that it is one of the few things that can reliably counter this if you know what you are up against (kayran eating Sabbath, Mandrake Olgierd)

I do think the nekker spam has got the advantage still though

At which rank are you testing this deck ser2440? Just curious.

rrc;n10957751 said:
At which rank are you testing this deck ser2440? Just curious.

Not ranked yet. Just casual. But I have come across all top tier decks.

I really don't want to play ranked but I might just for the sake of it :p

you might also want to look again at Olgierd, Morkvaaarg, and Harpy... all of them have changed to be more compatible with Vran Warrior

Void_Singer;n10958183 said:
you might also want to look again at Olgierd, Morkvaaarg, and Harpy... all of them have changed to be more compatible with Vran Warrior

Olgierd is really good if you can mandrake him. My silvers are pretty tight, and Mandrake pretty much always has to be kept on standby these days, because of Imlerith: Sabbath and Greatsword longships. Plus, opponents will mandrake him on sight now that he is a win condition of some decks.

Vran Warriors, Their abilities don't trigger more than twice most often, meaning, in most games I play. My initial version ran the Vran instead of Forktails. Forktails are just better from experience, especially since you are often aiming for mid-length rounds. The harpy hatchlings from the eggs spawn on random rows so in order to summon them, you need to eat them without committing a Vran. I guess they would work with Olgierd but then, there really isn't a silver I'd swap out for him. I tried the Olgierd deck, but since I don't play Sabbath on principle, opponents will just mandrake him instead.

Harpies always came where the destroyed unit was, it's nothing new.

am new here and i try the arach decks and my deck looks like this:
gold: 1.gerald of riva
1. triss merigold
1. woodland spirit- i plan to replace it with kiran
1. whispess: tribute (opened this in a pack its super efective since it lets you play monster nest from your deck which lets you play a 4-th arachas behimoth)
silver : 1.Toad prince (i crafted that one saw how good it is in arena and its super efective in this deck it lets you draw a consistent card)
1.monster nest - super great card its the best monster silver card CRAFT THIS right away
1. manticore venom
1.roach -its a nice deck slim and it can help you when you need to boost numbers fast
1.dudu - to counter enemy dudu :D
1. ruehin- i find it a great replacement for commanders horn. And i use 3xarachas drone i know they make your deck fat but they spawn every time you trigger you behimoth. Not shure if on purpose, but that gives you great burst of numbers and is the only thing that can outvalue the norsemans boats and swords. so you have 5 cards that can summon all the copyes of the drones from your deck so feel free to use them. the downside is that it requires you to have a behimoth active and people pop them with their removal. It also boosts kiran and toad prince and you behimoths.If kairans ability was consyme a monster with power equal to his power this card would have had greater sinergy with the deck and not be replaced by any random consume you can have :D.
branze: 3x arachas behimoth- its my core card becouse i run the 3x arachas drones.Be carefull the first time you pop it its instant + 12
3x nekker
3x celaeno harpy
3x first light- i dont use to remove board clears i use it becouse every bronze card in your deck is super powerfull and you rather have any of them instead of some of the golden cards or silvers since all you silver gold cards require you to have a bronze one on field if first light would boost the minion it spawns by 2 it would be the greatest card in the game. And its super nice becouse i run a 30 card deck and any slimming effect should be played first. I find it a winning condition since you can play the extra cards and outvalue your oponent since at the end of the game you played around 20 21 of your cards while your oponent played 14-17 ish cards
3x arachas drones
1x nekker warrior
1x slyzard
1x forktail - i wish i had more of those since they are good with the harpyes but my deck loses consitency although they do eat enemy scorches :D havent desided yet
2x barbegazi - i wish i could play 3 but i prefer crafting ozzrel first

i used to run some copyes of archespore and ghouls but there are cards that can make bette ruse of my corpses like draug. Rchespores get boosted by ruehin and they kinda eat your oponents removal an donce removed they have deathwish deal 4 so its a win win scenario (unfortunately boats and swords get boosted even more by them :D not that much but still they have good sinergy with Brewess: ritual that summons 2 deathwis units from your grave and either necker or this is super fine. Again i am doing soem free stuff now been playing this game for a few days and so far soem things are improvements to the deck there are a lot of starter cards i wish to remove add soem more slyzards to boosts the neckers even more since the neckers are kind of a fai lsafe if the behimoths fail. if you get boats and swords deck rush the behimoth consume if you get toad gerald behimot you play behimoth consume gerald from your hand respectively you draw a monster from your deck you have 8 from behimoth +9 from the drones + 3 since you consumed +15 since you consumed gerald and boats need a lot of turns to get that much than you pass and let hi mcatch 35 points for 2 turns thand your deck is slimmed like hell since you drew 4 cards. note that if you played gerald and didnt consume it you still get a 4 power fro mthe horse on the roof for one extra turn and that made you draw 5 cards wich is the only scenario where you win againts that scurge of a deck . but if you didnt pop up the drones ( whitch you should and always remove them from your draws and make shure not to remove them from your first redraw since if you want to remove something else exept them they can always pop up again and you should have a redraw ready for it.
So far i notised there are 3 types of consume decks one is the flowers/spiders. The other is the Ogrons/deathwish . And thef inal is the Draconid/harpyesvrans warriors/ boarclears.
If you are looking for slimmer versions of the deck. My idea is this huge deck that draws a lot of itself and some huge treats that burst your oponents hand. I use the nekos as bait for removal and deck slimming. But the slim deck ideas are thos edrakonids can play both consume and weather decks so if you are starting to craft your collection from the gold cards the dragons will give you some diversity.
prise winning cow and brewess: ritual give you great value its what i was truing to snuck into my deck but its the silver gold addon for infinite nekos :D. i hope that post is usefull for all you trying to consume the game :D

minti043;n10959968 said:
am new here and i try the arach decks and my deck looks like this:
gold: 1.gerald of riva
1. triss merigold
1. woodland spirit- i plan to replace it with kiran
1. whispess: tribute (opened this in a pack its super efective since it lets you play monster nest from your deck which lets you play a 4-th arachas behimoth)
silver : 1.Toad prince (i crafted that one saw how good it is in arena and its super efective in this deck it lets you draw a consistent card)
1.monster nest - super great card its the best monster silver card CRAFT THIS right away
1. manticore venom
1.roach -its a nice deck slim and it can help you when you need to boost numbers fast
1.dudu - to counter enemy dudu :D
1. ruehin- i find it a great replacement for commanders horn. And i use 3xarachas drone i know they make your deck fat but they spawn every time you trigger you behimoth. Not shure if on purpose, but that gives you great burst of numbers and is the only thing that can outvalue the norsemans boats and swords. so you have 5 cards that can summon all the copyes of the drones from your deck so feel free to use them. the downside is that it requires you to have a behimoth active and people pop them with their removal. It also boosts kiran and toad prince and you behimoths.If kairans ability was consyme a monster with power equal to his power this card would have had greater sinergy with the deck and not be replaced by any random consume you can have :D.
branze: 3x arachas behimoth- its my core card becouse i run the 3x arachas drones.Be carefull the first time you pop it its instant + 12
3x nekker
3x celaeno harpy
3x first light- i dont use to remove board clears i use it becouse every bronze card in your deck is super powerfull and you rather have any of them instead of some of the golden cards or silvers since all you silver gold cards require you to have a bronze one on field if first light would boost the minion it spawns by 2 it would be the greatest card in the game. And its super nice becouse i run a 30 card deck and any slimming effect should be played first. I find it a winning condition since you can play the extra cards and outvalue your oponent since at the end of the game you played around 20 21 of your cards while your oponent played 14-17 ish cards
3x arachas drones
1x nekker warrior
1x slyzard
1x forktail - i wish i had more of those since they are good with the harpyes but my deck loses consitency although they do eat enemy scorches :D havent desided yet
2x barbegazi - i wish i could play 3 but i prefer crafting ozzrel first

i used to run some copyes of archespore and ghouls but there are cards that can make bette ruse of my corpses like draug. Rchespores get boosted by ruehin and they kinda eat your oponents removal an donce removed they have deathwish deal 4 so its a win win scenario (unfortunately boats and swords get boosted even more by them :D not that much but still they have good sinergy with Brewess: ritual that summons 2 deathwis units from your grave and either necker or this is super fine. Again i am doing soem free stuff now been playing this game for a few days and so far soem things are improvements to the deck there are a lot of starter cards i wish to remove add soem more slyzards to boosts the neckers even more since the neckers are kind of a fai lsafe if the behimoths fail. if you get boats and swords deck rush the behimoth consume if you get toad gerald behimot you play behimoth consume gerald from your hand respectively you draw a monster from your deck you have 8 from behimoth +9 from the drones + 3 since you consumed +15 since you consumed gerald and boats need a lot of turns to get that much than you pass and let hi mcatch 35 points for 2 turns thand your deck is slimmed like hell since you drew 4 cards. note that if you played gerald and didnt consume it you still get a 4 power fro mthe horse on the roof for one extra turn and that made you draw 5 cards wich is the only scenario where you win againts that scurge of a deck . but if you didnt pop up the drones ( whitch you should and always remove them from your draws and make shure not to remove them from your first redraw since if you want to remove something else exept them they can always pop up again and you should have a redraw ready for it.
So far i notised there are 3 types of consume decks one is the flowers/spiders. The other is the Ogrons/deathwish . And thef inal is the Draconid/harpyesvrans warriors/ boarclears.
If you are looking for slimmer versions of the deck. My idea is this huge deck that draws a lot of itself and some huge treats that burst your oponents hand. I use the nekos as bait for removal and deck slimming. But the slim deck ideas are thos edrakonids can play both consume and weather decks so if you are starting to craft your collection from the gold cards the dragons will give you some diversity.
prise winning cow and brewess: ritual give you great value its what i was truing to snuck into my deck but its the silver gold addon for infinite nekos :D. i hope that post is usefull for all you trying to consume the game :D

Hey there. Thanks for contributing to my thread. Going through your list, I think I can give you some advice

1) Consume is, like reveal, one of the oldest archetypes in the game, with tons of cards synergizing with it. You need to go for only one aspect of it in my opinion. Either behemoths, drones consumers and nekkers, OR harpies, celaeno harpies, consumers and nekkers. OR, the nekker spam version of Nekker warriors, Nekkers, and consumers. As such, Since your deck seems to be going towards all 3 of these directions, I'd suggest limiting it down to one. There's an amazing synergy between harpies and celaeno harpies and arachas behemoths and drones, but if you include all, you are making your deck too big. If you end up playing 21 cards like you said, having 27 offers you nothing beyond reducing your chances of a good draw.

While you do play more cards, if those cards are like, Strength 3 and the opponent's are strength 11 each, you are going to still lose. Better to stick to the minimum deck size and decide which aspect of consume you are going to approach. Alternatively, you can make one deck for each. I personally have a nekker spam deck, a baseline consume deck (this one) and an arachas swarm deck.

2) Ruehin - Great for Arachas Swarms and moonlight decks. Great with Draug as well. But there's not much room for it in the other consume decks. Depending on what you go for, keep it or scrap it.

3) Dudu - I'd suggest replacing this one with Ozzrel snap. Ozzrel gets 15 - 18 points very consistently aside from boosting all your nekkers by 1. Dudu will very rarely get that amount against anything other than Greatswords (against which Ozzrel can do the same job and better) and Nekker spam

4) Consider taking the Frightener. Card advantage spies are crucial in the meta, while yours has an extra advantage - Excellent synergy with the toad prince :D If it's the 3rd round and you really don't want to give your opponent 13 points, you can just consume that with the toad and then once again with ozzrel or a spawned ghoul from Monster Nest for 19 and 18 points :D Alternatively, it makes sure you can keep up if your opponent goes second and opens with a Card advantage spy of their own, since Consume decks need a setup of at least 1 card to be able to start gaining tempo (be it behemoths, celaeno harpies, or in the case of nekkers, which don't care, they need to play their nekker)

5) Manticore Venom - another bad silver in my opinion. It's a starter, and from what I get you don't have that many cards yet, which is fine, but it's better to go for Mandrake or another organic card. Mandrake is crucial against Olgierd, which is becoming a thing, since nothing else ensures that card stays dead aside from artifact compression which you cannot tutor as easily. It will also be a lot more useful against Greatswords and their pesky Longships.

6) Geralt and Triss are also pretty basic golds. If you plan to replace something with kayran, that's where I'd start. You can keep the Woodland spirit if you also add a foglet in your bronzes. That's 14 points on deploy with added fog to deal 2 damage every turn. Really good value.

Other options for golds that you might want to consider for golds: Ge'els, Phoenix (resurrects a forktail or a slyzard for extra consumptions or thinning), Miruna (against decks with little control, like the ones dominating the meta right now - Greatswords, sabbath decks, Nekker spam, Handbuff she can work wonders. Just remember to play her as your penultimate card, otherwise they are bound to be able to counter her :) ) or my personal option, the Caretaker, to be able to steal Greatswords and Bearmasters from Skellige, your biggest opponent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom