Explaining Yennefer's behaviour in the game (with a canon Geralt as partner)

+

Guest 3847602

Was the removal of the "cooking quest" ever explained or it was just the assumption that it would ruin the serious tone of the "lifting the curse" scene?
I'm on PC, this "issue" obviously doesn't affect me, I'm just curious.

The whole prison escape moment was meant, I guess, to make Yennefer a bit more likeable on a surface level. Look, look, she cares sometimes!

I do think it was a bit exaggerated, her crumbling to the floor and mewling over Sheala, but whatever. I guess I just don't buy into anything that presents these women as Yennefer's friends. And I don't think Yennefer, never the most soft-hearted in general, would have any sympathy for them, given how they acted in the past and how they only have themselves to blame for their respective predicaments.

Yeah, but those women were work colleagues for her and after a couple of years you are at least on friendly terms with them, unless they are really idiots like Philippa. She knew some of those women for more than 50-80 years, even grew up with some of them.

Triss and Keira weren't also the biggest friends, yet Triss asks Geralt to help her to get Keira down from the stake, if Keira decided to go to Radovid and you couldn't convince her otherwise.

Triss does that for Keira, even though she didn't need to, even though they haven't had the best relationship, she did it, because it was the right thing to do.

The same amplies for Yennefer, she grants Sheala's last wish because out of respect and sympathy.

It is true that pretty much none of those sorceresses were really good friends to her, except for Rita and once upon a time even Triss, but that doesn't mean she doesn't care at all. Only few like Philippa can probably go to hell.

She even cares for Triss despite knowing what she did in the past (in the books) and what she did to Geralt in the games. If you show Philippa's crystal to Yennefer and you meantion that you want to give the crystal to Radovid, Yennefer says it is a very bad idea, because that would not only harm Philippa, but also Triss and her. Her first thought went to Triss and only then to herself. If she didn't care about her, she wouldn't have mention her here.

Despite what Triss did, Yennefer still invited her to Kaer Morhen. Sure, they might never be the same old good friends they were, but from all the sorceresses I think those two are probably the only ones (except for Rita), who would care at all about anyone else.

And just a fun fact, Yennefer prevented once a pogrom and even saved the life of an unborn child once, so yeah, she does care a lot about others, more than you think. She just doesn't show it to everyone, because she doesn't need to proof anything.

She was told in her younger years that this is a weakness, that others can use that against her and yet she still did those things.

Unfinished business with Ciri - Part 20.5 Interlude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz6PJO8g21M

Not much going on here except for that small change we got due to the patch. We see for the first time Ciri taking a stance in the whole Yennefer/Geralt relationship, at least it is something ._.

Ciri: You know… perhaps it's not my concern, but… I'm glad you and Yennefer have ended up together.
Me too.
Ciri: You took your time.
Hm. Guess we both needed a while to grapple with it.
Ciri: So what was it like? You know, when the wish lost its hold. What did you feel?
Hmm. Well, there we were, the two of us, on the mountain top. I looked at her, and…
And felt like I was exactly where I was supposed to be. At long last.

"at long last" yeah, took you long enough CDPR for that...

I don't like how the wish is once again a topic of this, because the god damn wish doesn't mean anything in their relationship, but hey, Ciri supports Geralt & Yennefer, which is nice for once ._.

But still, even evil Yennefer had plans for Ciri. Bullshit

The only plan Yennefer ever had for Ciri was to enlist her as a student at Aretuza to learn proper magic and how to deal with her own abilities. How the heck is that an evil plan ?!?!

It's like saying sending Harry Potter to Hogwarts is a bad idea, wtf.

If Yennefer were accompanying them, she would have told her, but CDPR didn't let her participate in it ._.

I wished Yennefer went with them, just like they did in the books ._. there is no reason at all why Yennefer wouldn't want to accompany them, especially after everything that happened.

It's astoundish how similar some events in the game are to the books, but they leave Yennefer almost every time out of it ._.

I know, I know, it's a game and the focus is on the player, it's still heartbreaking ._.

But hey, now finally something about those three together, wished we could have seen more like this:

Meeting the Lodge - Part 21
or the updated version (still the same though).

Geralt!
What is it?
Nothing just yet, but something's afoot. Philippa and Margarita want to speak to me.

They don't bite.
Then talk to them. Not like they're out to bite you.
If they do, I'll bite back.
So what's the problem?
I bet they have plans for me. And they're deigning to inform me of them.

You'll do fine on your own.
Got nothing to be afraid of. Just go, listen to what they have to say.
And if they try to force me into something?
Can't believe you'd ever let them.
Margarita's only ever cared about your education. Doubt she'll try to drag you into politics.
Philippa's tougher. Plays a mean game, but ultimately respects those who hold to their views.
If she makes you an offer, and you firmly turn it down, she'll respect that.
Thanks, Geralt.
Well, go. Don't give 'em any more time to strategize.

Not going with her?
Can't hold her hand if they're gonna take her seriously.
True. Good decision.
Yennefer awknowledges that Geralt did something right !!!

So she does that, if Geralt does something right, however that's rarely the case :D

Don't worry, she'll be fine.
Relax, she'll be fine.
Rita won't hurt her, but Philippa… She can be ruthless.

Ciri's been in tougher situations and come out of them all right.
True, we managed to instill some principles, skills that have helped…
Exactly, so there's nothing to be afraid of.
Of course.
I'll just have a peek.

Finally. Thought you didn't have the gall.
Finally. Thought you wouldn't do it, didn't have the gall.

Lemme see.
Lemme have a look.
In your dreams.

What do you see?
Philippa pontificating. Ciri pacing wall to wall.
She's stopped.
She's saying something.
Philippa's turned pale!

Bravo, Ciri!
That's my Ciri. Probably gave her an earful.
Quiet! Here she comes.

So?
You were eavesdropping.
Yes.
No.
You haven't changed a bit.

If you wanna be alone…
If you wanna be alone for a while, to digest, process…
Yes. I shall go for a walk. I must unwind.
Remember, we need to go to Skellige. Avallac'h awaits at the port.
I remember. I'll be there soon.

See, that's what I love about them and I think in scenes like these CDPR really outdid themselves. It's not necessary the lovey-dovey stuff, though that's great too, but it's stuff like this that makes them so great as a couple, as a family. I could see this short scene thousand times and wouldn't get bored of it.
It's just a shame we didn't see such things more often in the game.

You can feel how worrying Yennefer is nonetheless and no matter how cool Geralt plays it, he also wants to know what's going on. It really felt like parents caring for their daughter.

Only adding my signature to that scene would have made it even more awesome :)

And again someone says how they haven't changed a bit, thank goodness they didn't :heart: well, Ciri did a bit...

Sailing to Skellige - Part 22

Philippa: Yennefer, if this is untrue…
It's true.

Help protect Ciri from the Wild Hunt, and the emperor will grant you amnesty.
Margarita: I hope we can trust you.
You can.
Philippa: What of Fringilla?
That I don't know… But I shall take it up with him.
You've barely said hello and you're already plotting something.
It's clearly in our nature.

Secured them amnesty? Really?
I hear right? You convince the emperor to pardon them?
Provided they help us defend Ciri.
Hmm… Got a hard time believing emperor'd go in for a deal like that.
If you can't believe it, don't. I don't need you to.

What was that bit about Fringilla?
Bit about Fringilla - what was that? Triss told me you couldn't contact her.
Perhaps because she sits in the emperor's dungeon, chained in dimeritium.
At least that's what Rita implied.

Emperor hid that from you?
Hmm… Take it the emperor forgot to tell you about this?
I don't like it. That was not our deal. When it's all over, I'll need to have a candid discussion with the emperor.
Come, they're all waiting for us.
Sounds fair to me, they need the help of the Lodge, but they need some kind of bargain for that. Getting amnesty by Emhyr is exactly that. It's a necessary evil they have to do.

Well, that settles the question of His Imperial Majesty's whereabouts.

Ciri: Does he aim to conquer Skellige? But he knows… those are my friends!
He wishes to grant you the isles. With Cintra… and the rest of the empire.
There is an upside to all this.
Ciri: Is that so?
Avallach: The emperor will have to help us fight the Hunt. And we've just found Fringilla Vigo.

Ciri: We must hurry and find the Sunstone. Seems we've plenty to do in Skellige after that.
Fringilla Vigo - we need her here.

Can you teleport me onto the emperor's ship?
Can you teleport me onto Emhyr's ship?
Not a chance. It's better shielded than the emperor's alcove.
Though we could try to force our way through…
Avallach: We need Fringilla in one piece.

They know we're here?
Think they know we're here?
Emhyr's mages? Of course.
If the matter of Fringilla Vigo were resolved, they'd probably just send her over here in a skiff.
It's far from resolved. The emperor pledged to ensure the Lodge's safety, but…
Fringilla is a pricklier matter. She's his subject, one officially sentenced to death for treason.
You'll need to learn what Emhyr has planned for her - once we've found a way to toss you over to the imperial flagship.

Get on Emhyr's ship myself.
I'll get on the emperor's ship myself.
Plan to swim? With swords on your back? You'll get shot up like a sitting duck before you can say "The White Flame Dancing on the Graves of His Foes."
Don't panic. He'll find a way.
Make your approach by night, you'll stand a better chance then. Once you're on board…
Show His Imperial Majesty this letter. Hand it to him directly. We should remind him what he promised, and what he’ll get in return.
Heh, guess someone knows Geralt better ;)

She has complete trust in him and knows what he is capable of, we already saw that after Imlerith and here again.

It is also worth mentioning that Triss is quite upset about Ciri's and Geralt's solo adventure, while Yennefer trusted him, why? Because she knows him good enough as we can see here again.

Don't even know what the Sunstone is.
At the moment we don't even know what the Sunstone is.
Avallach: It was created so the Mountain Elves could summon the vessels of the Aen Elle. Now it merely serves as a symbol of a lost opportunity to unite the two tribes…
Avallach: Truly? Can all of you be unfamiliar with the story of Gealbhan and Dillian of the White Fleet?

I love Elven legends, let's hear it.
Tell us, please. Absolutely love elven legends.
Avallach: Gealbhan was a Sage of the Alder Elves. He fell in love with an Aen Seidhe elf - Dillian. Yet she spurned him.
Ciri: Ahem. That was a jest on Geralt's part?
Avallach: Too late. It won't hurt any of you to know this. On the day the White Fleet was to set sail, Gealbhan gave Dillian a gift - the Sunstone.
Avallach: He believed Dillian's heart would soften in time.
Avallach: Once her longing for him burgeoned, she was to use the Sunstone. Though worlds away, he would return for her.
Sounds promising. Let's just hope this Sunstone proves more useful to us than it did to that elf woman.

I'm more interested in how to use it.
What I wanna know is if we'll be able to use the Sunstone.
Avallach: You? No. Me? Naturally.
Avallach: With a touch of help from the sorceresses.
Of whom some are below deck vomiting, while others remain unreachable.

We're sure the Sunstone's in Skellige?
The Sunstone's in Skellige? How do we know that?
Avallach: From legends. Elven ones. It lies where the White Fleet landed centuries ago.
Meaning anywhere on any one of the Isles. Splendid…
Ermion - I'll talk to him.
Know where he is?
I'll ask around the port. Crach's longships are moored there.

I'm off.
I'm off.
Ciri: Good luck.

The new additional dialogue lines are also in this video, you can either watch it here again (and read the comments!) and/or read my comment here, as I already adressed this and it still pisses me off that from all our, my criticsm this is what ended up at CDPR and made it in the patch.

Sigh
, I still hope Blood and Wine will have something in petto for me, for them, but to be honest I think not hoping for it anymore is actually better for me in the end, so I don't get disappointed again like with the patch, sadly.

All the more we should be happy about what we got, since this isn't so bad either, it's actually really good, even though it could be even better.

Meeting Emhyr & Fringilla - Part 22.5 Interlude

https://youtu.be/6GgcEGFl2Ts

again for the sake of completeness.

Emhyr's laboratory - Part 23

Yay, another family quest, one of the very few nonetheless...

Going somewhere?
Ciri says there's a site in Skellige we must examine. Avallac'h's clearly hiding something from us.
Earlier, when we were in the Isles together, Avallac'h mentioned a laboratory.
At one point, he wished to teleport there… to retrieve something. And he refused to take me with him. It was all very strange…
Sufficiently suspicious, don't you think?

Yes, sufficiently.
So what? Wanna just sneak in and root around?
Exactly. Coming with?
Fine. Where is it?
On a small isle between Undvik and Spikeroog.
Not exactly on our way. Just found out the Sunstone's on Ard Skellig. Cavern along the coast, that we can only access from the sea.
Gonna need some real magic to get in, too.
Philippa: Go find this laboratory. I will explore Ard Skellig. You can join me later.
Philippa, your eyesight - only just recovered and magically simulated. Didn't you say you'd need some time to get accustomed?
Philippa: Did I?
I'd forgotten how irritating she can be. Come, Ciri.
We'll await you there.

Entrance is very well protected. I believe we'll find something interesting inside…
How will you lift the barrier?
Atlan Kerk's inclusion should do the trick. Remember the spell?
I remember you teaching me. And to think I thought you an overbearing, cold shrew at the time.
Now, now. This is no time to get soppy.
Huh, a reference to Yennefer and Ciri past? Why not more often?

So? Any incriminating letters? Closets full of skeletons?
We've not even opened the door yet.
It's a highly complex magic barrier. Let's try…
Geata'ar ligen!

We've awoken the sentry.
I'll take care of him.

Let's see what Avallac'h's really planning…

Pretty cozy. Doesn't look much like a lab at all.
That proves nothing. We must look around.
It's a bit low, isn't it? Rummaging through his papers?
You wished to come, my dear.
Portrait of Ciri, I think.
No, that's not me. Where's the scar?
It's definitely you. Hm, really captured you.
Sure Avallac'h's only interested in you for your magic abilities?
Pfff. Very funny.

Look, Geralt.
It seems someone was literally just here…

An assistant, maybe?
Avallac'h's assistant, maybe?
No, somehow doesn't seem like Avallac'h to have one.
Hm. A distillate? Smells like…
Verbena.
A-ha.
"A-ha" what?
No, nothing.
Sometimes you really get on my nerves, you know?
Herbs. Not very incriminating.
Wait. We've not examined the entire laboratory yet.
I have to be honest here, usually I have an answer for most things concerning those three, but this verbena thing? I have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, so it would be really nice, if someone can enlighten me here, thanks in advance.

Yen…!
Genealogical chart of the Aen Hen Ichaer, the Elder Blood. From Lara Dorren…
To me. You never showed me the full version. I had no idea Videmont of Aedirn was an ancestor.
Was he the one who punished his daughters with a hot iron, or the one who had his own father's eyes gouged out?
Him of the daughters. My, even I'd never seen the full version.
Seems Avallac'h has analyzed all the paths of Lara's gene, even those we thought extinct.

Only analyzed?
He's only analyzing - really believe that? If he's anything like our mages, I seriously doubt he's standing back and observing how Lara's descendants are doing.
I don't think we'll ever know if or how deeply the elves have meddled in the gene's mutation.
Did you have a hand in… in what Geralt mentioned? The work of those human mages…
Of course not.
For some this "of course not" is a bit suspicious, however we discussed this long and exhausting once and no, Yennefer wasn't involved in this, simply because of her age. All of this probably happened more than 80-150 years ago, since only the oldest ones in the Lodge can even remember such thing anymore.

Sorcerers stopped meddling in the Lara bloodline long ago, before Yennefer had even the chance to be involved in it. However it is true that sorcerers meddle in marriages of the aristocracy, but that's a political thing. For example the Lodge had plans for Ciri whom she is suppose to marry, just like her grandmother Calanthe had and just like Emhyr had, that's nothing new.

In the books Yennefer still feels guilty for it, but not because of what she did, but because of what her own sorcerer guild did. She felt guilt, because her guild caused why Ciri had to suffer and that's why she wanted to keep her away from all of this in the end.

At the end of the books Yennefer and Ciri still meet the Lodge, but on their terms and not on the lodge's anymore.

Let's look at his notes.
Let's look at his notes.
Gods… he's spent over two centuries on this. He was the first to study Lara's gene. Falka… Mh, some entries about Ciri…
But it's here, later, that things get interesting. He actually tried to cultivate a genetic mix like Ciri's. But one excluding the human line.
Meaning what exactly? That I ought to be looking about for giant jars holding my siblings?
Don't be foolish! Avallac'h never got that far. Apparently, all his experiments ended in failure.
You are unique.
And that's why we've the Wild Hunt to contend with.
Let's ferret on - see if we can't find something even more interesting.

Someone's there. Beyond the door…
Elf: How did you get in here?

We mean no harm.
We mean you no harm.
Elf: I care not at all why you're here. Get out.
Ciri: You… I remember you. From Tir ná Lia.
Elf: Remarkable. I thought all elves looked alike to those of your race. If it's Avallac'h you seek, he's not here.
Ciri: I know.
Elf: And yet you come here? What for? To spy on him? He tries his damndest to save you every time you do something stupid - is that not enough?
Ciri: What can you possibly know about that?
Elf: You'd be surprised. He's told me a great deal about you.

For example?
Like what?

Elf: He said you shared Lara's features - I don't see whatever it is he sees. It seems a bit like trying to drink water from a mud puddle.
Elf: But… I imagine that belief somehow helps him with his task.
What task?
Elf: Do you think he trails you everywhere for pleasure? Even I grow ill at the sight of you.
It's incredible how those like you still believe you're superior to humans - in any way.
Elf: She's no human. She's a degenerate half-breed. To have no choice but to use something like that - it's humiliating.
Another word and I'll--
Elf: What? You'll change nothing. She must do what she must. Then Avallac'h will finally be free of her.
Ciri: If he hates me so deeply, why didn't he tell me to my face?

He that important to you?
Avallac'h means that much to you?
What's that got do to with anything?
If they despise me so, they should leave me be!
Ciri…
What?! Do you fear I'll level this place like I did Kaer Morhen?
Shame I can't do that at will, because I'd really like to now!

Go for it.
Ha-rah!
Ugh!
Eeeeeeerrrgh!
Aaa-argh!
There. That's better. Let's get out of here.

:heart:

Yeah, that's the stuff :p

Sure, you could argue that original-Yennefer would not approve of this, since it is childish, but Yennefer changed and this is one of few moments you can see it. She is more open, more empathetic than in the beginning (of the game or the books). She knows Ciri needed this, so she let her.

She understands it and even sympathize with them, as we can see in the last scene with Avallac'h's portray ;)

It's a glimpse of the Yennefer, you rarely see in the wild. Someone you only see in the presence of those two she cares for.

She isn't angry with them, she actually smiles and is happy for Ciri.

Must we return to the boat right away?
Something else you wanna see?
Not here. On Hindarsfjall. In Lofoten. I met a young man, Skjall, and I'd like…
What is it?
Ciri, Skjall is dead.
The Wild Hunt… Everyone…? No one survived?
Skjall died later.
You sure it was him? You'd met him?
I was there. I saw his body.
Will you visit his grave with me? I'd like to… to say goodbye.

Yeah. I'll go with you.
I'll go with you.
Thank you.
Could you open a portal - to Hindarsfjall?
I can.

Let's go, Ciri.
Let's do this.
Come back soon, all right?
Mhm. See you.

Aaaand again, why didn't she go with them? Especially since it is Skjall, it would have been great to see Yennefer to have some kind of remorse for what she did to his body. She probably didn't expect that the local folk just threw him on a pile of garbage, which he didn't deserve, so she could have helped giving him a proper burial, it would have turned down the whole discussion about the necromancy by her, sigh.

Philippa's comment on Geralt's relationship - Part 24

Couldn't help notice the tension between you and Yennefer and Triss. It's very hard on Ciri, I think.
There are times I doubt you three realize how it looks.
Triss plays the big sister to Ciri, but eagerly awaits a chance to hop in bed with you. You and Yennefer play the parents--
Yeah, so if you're angling to make it a fivesome, there's clearly no room.

There you are.
Yennefer must have tremendous pull with the emperor. To get him to guarantee the Lodge's safety? What's your take on it?
My take? Obviously a leading question. No "Geralt, I'm tired, let's sit and chat a bit" first?
Is foreplay that important to you?

Hash it out with Yennefer.
You oughta talk to Yennefer. Painfully clear there's unfinished business there.
Yennefer's always walked her own path. I'm actually touched she decided to take an interest in matters of the Lodge this time.
You don't trust her. So once the Hunt's defeated, leave, find asylum elsewhere. I hear Redania's offering.
I'd sooner stick my head in a zeugl's spiky orifice. Thanks, but I've other plans.

Not excited to work with the emperor?
You'll get to work with the emperor. Not excited?
No. I-I mean, yes, of course I am. Thus far the Lodge has oft banked on weak rulers. It's been one of our biggest mistakes
Hm… So you're impressed Emhyr keeps his mages on a short leash.
Yennefer's wise to keep you out of politics. I'm afraid you'd not realize which way the wind was blowing if you pissed straight into it.
Oh, you have no idea :p

Deal with Emhyr is sorceress business.

This deal with Emhyr - it's sorceress business. Pick someone else's brain.
So she's not told you anything? What about personal plans?
Has she mentioned anything? A possible advisory position? Beside a young, promising empress?

Stay away from Ciri.
She's an adult, Geralt. You keep forgetting. She can decide for herself.
So, onward?
That's interesting and giving my theory that Yennefer wants Ciri to be the next emperess some substance.

What if Yennefer wants Ciri to be the next emperess, because that's simply safer for her? Yennefer could be her advisor and help in political things.

However that's the old Yennefer we are talking about, the one Philippa knows, but she isn't anymore the same after what happened in the books and games, as we will see soon.

In my opinion Yennefer would rather see Ciri sitting on a throne than in a tavern, but she lets Ciri decide and doesn't decide for her anymore. Just like she did in the books at the end, she let Ciri speak and talk with the Lodge on her own, Yennefer was just there for support, nothing more.

Philippa is still thinking in the old fashioned political way, but Yennefer is already past that, she doesn't want to be involved in it anymore, she only wants what Ciri wants, whatever this might be.

Don't you think it's time you stopped interfering in Ciri's life?
No.
But you do know we're not a pack of wolves you can just drive away from her with your sword.
Sure you are, and yes, I can. If the need arises.
At laaaast…
Hand it over, and let's get outta here.
Not so fast. We've a matter to discuss.
Lemme guess - you gotta fly. You're about to tell me why you need the Sunstone so much more than we do. Then you'll change into an owl and - whoosh!
No idea where you got such a ridiculous notion. Ciri's safety is most important to me now.
But I wish to talk to you about the future. My future.
Heh, exactly that happened :D

Emperor's got plans for you - I'm sure of it.
Wouldn't worry. Emperor's got plans for you, I'm sure.
Stop playing the jester and listen to me carefully.

I recommend the alpine air of Nazair.
You'll like Nilfgaard - no two ways about it. I recommend the fresh alpine air of Nazair.
Hahah, and Yennefer claims you have no sense of humor. Now listen carefully.

Once we've defeated the Hunt and Ciri is safe, Yennefer's meteoric rise at the imperial court will come to an abrupt end.
Which is wonderful from my perspective. I'm not interested in reviving the Lodge if I'm not to have the deciding vote.
You're telling me this because…?
If I know even one bit, I expect that once we've defeated the Wild Hunt, you aim to slip out the back door, with Ciri… to disappear into the wilds, correct?
All very romantic, but perhaps instead of destroying the girl's life, you could take Yennefer with you. And go.
Oh, don't worry, I will, I will at last :)

You want to take Yen's place beside Emhyr.

You wanna take Yen's place at Emhyr's side.
And at Ciri's.
I think you understand it's inevitable. And I would truly prefer Yennefer to be far away when it happens.
Holding her in the imperial dungeon would be costly. And it would give the wrong impression.

Done? Can we go?
Any other words of wisdom? Or can we go?
You may go. I know you've things to do. I shall find my own way back.

See, Philippa doesn't understand what Yennefer is actually doing, helping Ciri and setting everything straight, to finish all of it for once and all. She thinks that Yennefer wants political control again, but that's not the Yennefer anymore she knew from the past.

If Ciri asks for Yennefer's help, she would gladly do so, but that's not the case. Yennefer will support Ciri in whatever she decides, no ulterior motives, nothing and yet Philippa is so deep into this political stuff, she can't see it. Why? Because she isn't a mother.

Preparation for the Final Battle - Part 25

Avallach: …You will position yourselves on the cliffs, here, here and--
Thank you. I believe we know how to form a circle.
Philippa: Even those of us who lack eyes for the moment.
Avallach: I simply wish to avoid-- Oh, Geralt. We were waiting for you.

Really? Looks like you started without me.
Really? Seems to me you'd started already.
Avallach: We were discussing questions of a magic nature. Nothing of great interest to you.
Right. 'Cause I'm just a simple witcher.
Don't worry. Simplicity has a charm all its own.
You were about to explain your plan.

Interesting enough, Yennefer says something different, if you decided to not continue their 20+ years relationship:
Simple, yet with so many complexes. Not now, Geralt.

A little bit annoyed by him :)

The next part is probably the most important one in the whole game for them (even for me personal), much more important than The Last Wish will ever be and since not much is coming after it anymore, I think it will be the last part of this project. I doubt Blood and Wine will have anything for them, so this is the end then ._.

unless they are really idiots like Philippa.

Triss and Keira weren't also the biggest friends, yet Triss asks Geralt to help her to get Keira down from the stake, if Keira decided to go to Radovid and you couldn't convince her otherwise.

Weren't they? They seemed to get along pretty well in the books.

I have to be honest here, usually I have an answer for most things concerning those three, but this verbena thing? I have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, so it would be really nice, if someone can enlighten me here, thanks in advance.

I think it's Essi Daven's smell, though I'm not sure. And if it is, then I'm not sure how Yennefer would know about it.

Last edited:

Hey, I like Philippa, I just commented in Yennefer's place :p

I wanted to establish a new Council/Chapter of Sorcerers, but nobody let me :)

Weren't they? They seemed to get along pretty well in the books.

Well, they said the same about Triss and Yennefer, let's see how that unfolded, oh...

Keira is around Triss' age, so yeah, of course they are friends, but friends in like "I hold your hair, when you need to puke, because you are drunk"-friends? I doubt that.

At Thanedd Keira was chatting with Sabrina the whole evening, it seems like they were rather quite close gossip girls, since they were more of the same mind.

I think it's Essi Daven's smell, though I'm not sure. And if it is, then I'm not sure how Yennefer would know about it.

Yeah, you are right:
He approached and leaned on the railing beside her. He felt the warmth emanating from her, and the faint scent of verbena. He liked the scent of verbena, although the scent of verbena was not the scent of lilac and gooseberry.

Do you think Yennefer knew that about Essi and Geralt and that's why Geralt made that comment? But why? Still confuses me.

It seems like I have forgotten to show the actual letter, which Geralt was suppose to give Emhyr:

However it looks like this is one of the few oddment of the removed content.

What kind of arrangement? What demand of sacrifices? Leaving her in an unfortunate situation?

It doesn't make any sense anymore, unless you look at the removed content, in which it is implied that Yennefer betrays the member of the lodge to get the help by Emhyr. There was a whole thread dedicated to that and I really don't want to talk about that again, it's just nuts and I am glad for once that CDPR discarded the idea of it completely.

The way it is now is fine.

The Lodge helps Ciri and for that they are allowed to live.

At Thanedd Keira was chatting with Sabrina the whole evening, it seems like they were rather quite close gossip girls, since they were more of the same mind.

Sabrina was chatting with Marti Sodergren (whom Keira dislikes) at Thanedd, not Keira.

Do you think Yennefer knew that about Essi and Geralt and that's why Geralt made that comment? But why? Still confuses me.

No idea :unsure:

What kind of arrangement? What demand of sacrifices? Leaving her in an unfortunate situation?

Argh...I won't be surprised if that stupid cut content happend off screen :dry:

The new additional dialogue lines are also in this video, you can either watch it here again (and read the comments!) and/or read my comment here, as I already adressed this and it still pisses me off that from all our, my criticsm this is what ended up at CDPR and made it in the patch.

I do not see what is there to be pissed off about, CDPR have no obligation at all to change content in their game just because fans wanted it. They may consider a suggestion if it is something they would also want themselves, but it is normal that most suggestions related to content are rejected.

Sigh, I still hope Blood and Wine will have something in petto for me, for them, but to be honest I think not hoping for it anymore is actually better for me in the end, so I don't get disappointed again like with the patch, sadly.

Why would an expansion change characters in the base game, and for no good reason at that ?

The last video is not that interesting for the topic, so here it is before I talk about the really important one just before it:

The Witcher 3 - The Final Battle - Part27/The End

Damn… Avallac'h's surrounded the tower with a magic barricade.
Can you dismantle it?
Dismantle? No. I can make a tear, at best. But only for a moment, because there's no--
Specifics, Yen. Will we both get through?
No. You must go alone.
I'll come back - with Ciri.
I know.
Agored, teirgane agored!
Now, Geralt!
I'm fine. Now go… and give Avallac'h my heartfelt regards.

Yeah, she is fine. She was left out the last times anyway, doesn't hurt to do a last time.

Didn't think to warn me?
Didn't think it worthwhile to tell me, warn me of your plans?
Ciri: I'm sorry. I know, I should have… but I feared you'd not understand.
Ahhh… Feels like I'm talking to Yennefer..

Heh, except for that, there is not much going on regarding the topic. I added a little bit at the end of the video, but you can also read that in the following text :)

So coming to the best part:
Yennefer's wish for the future - Part 26
(updated version)

Yen? Why're you here?
To see you.
Something happen?
Not yet. But it might soon. We may not survive this. In fact, our chances are slim.

True, things could get rough.
Well, we are here to battle Eredin and the Wild Hunt at full strength. Could be like Sodden. Could be worse.
Nothing could be worse than Sodden was.
Listen to me. Once it's over, if we survive… I wish to leave, go far away. And I'd like you to come with me.
Where?
Wherever. To Poviss, beyond the Dragon Mountains, Zerrikania, even. As far as possible from politics, plots and so-called high society.

You dropping politics? That'll be the day.
You? Dropping plots and politics for good? You're in your element in that world, it's your life.
Time to start anew.
I'll believe it when I see it. Even now, you're up to your neck in it.
Yes, but only to set matters straight, to be able to withdraw having retained the upper hand.
What then? A small, secluded hut with a flower garden to tend to?
Why not? If that is what you dream of?
We shall leave together, go where we please, do whatever strikes our fancy.
So. Coming with?

Course I'll go.
I'd go anywhere with you.
The answer I was hoping for.
Go, Geralt, Avallac'h awaits.
And don't get killed, witcher.

For me this is as perfect as it can be, as it is exactly what they (both!) always wanted, to be far far away from everything, putting everything behind them, but they never had the chance to do so. They tried at the end of the books, but Sapkowski didn't let them exactly.

After setting everything straight they can finally do what they want, whereever they want.

It's the dream both always had for a very long time, the fanboy dream I ever had for them.

Time of Contempt
He thought for her and Yennefer smiled, listening to his thoughts. The smile quivered on her cheek along with the crescent shadows of her eyelashes.
‘A home?’ asked Yennefer suddenly. ‘What home? Do you have a home? You want to build a home? Oh . . . I’m sorry. I shouldn’t . . .’
He was quiet. He was angry with himself. As he had been thinking for her, he had accidentally allowed her to read a thought about herself.
‘A pretty dream,’ said Yennefer, stroking him lightly on the shoulder. ‘A home. A house built with your own hands, and you and I in that house. You would keep horses and sheep, and I would have a little garden, cook food and card wool, which we would take to market. With the pennies earned from selling the wool and various crops we would buy what we needed; let’s say some copper cauldrons and an iron rake. Every now and then, Ciri would visit us with her husband and three children, and Triss Merigold would occasionally look in, to stay for a few days. We’d grow old together, beautifully and with dignity. And should I ever get bored, you would play for me in the evening on your homemade bagpipes. Playing the bagpipes – as everyone knows – is the best remedy for depression.’
The Witcher said nothing. The enchantress cleared her throat softly.
‘I’m sorry,’ she said, a moment later. He got up on an elbow, leaned across and kissed her. She moved suddenly, and hugged him. Wordlessly.

The Lady of the Lake
'After miraculously finding his Ciri, he allows her to leave.
He leaves her alone again, even though, as someone rightly pointed out here, it is still bad times. All of this happens to the witcher, because a woman wanted it. The witcher always does what this woman wants, a certain Yennefer of Vengerberg. If he at least got something from the sorceress in question … But he gets nothing. The truth. as King Dezmod used to say, looking at the chamber pot after relieving himself "The mind cannot comprehend this."'
'I suggest,' said Geralt, picking up a cup with a wry smile, 'to drink and change to topic of conversation.'
'Right,' Zoltan and Dandelion said in unison.

Geralt, staring out the window, smiled at his own thoughts and dreams.
'That darkness you speak of,' he said, 'is a state of spirit, not matter. To fight something you need to train something quite different than a witcher. It is time to start.'
'You will start to retrain? Is that what you were thinking?'
'Not at all. this job holds no interest to me. I will go into retirement.'
'Is that right!'
'I'm serious. no more being a witcher.'
There was a long silence, broken occasionally by the furious meows of the kittens as they scratched at each other in a game.
'No more being a witcher,' Yarpen Zigrin repeated. 'Ha! I don't know what to think about that, as old King Dezmod said when caught cheating at cards. But i have a very bad feeling. Dandelion, you have travelled with him and spent a lot of time at his side. Has he shown other symptoms of paranoia?'
'Okay, okay,' said Geralt with a stony face. 'No more jokes, as King Dezmod said when all of his guests at a feast began to go livid and croak. I have said all that I had to say. And now down to actions.'
He picked up his sword, which was hanging on the back of his chair.
'Here is your Sihil, Zoltan Chivay. I return it to you with gratitude and recognition. It has been useful. It has helped me. It has saved lives. And taken lives.'
'Witcher …' the dwarf raised his hands in a defensive gesture. 'The sword is yours. I did not lend it to you, I gave it to you. As a gift …'
'Hush, Chivay. I give you back your sword. I'll no longer need it.'
'Quickly,' Yarpen said. 'Pour vodka into him, Dandelion, because he is talking like an old Schrader when he fell into the mine shaft on his head. Geralt, I know you've a deep temperament and a sensitive soul, but do not talk such crap, as you can see, Yennefer is not here, just us old wolves. Don't tell us old wolves stories of a witcher not needing a sword, the world is not like that. You are a witcher and you will need …'
'No, I won't,' Geralt gently denied. 'Perhaps this will surprise you old wolves, but I have come to the conclusion that it is foolish to piss in the wind. That it is foolish to stick my neck out for anyone. Even if that someone pays. An no, this is not an existential philosophy. Believe it, but suddenly, I have taken a tremendous affection for my own skin. I have come to the conclusion that it would be stupid to risk it in defence of others.'
'I noticed,' Dandelion nodded. 'On one hand, it is smart. On the other …'
'There is no other.'
'Yennefer and Ciri,' Yarpen asked after a little while, 'have something to do with your decision?'
'Much.'
'Then everything is clear,' Zoltan sighed. 'I have no clue how a master swordsman will adapt to normal life. But, try as I might, I cannot see you planting cabbages, although I do have respect for your choice …'

To stop being a puppet in the political game and to stop risking his own life for mere orens.

It also shows how much Yennefer has changed through the whole years and how much she shares the opinion of Geralt now. They don't want to be exploited by others anymore, all they want is living their life, together without anyone dictating them what they have to do.

All they want is to live a normal, quiet, boring life, togther.

Yes, the ending is not fancy, but it is exactly what they always wanted, exactly what I always wanted for them, it's the very perfect ending in my opinion.

Just imagine them looking like this in a small cabin in the middle of nowhere, how can you not be happy about the ending then?

source (Yes, I freaking love that artwork. Pure Happiness. I even have it as wallpaper for my smartphone :heart:)

and that's it, all 3 of them can be free to do whatever they want.

I hope I could help at least some people to understand Yennefer a little bit better and not just amuse those, who already liked her in the first place. I had a lot of fun with it, even though I took my sweet time for the last parts ;)

I wished we could have another trilogy, especially now when they finally decided to include Yennefer and Ciri, but even if the last expansion doesn't give me anything new about those three together, I at least know that CDPR gave them the very best ending I could have imagine for them, so I am really thankful for that and that's coming from a hardcore stubborn fanboy ;) and now excuse me, I need a tissue or two, because it's raining inside my room.

Edit: Oh, and if you haven't seen it yet, check this out I made some months ago. It has not much to do with the thread, as it doesn't explain anything, but only shows what happened, but maybe it eases the pain to say goodbye to those characters for quite some time, it worked at least a little bit for me:

Last edited:
For some this "of course not" is a bit suspicious, however we discussed this long and exhausting once and no, Yennefer wasn't involved in this, simply because of her age.

Well maybe we interpret it in a different way, but when I read the books I had a clear impression that Yennefer was involved "mixing" elder blood gene.
Baptism of fire: "Fringilla, following the gaze of Triss Merigold, saw Yennefer’s hands clench suddenly the carved arms of her chair. This is what now unites Yennefer and Francesca, Triss thought feverishly, still avoiding eye contact. The calculation. Because, what they did had something to do with parks and breeding rabbits. Yes, their plans for Ciri and Kovir’s king, although seemingly unlikely, are completely real. They have already done this. They place who they want on the thrones, they create links and dynasties as they wished, as it is more convenient for them. The used charms, potions and aphrodisiacs. The kings and queens enter into foreign marriages, often morganatic, against any plan, intentions and treaties. And then those who want children and should not are administered secret measures to prevent pregnancy. Those who did not want to have children, but it was necessary to do so are instead or the promised cured were given placebos, water with licorice. Hence, all these incredible connections. Calanthe, Pavetta... Ciri. Yennefer was involved in it. And now regrets it. And she is right. Heck, if Geralt finds out about it...

Damn, thought Yennefer, with effort keeping an indifferent expression on her face. What damn snare entangles this girl? Damn, how can I look in the witcher’s eyes..."

I think that Yennefer was involoved in all of that but of course she didn't know that this kind of manipulation might affect someone she loves

Last edited:
It also shows how much Yennefer has changed through the whole years and how much she shares the opinion of Geralt now. They don't want to be exploited by others anymore, all they want is living their life, together without anyone dictating them what they have to do.

All they want is to live a normal, quiet, boring life, togther.

Yes, the ending is not fancy, but it is exactly what they always wanted, exactly what I always wanted for them, it's the very perfect ending in my opinion.

Just imagine them looking like this in a small cabin in the middle of nowhere, how can you not be happy about the ending then?

THIS.
This is what The Witcher is all about in my opinion. Two extraordinary, magical and yet damaged people, finding their humanity again, finding their way home to each other and their family.
So yes this ending is beautiful and perfect, it suits the characters very well. Well I still like the ending we got in the books way better, more emotional and poetic, but as far as "fanfiction" can go, the games did a great job with that.

By the way, your fanvid is wonderful, I watched it a while ago and now I can't hear this song without thinking of Yennefer :laughing:

Last edited:
check this post:
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...eirs-(books)?p=1894875&viewfull=1#post1894875

Yennefer could take a part in royal blood manipulation, which might have indirectly affected Pavetta and Ciri. Speculation.
She had nothing to do with elder blood experiments.

Well, but there's a problem that AS himself made some misatakes in chronology (for example some people instist that seasons of storms cannot happen in 1245 (AS version) but it must take place somewhere in 1251. Also when Crach remembers story about Ciri and Hjalmar he says that she was a 12 years old girl which is probably also not true, she could have been max 9 or 10 years old then.) So he could confuse something with Yennefer's chronology as well.

Kallelinski:

Ever tell you about the time Dandelion bought me a sword?
Was that in Kerack? Just after we'd…
Decided to take a break. Yeah. My swords had… disappeared, doesn't matter how. And Dandelion insisted I had to be armed. Decided he'd buy me a weapon. Came to me, beaming. "The truest Viroledan steel! Good price, too, so good it felt like I was stealing!"
Naturally, blade shattered first parry I threw.

Just finished reading Seasons of Storms, love how it's only because of a certain someone that Geralt got his swords back anyway....
:pride2:

Well, but there's a problem that AS himself made some misatakes in chronology (for example some people instist that seasons of storms cannot happen in 1245 (AS version) but it must take place somewhere in 1251. Also when Crach remembers story about Ciri and Hjalmar he says that she was a 12 years old girl which is probably also not true, she could have been max 9 or 10 years old then.) So he could confuse something with Yennefer's chronology as well.

Certainly we know how old is Yennefer and that elder blood experiments were done way before when Francesca was a young sorceress. It is all written in the post I've linked and also in books.

'But I will go back to the tests that Goidemar ordered us to be carried out...’
‘Us?’ Yennefer asked while raising her head. ‘Who precisely was that?’
‘Tissaia de Vries, Augusta Wagner, Leticia Charonneau and Hen Gedymdeith,’ said Francesca calmly.
‘Additionally, I joined this group. I was a young sorceress, but a pure blood elf.
And my father... my biological father who disowned me... He was a Sage.
I knew what the Elder Blood gene was.’

So again Yennefer had nothing to do with elder blood experiments, which you claimed in your previous comments (even elsewhere). She was probably inloved n royal blood manipulation as many other sorceresses of her age.

Last edited:
Just finished reading Seasons of Storms, love how it's only because of a certain someone that Geralt got his swords back anyway....

Yep, more than 300 pages of his clumsy attempts to get them back and of course it was Yennefer who achieved results :wisegirl:

'But I will go back to the tests that Goidemar ordered us to be carried out...’ ‘Us?’ Yennefer asked while raising her head. ‘Who precisely was that?’ ‘Tissaia de Vries, Augusta Wagner, Leticia Charonneau and Hen Gedymdeith,’ said Francesca calmly. ‘Additionally, I joined this group. I was a young sorceress, but a pure blood elf. And my father... my biological father who disowned me... He was a Sage. I knew what the Elder Blood gene was.’

Ok, my bad...now I have no other option but to read the books again so I won't make such a mistake again :D

I do not see what is there to be pissed off about, CDPR have no obligation at all to change content in their game just because fans wanted it. They may consider a suggestion if it is something they would also want themselves, but it is normal that most suggestions related to content are rejected.

Why would an expansion change characters in the base game, and for no good reason at that ?

ach, sight, I refrain from posting a slightly sarcastic comment to that, it wouldn't do anything good to the discussion or the forum or me :p

If not people had cried for weeks on the forum, I am pretty sure CDPR hadn't changed/added a damn thing. If they weren't satisfied with the game how it was, they wouldn't have released it in the first place. However they changed/added some things, because people draw their attention to the "problem" and that's exactly what I tried/trying to do, but with much less success apparently. I don't have this huge crowd of mainstreamgamer behind me, only the hardcore nerds, who love the books to the same degree they love the games.

I couldn't care less about the romance. In my opinion CDPR didn't try to sell a typical gaming romance with Yennefer just like they did with Triss (here and the last games), but a relationship with all the consequences in such one and that's all I wanted, to see their complicated and complex relationship, to see them come together and reunion the family again, and to a certain degree they delivered really good, but not to the point it was once (aka the ending of the books), it's just missing one little step and maybe we still get it, maybe not.

So be happy with what you got, while I still bitch and moan about it, because that's the only thing I can do at the moment and for the past months and maybe, just maybe a wonder occurs and CDPR still gives us our family moment with all three together and not just two of them.

Something like this:

and not separated like this:

Why isn't she just sitting next to them?

Most of the time they just left Yennefer out of this and I am sitting here like, why?

Yes, Geralt and Ciri has an unique relationship, but so have Yennefer and Ciri. The game did a great job to show what Geralt and Ciri have, but not so what Yennefer and Ciri have and mostly because Ciri doesn't act like she used to or they didn't let Yennefer participate in such events. I didn't even realized that after my first playthrough, because I was playing Geralt and therefore I was witnessing everything from his POV, but if you take a step back, you will realize that something is missing. That they forgot what made Yennefer/Ciri unique, their mother/daughter relationship and with that the constellation of those three together.

The last part of the game is really similiar to what was happening in the books. The big bad antagonist was defeated (Emhyr/Vilgefortz) and Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri had finally time for themselves and they used it wisely. For instance Ciri had a lot of unfinished business and both, Geralt and Yennefer, accompanied her and not just Geralt like in the game.

Ciri met the Lodge, but she didn't ask Geralt for advice. Yennefer went with her to the meeting, but she didn't intervene, she let Ciri speak for herself and it was a really emotional scene for both of them and it showed once again how much Ciri feels towards Yennefer, as she uttered her wish to be called "Cirilla of Vengerberg" from this point on. She didn't want to be called "of Rivia" like Geralt, no, she wanted to be called like her mother:

She didn't care anymore for her fancy noble name, she wanted the name of her mother, because that's what she cares for, her family.

The Lady of the Lake
‘That ugly scar on your face,’ Sile said indifferently, ‘we will magically remove or disguise. You will be a beautiful and mysterious woman, and I guarantee that Tancred Thyssen will go crazy for you. We will have to invent some personal details. Cirilla is a nice name and not so rare, so you can keep it. But you still need a last name. I would not be against it, if you used mine.’
‘Or mine,’ Lady Owl said covering the smile on the corner of her lips. ‘Cirilla Eilhart also sounds nice.’
‘That name,’ the hall rang with the silvery voice of the elven queen, ‘is pretty in any combination. And each of us here would love to have a daughter like you, Zireael, Swallow with the eyes of a hawk. You are the body and the blood of Lara Dorren. Each of us would give everything, even this Lodge and the fate of the kingdoms around the world, to have such a daughter. However, it is impossible. We know that it is impossible. So we envy Yennefer.’
‘Thank you, Lady Philippa,’ Ciri said after a few moments, squeezing the head of the sphinxes in her hands. ‘I also feel honoured with the proposal to take the surname de Tansarville. However, it seems to me that my new last name is the only thing that I can choose for myself, I thank the two mistresses. But I want to be called Cirilla of Vengerberg, daughter of Yennefer.’
‘Ha!’ a sorceress flashed her teeth, who Ciri guessed to be Sabrina Glevissig of Kaedwen. ‘Tancred Thyssen will be a fool if he does not marry her. If he instead choose another princess, he would be a fool and blind, not to recognise the diamond among the glass beads Yenna, I envy you. And you know how sincere I can be with my envy.’
Yennefer thanked her with a gesture. Without a shadow of a smile.

On the surface she barely moved, but on the inside she probably couldn't be happier. Maybe she didn't move a muscle, because otherwise she would probably have cried for joy, I certainly did, when I read it the first time, or the second, or...

...for Ciri Yennefer is as important as Geralt is for her.

Both Geralt and Ciri travelled to Stygga castle because of the same reason, for Yennefer. Geralt wanted to rescue her and so wanted Ciri, even though Ciri knew she would probably lose her life in doing so. She was ready to give her life for her mother, just like Geralt was ready to do it for his lover.

And this is missing in the game, her dedication and feelings towards Yennefer, but probably only those who read the books will realize that, which is a damn shame and it also explains why not the same huge crowd is crying for it here, but only a much smaller group of dedicated fans, who knew the whole story and not just Witcher 3.

Ciri never called Geralt her father, not even stepfather or something like that, it was always Geralt, but Yennefer? Yeah, she called her mommy/mother and so did Yennefer call her daughter/ugly owl, because that's what connects them, that's how they feel towards each other. For Yennefer Ciri is her own flesh and blood and the same amplies for Ciri, and of course Geralt (Yes, I know Ciri tells Gretchen that her father can do much more in that flashback, but my point isn't that Yennefer is more important for Ciri, but just as important as Geralt is for her. So of course Ciri thinks Geralt as her foster-father, but she never called him directly like that.).

They did a good job showing how Geralt and Ciri feels towards each other, but not so for the whole family structure, but since this doesn't necessary affect the normal player or its "romance" (I really despise that word in this context, because that's not what CDPR tried to show), it faded into the background.
Sadly this egocentric view is the standard in gaming, the mass didn't care for other things. Everything has to resolve around the player and only the player, so in the end who cares if a side character doesn't show enough affection for another side character, if it doesn't concern the player, right?

Well, I care.

I might be playing as Geralt, but I am also seeing the story from the point of view as a reader and not just as Geralt and seeing how CDPR managed to show what Geralt and Ciri connects or what Geralt and Yennefer connects (as you can see in this thread, they actually did a good job at it, even though it can't replace the books), I am pretty sure they could have done the same for Yennefer and Ciri in the same really good way and with that show this family united again, but this didn't happened like it should have been.

Even at the end of the game (even in the emperess ending, when Geralt and Yennefer are sitting in the pub) Geralt and Yennefer doesn't say goodbye to Ciri together, it's only Geralt, why? :(

How hard could it have been to show Geralt and Yennefer together, hand in hand, saying goodbye to Ciri? Not for final like in the books, but with a smile on their faces? How hard could that have been?

sigh.

If not people had cried for weeks on the forum, I am pretty sure CDPR hadn't changed/added a damn thing.

You missed the point. If the changes were something CDPR did not want, they would not have made them just because 0.02% of the people who bought the game were complaining on the forum. But it is true that if no one complains then they might not make changes either, they do not have infinite resources and one has to accept that they cannot make a perfect game. Thus, a change has the best chances of being implemented if it is both a good idea according to the developers themselves, and it is also reasonably widely supported. In the case of your suggestion, there is no evidence of either.

If they weren't satisfied with the game how it was, they wouldn't have released it in the first place.

Maybe in an ideal world, but in reality they cannot delay the release infinitely, it was already delayed twice and content still had to be cut. Especially towards the end of the game, where the patch (coincidentally ?) made the most changes. It can also be shown, using information from the leaked documents and also from some bits left in the final version of the game, how changes late in the development are likely responsible for many of the issues that the people who wanted the patch complained about.

However they changed/added some things, because people draw their attention to the "problem" and that's exactly what I tried/trying to do, but with much less success apparently. I don't have this huge crowd of mainstreamgamer behind me, only the hardcore nerds, who love the books to the same degree they love the
games.

It is perhaps best if I quote a response directly from one of the developers:

I can assure you that we were not sitting in a board room checking a bar graph over the mass market appeal of adding additional dialogue lines to appease some elusive crowd.
We saw the feedback because we read the forums, we decided that it was a very valid opinion that we personally wanted to fix and that it was a fix that we could in fact do rather easily. It's as simple as that. Every time we have something to say or announce, we happily do that and tell anyone who asks if we can, but if that is not the case (yet), we simply keep observing the forums, read all the feedback and discuss it. Don't worry, we are always there.

Can you show me a post by someone from CDPR where your "problem" is acknowledged as such ? As surprising as it may sound, they did admit fault when it came to other issues (such as the Wild Hunt, or the Reason of State quest), even if that does not necessarily mean they have plans to make changes, because fixing those may simply be too expensive compared to just adding a few dialogues.

In my opinion CDPR didn't try to sell a typical gaming romance with Yennefer just like they did with Triss (here and the last games), but a relationship with all the consequences in such one and that's all I wanted, to see their complicated and complex relationship, to see them come together and reunion the family again

That may be your opinion, but it is CDPR's game, and if they wanted to give a romance choice between Triss and Yennefer (however disparaging your views are regarding the former, they are subjective and not everyone will agree with them; nor is any of the choices objectively "canon", by the way), and also wanted a story about a dysfunctional family and Ciri becoming independent, they are entitled to those decisions. It is quite understandable if they do not undo them to cater to your demands.

Can you show me a post by someone from CDPR where your "problem" is acknowledged as such ? As surprising as it may sound, they did admit fault when it came to other issues (such as the Wild Hunt, or the Reason of State quest), even if that does not necessarily mean they have plans to make changes, because fixing those may simply be too expensive compared to just adding a few dialogues.

Maybe this: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...ll-spoilers)?p=1825585&viewfull=1#post1825585 ?

That may be your opinion, but it is CDPR's game, and if they wanted to give a romance choice between Triss and Yennefer (however disparaging your views are regarding the former, they are subjective and not everyone will agree with them; nor is any of the choices objectively "canon", by the way), and also wanted a story about a dysfunctional family and Ciri becoming independent, they are entitled to those decisions. It is quite understandable if they do not undo them to cater to your demands.

And this is YOUR opinion not CDPR like you trying to sell it.

That post does not acknowledge the lack of Ciri-Yennefer interaction as a problem, so it is not a good example. What it does is that it denies that it was done this way because of Triss (contrary to popular belief), and it emphasizes the importance of Geralt-Ciri and Geralt-Yennefer interaction. For comparison, here is a post that does clearly acknowledge another issue. What you linked has a tone of defending the current state of the game, what I linked defends the idea of making a change.

For completeness, here are all the further developer comments from the same thread:
Post 1 (8th July)
Post 2
Post 3
Post 4
Post 5
Post 6 (24th July)
It was ultimately neither confirmed nor denied that there is an issue, the feedback has been forwarded to the story department, and (from the last post on 24th July) if they have any news, they will let you know. However, the fact that the discussion was 2.5-3 months before the release of patch 1.10 and there are still no news after 8 months does not look very promising. In the other thread, the "off to work" post I linked is only 3 weeks after the first developer comment.

And this is YOUR opinion not CDPR like you trying to sell it.

It is what I see in the game without expectations from the books, and also from the bits of information available from interviews and developer posts. I am also not "selling" it as someone else's opinion (note the "if" in the first sentence). But I think it is not unreasonable to assume that the developers' opinion is consistent with what is publicly visible, unless there is evidence to the contrary.

@Kallelinski @ajiehb @sv3672 - I'm not sure how resurrecting events from six months ago is useful in terms of having a productive discussion. You've all said these things many times before, so maybe move on?

There have been discussions recently between Triss fans and Yen fans that were civil and didn't involve armed conflict. I think we'd like to keep it that way, not turn the clock back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom