Explaining Yennefer's behaviour in the game (with a canon Geralt as partner)

+
@Kallelinski Just out of interest. Do you plan of finishing this thread with the additional Yennefer content provided in BaW? After all, you wrote about Yennefers Wish for the future as the final segment that we will most likely see between them and for their future, but that isn't the case anymore. Would be nice to hear what you have to say about it and if they should add some additional cutscenes inside the house with both Geralt & Yen interacting with the unicorn and the dress, the unicorn for love purposes and the Dress maybe we get to see her try it on and Geralt tries to suppress a laugh and she looks at him furious and he just goes "im joking, you look beautiful" or something. Seems unlikely, can't ask for to much. But imagine one more patch before they left the game for good and in this patch, Ciri turns up one day when Geralt and Yen are just getting out of bed and they have a family group hug and you can talk in a 3 way conversation for a solid 10 minutes. Would be perfect.

Hmm I think the Waifu in what i said 2 months ago would be to much and although it would fit perfectly. Might not fit into the game or fans of other choices, romances, quest endings might get salty.

Anyway. Just came to realise how much damn effort has gone into showing people who Yennefer is by Kallelinski, it's insane the work effort. I think everybody on the forum should read this over. These are insanely detailed.

Last edited:
Geralt and Yennefer have finally a home.

Ahh.
Unexpected as ever.
And beautiful as ever.

Won't you even ask why I've come? Or how I found you?
Wouldn't get a straight answer anyway.
Quite true.
Used to bother me, all your secrets... Now I know if you have something to tell me, you'll tell me. Don't need to ask.
I missed you, Geralt. Madly.
Come outside. We can hold hands and stare at the sky. Like in some shitty two-crown romance.

Brought a lot of books.
Brought quite a few books... Lemme guess - working on a new spell?
Not at all. These aren't grimoires, just pleasure reading . "The Name of the Orchid," "A Widower for Half a Year."
Hmm. Always thought you too busy to make time for something as impractical as pleasure reading.
Because I was. But now, I'm not.
A few weeks ago I awoke to the realization that I know not what to do next. I have no plan, I have no goal.
And you know what? I like that. Finally I can stop thinking about politics and focus on what's important to me.
Which is why I came here.

Toussaint - like it?
Liking Toussaint so far?
Hmm... The landscape's lovely and the towns are charming, no question about that...
But...
But the southern sun plays havoc with my wardrobe. To be blunt, wear black down here and you're pretty damn hot.
Hmm... Might need to think about changing your color palette. Off white and pea-green, for instance?
Mhm. And I'll wear scents distilled from turnips and daisies.
I think I shall simply stay in the shade. And you'll bring me cool drinks. At regular intervals.
Bring you whatever you want.

Having a house... fells... strange.
You know, feels kinda strange having a home.
Mhm. I must say I never pictured you owning real estate.
Was something of an accident... but I'm not about to complain.
Yen... Back then, before we fought the Hunt... Said you wanted to run away with me, to the world's end. This vineyard... good enough?
Hmm... Yes, although... there's one thing missing...
Namely?
I shall give you a hint. It's large, white... has four legs... Category - taxidermy.
Oh yeah. The unicorn.
Fine. You can bring it down here.
I knew you'd see things my way.

We made it. Found our happy ending. Who would've thunk?
Every thought this day would come? Me and you... Peace and quiet... bees buzzing, birds chirping...?
I almost regret delaying so long before coming to you... I was quite the silly goose...
You have doubts? Though I imagine it might've been hard, coming after me. Always were proud as a peacock.
Please, Geralt. I'm not like other sorceresses to feel that following someone means my wings have been clipped.
Ooh, watch what you say about your colleagues - remember, it's an ill bird that fouls its own nest.
Well said, witcher. You're not only handsome, but wise, too... I feel a bit like the cat that got the canary.
Yeah, and I'm... Hmm. Dammit. You win. This time.
Hah!
How'd that start, anyway? Our duels in wordplay?
Forgotten? It was at a vernissage in Ban Ard. You started it to keep from going mad with boredom. I remember finding your sense of humor both groan-worthy... and somehow endearing.
Never change, Geralt. I beg you.

Let's talk later.
So... talk again later?
Of course. I'm not going anywhere.

Why did it took me so long to write something about this? Honestly? I have no fucking clue what I am suppose to write to that except that it is perfect. So much time has passed now and I still don't know what I am suppose to write about it, because I still can't believe it is true.

This is EXACTLY what is suppose to happen after this Yennefer's wish for the future and it is just beautiful.

This is how I have imagined their life would look like after finishing the main game and now I can even see it.

Geralt was once bothered by all her secrets, but only because he felt she was witholding something from him. Now he knows that she won't do that anymore and tell him, if something is wrong or important. He doesn't need to doubt her anymore. They trust each other to fully extent.

Yennefer realizes that there is more to life than her job, she can focus on what is important to her and that's him.

Both finally understand that all that matters in the end is being together with each other.

It's the most happiest cliché happy ending I could ever have imagined for those two, I still get teary-eyed when reading or watching this, because it just feels so damn good to have the perfect ending for them.

I know, I know this is a lot shorter than people thought I would write, but as I said I don't know what to write except it is perfect and shows both exactly how they are meant to be. Flirty, funny, honestly, trustfully and passionate.

It is the end I always wanted for them since I finished the last book years ago, so in a way not just their dream was fulfilled, so was mine.

Never change, Geralt. I beg you.
I beg you too.

P.S.: I just wished Ciri was somewhere too...

Last edited:
Well, this is something a little interesting that I came across tonight. It links a little to the post here - provided that you completed the Witcher contract to kill Morkvarg before you begin Missing Persons. (I believe Kallelinski alluded to it in the post, but didn't include it in the playthrough)

It isn't a cutscene, but occurs while Geralt & Yennefer are walking toward the garden. This is not verbatim - I wrote it down a few minutes after so probably made an error or three.

You didn't mention dealing with this Morkvagg character

Oh, you know me. Don't like to bring my work home with me

Hah. I didn't think you liked the concept of home. Remember when I asked you to move in with me at Vengerberg? Such a row...

Yeah, those were the days

Nothing massive, but a nice little callback to their earlier lives in the books. Both delivered the lines very cheerily - no sniping, just reflection. No idea if that would be different if I'd completed the same circumstance but had played Geralt as a pain in her backside though.

Anyway, it's nice that after almost 700 hours, I'm still finding new things in this game
:whut:

Oh... a nice thread it was. I feel like I want to bring it back to life again. Seems it's a bit too late to share my thoughts on this topic though.

I know that a lot have been said about Yennefer’s storyline in The Witcher 3, “pro et contra” have been discussed thoroughly and her behavior seems to be explained, too. I also realize it’s been a long time since the release of the game, but still I want to share my thoughts, because this character is worthy of note, even though many years have passed.

I’d like to tell what I think of Yennefer’s interaction with the witchers at Kaer Morhen. Actually, it’s more about how three witchers react on her and her requests. In my opinion… “I know your opinion!” (Oh, God)

Before I start, let us presume that narrative in this chapter is written solidly and in the way it intended to be written, and mistakes are minimal. Otherwise any explanation of any character’s behavior along with discussing the story itself is pointless.

When you arrive at Kaer Morhen and meet Vesemir, he lets you know that the witchers are deeply offended by Yennefer’s behavior. At first, it seems they have their right of not liking her – it’s all fine, because she has rather a difficult temperament. But what is really important is her position – a mother trying her best to rescue her daughter – witchers’ behavior and understanding of this is close to… zero. They think of her as if she came to the resort and considered them her servants. What I mean is that they know she tries to find and help Ciri, they also know every lost minute can be fatal, it means no time for courtesies – and that is why Yennefer demands they help her. After all, Vesemir, Eskel and Lambert do care for Ciri, don’t they? And if the only way to get her back is taking orders from the person they dislike – how possibly their dislike can still be of any importance?

Vesemir’s argument on that matter is that Yennefer won’t deign to tell them what she’s planning to do – so he finds her guilty of arrogance and, maybe, hypocrisy. Actually, it surprised me very much that the witchers (Vesemir and Eskel) suspected the enchantress in planning something different than rescuing Ciri, something profitable to herself in some way. Because I can’t find any other explanation of Eskel’s remark that Yennefer used Geralt before (?) and could do so again. In this context Yennefer should’ve been a moral prick to seek for benefits – when I had this impression of her, I wouldn’t even let her in Kaer Morhen. So, out of many reasons, Yennefer was right not telling witchers everything. Once she does that, witchers confront her. You can easily imagine that they would’ve been even less cooperative if she told them all upon her arrival.

Geralt’s behavior is incomprehensible and dumb, too. It’s a nice thing that RPG lets players choose replies, but this chapter felt to me as an exception, because it’s impossible to avoid Geralt’s offended manner of speech as it’s included in his “neutral” lines. Here is the fragment I’m talking about:

• The guys… they’re not exactly happy with you.
  • Why is that? (funny, it’s the very question I’m asking myself in this… article)
  • Because you are not willing to say what you are planning. You’re treating them like pages, not including them – us, actually, because I feel that way, too.
I find it the meanest thing to say, especially the last piece of it – “I feel that way, too” and even more so because there’s a chance Geralt knows everything by now (if you helped Eskel and Lambert first) – what the witchers were really doing instead of helping while Ciri is in danger and Yen is struggling to save her. This conversation, however, is amusing, because Yen’s previous line is about troubles she had with witchers and Geralt is like – “well, next time you should be nicer with them… aaaghm, us”. I wonder what she did him wrong – made him swim in cold waters of Ard Skellige?

Though the whole thing is hilarious, I’d like to note the voice acting and animations in this scene – you can see Yennefer regrets she has to keep the secrecy.

It’s also absurd when Lambert delays his journey, Eskel has picnic and spends time admiring the views, and Vesemir… well, we shall come back to him later. It’s absurd because Yennefer told them about the Wild Hunt and the curse – is that not enough to wake their enthusiasm up? It seems not. As I said, she is a mother striving to rescue her daughter. Honestly, you have to be a real bastard to not help her, yet that’s what they do. Then Geralt appears – and everything’s fine. But let’s admit – he could play gwent in Novigrad taverns for a year, come to Kaer Morhen and find Vesemir toy with Uma.

As it comes to the old witcher, his attitude towards Yennefer is shown in the first dialogue with Geralt at the gates of the castle. He laments about the sorceress throwing the bed out of the window. Then he comes to the realization this whole thing is about Triss – which is, of course, so unevident. But it is apparent that throwing beds is Yen’s peculiar habit. In other words, you have to be extremely indifferent to everything linked to Yennefer (her relationships with Geralt included) to not see the reason of her fury or dislike her badly to avoid the obvious facts. Anyway, it took him a long time to make this conclusion, and meanwhile he was hammering beneath her window. That’s what I call vengeance. Let’s think it over now. Yen arrives at Kaer Morhen, tries to lift the curse, feels desperate, because nothing works, and most likely has hard times to fall asleep. And that’s when uncle Vesemir’s moment of glory finally comes. He meets it with a hammer in his hands. It’s childish of him and it’s all fun, but it misses the context – CIRI. IS. IN. DANGER. Dammit.

Usually Yennefer is the one who is blamed for rudeness, but Vesemir’s behavior is even more crude in the scene with the sorceress and Uma. In fact, his rudeness is almost borderless. In this conversation he dares to mention that the witchers have helped her – so he takes control from now. But there is no helping to recall – only Lambert’s boose, Eskel’s picnic and Vesemir’s constant “dog training” instead of finding the source of disturbance, for example. Anyway, being a dominant male, the old witcher provides us a vague explanation of his behavior – it turns out he knows an alternative way to cure the cursed creature. This idea didn’t come upon him suddenly, but he wouldn’t share it with Yennefer until the last moment, because she wouldn’t tell him her plans, either. In other words, he felt righteously offended. But it’s not the point – as all this time Vesemir wanted things to be his way, he agreed with Eskel’s and Lambert’s inaction. It’s clear that the witchers aren’t eager to take orders from the sorceress and that is where Yennefer needed his authority, but no, not when his man’s ego suffers. And if you come think of it, maybe Vesemir had some other reason to idle – imagine, he does his ritual before Yennefer finishes her preparations and it turns out his method doesn’t work. In that case he’d actually had to do what she says. The mere thought of it must be unbearable to him, so he kept his secret probably thinking to himself like “ha, I’m gonna win the contest”.

Now let’s summarize – Vesemir wouldn’t tell about the other method and wasted time, wouldn’t encourage his wards to get the job done, wouldn’t determine the source of disturbance, but he would make Yennefer enjoy her stay instead. Which is wonderful. And after all this he says “you got our help” and finally reveals his plans. Just in time, Vesemir! And Geralt’s reactions are great disappointment. You can choose to say something like “time’s running”, but you can’t say to witchers that they had a week and still did nothing before he arrived. At this point, I guess, I should be glad there remain three lines in defense of Yen – “Fuck you, Lambert”, “Mind your manners” and “Got something against Yen?”. Yennefer deserves to stand up for, but the game just wouldn’t give you a chance to do so. Irritating, really, especially when you have plenty of options to complain.

That’d be enough to say, I think. It’s just the quest at Kaer Morhen really bothers me, many things there are… strange. And I realize the intention to make Yennefer as difficult character as possible so she would trigger controversial emotions. But it only triggers annoyance, because there is nothing scandalous about her, she is still the most reasonable and everyone else’s behavior is foolish and hard to explain. Her character is the one closest to life, while others remain to be cartoonish. To a certain extent, it just because it’s permissible for gaming characters to act inconsistently, to wait for a player to trigger their actions. But Yennefer is more vivid, lively character in this regard – she acts as if there is nothing else but the main quest, the only storyline, so you don’t have time to play gwent, visit brothels or look for a frying pan, and it causes many absurdities and, in particular, a delusive impression of Yennefer being rude, impatient and sometimes immoral. Inherently, this thought leads to genre and narrative issues, but maybe I’ll deal with it some other time.

Top Bottom