Exploring Cyberpunk 2077

+
I don't know about their decision making these days, but Marcin Iwiński said in the past they'd be interested in making Linux games if Valve produces some successful Linux console. Their first attempt with Steam Machines didn't go anywhere as a product really, but at the same time they didn't stop investing into Linux gaming technologies - you literally can play CP2077 on Linux already with adequate performance because of their investments which is great, but it's basically done without CDPR getting involved even.

So I guess we'll have to wait and see if what Marcin said will apply to Steam Deck this time around. If it will succeed as a product, then it shouldn't be worse than Stadia I suppose for CDPR to be interested in making the native versions. I.e. it will have your marketing and market penetration possibly. Arguably, Stadia isn't even that good at that today.

The benefit is better performance in comparison to how it can be done now (i.e. Wine + vkd3d-proton translation from DX12 to Vulkan and etc.).

I'm also interested in where they are taking their future games. Mechanics in CP2077 are indeed good but some things can be built on, like even discussed above (like more advanced transport system, self driving cars and etc.).

And interesting idea about future Witcher games. Making custom characters there can be cool too.

I'm also not against CDPR getting into more settings. We still didn't see a decent Vampire: The Masquerade game in the recent times (Bloodlines 2 basically flopped?). Let CDPR partner with Paradox / White Wolf for a new masterpiece.

Last edited:
Looks like big patch is out (1.5). I'll test how it works on Linux (not sure if it changes any graphics).
Post automatically merged:

Reworked throwing knives - knives are not lost after each throw, but automatically return to V's hands after a set cooldown time (dependent of knife rarity). It's also possible to pick up thrown knives, resetting the cooldown.

Oh, that's a good one!

Last edited:
In general it feels like such a massive patch that it's worth playing the whole game again. Or may be I should wait until expansions? I don't know if such huge updates happened in the past (I only played mostly 1.31, starting with 1.3 which was a minor update).

Added a benchmark mode. You can find it in Settings > Run Benchmark.

Oh, this is cool!

Added a "Toggle walking" option when playing with keyboard. It is activated by pressing G during exploration. The key can be rebinded in Settings.

And this is very cool :D

In general it feels like such a massive patch that it's worth playing the whole game again. Or may be I should wait until expansions? I don't know if such huge updates happened in the past (I only played mostly 1.31, starting with 1.3 which was a minor update).
We don't know when expansions will be released, so the wait could be long (maybe even very long).
But it's the patch who added the larger amount of improvements and new little features, like knives, gameplay rebalance, NPC AIs... All the previous patchs were almost only focused on bug fixing and performance improvments.

I found death and taxes in Judy's apartment but if i pick it up i cannot sleep in Aldecaldo camp.

So might need a new save to pick it up, lol

First launch after reboot: fine.

Second launch:

Code:
wine: Unhandled exception 0x80000003 in thread 114 at address 0000000140005D32 (thread 0114), starting debugger...

Fun.

Seems like a lot of people are affected by this bug. I'll wait for some fix in Wine or further patches from CDPR.

@Marcin Momot: regarding the startup crash, it also happens on Linux. Someone did some debugging here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/su6n9q
Can you please direct to your developers.

Last edited:
For crash on startup if you start the game form HDD it loads on the first try. On further one it doesn't because data is already in the filesystem cache. Dropping filesystem cache allowed me to work around that problem. It's one thread that handles audio not doing things fast enough and another thread crashing things when that happens (loading stuff from HDD without cache slows down that second buggy thread so audio one finishes set up before the second one tries to do stuff that otherwise would crash it).

But really this is a race condition in the game itself that CDPR should fix.

Trying this new benchmark mode with my Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT on Linux.

My settings are max except screen space reflection quality is set on Ultra, not on Psycho (the latter really degrades performance). Ray tracing off since radv doesn't support some extensions yet.

Just sharing some experiences here.

Got to act 1 and used some points on Dagger Dealer only to find out that after throwing a knife that costs around 400+ Eddies you can't even pick it up anymore. Argh... no, thanks? I have to go back to before selecting that perk.
I found an ice machine during the 'play it safe' mission. I use it (25 Eddies) and get one ice cube, that I can't pick up. Can someone help me with this? It's driving me nuts!

Just had an idea. The game should introduce iconic quickhacks, to make crafting them make more sense. Otherwise you can just collect all quickhacks from access points (which I basically did, never crafting them).

And that Bartmoss quest should provide some of the iconic ones.

Just had an idea. The game should introduce iconic quickhacks, to make crafting them make more sense. Otherwise you can just collect all quickhacks from access points (which I basically did, never crafting them).

And that Bartmoss quest should provide some of the iconic ones.
Crafting its own QHs is only fine if you want legendary QHs as fast as possible. If I remember, you start to get legendary ones after reaching level 35 (and you have to count on "luck" to get the one that you want quickly enough). But if you invest all of your attribute points in INT directly, you should be able to craft your own legendary at level 14.

Yeah, I get that but items still provide more incentives to craft them, becasue you can't loot or buy legendary iconic ones, only craft them. Quckhacks don't have something comparable so personally I didn't feel like investing in crafting them and waited until I got all of them from hacking access points.

Plus having some unique quickhacks could make it more interesting and more tied to the story, like that Bartmoss quest I mentioned above.

Top Bottom