Exploring the Witcher 3

+
I think I opened such thread in the past, but I can't find it now, and I see no other similar threads. Warning: this thread can contain spoilers, and I would rather prefer to avoid using spoiler tags, so I assume you have played the game already (though I'm still in the middle of first playthrough).

The world of TW3 is so huge, and it's a lot of fun exploring it. I just stumbled across A Tome Entombed quest, where professor Vairmont asks Geralt to help open a sarcophagus found in the crypt under Novigrad sewers, leading you to discover a slumbering vampire there. The interesting part is, that the crypt is sealed with a brick wall, which I assume that vampire built to prevent anyone from coming in. But how did the professor get inside?

I found a rope hanging behind the statute, so possible he used that. But it's hard to see where it's leading and if there is any opening above. There seems to be some ledge there.

Is there some "noclip" console command? Would be interesting to confirm if there is another entrance into the crypt;

Last edited:
I think I opened such thread in the past, but I can't find it now, and I see no other similar threads.
I looked as well, and found your old thread from 2017, but, given the time elapsed, I think you can start a new one.
I just stumbled across A Tome Entombed quest,
Oddly enough, I missed this one in my last play-through, and am planning to look for it again, next time I'm in Novigrad.
Is there some "noclip" console command?
I'm not positive there isn't, but I don't think so. There is, however, a mod for that.

Thanks for finding the old thread! That's the one I meant, but it didn't come up in my profile for some reason :) Feel free to merge them if you want.

Yeah, I've seen some mods but was trying to find if there is a standard console command for it. If nothing else, I'd get those mods eventually.

The reason I stumbled on this quest, is that I decided to explore the tower near Tretogor bridge, but noticed a way down, so instead of climbing up, I went exploring the dungeons, and found that crypt :)

Mm-hm! I started my sixth playthrough earlier in the year, and I found 1 new quest and 2 short encounters that I had never seen before I ever got to Kaer Morhen the first time.

One was just to the southwest of Novigrad...a peasant couple being denied passage along the road. Such a short but surprisingly tense scene. Everyone trying to take advantage of someone.

Ah, yes, I think I know the one you mean. As I recall, the man offers Geralt a hint about treasure hidden in the ruins near Downwarren as a reward?

I don't know. :( I thought -- I'm not going to risk a fight over this, so I told the people to try another way. Was trying to play the neutral Witcher where I could.

I thought -- I'm not going to risk a fight over this, so I told the people to try another way. Was trying to play the neutral Witcher where I could.
What, no sudden impulse of altruism, eh?

I never managed to remain neutral, in any of the games. Too much knight-errantry, I suppose. . . .

However, as I look over it again, you mentioned the south-west of Novigrad. I think the incident I recall takes place somewhere to the south-east, nearer Oxenfurt.

I always run into that encounter while jusat wandering around; the dismounting animation suddenly kicks in if I'm on Roach and surprises me. I usually have already been to the treasure place by the time I go that far north, but I always help the peasants regardless. I'm pretty sure I've never sided with the Redanians or stayed neutral.

I know I found something I'd never seen before during my current playthrough, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was.

Regarding A Tomb Entombed, I once got lost in the sewers and accidentally found that quest while level below-ten. I think I ended up having to leave the area to come back later because the vampire was just too strong (skull enemy).
Never actually thought about how the professor got in... I wouldn't be surprised if he had some magical help, or is a magic-user himself.

Or, maybe HE built the wall in an attempt to stop other people from coming in and stealing his find. Or had other people build the wall; either way sounds plausible.

Or he could have used that rope. :p
I think a simple free camera might allow "access" through the roof; it certainly goes wonky like often enough. Might not work when trying to do it, though...

What, no sudden impulse of altruism, eh?

I never managed to remain neutral, in any of the games. Too much knight-errantry, I suppose. . . .
I always run into that encounter while jusat wandering around; the dismounting animation suddenly kicks in if I'm on Roach and surprises me. I usually have already been to the treasure place by the time I go that far north, but I always help the peasants regardless. I'm pretty sure I've never sided with the Redanians or stayed neutral.

I've always found playing "evil" characters to be rather imbalanced in games. Works out well here. Not that Geralt is "evil", but it does make literary sense to have him be not too likeable. (It was KoTOR 1 that actually pulled it off for me the first time. Becoming a Jedi...then falling completely to the Dark Side made total sense. It's fun to explore the roles.)

However, as I look over it again, you mentioned the south-west of Novigrad. I think the incident I recall takes place somewhere to the south-east, nearer Oxenfurt.

Actually -- yes -- I think you're right. I think it was me saying, "I always go to one of the southern gates. Let's go north this time." And I think it was right along the river heading to Novigrad's eastern gate.

he could have used that rope.
I had a look at the scene of the crime last night, and this seems the simplest explanation, as the rope descends from a hole in the cavern roof. However, as for how the professor reached that hole, I wasn't able to trace a possible path.
By the way, I didn't know katakans were shapeshifters, like real higher vampires.
I think they are a sort of higher vampire -- the lowest level, it would seem -- at least in Wild Hunt. There are two examples of this in Novigrad, but I don't think you've encountered the second quest yet, so I won't spoil it.

the rope descends from a hole in the cavern roof.
But the cavern is under the city, which means the professor could not have set up the rope in the place where it is unless there is an entrance to the entrance somewhere either in the city or at the end of a really long tunnel outside the city.

Hmm... I think I will investigate further. This is getting fascinating.

But the cavern is under the city, which means the professor could not have set up the rope in the place where it is unless there is an entrance to the entrance somewhere either in the city or at the end of a really long tunnel outside the city.
True enough. I suspect it would either be in some house (probably locked), or another section of the sewer, locked off by a gate. You can always sniff about, of course, but I'm not sure the level designer expected anyone to pursue the matter much further than the rope.

And, on the topic of pursuing things further, I've always felt this particular quest could have been extended a bit more. No sign of that tome, no matter what. . . .

I'm not sure the level designer expected anyone to pursue the matter much further than the rope.
One of my favourite things in games like the Witcher 3 (open-world, single-player) is to try and find stuff beyond what's clearly visible or easily accessible. Often ends up being a waste of time -- which I suspect will be the case here -- but it's super rewarding when it actually accomplishes something. :D

I used the free camera to go directly up from where the rope hangs and came out somewhere in the marked area, near the marketplace with the "An Elusive Thief" contract:
ropefromcavern.jpg

There is no way the professor could have descended from the street, so he must have used magic or some other trickery.
PS. Right-click and View Image for full size.

Ah, I simply enable console by adding this to general.ini

Code:
DBGConsoleOn=true

But I guess free camera needs extra stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom