Extremly bad performance on Next Gen Update!

+
Why are you expecting a 3070 to run 4k raytracing? Nvidia themselves told you it wouldn't do that.

it's a damn 2015 game! NO, even with Rt there is not a single reason for this pathetic mess! 4k or not 4k with a RTX 3070: This is definitely not NC, there are not tons of light sources, cars, pedestrains, buildings etc. It' unacceptable. Period.

cp2077, now this "nex gen" (my @$$) tw 3 = CDP lost all his credibility. Permanently. Best wishes if they even think I'll give them money for phantom liberty
Post automatically merged:

Guys you can run this game in DX11 just by using the witcher3.exe in the x64 folder instead of the x64_dx12 folder ..... Put your Vulkan wrapper DLLs in the x64 folder, make a shortcut for the witcher3.exe in that directory, move it to the desktop and run it from there. Or if you need Steam then try to point Steam to start the game from EXE in the x64 folder.

With RT off, TAAU, everything else set to Ultra+ and DLDSR enabled I'm running the game on a 5800x, RTX 3070 Ti @ 1440p and averaging 115 FPS with worse case lows in the 90's. With RTSSGI only enabled and DLSS Balanced it drops down to 56 FPS average with lows down to 40. However if I enable RTSSGI from GeForce Experience which doesn't even use the RT cores or DLSS (and I have DLDSR enabled) I average 75 FPS with lows still above 60 so I just locked the game to 60 FPS and it's smooth and stutter free.

Absolutely brilliant! let's play the witcher 1.31! this is was what we were waiting for :facepalm:

Last edited:
Absolutely brilliant! let's play the witcher 1.31! this is was what we were waiting for :facepalm:

If you actually had half a brain you would have clicked on the actual witcher3.exe in the x64 folder (DX11) and see that the exe is version 4.0.0.65171 NOT 1.31. Nearly all the graphic enhancements except for RT are in the DX11 version of the game now. The people that are trying to make the game work on Linux or the Steam Deck prefer to use the DX11 version for the conversion to the Vulkan API

Witcher 3 DX11.png

without RT your "graphics enhancements" in dx11 are basically the texture packs from nexus plus minor stuff here and there, it doesn't matter the "exe version", you smart guy (about the "half brain")!

CDP project CLAIM:

The DirectX 11 Version
This version has no Ray Tracing support and lacks some of the general graphical improvements introduced in the free Next-Gen Update,

If I turn off RT my old modded TW3 (texure pack, lod enhancements, reshade and more) is BETTER than this and run WAY better in 3300*1800 with a GTX1080 (!) than this "next gen" mess on a RTX3070 in 1440p in my second rig! :coolstory: :facepalm:

Last edited:
Hello everyone, how can I go back to the previous version of the game in epic games? Since the performance of the current version is very bad

Hello everyone, how can I go back to the previous version of the game in epic games? Since the performance of the current version is very bad
As far as I know, on Epic, sadly you can't. Epic simply don't allow to install previous versions for any games.

"Lacks **some**" implies that most of the enhancements are there .... And none of your nonsense changes the FACT it's not 1.31 but in FACT version 4.0 .... I actually tested both versions of the game (and you OBVIOUSLY did not) with Ray Tracing off and everything else set to Ultra+ and in White Orchard the differences weren't really noticeable and there was only a slight difference in FPS (1-2%)

People with older hardware and those running Linux or the Steam Deck will likely want to use the DX11 version which works and looks just fine

The game isn't only running poorly on PC but also all next gen consoles are facing similar and literally the same issues with visuals and performance. Raytracing mode needs to be patched to be a locked 30fps and actually being playable.

I've already had my game crashed various times and it's just running awfully when it really shouldn't.

I tried clearing cache on my Xbox series x etc still the same.

I emailed Cdproject technical support multiple times and idk if they will actually look into the next gen consoles to patch them aswell.

I find it quite frustrating/confusing as to why they said they are aware of PC issues and not the consoles. Did they forget about the consoles? The heck

"Lacks **some**" implies that most of the enhancements are there .... And none of your nonsense changes the FACT it's not 1.31 but in FACT version 4.0 .... I actually tested both versions of the game (and you OBVIOUSLY did not) with Ray Tracing off and everything else set to Ultra+ and in White Orchard the differences weren't really noticeable and there was only a slight difference in FPS (1-2%)

People with older hardware and those running Linux or the Steam Deck will likely want to use the DX11 version which works and looks just fine
DX11 next gen version with lack of HBAO+ looks fine? No. it's look terrible compered to old vanilla W3:

OLD UBER.png
NEW UBER+.png
NEW UBER+ RT.png

The game also suffers from pretty ugly memory leaks, after some time playing it starts stuttering very heavily and it becomes unplayable. After reloading it goes back to "normal". Using quotes here cause framepacing is still terrible and framerate very low. Sometimes after I reload a save the game fails to render the image properly and it's full of artefacts. All this with RT on.

This time I won't start sending lots of reports as I did with CP2077. It's embarassing what happened here. I would have rather waited one month more than getting this trainwreck.

I started a new game yesterday, no alt tabbing, no settings changes, the game worked fine until the first fight with ghouls, when it dropped to 20 fps and stayed like that until I restarted the game and loaded the save (everything started to have a purple hue, there were textures and geometry missing, water had weird gray lines that looked like shadows). Are you sure it wasn't pure luck? (I did skip a lot of things, though). For me it seems the moment the issues start is very random. Sometimes it works for extended periods of time, then the issue starts immediately after loading a save or a few seconds after that. But as I wrote before: usually some kind of graphical glitches come first and then it's followed by a huge performance drop.

We've got pretty different setups, so it might not even be the same issue, just manifesting itself in a similar way.
I haven't played that much. Probably the reduction in performance happens as u say randomly for other reasons too. I just reported what I found.
The game runs poorly when compared with other more modern titles that have RT even without the sudden reduction, stutter, crashes and artifacts.
Metro Exodus and Control come to mind. Even Cyberpunk 2077 runs better, more smoothly.
Made a benchmark video today. Haven't done one in a while.
Witcher 3 runs the poorest out of them all 4 RT games tested.

Surely the game needs more optimization. Pity it was released in this manner.

Last edited:
There is some severe performance degradation the longer you play in DX12.

Witcher 3 runs the poorest out of them all 4 RT games tested.
And it doesn't even have exceptional Ray Tracing. Light bounces are extremely limited and totally absent in some light sources.

I have the exact opposite experience. The game performance greatly improves after being up for 30ish minutes.

I’ve started just booting up, loading a save and then pausing and walking away. When I return it’s working fine.

And it doesn't even have exceptional Ray Tracing. Light bounces are extremely limited and totally absent in some light sources.
I got ~60 FPS most of the time in Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition at 4k DLSS Performance, VRS 2x, Extreme Preset and RT. This is a game that is only working with ray tracing GPU.
Has a comprehensive ray tracing implementation. For example it has a ray-traced global illumination tech that make every light source fully ray-traced ->all lighting is calculated in real-time with superior accuracy using ray tracing. You also have ray-traced reflections.
CDPR needs to take a lesson from 4Games.

I got ~60 FPS most of the time in Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition at 4k DLSS Performance, VRS 2x, Extreme Preset and RT. This is a game that is only working with ray tracing GPU.
Has a comprehensive ray tracing implementation. For example it has a ray-traced global illumination tech that make every light source fully ray-traced ->all lighting is calculated in real-time with superior accuracy using ray tracing. You also have ray-traced reflections.
CDPR needs to take a lesson from 4Games.

I just tested the game without ray tracing. I can't hit 60 fps in Novigrad without DLSS at 1440p with a 3060ti. And GPU utilization is 70%.

It's shockingly bad, and needs urgent fixing.

For me, DLSS actually lowers the fps that I am getting in game. Very stuttering at times, maybe 20-45 fps in Toussaint average. Frames actually drop 5-10 with DLSS turned on. Bizarre. Game looks great, but it was much more playable before with the 50+ mods I had installed. Something is definitely off here....

RTX 3080 and AMD 5900x at 4K, Ultra to Ultra+ RT settings. Fresh game install no mods and clean install (DDU) of latest NVIDIA drivers.

No, I'll likely *want* to use my 3070 to get the benefits of a 3070. And I believe CDPR want that too. The current game is bust.

Top Bottom