Eye implants

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea of switching out entire eyes is far fetched imo, even for this universe. It makes more sense if we were getting lens upgrades that did different things. The idea that the ripperdoc can plug a new eye in and all the nerves and tissue magically link up to the brain is a little out there.

The idea of switching out entire eyes is far fetched imo, even for this universe. It makes more sense if we were getting lens upgrades that did different things. The idea that the ripperdoc can plug a new eye in and all the nerves and tissue magically link up to the brain is a little out there.
Meh. Who needs magic if we have technology. Sort of this thing, but for head. Auto surgeon, cmon this is 2077.

12.png

But that is exactly what they do in this franchise: they replace the whole eye (including atleast part of the optic nerve), not just the lens. I'm pretty sure they've greatly 'simplified' the procedures in 2077, because these things require far more extensive surgery in CP2020 iirc. I'm guessing CDPR simply didn't want to have V being indisposed for several days, recovering from surgery every time they get an upgrade or new implant.

Personally I'm not fond about the idea of having something electronic which would require surgery to be changed when it becomes out of order.
Well in 2077, maybe the techology is advance enough the eye can last longer than your lifetime, then you wouldn't need to change, unless you want an upgrade.
The upside is you get to record everything you see, without using a phone anymore, even facetime with your love ones directly on your retina, and so on.
I am not sure about you, but if the precedure produce no side effect, i am sure many people will jump right in in modiftying themselves.
Post automatically merged:

Doubtful. We do know that the player can't modify self to the extent the Maelstorm crew can, so them having such modifications proves nothing.
Well, Nothing is quite settle at the moment, if they decide the player can go to a more chaos route story, then maybe these modification is avalible to the player.
Maybe we must just the Maelstorm gang to get these implant, which will be a seperated story arc from the "good hero" arc, I think more story arc that varies the endings depending on our choice is a very cool option the developers can try

In 100 years we switch from horse riding to car, train, planes and even space shuttles.
Is it so hard to believe in 2077, we can switch out the eye with electronic ones quite easily given the correct gear?
There are research at the moment in 2018, where scienists investigated the possibility in connecting the brain with computer, just like the matrix (although still at very early stage).

Last edited:
No, that is with implants. When V visits the ripperdoc she's not replacing an organic eye, she's replacing an existing implant with a more advanced model.

Are you sure about that? i think that ripperdoc take out your normal eye and put cybereye, but if that is not case that is one more big minus, all that eye did was add zoom in function and scanning, and the scanning make last boss like some older games where you see some point on boss glow and you need to hit him there.

If net jack is a must and you have cybereye from the start they already force players to have to much cyberware and we can see why V going to be immune to cyberpsychosis.

One of Developers told here on one post that companions will almost 90% time be with you, some time only one of them and some time more then one, if i need to bring companion with me then make them be more useful, example if i don't want to level up Netrunner skills, give me companion who is specialized in that, if i level up only Techie skills give me one companion that is fully combat specialized, but don't force me to put cyberware if i don't want just so i can progress in to the story.

Well in 2077, maybe the techology is advance enough the eye can last longer than your lifetime, then you wouldn't need to change, unless you want an upgrade.

Well, it's an harsh, dystopian future, so I don't thinks things can go so good, even worst in the case of the player.

In 100 years we switch from horse riding to car, train, planes and even space shuttles.
Is it so hard to believe in 2077, we can switch out the eye with electronic ones quite easily given the correct gear?
There are research at the moment in 2018, where scienists investigated the possibility in connecting the brain with computer, just like the matrix (although still at very early stage).

Well, we already have implants that allow people that are medically blind to see again. As far as I know, it has only been reliably successful with people that lost their vision (due to accident or disease). The trouble science is having now is determining whether it's working with people that were born blind or not. Since their brain developed without the ability to see, it's wholly possible that the implants are working 100%. But the brain doesn't know what to with the stimulus, so it simply ignores it.

Main point is that occular implants are not only well within reach...they already exist in a very rudimentary form. People that have them claim they can see in super-blurry vision of light and dark forms and some hazes of different colors. It's enough detail, though, for them to recognize one person from another, clearly see where a door is, and develop surprisingly accurate depth perception.

I've always wanted to see something like "infravision" work the way R.A. Salvatore describes it in his novels, where Drizzt has to wait for a few minutes to let his eyes adjust in darkness. Slowly, the blackness brightens just barely, becoming a deep, dull grey. Colors start to appear based on intensity of heat, meaning that things like hot water pipes start to become visible behind walls. Veins of ore would appear to glow slightly different colors within rocks. A character becoming enraged would go from a soft, red, natural glow, flaring through orange, yellow, and finally into white. Drizzt now "hides in the shadows" by putting his back to things that are the same temperature as he is.

It might be cool to do ultraviolet almost like a "negative spectrum" in neon colors. Activate the enhancement, and patches of colors fade in on objects in the UV spectrum, showing where certain types of scanners or fiber-otpic electronics might be. A common defensive measure might be to place UV emitters in places to "blind" people with that enhancment -- sort of like hitting them with floodlights.

Hey, you want to dream, keep dreaming. But just so you know - there will be no way around cyberpsychosis, because the player won't allowed to go into that state for the story reasons. So, yeah, it does stand to reason that players won't be allowed to go to such extremes.
I'm not dreaming, I am merely pointing out that you are stating your opinions as fact, which they are not.

I don't know how cdpr are going to handle the player and cyberpsychosis, and neither do you.

I am also not insinuating that the player could or should be able to go to the same TOTAL extreme lengths as the likes of the maelstrom boys, but I do expect the likes of cyberware to come with the same sort of 'trade off' choices that we have come to expect from cdpr. For instance, the play may be allowed to get an extreme cyberware option for one body part at the expense of having reduced options for their other body parts.

We just don't know.

As for progress...

1886 was the first automobile
1947 was the first rocket powered aircraft to break the sound barrier
1969 they put a man on the moon

Add a hundred years to that, and start the cyber age by the 2000s, and it's not hard to believe that we can achieve amazing things well beyond our current capacity by 2077

And if you told me that within 20 years everyone would have a touch screen computer in their pocket back in 1995 I would have told you to pull the other one, it has bells on...

Last edited:
Please, do not engage in personal skirmishes. Keep the discussion on the topic. No one is right, and no one is wrong. It's ALL speculation until it's officially announced. (Even then, it changes sometimes. :p)

I don't know how cdpr are going to handle the player and cyberpsychosis, and neither do you.
Speak for yourself: link.

I am also not insinuating that the player could or should be able to go to the same TOTAL extreme lengths as the likes of the maelstrom boys, but I do expect the likes of cyberware to come with the same sort of 'trade off' choices that we have come to expect from cdpr.
What ">Trade off< choices"? The main concern when it comes to cyberware is being able to afford it, and not go cyberpsycho in the process.

Well, Nothing is quite settle at the moment, if they decide the player can go to a more chaos route story, then maybe these modification is avalible to the player.
"More chaos route story"?

Maybe we must just the Maelstorm gang to get these implant, which will be a seperated story arc from the "good hero" arc, I think more story arc that varies the endings depending on our choice is a very cool option the developers can try
They cut us off of cyberpsychosis already and there are no factions that V can join. That's why I find these speculations (about the player being able to get his or her hands on this kind of hardware) to be doubtful at best.

What ">Trade off< choices"? The main concern when it comes to cyberware is being able to afford it, and not go cyberpsycho in the process.
In CP2077 probably, as your options and choices will be limited.

In CP2020 deciding what you want is often far more difficult then affording it (as long as you're not looking for cutting edge stuff).

Since we're discussing eye implants let's look at the vision options:

Image Enhancement
Infrared
Light Amplification
Microscopic
Telescopic
Thermographic
Ultraviolet

And that's ignoring a possible targeting reticle/scope, HUD, anti-dazzle, still or video imaging, or a weapon.

An eye is only so big, it can only have a limited number of options (2 to 4).

Last edited:
Since we're discussing eye implants let's look at the vision options:

Image Enhancement
Infrared
Light Amplification
Microscopic
Telescopic
Thermographic
Ultraviolet

And that's ignoring a possible targeting reticle/scope, HUD, anti-dazzle, still or video imaging, or a weapon.

An eye is only so big, it can only have a limited number of options (2 to 4).

improved miniturisation could probably increase the amount you can fit in an eye, though by how much I don't know. If phones are anything to go by, compare a mobile phone now to a mobile phone from the 1980's, and thats only 30 years diffrence

I'm curious what new options could be available. Is thre something not covered on the 2020 options?

Well, we already have implants that allow people that are medically blind to see again. As far as I know, it has only been reliably successful with people that lost their vision (due to accident or disease). The trouble science is having now is determining whether it's working with people that were born blind or not. Since their brain developed without the ability to see, it's wholly possible that the implants are working 100%. But the brain doesn't know what to with the stimulus, so it simply ignores it.

Main point is that occular implants are not only well within reach...they already exist in a very rudimentary form. People that have them claim they can see in super-blurry vision of light and dark forms and some hazes of different colors. It's enough detail, though, for them to recognize one person from another, clearly see where a door is, and develop surprisingly accurate depth perception.

I've always wanted to see something like "infravision" work the way R.A. Salvatore describes it in his novels, where Drizzt has to wait for a few minutes to let his eyes adjust in darkness. Slowly, the blackness brightens just barely, becoming a deep, dull grey. Colors start to appear based on intensity of heat, meaning that things like hot water pipes start to become visible behind walls. Veins of ore would appear to glow slightly different colors within rocks. A character becoming enraged would go from a soft, red, natural glow, flaring through orange, yellow, and finally into white. Drizzt now "hides in the shadows" by putting his back to things that are the same temperature as he is.

It might be cool to do ultraviolet almost like a "negative spectrum" in neon colors. Activate the enhancement, and patches of colors fade in on objects in the UV spectrum, showing where certain types of scanners or fiber-otpic electronics might be. A common defensive measure might be to place UV emitters in places to "blind" people with that enhancment -- sort of like hitting them with floodlights.

That is true, i also saw similar video on implants that give vision impared people some level of sight again.
The idea of having weapon that disable eye implants or other implants is realistic, but the problem with game development is that our enemy often won't use those weapon on us, because then we would probably just die. If there are weapons for us to use that disable enemies in the game, it would be common sense that they use such weapon on us.

Take the auto bullet tracking gun in the demo video, if the enemy use it on V or Jackie, we probably get shot down quite fast, even in hiding in cover. Other example is the bullet time motion drug we took, wouldn't the enemy have that also? We are just new on the street and we got this drug.
Our enemy rather fight us on some slow exo skeleton than shoting us with tracking bullets, thats rather weird and unrealistic, not sure how they can adjust that later on.

Speak for yourself: link.

"More chaos route story"?

They cut us off of cyberpsychosis already and there are no factions that V can join. That's why I find these speculations (about the player being able to get his or her hands on this kind of hardware) to be doubtful at best.

Well normally they will make V the good hero in the ending, or at least free from oppression of some sort, saving the city or the world and so on, similar to the Witcher series.
But for this game, they have the option to make an extra story arc, where V can become evil or run a gang or organisation of some sort. Of course they can choose not to include this.

But from the original trailer, it seems like we are part of the trauma extraction team, now we became a solo rouge agent.
My point is they can still change the game quite a lot.

I am sure they play other big titles like the elder scroll series, where joining different faction and complete the story of each faction grants your item or skills unique to that faction, that was a really fun part of the game.
So it is possible they can put it back to the game, who knows.

Last edited:
improved miniturisation could probably increase the amount you can fit in an eye, though by how much I don't know. If phones are anything to go by, compare a mobile phone now to a mobile phone from the 1980's, and thats only 30 years diffrence

I'm curious what new options could be available. Is thre something not covered on the 2020 options?
Problem is most of the visual enhancements are size limited more by the optics required rather then the electronics. Look at the camera on your cell phone, the lens really can't get much smaller. And one lens is required for each function. For example a lens can't be both microscopic and telescopic.

Last edited:
Problem is most of the visual enhancements are size limited more by the optics required rather then the electronics. Look at the camera on your cell phone, the lens really can't get much smaller. And one lens is required for each function. For example a lens can't be both microscopic and telescopic.
Well, one eye with microscopic power and another with telescopic design.

Well, you can get pretty good picture quality from micro sensors these days, especially compared to the things we had 10 yearsa go. Is is the case where you need to have a different sensor for each vision type or is it something that a filter or lens can handle?

Well, you can get pretty good picture quality from micro sensors these days, especially compared to the things we had 10 years ago. Is is the case where you need to have a different sensor for each vision type or is it something that a filter or lens can handle?

you need a variable refraction lens. such as one in the human eye that changes thickness. the real problem is integrating anything electronic in to flesh long term.

is most likely (but not certain by any means) that cloned and engineered eyes will end up being simpler to do once (if it can at all) the tech is figured out. more than trace amounts of metal/silicone/etc really doesn't play well with the immune system.

is why the current prosthetic limbs tend to work on using very basic impulse reading rather than digging in.

Well, you can get pretty good picture quality from micro sensors these days, especially compared to the things we had 10 yearsa go. Is is the case where you need to have a different sensor for each vision type or is it something that a filter or lens can handle?

The physical size of the lens shouldn't matter for its function. Meaning, I could have a telescopic lens that is, itself, so small it's microscopic. Plus, given as the technology already exists to create imaging devices that are far smaller than the human eye (like cell phone cameras), that would mean most of the actual eye prosthetic would be empty real estate. There could technically be a whole range of lenses or cameras in a single "eye" that switch in and out internally. Wouldn't be much need for processing equipment, as that would mostly be handled by the brain.

more than trace amounts of metal/silicone/etc really doesn't play well with the immune system.

This is certainly a concern. The body does have the tendency to treat any abundance of metals as a toxin. Titanium seems to be fine. And I just thought about conductivity and "crossed wires". I guess each implant would sort of need to be either directly integrated with all other, active implants, or they would have to be somehow shielded so that their internal functioning wasn't interfered with by other implants.

Heh...I'm imagining what it would feel like if something experienced a "short circuit" while directly attached to my ocular nerve. o_O

This is certainly a concern. The body does have the tendency to treat any abundance of metals as a toxin. Titanium seems to be fine. And I just thought about conductivity and "crossed wires". I guess each implant would sort of need to be either directly integrated with all other, active implants, or they would have to be somehow shielded so that their internal functioning wasn't interfered with by other implants.

Heh...I'm imagining what it would feel like if something experienced a "short circuit" while directly attached to my ocular nerve. o_O

I've been thinking about this; I know that piercings can have different rejection rates based on the material of the jewelery, specifically, the smoother the material on a microscopic level the less likely it is to be rejected. In your example, titanium is quite smooth, stainless steel is not, but plasma gold coated stuff is super smooth. I know this is down to the white blood cells trying to contain and remove the 'foreign object' and I'm guessing that this would affect the rejection rate of implants too. If the blood cells were repressed would this not improve the rejection rates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom