F*** and S***. That's roughly half of the vocabulary in the future.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI, to my knowledge, "Jaina" means "honey" (correct me if I'm wrong, spanish folks), so it actually didn't bother me that he said it so much.

Anyway, I've mentioned this a few times already, but I think the cursing is fine. I talk like this with my girlfriend and my friends all the time, and I'm not an edgy teenager. It's just normal. It's not offensive to anybody, and it's not gratuitous to us because we're used to it.

Suppose if you live in a more sanitized environment (as far as language goes, I don't mean to assume people's life experiences) you would be the opposite. But I honestly didn't even notice it at first, and then I started to like it because it felt like exactly how I behave in real life.

FYI, to my knowledge, "Jaina" means "honey" (correct me if I'm wrong, spanish folks), so it actually didn't bother me that he said it so much.

Anyway, I've mentioned this a few times already, but I think the cursing is fine. I talk like this with my girlfriend and my friends all the time, and I'm not an edgy teenager. It's just normal. It's not offensive to anybody, and it's not gratuitous to us because we're used to it.

Suppose if you live in a more sanitized environment (as far as language goes, I don't mean to assume people's life experiences) you would be the opposite. But I honestly didn't even notice it at first, and then I started to like it because it felt like exactly how I behave in real life.

That's about right, Jaina means honey, chick, babe. You get the jist of it.

And to the OP:
The cursing needs to be in there, majority of people curse a lot... like a fuck ton.

Ah -- I get you.

Ever watch the Battlestar Galactica reboot series? Where they would use the word "frack" to try to create a new swear word? While it's arguable that it worked out in the end, I think I could make a better case for it being extremely awkward for the vast majority of the audience. I've never once watched an episode of the show with someone who had never seen it before without them laughing, rolling their eyes, or commenting negatively on it. Not once.

Personally, I like when shows or books do that, but it's really, really hard to pull it off well. (I think my favorite to date is L.E. Modesitt, Jr.'s use of "light" and "darkness" as cuss words in the Saga of Recluce series.)

So, while it's definitely possible to make it happen, I think the vast majority of any audience will feel it creates an off-note. Especially with use of language, an audience needs an anchor for things to feel fluent. It would be really interesting if more sci-fi / fantasy tried it out, though!

yeah i recently watched the whole series, and i really enjoyed it but i never really liked them using 'frack'.
it wasnt a deal breaker but made them seem kinda childlike almost, or naive even.
i get the point of over using swear words but it can go the other way to, if you cant come up with something that sounds realistic.

"Maybe it's just me, maybe your ordinary day puts you in danger of being gutted by a bunch of people but I there is NO way I can picture anyone going "snap" ,"oh dear" ,"my lord" seconds after cheating death. "

Have you ever been in a life and death situation? I have. I was close to being trampled to death by a protective female elephant in west african bush. Trust me the last thing you'll do in those seconds is curse around. You want to stay quiet so as not to alert your enemy to your position. And after that encounter? We were all collecting our senses. You are kind of in a daze. (again not a single "holy fucking shit" )

What you describe is Hollywood movie cliches. I dont want those in games either...

i disagree, ive been in a near miss car accident and we stopped and i got out, very deep in shock and to let off the tension i was like' fuck me, that was close.' and soon we were laughing and just happy to be ok.
problem is the games use of language suited my perspective, but not yours.
maybe other story arcs/characters will suit yours more. but ultimately they wont be able to satisfy everyone.

so you really wanna tell me that when you are in a gunfight (this game is about shooting)
you'll scream around "fuckin' hell etc." whenever you "dodge" a bullet, so every cyberpunk in the city knows exactly where he should point that gun, the second you leave cover or pin you down so his buddies can circle you....

Your survival in close encounter gunfight will ALWAYS depend on the noise you make and how visible you are. (unless its a hollywood western one on one showdown) Thats really not hard to understand.

Now who is being Hollywood? Also, I don't think you know the difference between "stealth approach" and "after cover is blown".

BTW, are you talking hypothetical or do you have a DD214?
Post automatically merged:

i disagree, ive been in a near miss car accident and we stopped and i got out, very deep in shock and to let off the tension i was like' fuck me, that was close.' and soon we were laughing and just happy to be ok.
problem is the games use of language suited my perspective, but not yours.
maybe other story arcs/characters will suit yours more. but ultimately they wont be able to satisfy everyone.

My language just before I T-boned the SUV that spun out in front of me was less loquacious (okay, only one word) but had just as many expletives as your little moment of catharsis. Same when my first ship blew a switchboard and a few minutes later when one of the EDGs almost got ripped off it's mounts.

Also, injury tends to make one less concerned with stealth than some Hollywood commando; you may swear in a loud whisper through gritted teeth instead of yelling it for all within half a mile to hear, but pain tends to makes one's speech a little less filtered. Even being hit in the faceplate with a paintball is enough of a jolt to elicit expletives, though not as many as being hit in the junk at close range.

Last edited:
I...think this has run it's course.

Getting kind of mean and personal in here.

I'd add it to Suggestions but I think the devs got it now.

Been following the game since the start and let me make this clear: absolutely LOVED the gameplay demo. The aesthetic, the characters, voice acting, environment, gunplay, hacking....everything about it was brilliant. I'm super excited.

However, the only thing I found damaged the atmosphere and pulled me out of it was what I felt was a juvenile reliance on constant cursing in the dialogue even at inappropriate times.

I know people are going to immediately point out that it's a "gritty, mature" setting and it's hypocritical to complain about swearing in a game where you can blow people's legs off...but it's not the presence of swearing that bothers me, it's the excessive extent of it. Every casual line of dialogue with every character except Dex and Victor is basically F-bombs nearly every single sentence with occasional random c-bombs thrown in too in a way that feels excessive even for Night City IMO.

In context: I can understand Royce calling the player character a **** during a life-or-death fight with him. That's fair enough. He's a scummy psycho, he's in mortal danger, it makes sense. Such swearing was present with bandits in Witcher 3. That feels realistic. However, V's "I'm cleaner than a **** in a convent." line felt super forced, I've never heard even the roughest people talk that way in real life and it doesn't really fit with the rest of her character either.

Geralt swore every now and then but he wasn't like "Hey Triss, how the f*** are you doing you ****? Let's go ****ing kill some ****ing ****s!"
"Alright Geralt you grey bearded old ****! We should **** up the ****ing church of Novigrad together, the bunch of ****s!"
If they talked like that constantly I wouldn't like those characters nearly as much.

Similarly, Gilchrist screaming "THIS ****'s GOOD AS DEAD!" as you walk away from the corpo deal just felt...cringe to me. We barely know the character - I can already see he hates Stout and he's probably a slimy guy too, do we really need him screaming obscenities right after Stout has spent 5 straight minutes shouting obscenities at us? They're corporate scum, I get it. Having another c-bomb right after 5 minutes of effin' just makes me think that these people are cheesy game characters rather than people.

Same at the end of the demo. Jackie is a coarse guy, but we've been listening to him rant about "borg f***s" for 15 minutes. Does he really need to say "We ****ing pried the door open, V." at the end for +1 to the excessive curse count rather than just "We pried the door wide open" or something like a normal person would say?

-----

TLDR: I'm not against c-bombs and cursing, they fit the environment and it's a mature game. But can it be made more appropriate and less insanely excessive in the release version? It crosses the line of being believable in the casual dialogue and, in my humble opinion, dents the amazing atmosphere CDPR have built in every other part of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom