Faction Challenge is back and all new!

+

Choose your faction, complete quests, and earn rewards — Faction Challenge returns and this time around it’s all out war! Each of the 5 factions is fighting for the win, and it’s your efforts that will help decide the outcome!

How to participate?
  1. Log in to the game.
  2. Select the faction you wish to support – Northern Realms, Scoia’tael, Nilfgaard, Skellige, or Monsters — via the Faction Challenge popup or the Quests tab.
  3. Play games* as your chosen faction and complete special quests to earn rewards: Faction Kegs and Reward Points.

The faction whose supporters complete the most quests during the challenge will claim victory, granting faction-specific benefits to all players for a limited time.

For this Faction Challenge specifically, the winning faction will grant players:
  • a chance to stock up on faction Card Kegs via the Shop
  • +50% bonus XP when playing as the winning faction in Casual or Ranked play
  • a special, winning-faction-cards-only Arena event

The Faction Challenge will end on Thursday, January 24th at 12 PM (noon) CET. You can also track how much time is left before the challenge ends directly in the game thanks to a built-in timer.

Similarly, you can see which faction is currently winning at any point during the challenge by clicking the Results button in the in-game Quests tab.

————————

* Games played or won before committing to a specific faction will not count toward your challenge progress.
* Only games played in Casual and Ranked mode will count toward you challenge progress – you will not be able to complete quests via friend challenges or in the Arena.

Something still feels missing with these faction events. It just doesn't really feel like a fight between factions to me. I don't really care if my faction wins or not as there are no real stakes.

Also I thought in the past it was shown who was winning and this was regarded as a bad idea since it made people quit because they knew they couldn't win?

Something still feels missing with these faction events. It just doesn't really feel like a fight between factions to me. I don't really care if my faction wins or not as there are no real stakes.

Also I thought in the past it was shown who was winning and this was regarded as a bad idea since it made people quit because they knew they couldn't win?
Showing the progress was a bad idea because the rewards were used to be offered to the winner faction only. It doesn't matter now since you always win the rewards as long as you participate.

Speaking of the rewards, are we not having those exclusive titles anymore? I missed the NR title "Master Huntsman " and was hoping for getting it this time......

Showing the progress was a bad idea because the rewards were used to be offered to the winner faction only. It doesn't matter now since you always win the rewards as long as you participate.

So would you agree then that the challenge doesn't really have any weight to it? I don't really feel any motivation to even participate.

So would you agree then that the challenge doesn't really have any weight to it? I don't really feel any motivation to even participate.

I do. But honestly, I like the idea of everyone wins (since no one likes to be a loser, obviously.)

In most of the games, the motivation for a player to attend an event usually comes from the rewards.
I'll be happy if CDPR put the exclusive rewards of faction challenge back. This would keep the "everyone wins" condition and make the challenge attractive again. Also, a strategy many other games use to keep people with all the rewards still interested to participate in the same event is adding new rewards every year (or whatever period the team feels comfortable). I hope this is how faction challenge works......

Do you have any ideas how more weight could be added? For me the rewards seem awesome. Lots of reward points and faction kegs for playing your chosen faction and doing its quests.
That might be a lot for a new player, but it's nothing special for the old players with a nearly full or full collection of cards. I won't sacrifice my sleep time for the rewards I can get at any time. Would you still participate this very same faction challenge a year later?

Last edited:
This new system is great IMO. The quests really help by giving a sense of achievement, and also motivation with the rewards.

I don't think I'll manage to finish the very last quest, though. :think:

Problem with "real stakes" is that a lot of people end up feeling left out when you give meaningful rewards to the winner. Events like this are suppose to be fun first and foremost, not make people miserable because they missed out on some cool/valuable rewards. This is exactly what happened with first iterations of Faction Challenge event a year ago, when they gave premium gold cards for the winning faction. A lot of people ended up unhappy and CDPR decided to move away from this.

Real stakes also create another problem, since people don't want to miss out on the rewards, they will flock to a faction that is more popular/is considered stronger and has better chances of winning, even if you hide the progress. So players instead of supporting their favorite faction, they end up choosing the one that has higher chances of giving them rewards.

I do. But honestly, I like the idea of everyone wins (since no one likes to be a loser, obviously.)

That might be a lot for a new player, but it's nothing special for the old players with a nearly full or full collection of cards. I won't sacrifice my sleep time for the rewards I can get at any time. Would you still participate this very same faction challenge a year later?

Sure, if I am still overall motivated to be playing Gwent in a year, then those would still be good rewards. That would require CDPR to produce a lot of expansions and new content for the game, and in that case getting expansion kegs / reward points to plow through new reward trees and to buy expansion kegs could indeed be a cool reward! Getting a cool border and a title does not motivate me personally, although I agree that such would be nice additions.

Faction Challenge is bugged and forced me into Monsters... How come they don't implement switching factions before playing any match. This is so frustrating.

A word of warning: if anybody can not see / has any problems with faction selection cards then he/she should not try to do anything or it will bug. He/she should just restart the game and go to menu with daily quests - a button with faction selection will be at top of this menu.

Problem with "real stakes" is that a lot of people end up feeling left out when you give meaningful rewards to the winner. Events like this are suppose to be fun first and foremost, not make people miserable because they missed out on some cool/valuable rewards. This is exactly what happened with first iterations of Faction Challenge event a year ago, when they gave premium gold cards for the winning faction. A lot of people ended up unhappy and CDPR decided to move away from this.

Real stakes also create another problem, since people don't want to miss out on the rewards, they will flock to a faction that is more popular/is considered stronger and has better chances of winning, even if you hide the progress. So players instead of supporting their favorite faction, they end up choosing the one that has higher chances of giving them rewards.

Well they screwed that up bad by giving out the rewards incorrectly. That was the biggest issue with the first one. Then they messed up in showing players who was winning. I feel like they had done it better from the beginning it would have worked that way. This game is supposed to be competitive. That is the entire point. Everybody wins is boring IMO.

It would be great to see the progress of the different factions on a map. Maybe with a bit of backstory or something. But I still like the current faction challenge more than the previous ones.

Well done! :howdy:

My favorite faction is Nilfgaard.... but I'm having way more fun playing Northern Realms at the moment....but Skellige is better than both... UGH

Edit: I absolutely love how you guys implement the event in the game. Very well done. :)

Last edited:
Speaking of the rewards, are we not having those exclusive titles anymore? I missed the NR title "Master Huntsman " and was hoping for getting it this time......

There are contracts for the faction challenges that grant these titles (and borders). For the borders, 25 faction quests are required, so five individual faction challenge events to unlock the border for one faction. It'll take a while! The titles require fewer quests. Check in the contracts screen and search for "challenge" under "all".

Hello
Im playin Gwent on PS4 and it got updated to version 1.28 and it says : Minor gameplay fixes and performance improvement besides added faction challenges. Can someone tell me what gameplay fixes were added with this update ?

Do you have any ideas how more weight could be added? For me the rewards seem awesome. Lots of reward points and faction kegs for playing your chosen faction and doing its quests.
There are contracts for the faction challenges that grant these titles (and borders). For the borders, 25 faction quests are required, so five individual faction challenge events to unlock the border for one faction. It'll take a while! The titles require fewer quests. Check in the contracts screen and search for "challenge" under "all".
OMG, it's there the whole time!? They should really emphasize those are part of the challenge reward as well out loud.
I'm on the game right now. Thanks, stranger.

Top Bottom