Faction Challenge is back and all new!

+
Hey Devs,

please take a look to my idea:

The faction Challenge could be more deep. I guess that all players love Witcher's universe and you could take more advantage of that, setting up a background history in a new mode "History" or something

Imagine every leader has it's own background history. For example monsters could be fighting each other trying to find a new Leader that will bring all of them to the victory of destroying the human race.

Examples:
Witchers would not be allowed to be played on monsters, or there could be some faction cards that changes their own mind and changes the faction. Schirrú could be captured and only being played on NR faction. Or some cards could be more strong because whatever reason is happening in the history. If there is an alliance between few leaders, those could not be faced each other.

Then players choose their leader, play their cards, and after one month or one quarter, depending on leaders victories and defeats, and other stuff like which card were more popular or did more damage, all of this stuff is going to affect the actual history.

You could also release a comic or a book! :_D Even greater if Andrzej Sapkowski can work with you guys writing a new parallel universe of Witcher... That would be awesome!!

All the best

Hello, please let me give feedback on faction challenge. I am new player doing my 3rd season in Gwent. So far I experienced only faction weeks in previous 2 seasons (Scoia'tael and Monsters weeks) and faction challenge is new for me.

I liked faction weeks, which were flavourful and entertained theme and were lasting just one week, so players, who were not fans of those specific factions, could skip them. However I see fation challenge as something different. It in fact lasts 2 weeks. First week, there will be competition, where probably final winner will be dominant at least slightly. Then there will be following (I assume) faction week for faction, which won. In my opinion, that is quite polarizing and is offering some pluses, but also some significant minuses. First of all, people, who are not fond of winning faction, will have to endure it for 2 weeks instead of 1. (Slight domination in the first one, more significant domination in second one.) That is almost half of season and it has potential to significantly influence season course.

I personally chosen Scoia'tael as my favourite faction. It is really my the most favourite faction, but I try to play and test out each faction. My approach before this faction challenge was to sequentially try one leader of one faction, then after getting 100 wins with it (for contract purposes) I move to different faction and focus on that faction. So far, I managed to get my 100 wins with Brouver Hoog (ST) and Woodland Spirit (MO) and now I am in the middle of process to get 100 wins for Foltest (NR). My plan is to build reasonable deck for each faction, so I can have variety and I can also be eventually competitive in rating score. However despite I like Scoia'tael the most and I like to play that faction and I also want to get new contracts added with last update for faction challenge, this approach is not only setting back my effort (I was focusing on NR now), but it also in my opinion reduces variability from play. I do not really see any reason, why people would chose anything else, than their the strongest faction and play with it most of their duels until their faction quests are done, especially since some of faction quests require certain number of wins and thus for that duration the strongest faction will have such impact on decreased variability for 2 weeks.

I was expecting this season to be continuation of faction weeks started in previous 2 months, but unfortunately that did not happen. I really very much liked idea of Underdog week, suggested 2 month ago by @4RM3D https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?posts/11260858/ and which I tried to improve https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?posts/11261314/ In my opinion Underdog week would really add more variety into play and would in my opinin make season much less polarized, than faction challenges are going to do.

I really do not have anything against idea of faction challenges, I find it appealing, but I am not sure if it is really the most suitable form of implementation.

Btw, there is a bug with faction quests. Normally disconnection is counted as 2 wins for opponent. I was playing the first faction quest for Scoia'tael (play 6 rounds with chosen faction) and I won first match, then I was in second match. I won first round of second match, lost second round of second match and we were playing third round of second match. My opponent played all his cards and passed and he did obviously lost, because points were close and I still had 2 cards in hand. He disconnected about 3 seconds after his pass, before I could do anything and I have got counted only 2 played rounds for that faction quest, despite I was playing 3 rounds and I needed just to finish my obviously won duel. Behaviour like that is not happening to me, (I do not remember facing this situation before), but I understand it as yet another sign, how current implementation can affect lower "enjoyability of environment" set by current implementation of faction challenge.

I have to say I dont agree with people who say there should be real stuff at stake. At the end of the day, it is just pure chance so it will feel bad if I end up on the loser side. I have no problem with giving the first faction a little bit extra rewards though, maybe cosmetic ones would be nice.

Can we have an all-time table for the faction challenges in the next articles?
A table which keeps track of all the previous results with a point system. Like 1st place gets points according to the number of the participating factions, 2nd place gets number of factions -1 point and so on. Should more factions join the challenge, the new contenders will start with 0 points.
The table would be part of each faction challenge news article, so we can see the long-term results of all the challenges ever played.

Apart from this: The quests are much better compared to just winning games.
Quest 1 and 2 allow progress with rounds won, not only games. That's a very nice change to make it possible for new or non-competetive players to get at least these quests done.
Quest 4 really supports deck diversity during a faction challenge which was a huge turnoff during the old challenges. Thank you for not having to face the same deck over and over again during the event.
Quest 5 is a nice idea, even though ST's faction identity seems to be alternating between being garbage and being OP and not to play boost cards.

Showing the progress was a bad idea because the rewards were used to be offered to the winner faction only. It doesn't matter now since you always win the rewards as long as you participate.

Speaking of the rewards, are we not having those exclusive titles anymore? I missed the NR title "Master Huntsman " and was hoping for getting it this time......
Yeah it was definitely better going blind and get nothing because you missed a 50/50 and picked the wrong faction...

Just no, we already went through that and there was a freakton of complaint, in fact it was actually asked that we know which side was the winner.

Please change the 4th faction quest from getting 3 wins with each non-starter leader to getting 10 crowns.

I really hate being forced to WIN with leaders that are bad or that I don't like playing with. Everyone is basically sent on a loss streak until they get lucky, and more than once. This quest is all in all very anti-fun.

I imagine the purpose of this quest is to diversify leaders you run into. Changing wins to crowns will net the same result, but people will actually feel like progressing with every game played, instead of being stuck in the rut for who knows how long.

Thank you.

Please change the 4th faction quest from getting 3 wins with each non-starter leader to getting 10 crowns.

I really hate being forced to WIN with leaders that are bad or that I don't like playing with. Everyone is basically sent on a loss streak until they get lucky, and more than once. This quest is all in all very anti-fun.

I imagine the purpose of this quest is to diversify leaders you run into. Changing wins to crowns will net the same result, but people will actually feel like progressing with every game played, instead of being stuck in the rut for who knows how long.

Thank you.

Exactly, so the odds of you winning should theoretically be unchanged

This "Play 240 cards with xxx" quest is not easy. Skellige has 3 condition: Damage, Bloodthirst and Discard. I played 9 matches and I'm at 50/240. It is not a complain but I thought it will be faster to accomplish. I have to grind more :)

do special cards and spells count for the 250 cards with boost that you have to play as scoiatel ?
thx for help

This "Play 240 cards with xxx" quest is not easy. Skellige has 3 condition: Damage, Bloodthirst and Discard. I played 9 matches and I'm at 50/240. It is not a complain but I thought it will be faster to accomplish. I have to grind more :)
It’s actually easy, if you have the time. It really is just a long grinding quest. For NR, you need to play 240 cards with Order or Zeal. 240 is quite a lot. A bit less would be nice, or start counting for this quest the moment you start playing for your faction.

I feel the 240 cards challenge is more or less fine (there is a repeatable quest after that one), largely because it doesn't depend on winning. With a Big Woodland deck, I averaged 8 eligible cards for that quest, so it took 30 games or about 6 hours (average of 12 minutes per game). Over the course of a week, it's manageable, IMO.

It’s actually easy, if you have the time.
That's my problem ;-) It's not hard to play the cards because you don't have to win. But it takes a lot of time.
Post automatically merged:

I feel the 240 cards challenge is more or less fine (there is a repeatable quest after that one), largely because it doesn't depend on winning. With a Big Woodland deck, I averaged 8 eligible cards for that quest, so it took 30 games or about 6 hours (average of 12 minutes per game). Over the course of a week, it's manageable, IMO.
I don't want to say that this quest is not fine. But it takes a lot of time as you said. And my games are about 15 minutes so 6-8 hours for this quest only. I could make a garbage deck only with these cards but it isn't fun. So the grind is on in the next three days :)

Last edited:
For NR, you need to play 240 cards with Order or Zeal.
Is not it a bit of "nonsense"? If I am aware, there is not even single card, which has zeal, but does not have order. That means, expression part with "zeal" is redundant and useless in that statement.
Post automatically merged:

There is yet another bug with Scoia'tael quest. The final one, where you have to play 240 faction cards with ambush or boost abilities does not register all cards with boost abilities. I do not know which cards exactly are not registered by counter, but I suspect, that boost cards have to have also deploy ability in order to register card as one with boost ability.

Last edited:
do special cards and spells count for the 250 cards with boost that you have to play as scoiatel ?
thx for help

Hi, I am not sure but I don't think so. I just finished the 5th challenge with a deck that I made especially for that. It contained only boost units or traps. Was kind a fun at the beginning but a bit of a grind at the end. Played only casual with it because it had a horrible success ratio. On average I got 15 "points" towards the challenge goal.

I've one question: does someone know if in the last faction quest it counts the summoned faction cards too?

I'm currently doing this as well (and I find it quite tedious btw, the way the whole event is organized is fine overall, but they should probably either rework the numbers or rework what counts and what doesn't for that 5th challenge. Losing almost 20 times in a row or needing 5-60 games if you're going to use a deck that can get a decent winning ratio doesn't sound very balanced to me... Well, the reward is fairly nice for it so I guess I'll give I'll forgive them. This time.).
From what I 've seen, not everything counts, but I'm not sure what is not counting. I made a deck just for it and I should logically get 14 to 16 / 3 rounds played yet I get 12 pretty much every time. Since I can't really consult the number at every card played, I'm left with only suppositions about what works and what not.
I think some cards that boost don't count, even among ST cards, either that or cards not played from hand don't count at all.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Well, im playing for my Skellige, only because its the first Faction Challenge since "final game launch", and wouldnt feel right to support another, even though i already have borders/titles for SK, NG and NR and missing the rest which i could get now.

Getting really close to that 240x quest, its not so bad on SK since most of my decks have discard and damage anyway. What are Monsters and Nilfgaard conditions for the 240x?

I built myself a deck with only boost and ambush cards for the last part of the Faction Challenge. But when i compare the cards that i played with the cards that were registered towards the Challenge Goal, some obviously didn't count. Does anyone know why this might be? Ambush Cards are all the same, but there are different kinds of boosts. Do some count and others not?

I enjoyed this event quite a bit. I liked the way it was implemented into the game as well. The only thing that was annoying about it was the fifth challenge, it feels really grindy.

Thank you.
You know what I hate more? Even not having access to 3 non-starting leaders as a relatively new player. I have no idea why, but as generous this game is, the Devs seem to go out of their way to help experienced players with reward points and quests instead of new players. I am pretty much blocked from getting the reward points for this quest. I guess the players who have a full set of leaders needed the reward points much more than me...!

Top Bottom