Faction defenders

+
Nilfgaard Defender- Type of soldier, fits in a deck with soldiers, has potential and Battle Preparation opens up other possibilities.

Skellige Defender- Pirate warrior type, [Berserk abbility] also good for Pirate synergy.

Northen Realms Defender- Type of soldier, very good for trigger Crew Ability. [Also shield!]

Scoia'tael Defender- Dwarf type, Just so good in dwarf deck, lots of ot synergy.

Monster Defender- Ogroid orphan, [
2 more armor] there is absolutely no synergy in any deck, [without Spontaneous Evolution, which is not used on ogres as usual, because it's ridiculous.]
the card is used because it is the only defender of the faction.

The Syndicate has its own individual system, will be difficult to compare with others.[but you free to start discussion.]

----------------

Conclusion, the Monster faction needs a better Defender,[maby +other type] as well as many other things, because the synergy of this faction is very bad.

defenders.jpg

Post automatically merged:

Last edited:
Syndicate is missing from the comparison; you're not painting a full picture here.

The Syndicate has its own individual system, that's another discussion.

Azar Javed- Human, Mage, Salamandra, and does not position himself as a full-fledged Defender.
it will be difficult to compare with others.

Azar is one of the best defenders in the game, if not the best. The whole point of defenders is to delay attacks on your win condition and he is better in that regard because the other defenders because he spawns two cards that need to be removed.

If you combo that with Mushy Truffle and Jackpot it becomes almost impossible to remove in one turn, even with cards like Yen or Heatwave. Just think of it, every other card on this list you can heatwave away and then deal with whatever the card should protect in the next round. With Azar you will almost alway have to deal with the second scarab first bevor you can switch to the main target, delaying you for one more round.

In case of Salamander if you have lost round control that means you lose and even with last say a lot of decks struggle to get past him to Roland.

Also in case of Cave Troll, 7 body and 4 shield makes up for any missing synergy. Getting past him in the current Gerni meta is a pain in the ass, so I don't think there is anything wrong with him.

Cave Troll doesn't have a lot of synergies, but I'd take him over Ffion every day. I hate how the NG defender is incredibly susceptible to reset. ST defender is also pretty bad because he isn't very good at, well, defending. Donimir is one of the best in my opinion, followed by Azar (combined with Jackpot or Truffle he's obviously broken). Covenant and Cave Troll both do their job.

My ranking:

1) Covenant of Steel

He is, from my perspective the best defender. Why?
+His pirate tag means more armour via Crach an Craite and Onslaught
+Most difficult to remove because of his Barricade
+The warrior tag also offers further synergies (Harald an Craite, An Craite Blacksmith)

=> Maybe he needs a small nerf (lower barricade and/or body)

2) Ffion var Gaernel
+ Wonderful synergies with assimilate and tactic based decks
- Vulnerable to Morkvarg

3) Azar Javed
+ offers the opportunity to spawn 2 defenders (which means 3 valuable Salamandra tags for Stolen Mutagens and Assault)
+ probably will not spend banish or destroy cards on his little friends
- Vulnerable to Mage Infiltrator and damage units

4) Donimir of Troy
+ His shield makes removal way more complicated
+ Soldier tag offers synergies (e.g. Viraxas, Bloody Fail, Crew enabler)
+ Shield can have additional by cards like Roegner

5) Cave Troll
+ Can get 2 additional armour via Spontaneous Evolution.
- Honestly he appears to be the defender with the lowest synergies

=> Would suggest the following buff: while in hand or deck gain one armour whenever you play an orgroid.

6) Figgis Merluzzo
+ Spawns one additional dwarf which synergies nicely with cards like Brouver Hoog, Gezras, Munro Bruys, Mahakam Guard and other swarm benefitters). He has great value in dwarf deck but only limited value in non-dwarf decks.
- He is the defender with the lowest body (not counting Azar´s two bodys) which means the lowest protection potential

=> Would suggest the following buff: If he is the only dwarf in your deck gain armour dependent on the total amount of units you control in this row

My ranking:

6) Figgis Merluzzo
+ Spawns one additional dwarf which synergies nicely with cards like Brouver Hoog, Gezras, Munro Bruys, Mahakam Guard and other swarm benefitters). He has great value in dwarf deck but only limited value in non-dwarf decks.
- He is the defender with the lowest body (not counting Azar´s two bodys) which means the lowest protection potential

=> Would suggest the following buff: If he is the only dwarf in your deck gain armour dependent on the total amount of units you control in this row

And this? Figgis Merluzzo Just can be in last place. :shrug:

Council play from deck+boost, can be in any deck. [a discount royal decree in the right deck.]
Tempering- Very nice dwarf boost for 4 provision.
Even got leader for his type.

Untitled.png

i always think to create this topic, because i have the same feeling about MO defender.

Buuuut, in other hand, desite MO archetetypes are bad, MO has always something really strange and boring to deal (Kelly/ciri, fleders spawns, gernichora spawn and etc), and this defender is a pain in the ass

rrc

Forum veteran
So, we want to buff the one Defender who gets used the most? Already Cave Troll is the most used/seen defender in my experience and it always used for the most toxic (putting pre-nerf MIlva to shame in toxicity) decks out there. Lets not buff any damn defender. The weakest defender is the ST one and even being an ST main, I don't want any buffs to any defenders. Let alone the most toxic defender.

I don't want any buffs to any defenders. Let alone the most toxic defender.
With the increased amount of answer or lose Cards and the increased support of re-play/summon from Graveyard strategies i would even say that Defenders might should get the doomed status so that you can use them only once during a Match.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
With the increased amount of answer or lose Cards and the increased support of re-play/summon from Graveyard strategies i would even say that Defenders might should get the doomed status so that you can use them only once during a Match.
Wouldn’t a far better answer simply be to get rid of the remove or lose cards?

Wouldn’t a far better answer simply be to get rid of the remove or lose cards?
Sure would that be preferable, but considering last year's balancing decisions and Card additions i highly doubt that they are done with adding more Answer or lose Cards and they also usually like to work around problematic stuff or just simply wait until it is power-creeped.

Last edited:
Sure would that be preferable, but considering last year's balancing decisions and Card additions i highly doubt that they are done with adding more Answer or lose Cards and they also usually like to work around problematic stuff or just simply wait until it is power-creeped.
And that's quite weird. Or maybe they don't pay attention to feedback whatsoever? I don't know.

"Swingy cards" direction taken by CDPR during WotW - especially since the leader package drop - has been almost universally hated by the community and they still won't back down with this nonsense, still thinking it's fun or something, even though getting absolutely drowned in points by an Eist or more recently by KoB is the exact opposite of that - the defeats feel unfair, the victories feel shallow. Which has been pointed out by many people. Hell, freaking streamers who literally live off this game ragequit it/take longer and longer breaks now.
The game even managed to drive PTJ mad with this on several occasions, which is a hell of an (anti)-achevement. Spyro is complaining non-stop, mocking the balance all day. I, for one, almost miss the Double Ball times.
Oh what a luxury it was to be mad about the Double Ball! Because I didn't realise it could get THAT much worse.

But I guess CDPR logic is "BIG NUMBERS ARE KEWL"?

There was also the infamous statement about how fun is more important than balance - as if they're unrelated things - which, I guess, shows how little they understand us...or, indeed, their own game.

Last edited:
And that's quite weird. Or maybe they don't pay attention to feedback whatsoever? I don't know.

"Swingy cards" direction taken by CDPR during WotW - especially since the leader package drop - has been almost universally hated by the community and they still won't back down with this nonsense, still thinking it's fun or something, even though getting absolutely drowned in points by an Eist or more recently by KoB is the exact opposite of that - the defeats feel unfair, the victories feel shallow. Which has been pointed out by many people. Hell, freaking streamers who literally live off this game ragequit it/take longer and longer breaks now.
The game even managed to drive PTJ mad with this on several occasions, which is a hell of an (anti)-achevement. Spyro is complaining non-stop, mocking the balance all day. I, for one, almost miss the Double Ball times.
Oh what a luxury it was to be mad about the Double Ball! Because I didn't realise it could get THAT much worse.

But I guess CDPR logic is "BIG NUMBERS ARE KEWL"?

There was also the infamous statement about how fun is more important than balance - as if they're unrelated things - which, I guess, shows how little they understand us...or, indeed, their own game.
Lol, probably played Double Ball only three or four times in my whole Gwent career, but we really didn't know what we had back then ^^ Even Lippy and Draug never really got out of hand because those decks, even though too strong, had their glaring weaknesses that could be exploited. But nowadays, there's so much autoinclude stuff around that the game has become one big and stale mess....

Who would have thought I would miss Double Ball.
Feels like meta was more diverse back then before the WotW expansion (MM was fine except for the SK warrior domination).
At least there were ways of playing around opponent’s strategy feels like

Figis Merluzzo is obviously, and by far, the weakest of the defenders. You only need 7 damage to get through him meanwhile you need 11 damage to get past Cave Troll so Cave Troll (I always keep calling him Rock Troll in my head lol) is pretty good compared to him imo.
Yes, Figis spawns 1 rowdy dwarf but that's honestly quite a pathetic investment altogether for 9 provisions, Defender's main job is to protect (tank damage), and Figis is the weakest of the defenders in regards to his primary role.

Last edited:
Figis Merluzzo is obviously, and by far, the weakest of the defenders. You only need 7 damage to get through him meanwhile you need 11 damage to get past Cave Troll so Cave Troll (I always keep calling him Rock Troll in my head lol) is pretty good compared to him imo.
Yes figis spawns 1 rowdy dwarf but that's honestly quite a pathetic investment altogether for 9 provisions, Defender's main job is to protect (tank damage), and Figis is the weakest of the defenders in regards to his primary role.
Not many usually damages defenders, they are mostly just removed, poisoned, stolen, insta kill, without dealing dmg, etc.
Or engine decks doesn't really care about them, talk is about combo / synergy with other cards, that is the main power of the deck, and Troll is where it is.

Yes figis spawns 1 rowdy dwarf but that's honestly quite a pathetic investment altogether for 9 provisions,
He originally spawned 2 rowdy Dwarfs (he had a 4 strength body back then) which they considered problematic in combination with Munro Bruys, with all the stuff they introduced recently it's now also a bit funny which stuff they considered problematic and in need of a rework even if it wasn't really a top tier Meta Deck like Tuirseach Bearmaster (Deploy: Boost a Beast ally by 2. Increase the boost by 1 for every Beast in your graveyard.) or Hugebert Rejk (Deploy: Boost self by the amount of damage you dealt to enemy units on this turn.)
And that's quite weird. Or maybe they don't pay attention to feedback whatsoever? I
Don't know maybe they take their whole inspiration from the Reddit Balance Team where everything that isn't currently in the Meta is considered utter trash and where most of the complains about the balancing are getting downvoted to Oblivion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom