Faction Most in Need of Rework/Buff?

+
Faction Most in Need of Rework/Buff?

Now that the Saovine patch meta has settled down a bit, what faction in your opinion or experience feels like it struggles to compete the most, and is in need of change?

Try to give an answer and a supporting reason. E.g, Northern Realms, because their machines are really lacking damage compared to something like Nilfgaard Spies.
Or maybe you say Nilfgaard needs a rework, because outside of their Spies archetype, you feel the rest of it is uncompetitive.

Factions are mostly fine imho. All has more than a few competitive setups. Scoiatael seems the weakest (except spelltael) but that's actually because the others are too strong. I mean buffing Scoia won't solve anything but balancing others would be nice. I started having less and less last rounds finishing with close points. It's mostly one side destroys the other completely. Coin toss, card color purpose, too many units being agile, many unused bronzes and some totally useless golds should be priority.

Neutral.

Honestly, a lot of neutral cards are just too strong, to the extent that you want to run those over faction cards, particularly gold or silvers. Quite a few archetypes (particularly Scoiatel) only need one killer gold card, and we haven't had any faction gold cards for around 6 months. I guess its not wonder the power-crept neutral cards are preferred mostly.

SkippyHole;n9847241 said:
Neutral.

Honestly, a lot of neutral cards are just too strong, to the extent that you want to run those over faction cards, particularly gold or silvers. Quite a few archetypes (particularly Scoiatel) only need one killer gold card, and we haven't had any faction gold cards for around 6 months. I guess its not wonder the power-crept neutral cards are preferred mostly.

Only (relatively) new Neutral gold cards are good, most of them like Triss Merigold, Zoltan:Animal Tamer or the once top tier Yennefer: The Conjurer have since the gold immunity patch become basically useless and in some cases worse than bronzes. I think a lot of (older) gold cards in general need a boost to offset their sudden vulnerability.

Jurus331;n9847571 said:
I think a lot of (older) gold cards in general need a boost to offset their sudden vulnerability.

That's true and not one of them besides Triss need a complete rework. Like giving YenCon a shield or an armor and making it 8 point body would be sufficient to prevent her instaremoval from Iorveth or zap.. Make Duda's buff/damage 3 points and 3 units and he becomes awesome and so on...

SkippyHole;n9847241 said:
Neutral.

True.

Neutrals should be most of the time tech cards, like Eskel, Lambert, G:Igni.

If some archetypes work better with Neutrals than their own Golds, it means there is something off imo.

Reveal needs a win condition, round 3 is just so awkward to take.

Scoiatael needs new ambush units so braenn can see more use.

Wild Hunt needs a unit to move cards into frost. Drowners ability should change imo.

Northern Realms should get a machine that does targeted damage to single unit. Maybe make it a silver because this could be pretty powerful with Siege Masters anyway.

Wolfsbane should change, it's a neutral card that only works with Skellige and is complete trash if used in pretty much any other deck. Maybe change it to select an ally unit and damage and enemy by that units base power. Change it to a Skellige gold, give it a small body. Come to think of it they might as well just make that a new card altogether. I'm just not a fan of wolfsbane.

​​​​​​

I honestly don't think any of the factions need reworks but I would like to see Northern Realms get more synergy outside of machines and armor.

There are a lot of cards that I would personally change, like the Swordmasters and Assassins. Quite a few gold cards need changes and buffs too. But factions as a whole? I don't think so.

In answer to my own post I'd say Nilfgaard, Monsters, and Northern Realms could see some changes.

Nilfgaard, because, outside of Nilfgaard Spies, we don't many other competitive NG decks, in my opinion. Nilfgaard Reveal isn't weak, but it has a lackluster endgame, especially compared to other decks that can achieve the same thing with a solid endgame. Considering Reveal is NG-specific, it'd be nice to see Reveal become more prominent than Spies.

Monsters feel weak overall because every archetype (Weather, Consume) is easily derailed, and there aren't enough synergetic cards with Deathwish monsters yet to form an archetype off it; although there is potential, with cards like Rotfiend acting as an 8-value with a mini-lacerate effect. Cards such as Unseen Elder are in dire need of changes, having almost no value outside of their niche archetypes, in addition to being extremely Scorchable - compared to a leader like Emhyr, who has a larger body as well as having far more utility value.

Northern Realms outside of NR Swarm has no real power plays. A card that does a fixed 1 damage every turn seriously falls behind when compared with cards like Impera Enforcers, consistently doing far more damage. Furthermore, I'd say a lot of their power plays are vulnerable to Scorches. They don't have many ways to draw cards, rather relying on cards to pull cards from deck, which can be inconsistent.

Skellige feels both powerful and varied, and makes good use of their own unique discard mechanics, so I think tweaking rather than real changes are warranted.

Scoia'tael feels balanced overall, with the only thing I can pick at being Dwarves and Elves being distinctly unsynergystic, with only cards like Saesenthessis making use of both, otherwise it's likely you won't see a competitive deck mix Dwarves and Elves.

I believe Monsters needs a rework. A lot of their deck are one trick ponys' that are very easily countered/disrupted while other deck like Spy and Hand buff have little to no interaction with.

altaybek;n9845421 said:
[...]but that's actually because the others [factions] are too strong. Coin toss, card color purpose, too many units being agile, many unused bronzes and some totally useless golds should be priority.

Couldn't agree more. Some decks and leaders are made for one another, whereas others feel like they have clearly grown apart, and all of the high point exchanges are feeling like inflation. Golds haven't recovered from the de-immunity patch and bronze point buffs either, and the amount of agile cards feels kind of silly. I feel that arachas behemoth desperately needed to be agile to make it at all viable, but everything else? Why have any row locked cards then?

Last edited:
NR machines with ballistas and battering rams are very strong in this meta . I dont know why they are being discarded here . Plus they have one of the strongest golds in the game with shani djikstra and john natalis. Henselt in his full potential is a 40 pt swing . ( arguably the best leader in the game as when properly used , automatically wins u the round)

Monsters are lacking behind in this meta as only hybrid decks are kind of working. The deathwish archetype is still missing something. Unseen elder is arguably the worst leader in the game.

NG reveal is either too strong or too weak. It seems CDPR cant get this right as it is the most delicate archetype due to the idea of revealing ur opponent cards being problematic.

NG spies is the best designed archetype in all of the game since closed beta and should not be changed. If it feels overpowered in this meta , its because other factions and archetypes needs a buff not the other way around.

skellige are in a good position except harald.

Scoatel are good . They need new ambush cards .

I think Monsters NR and ST need some love and NG and SK should get some .... lets say reducing there possibilities ... like ressing with a Vicovaro medic only spy units from enemy graveyard.

From leaders hm i am not sure but i think Unseen , Brouver , Calveit and Foltest need some help.

Last edited:
Monbsters and Scoatel are going quite nice because you can play them various ways. SK and NG need some reworks, because each have only one proper way to play them (emyr and bran). I hope that their other archetypes could get some carryover or 3rd round boost - those are main things that win matches in this game.

Scoia'Tael need some deck thinning tools since they are currently the only faction to lack a basic unit that can pull other units from your deck (Dwarven Agitator fulfills that role partially and is very lackluster in that regard. As for the rest, Wild Hunt Navigators, Slyzards, Clan Heymaey Battle Maidens, Emissaries, Reaver Scouts). Some more powerful, even if more situational golds would also benefit them.

Skellige is overall powerful and pretty varied, but in dire need of some pretty prominent golds. People need to stop abusing coral :p

Nilfgaard is very centered around the spies but with good reason. Reveal needs a small buff :)

Monsters archetypes are very specific and very situational but that's just how the faction works, it's a high risk high reward type of thing. For example if your nekkers don't get countered/your frost doesn't get cleared, you can work wonders with it :p

And finally, Northern Realms. This is a faction with no clear archetype. There are SO many cards there that are simply out of place. See the thread linked in a previous post. The only consistent archetypes are Armor and Machines and Machines SUCK, plain and simple :p I've tried and tried to love that deck, I wanted to make machines a thing so badly but it's seriously lacking. it's even worse than how reveal was before the Saovine patch.

So, to answer the thread's question, Northern Realms. They could all do with a bit of tweaking here and there, but it's definitely NR that needs some more consistency

ser2440;n9876591 said:
Scoia'Tael need some deck thinning tools since they are currently the only faction to lack a basic unit that can pull other units from your deck

That is true, but I rather have factions feel unique and not give everyone the same kind of tools. Monsters still deserved Slyzards, but CDPR went too far with Clan Heymaey Battle Maidens for Skellige. Also, Hattori's current ability feels out of place in ST. None of the aforementioned cards are too strong or anything, but I rather see something else more befitting for their faction.

Top Bottom