Faction relationships - unfinished mechanics

+
Traces of cut content are seen here and there. I won't talk about sealed doors and buildings, but rather about gameplay systems in the context of role playing games.

1. Leftover mechanics like non-lethal dealing with enemies. It exists but has no benefits for the player, and more to that, it looks like you won't get level exp and street cred until you finish your fallen foes.

2. Street cred is granted for everything. I have no deep understanding of street cred, but it looks like an absurd to gain street reputation, by killing street folks.

3. Faction relationships do not exist. No matter how many members of the faction you take down - they are always ok with it, and their faction leaders (fixers), don't give a flip about their people killed.

4. Relationship with police is GTA-like, not RPG-like. There is no consequence to player for commiting crime. Just flee from police and wait till heat goes down.

There are games that don't try to be RPG, but they did faction relationship system better than cyberpunk. Greetings from S.T.A..L.K.E.R. Clear Sky.

Another example of faction relationships done really well - is Gothic 3. You had reputation for each city and each faction, which determined your abilities to walk into city keeps and talk to faction leaders, get more quests, and gave you access to faction armor. If you did too much damage to a certain faction, they may turn hostile to you altogether.

Meanwhile, in cyberpunk, all fixers call you every minute and just dump gigs and sidequest on you. They are MMORPG talking heads.

One minor point -- fixers are not "faction leaders". They're independent.

That said, your point still stands. One would assume there would be consequences to dealing with gang members, their unwavering indifference is jarring. Likewise, "street cred" has no meaningful value on the "street", to say nothing of how the player goes about earning it.

The police system in this game is so dumb, I've just to bulldozing my way through traffic and pedestrians. It's just quicker to get around and since it carries zero consequences, why not? There isn't even any roleplay detriment because NPCs react unrealistically, and then despawn as soon as they are out of sight.

Top Bottom